Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
pain killers and morphine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

12-24 hours/yes.
Rapid detox from pain killers can be lethal but it depends on how long you were taking them and at what dosage.  If they were high levels I would NOT recommend going cold turkey..I think a slooowwww taper schedule would be best.  But....addicts are not able to control their usage which is why a taper schedule is a little more difficult.

I would prepare yourself for what lies ahead.  This can be done but it wont be easy on you as your body is going to complain about not getting the drugs.  If you can take a week off work and lay in bed until this is over.

If you are serious about quitting you need to stay on this board as there are many other people herre that can help you get through this.  You are going to feel like HELL for about 2 weeks.  Once the physical symptoms begin to subside the mental withdrawals are still hanging on.  The cravings, anxiety, depression are the last things to go.

Get a good multi vitamin, drink LOTS of water and take plenty of HOT BATHS.  The hot bath will help with the muscle cramps and body aches you are going to have.  

I'm not trying to scare you..but I think you need to be aware of what is going to happen so you dont get discouraged.

STAY TUFF.

pain killers and morphine

About how long would it take for a person who is addicted to pain killers and morphine to begin to detox after his last dose? Is this detox dangerous?