Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
pain management & detox/switching

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

pain management & detox/switching

what should you expect of a good primary care physician in NYS when you come to them asking to help safely remove hydrocodone without cardiac effects on a person who has heart defects and cardiac insufficiency.  i have endometriosis and chronic kidney stones as well as pain during sex and for days after. i had a heyterectomy at 30yrs to help relieve this problem which has come back full swing after 2 years with the first sono showing 5cm cyst on my left ovary again in february.  i was diagnosed with severe vitamin d deficiency in january but no other diagnoses besides a mild birth defect of the spine, brain and heart and raynauds with nailbed destruction.  I currently have several stones in each kidney and some still in the left ureter even after a recent ureterocopy to remove others.  the urologist has given me the option of surgery again (which would be the third for stones in 5 years)- which he prefers but i fear more ureteral damage as i had endo on that ureter and do swell often due to prf from the obstructions. i have chosen to take the pain med for 3 months now- time got away.  i only take on average 4 but at times 6 or even 2 per day of the 7.5/500.  but recently wanted to stop because they do not help like they used to, and i fear the high tylenol is causing me more kidney retention pain but experienced very high blood pressure and heart rate. i went to my primary (as my gyno recently had licenese pulled) to follow up on the large ovarian cyst which was seen on imaging in february as well as on xray/ct for kidney surgery in july and chronic terrble burning low back and abdominal pain. he reluctantly gave me a script for follow up sono at my insistance (even though the sono results state to recheck in 1 month in feb). additionally he told me to just "stop" taking the pills and go to a substance abuse place if i want help or to just go to the emergency room if i have cardiac problems at home. my family was astounded that the doc did not help me more or seem concerned to be on top of the detox or pain management at all.  should i find a new doctor? for the cost of my visit i got a referal to psyche, cbc & tsh & pelvic ultrasound which cannot be done any sooner than 1.5 weeks.  i have an appointment next with the urologist but feel like i just made my primary think i'm some kind of drug addict. i do not smoke, i do not even drink and i do not take drugs, so why is he treating me so poorly? i thought he would give me some kind of detox plan and offer me some type of pain management alternatives or even refer me to a pain specialist. please help with advice! thank you thank you
Yes find a new doctor. Unfortunatly some docs just don't understand addiction/dependency to meds.  Up until a few years ago they weren't allowed to treat addicts and some of them still have that mentality. A good doc will give you a taper plan as well as some comfort meds like clonidine to get you through detox or give you a referal to a specialist who deals with this specifically.

What do you plan to do for pain after you get off these meds?? I would start researcing a plan now as well.