Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
paxil withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

paxil withdrawal

why is withdrawal from paxil so intense.i'm on 20mg. a day, i,ve tried cutting back to 10mg  was on that for a month, then i tried to take 10mg every other day,the second day istarted having withdrawals,tremers,heart racing,weak,ihave never felt so bad in my life.so i always goback to taking the 20mg aday.
I'm also trying to get off paxil but have had relatively few problems so far.  Try going from 20 to 15 first.  Then go from 15 to 10 and so on.  When going from 20 to 15 don't bother cutting pills.  Take 20 one day and then 10 the next.  This averages out at 15 and made the transition to 10 much easier for me.  This is my tenth day of weining and my third day on 10 mg and I really feel fine.  I just don't know what to expect from here on out.  Hope this helps!
An unfortunate problem with Paxil is encountered when trying to stop taking the drug.  Although Paxil is not a benzodiazepine, it does have some anti-anxiety properties which is why it is prescribed not just for depression but for anxiety disorders.  It appears that some people get a rebound anxiety when discontinuing Paxil, even when tapering.  You may need to taper slower, or step down to 15 mg before 10 as was suggested.  You may also need some other anti-anxiety agent to carry you through this withdrawal.  Speak with your doctor about what you are going through.  The good news is that eventually the symptoms you are experiencing WILL go away.  The bad news is it may not happen as fast as you want.  Although Paxil is a good drug for some patients I really think doctors should try other SSRI's first and use Paxil as a later resort.
Thanks Rob and Brian  I,ll try what you suggested.I also take Buspar.
All those things you're experiencing when trying to get off, I experienced while trying to get on.  I have a somewhat mild seasonal depression.  I never had an outright panic attack until my second day on paxil.  The funny thing was, the doctors acted as if it had nothing to do with the drug.  I was unable to function for about 10 days.  Just sat in bed and lost about 20 lbs.  Either someone is being misinformed or there are just some very ignorant doctors our there.  Be careful who you choose.  If they don't listen or seem to believe how you're feeling, find someone new!
I went through the EXACT same thing.  I am finally down to 10mg. a day, but can not go to every other day, and I don't know how to get off of it.  I also got heart palpitations, blurred vision, and was extremely weak.

Please email me anytime if you get an answer.

***@****
It's been about one month since I have withdrawn from Paxil.  I Took 20 mg. for paxil for only 2 months when I decided to stop the drug.  My doc told me to cut dosage to 10mg for 7 days and that would be the end of it.  WRONG!!  The symptoms I experienced were head vibrating, eyes swooshing, neaseau, dizzyiness, night sweats, vivid nightmares, crying jags, teeth sensitivity, body aches, and a general feeling of heightened anxiety.  Repeated calls to my doc were met with the response that stopping paxil does not cause these type of symptoms. She thought I might have an inner-ear infection!!!!! I noticed Doc Steve and others on this site were also saying on earlier postings that paxil does not cause these type of symptoms.  It amazes me that the medical profession is pretending this isn't a real problem.  Kind of reminds me of the phen-fen thing where the docs assure the patient all is ok - and then later on you get the OPPPPS! NEVER MIND....  Paxil withdrawl (withdrawal) can cause terrible withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms if not done properly.  I think we need to keep calling the doctors and making them aware our symptoms are not being imagined.  It seems a slow dosage reduction will greatly help prevent these symptoms; but don't think your are alone in experience them..... and don't believe everything the docs are trying to make up believe. Good Luck.
Commit to Jennifer Arbeene & Gold                                I also had the palpatations i was put on Buspar first and i got better. then i lost my mother to cancer i really got in a bad way,depression,anxiety withdrawed from family and friends. then i went on paxil, i had no side affects going on , i got better again, i,m better now, but i,ve been on it for over a year so i thought i could stop,iquit cold turkey one time and my husband had to take me to the er i had on idea that quitting would cause all those systoms, so i tried tappering and that has,nt worked either.i talked to my dr. she wanted me to see a physologist or somebody that spiecalizes in that type of drug, but my ins. only paid so much and i had to pay the first $150 and i did,t have it.i feel fine except for the weight i,ve gained and i don,t know what the long term affects might be. i do know they are withdrawal affects and they are inbearable to me. my email address is ***@**** or you can post back here. Thanks Debra
I've been on Paxil for a year and a half, but the side effects are really interfering with my life. Has anyone tried Wellbutrin?
Comment By Debra to Debbie    yes iwas on  it for a afew weeks one time ,only side affect was if i took it any later than 5:00p:m it would keep me awake at night. it really did,t help with the depression either,also did,t have withdrawals like paxil does,that,s what i,m on now and can,t get off it. don,t get me it help the problems,but i can,t get off. read my post above.
I too take Paxil for depression.  I'm am taking 60mgs. per day which seems like a very high dosage especially compared to some of the lower dosages that I've heard of others taking.  I've been diagnosed with TMJ and I am now also taking Soma for that.  The Soma makes me feel very drugged, but not in a good way.  I seem to have uncontrollable jerking motions that I'm unable to control.  It makes me jumpy.  I'm wondering if this could be due to the fact that I also take Paxil or if this is simply one of the side effects of Soma?  If it is one of the side effects should I expect it to be temporary or is it something I'll have to live with as long as I'm on Soma?  Also, I've read contradictary (sp) things about Soma.  First, I read that it is not a scheduled drug, then I found an article that listed 5 states in the US in which it is a scheduled drug.  I've also read that it isn't addictive and I've seen several posts on this message board that says it is very addictive.  I'm very confused and I hope someone can answer some of these questions.  Also, if I can't expect these side effects to go away is there an alternative medicine that might help with my TMJ?  I've tried Flexeril but it makes me very wired.  I'm very frustrated.  Please help.  The headaches from the TMJ are unbearable at times.  Thanks for any help that you might offer.
It is my heartfelt belief that Soma (Carisoprodol) is highly addictive.  Although one can maybe discontinue its use without too many "withdrawal" symptoms, it seems as though longterm use is unquestioningly addictive.  My brother died 23 months ago from a Soma overdose.  He had been obtaining it for years without prescription from pharmacists in Queens, NY, and was routinely abusing its use.  He took it under the guise of a sleep-aid for his chronic insomnia.  He was not an addictive-type person, had always been extremely clean-cut, was well-educated and in general, hardly one to abuse prescription or any other drugs.  From what I have read, there are many deaths resulting from Soma overdoses.  When my brother died, the coroner told me he was the third Soma-related death in as many weeks.  My advice is to discontinue the Soma immediately and as you mentioned, seek alternative therapy for your TMJ.  I hope this alerts you and anyone else struggling with a Soma question.  I see it as a very dangerous and insidious drug.
I also say Soma is addicting if taken for very long, i,ve took them myself some,i got the wired feeling from them, i take Flexerel now, it does,nt bother me , in that way.drugs affect  driffrent people in driffrent ways.what is TMJ.It could be the two combined, i was severly down and depressed when i started taking paxil, i was already taking Buspar for anxiety,to me the paxil is apick me up, like i,ve said in previous post, i,ve tried to get off paxil, when ieven cut back i start feeling down,like the me before paxil,so i,ve decided to stay on it all for now, to much other stuff going on in my life&familes to get in that shape right. check with your Dr. or druggist. Good Luck
My name is Lynn, not Paxil, sorry about that.  It was the first time I've posted here and I wasn't exactly sure how this thing worked.  TMJ is a name that is given to various jaw probalems, it encompasses many different ailments that affect the jaw so it's sort of a collective name for it.  The pain that it causes can be very intense.  Often the jaw locks up.  It was mentioned that different medications effect people differently and I totally agree with that.  This SOMA is supposed to relax the muscles and it seems to give me muscle spasms.  I spoke with the pharmacist and he said it's rare for it to have that effect on anyone.  Thanks to those who responded to my post regarding SOMA.  It's not something that I can take and from my personal experience I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
Hi folks

I suffered with depression and anxiety about two years ago. I was put on Paroxetine (Paxil) as it is known here in the UK and slowly but surely started to feel better and in control of my life once again. After reducing the dose to 10mg as instructed by my doctor I have now been off Paroxetine for approximately 1.5 weeks, and, like most of you here, have been experiencing very frightening side effects - anxiety, crying, dizziness, or 'vibrating head' as someone so excellently put it, nightmares, sweating, irritability etc.

I want to thank you for confirming for me what are clearly the side effects of 'coming off' Paroxetine. I really did not know what was going on and feared the worst. And this is my point.

While I think it is admirable of doctors to come on here and offer advice, I feel many of them are very ignorant to the feelings of someone who has been through depression. I don't believe this is their fault; it is just a symptom (excuse the pun) of the way in which doctors are trained. To explain away the symptoms as 'mild' or 'nothing to worry about' is extremely dangerous. Most doctors won't even acknowledge that there are withdrawal symptoms. I certainly was not told of the possible symptoms of withdrawal - if I had been I may have been in a better position to deal with them rather than worrying myself silly that my depression was coming back.

The problem with the symptoms of withdrawal from Paroxetine is that they are so similar to actual depression. Therefore, there is a great fear that the sufferer is actually going back into depression. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually go back into real depression because of this.

There are many excellent doctors out there, unfortunately, this is balanced equally by many bad doctors, and I think we've all experienced bad doctors. Doctors who invariably think you are too stupid to understand the complexities of modern medicine, who think you have no right to question their authority and knowledge, who prescribe you drugs with the pure intention of making money.

It is not my intention to go out and attack all doctors, many of them perform a fantastic service and genuinely care about their patients, but the training and attitudes of doctors needs to change - and quickly. I didn't call my doctor to find out what was wrong with me - I came here to find out and my questions were answered.

So, thank you everyone here for helping me out, you're clearly not as stupid or ignorant as some 'professionals' might like to make out.
I too am trying to withdraw from paxil. i have been on 20 mg for over 3 years. I reduced dosage to 10 mg for 2 weeks, then every other day and this week none. I have vibrating head. it feels like short bursts of electrical energy almost. Glad others experience this- I was afraid it was blood pressure increase. My other symptom is crying which I haven't done at all since being on paxil. One of the reasons I wanted to go off it was because although I was not depressed on it, I also didn't experience emotional highs- life is pretty even and bland. No joy. I also think it has affected my judgement in some decision-making. Little things but they affect life. In small ways though so while on the drug they don't seem important.
I also don't know what the long term effects are. My dr says that it alters brain chemistry and draws an analogy to diabetics taking insulin. She says that if I were diabetic I would medicate so I shouldn't feel bad about medicating with paxil. But I don't like taking drugs of any type if I can avoid it.
So has anyone out there succeeded in getting off, staying off and being relatively happy?
I am currently going through the withdrawal symptoms of Paxil. As a result, I have collated as much information I can about this drug, including side affects and withdrawal symptoms and posted them on my new Web site 'Withdrawing from Paxil - An Experience'. I hope you find it useful.

The URL is: http://www.swhite.cwc.net/paxil/index.html

Steve White
I am an attorney in the Chicagoland area, I have gone through the same withdrawl (withdrawal) from Paxil that many of you describe.  I am looking into instituting a class-action lawsuit against the manufacturer, distributor and possibly various medical practitioners concerning the improperly disclosed withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms that occur in many who have attempted to rid their lives of this incidious medication.  I would appreciate any information that could be brought to my attention concerning representations made by doctors concerning the withdrawl (withdrawal) effects of Paxil.  I know from personal experience what these horrible effects feel like, I want people to know what they are getting themselves into before they start Paxil.  From my research into this area I have found many other medications which are used to treat almost identical mental ailments that are much easier from which to discontinue.  Isn't this something you may have liked to know before you started on Paxil?
In addition, with newer advertisement campaign by Paxil, attempting to push their medication on "shy" or social fearful people, I think the public needs to know that a pill cannot make your life a social paradise without you paying a price for it at a later date.  Please contact me at the following e-mail address with any information you can provide or if you have an interest in being part of this class-action group.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have been on Paxil for two months due to panic attacks and depression.  I followed the withdrawal directions of my physician over a two week time period.  He did not mention any type of type withdraw reaction that might occur.  After being off the medication for 4 days, I felt like my eyes and head were on another planet.  I could not focus and being in the health care professional I thought for sure I had a brain tumor.  I called my family doctor who sent me to the emergency room. Thankfully the ER doctor did not think I was crazy.  I told me that the the withdrawal effects would last about one week or I could go back on Paxil and withdraw slower over a two month period.  I decided to go back on Paxil since I could not stand the withdraw effects.  Within one hour of taking a small dose 10mg I felt 95% better.  My advice GO SLOW!!!
I have been experiencing paxil withdrawal for about two weeks now and I have to say, if it wasn't for all this wonderful information submitted by my fellow paxil users on this site, I would have had myself dying from a brain tumor or some other dreadful neurological anamoly!  My pharmacist and internist both said I could just stop taking the drug when I deemed it necessary and that everything should be fine.  I was just in my doctor's office yesterday and she told me my symptoms are NOT common for someone going off of paxil.  I literally could not function:  dizziness, nausea, heavy head feeling, migraine-type headache, joint achiness, funny sensations in my eyes, are just a few of the many different problems I experienced.  In order to function, I took a 20 mg. pill yesterday and by the end of the day, life was becoming a little more bearable for me.  At my doctor's suggestion, I will be taking 10 mg. a day for atleast a week and gradually will taper to 5 mg.  Don't know if this will work, but had I known what going off of this drug would be like, I would have never taken it.

Something needs to be done about this.  Doctors are prescribing this drug and have no idea how to go off of it and deny that there are any significant withdrawal symptoms.  If it wouldn't have been for the internet, I don't know where else I would have turned because obviously the drug companies who make this drug are not adequately informing the medical community about paxil and withdrawal.  I sincerely hope I do not experience any long-term effects from using this drug, which was prescribed for me because the doctor didn't like the fact that the herbal supplment I wanted to try wasn't regulated!  Isn't that ironic?

Paxil withdrawel has been tough on me.  I was on 10mg of Paxil for 3 years; then, experienced severe depression after several huge loses.  The psychiatrist bumped me to 20mg, then 30, then 40!  I then thought I was slowly working myself off in about 2 weeks to nothing!  It was unbelievable hell!  Plus, I was scared to death (which obviously made it worse!).  I was so ill it was pushing my blood sugar into the 40's.  

I jumped back on Paxil (10mg's) for a week... then, tried to quit cold turkey.  No way!  I had a headache, pain in the joints, saw flashes of light, had the shakes, tremors and unbelievable dreams and night sweats that would wake me at night.  I started to take the 10mg's again and it all went away.  I am now trying to "slowly" work myself off by taking 10mg's every other day however, I am really feeling the symptoms.  I have heard that since Paxil has such a short half-life you need to take it every day.  So, I will take 5mg's every day until I skip days, etc.

I respond really well to ALL medications.  When a doctor recommends a dosage, I usually take half.  I can start taking Paxil and in 2 days feel it's effects!

Glad to have this web site.  Good luck to everyone!
Although SmithKline Beecham, the manufacturer of Paxil, does not make the information very prominent, they do discuss in their prescribing information (which your physician should be familiar with)that there have been reports that abrubpt discontinuation of Paxil may lead to symptoms such as dizziness, sensory disturbances, agitation, anxiety, nausea and sweating.  Your physician should have been aware of this information.
I can't agree more that this problem is dismissed far to readily by doctors, and most GPs have no idea what the withdrawal effects are of what they are prescribing.  I had dizziness, nausea & vivid dreams, but fortunately did not mistake them for erlapse of depression.  There lots of discussion about precisely this at:
http://www.socialaudit.org.uk

I have used Paxil at three different periods over the last 6 years... each time I experienced withdrawal symptoms. The dizziness was the most noticeable, it frequently was accompanied with a sensation of my eyes rapidly moving, or the need to move them about in an unnatural way.

The other dizziness-like symptom was a feeling of sea-sickness. It felt like I could hear waves and almost feel the motion. These would last anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes -- the only way to deal with it was just to quietly sit down and ride it out (sorry, pun intended). I assume this was just something weird going on in the inner-ear.

In any case, I am about to start up again on Paxil, and it's good to know now that I'm not the only one who has sufferred from the withdrawal. So I can focus on the assitance it will provide while I'm taking it and not have to worry too much about the eventual withdrawal.
I have been on 10 mg Paxil for four years and have tried unsuccessfully on three separate occasions to "go off" it.  The withdrawal symptoms have been a nightmare. It is good to see some people actually are able to do it. I feel I need to check into a detox clinic. When all is said and done, I sometimes feel I won't have a friend left in this world OR a job because of my intense angry outbursts. I can't believe how cynical and judgmental I have become!! And that's just one of the psychological withdrawal symptoms. The physical symptoms are just as bad. And don't you just love those unsympathetic MDs who prescribe it and don't know about the withdrawal let alone help you treat it? Yeacch! Any advice, or encourangement out there?

PS Steve White's site is excellent.Check it out. Many thanks to Steve for taking the time to develop this site!!

http://www.swhite.cwc.net/paxil/index.html
Hi Everyone!  I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for discussing this topic here...  I had run out of my Paxil prescription about a week ago, and after 3 days of not taking the meds (20mgs), I started having symptoms many of you have described here (head 'vibrating', tremors which felt like slight shocks, anxiety, night sweats, vivid nightmares, etc.)  I thought I was going crazy or had a serious illness!!!
Luckily, I thought about a possile link between my not taking the Paxil and feeling this way... when I got the prescription filled last night, I couldn't WAIT to get in the car & take one!
And now that I've found this bulletin board, I feel very very very relieved that it's not "all in my head"...
((((big sigh of relief))))
I'm also dreading the day I have to go off Paxil... I've been on it for about 15 mos now, but plan to get pregnant within the next 6-12 months....  I definitely won't go the "cold turkey" route!!
~tammy~
I AM TAKEING 60 MG. OF PAXIL GOING ON 7MONTHS NOW. I WAS GIVEN CLONIPIN FOR MY MIGRAINS. MY DOC TOLD ME TO TAKE 1.5MG A DAY AND AS NEEDED FOR PAIN. UNFORTUNAITLY AFTER THREE MONTHS A PLEEDED WITH MY DOC TO GET OFF.IT MADE ME FEEL TOXIC AND GROGGY BUT WITH INSOMNIA. SHE WAS VERY ANOID WITH ME AND SAID "JUST STOP THAN!"SO I DID. I HAD A PSYCODIC BREAK DOWN. I LOST EVERY THING.MY JOB MY SOON TO BE HUSBAND,MY FRIENDS,EVERY THING! WHEN I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL THE DOCS DIDNT TELL ME IT WAS THE MEDS. BUT PUT ME BACK ON THE CLONIPIN. 2 YEARS LATER IN THERAPY MY DOC(A SHRINK NOT MY OLD NEUROLOGIST)SAID THAT IT WAS TEXTBOOK CLONIPIN WITHDROL. NICE I HAVE WEENED MY SELF OFF THE CLONIPIN BUT THEY INCREASD THE PAXEL TO COVER THE WITHDRAL. THAT WAS SEVERAL MONTHS AGO AND I WANT MY LIFE BACK DESPRITLY!OVER THE PASSED MONTHS I HAVE GAIND 40 LBS,I HAVE MUCLE SPASMS,BRUTAL INSOMNA(WITCH THEY GIVE ME REMRON FOR)MY NEW DOC QUESTIONS MY GETTING OFF THEPAXEL BECAUSE HE THINKS IT IS HE BEST!WHAT DO I DO?I AM ON DISABLITY NOW UNABLE TO WORK.NOW I AM REALY LOSING MY MIND!!PLEASE HELP ME! I WANT TO BE FREE OF ALL THIS!IT WAS ALL A BIG MISTAKE.NOW WHAT?
I went off of Paxil on Monday and it is now Friday. On Wednesday I started experiencing an overwhelming urge to burst into tears at everything, as simple as dropping a pen. Then I started having what I've seen you refer to as head zaps, in which with every blink I don't feel quite sure that I can prove how much time has gone by, where I am, or what I'm doing. I figured this would go away in a couple of days, but reading this other feedback makes me wonder. I have also been experiencing acute nausea, especially in the late afternoon, and excessive drowsiness. I was misdiagnosed by my family doctor as having Panic Disorder and depression, and I've recently been diagnosed by a psychiatrist as being having Biploar II, which makes more sense as it runs in my family. My advice to anyone would be to never, ever take a medication that affects you neurologically without being extensively studied by a qualified psychiatrist. He told me that Paxil is one of the most over-prescribed drugs on the market, that family doctors without any psychiatric background cannot be expected to know everything about it, and that for the most part it is as someone below described, just masking problems that are going to continue to exist without the proper therapy, or screwing you up so that a proper diagnosis cannot be made for a long time. I was only on Paxil for 2 months, and can't believe that the withdrawal is leaving me this incapacitated.

I have been on paxil now for about six years.  I took 40mg a day.  My doctor and i decided it wasn't doing what it used to do so i am switching to prozac.  I was told to just stop the paxil and start the prozac.  For four night now i have not slept.  It has been a horrible experience.  I can't work, no way.  I am very "lost" and my head feels like it weighs a ton.  As of now i have not found out how paxil and prozac can react together, but i definately think i should have cut down on the paxil and not just stopped.  I wish you all luck in your endevors with these meds.  My doctor has been out of town for the past four days and is about to open up, you better believe i will be calling.
                                           Patrick
HI FOLKS. ABOUT ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO, MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON PAXIL. WE STARTED AT 20MG AND WENT TO 40MG. THE PAXIL WAS FOR SOME DEPRESSION THAT I WAS GOING THROUGH AT THE TIME. I HAVE HAD MIGRAINES SINCE I WAS A KID. I HAVE EVEN HAD BRAIN SURGERY TO TRY AND CORRECT THE MIGRAINES, BUT THAT WAS A SURGERY THAT HAD TO BE REVERSED, I STILL HAD THE MIGRAINES. SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON THE PAXIL, NO MORE MIGRAINES. THAT IS ONE THING I AM GLAD OF. I FELL DOWN ON SOME ICE UP IN CANADA AT MT. WHISTLER ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO, AND THEY THOUGHT MY NECK WAS BROKEN, I WAS AIRLIFTED TO VANCOUVER AND SPENT TWO WEEKS THERE. NO BROKEN NECK, BUT I HAVE 4 BULGING CERVICAL DISKS AND A LARGE VEIN THAT WAS DISPLACED IN MY HEAD AND IT IS HITTING A CRANIAL NERVE, CAUSING SPASMS DOWN THE FRONT AND BACK OF MY NECK AND THROAT, AND THEY ARE SOMETHING ELSE. THE DOCTOR HAS PUT ME ON SOMA, AND I HAVE BEEN TO SEE TOP NEUROSURGEONS BOTH IN SAN FRANCISCO AND BEVERLY HILLS. BOTH OF THEM WANT TO OPERATE. SCREW THAT. IF THE SOMA CAN HELP KEEP THE SPASMS DOWN, AND THE PAXIL GETS RID OF MY MIGRAINES, THEN I SAY "THAT'LL WORK". BETTER LIVING THROUGH CHEMISTRY. I AM SURE THE SYMPTOMS WILL GET WORSE OVER TIME, BUT RIGHT NOW I AM BUYING MYSELF SOME TIME. BUT AFTER LISTENING TO ALL OF YOU THAT ARE TAKING PAXIL AND SOMA, I AM TAKEING TIME OUT TO CONSIDER THE LONG TERM ISSUES. ANY ADVISE WILL BE WELCOMED. MIKE BISHOP.
I was on Paxil for 6 months and decided that it was time to stop taking the medication.  It was causing more insomnia than before I started the drug and I had constant muscles twitches that my husband said were keeping him awake at night!  My doctor had me take six weeks to slowing decrease my dosage until I finally have been completely off the medication for two full weeks.  I am still experiencing dizzyness, especially when I turn my head quickly etc.  But the muscle twitching is gone and I am sleeping better!  Why was I on the drug in the first place I keep asking myself-well, because I was having anxiety attacks and the good doctor thought this would do the trick and help me sleep etc! Ha

I am glad to be off this medication!  Who knows what the longterm side effects will be.
I have been on Paxil (40mg daily) for about the past 4 years.  AS I suffer from an Anxiety disorder and depression, Paxil was very helpful.  The problem is that I put on 45 pounds in the past 4 years!  I was very fit and active before this.  Now, no matter how much I work out and diet, the weight stays.  This alone is very depressing.  After trying most other anti-depressants without success, I am taking it upon my self to stop the Paxil.  I have dropped from 40mg daily to 20, and will soon drop to 10, then off all together.  I am having heart palpitations, blurred vision, and occasional "short circuiting".  I have become quite wary of these meds, their side effects and stopping them.
I was on paxil for 4 months, taking 10 mg when my doctor told me to start taking 20 mg. As soon as I started taking 20 mg i began getting these headaches that would just rotate throughout my head.

Now i have finally stopped taking it after 4 months because it really didnt do much for me. Now I am going through withdrawl (withdrawal) now for about a week and all day, every day i am completely light headed and am always tired. Im just counting the days when this will actually go away.
I am now going off Paxil and I feel like I am dying. It was so wonderful the whole time I was on it, but I wanted to try something stronger bc I felt like I had built up a tolerance and was getting depressed again. However, I guess I had forgotten how awful one can feel without it. At this moment I would give me right arm for one gram of Paxil. I have been nauseated, had headaches, sweating, extreme anxiety, etc. for days now. I feel like I'll never be OK again. This is the joy of withdrawal.

I have tried 3 times to get off of Paxil, without success. I cut down from 20mg to 10mg, as my doctor informed me to do. I have experienced the brain shocks, nightmares,dizziness,nausea. I am so miserable. My doctor told me it was a mild non addictive med. I have never experienced such horrible side affects.
Hi all. I'm so glad to have found people who are going through the same thing I am! I have been on 30mg Paxil for three months for depression, insomnia and anxiety. The only side effect I had while getting on the drug was extreme drowsiness, which went away after a week to ten days. While on the drug, I felt better than I have for literally years, although for some reason I noticed that I had dilated pupils much of the time. Anyone else experience this?
However......going off Paxil has been very unpleasant. At first, I thought I was going to be OK, but after about a week, I started experiencing many of the symptoms the rest of you are having--heightened anxiety, restlessness, difficulty sleeping, irritable bowel symptoms, a buzzing or vibrating head, dizziness, nausea. (It's been some relief to know others are going through the same thing and that I am not either going insane or else developing a brain tumour!!)
Incidentally, I made a point of calling my doctor before I went off Paxil and asking him whether I should stop "cold turkey" or taper off...he told me "cold turkey" believe it or not. Though my intuition told me this was wrong, I did as he said and wish now I'd ignored him and tapered it off. I'm about to call him again and ask him what he can do for me to alleviate these symptoms, as I am undergoing a major career change and can't afford to be feeling lousy.
Hi all. I'm glad to have found people who are going through the same thing I am! I was on 30mg of Paxil for three months for depression, anxiety, insomnia and IBS. Going on the drug caused extreme drowsiness for about a week but after that I felt great--better than I have in years--and most of my symptoms cleared up, although I did notice that my pupils were dilated much of the time. Anyone else have this?
However....going off Paxil has been awful. I've been having most of the symptoms the rest of you have been having, from heightened anxiety, restlessness and difficulty sleeping to head buzzing/vibrating, dizziness, nausea and mild depression. I feel almost as bad now as I did before I went on the medication. Incidentally, I did call my doctor before I went off Paxil and asked if I should stop "cold turkey" or taper it off. He said "cold turkey" believe it or not. My instincts told me this was wrong, but I foolishly did as he said and wish now I hadn't. I'm about to call him again to ask him what he can give me to help alleviate these symptoms as I am in the midst of starting my own business and can't afford to be feeling rotten.
Thanks for listening.
I was watching 20/20 tonight and there was a segment on paxil withdrawl (withdrawal).  I never though to search the net.  Wow we all need to do something about the lack of information about withdrawls.  I wanted to die it was so bad.  I got shocks in my figer tips and my feet would go numb.  When I was coming off the drug slowly I felt terrible.  I couldn't drive or think staight.  I am from Vancouver Canada and I would like to start a group or testing on the withdrawls of Paxil.  I also had the same problem coming off Zoloft same thing.  I also had the funny feeling in my head like it took my brain longer to regester something I was looking at or doing.  I made the mistake of driving and when I got there I couldn't remember driving, or how I got there.  I am now on Effexor but feel this drug is not helping me either.  I have been on 4 different antidepressants in the last year.  Lets all hope there will be proof of these withdrawls seeing the Dr on 20/20 said it happens in 2 out of 1000 people.
I was prescribed paxil about 2 years ago after my dad died by my "primary care" physician.  I was unable to sleep so he told me to take one paxil in the am and pm!!! -- 40 mg!!!  His physicians assistant told me i could get off the pills any time i wished.  I tried getting off in March, 2000 -- got really sick, saw the physicians assistant and she told me it was a sinus infection -- well antibiotics did not help.  
I finally went to an internist who put me in the hospital that day in March!!! -- No one understood my bean bag headaches - not even the neurologist!!!  I had all sorts of tests run -- but they did find that my neck was really messed up and did a lamenectomy.  This entire time i went back on paxil -- got to feeling better -- tried to get off in May -- the bean bag headaches and awful feeling came back -- the neurologist put me on pamelor which made me constantly groggy!!!  So... back on paxil, then i saw 20 20 last night about paxil -- WOW.  So I guess now I go back to the dr to try and get off these things again!!  There were days that my head hurt so bad from withdrawal that i would throw up!!

Last night on 20/20 I saw the piece they did on Paxil withdrawal which was the first time I had heard about this. I have been on 20 mg for about two years now. During this time, there was a time when I couln't afford the Paxil and had to go off it cold turkey. One day at work during this time, I had what my boss said looked like a seizure and vomited. By the time I got to the hospital I felt better. I think now after reading about others' withdrawal symptoms that that is what I experienced.  I have also experienced the crying and night sweats if I have skipped a dose for a couple of days. What now makes me angry is that when I first went on Paxil, I told my doctor that there was a history of addiction in my family and asked if Paxil was addictive and if there were withdrawal symptoms. She said no. I am feeling better now and was considering weaning myself, but now I am scared to. I am a single Mom and have to work. I can't afford to miss work because of withdrawal symptoms. I am also angry that I wasn't informed that there would be withdrawal symptoms when I was first prescribed Paxil.
I was on Paxil for a month. I didnt want to do anything but side
on my cough..My house was falling apart didnt want to clean or
do laundry. I loved going to the pool everyday with the kids.
As soon as I started taking it I didnt want to go..
So me and my husband had a talk and he told me to get off of
it. So I called my dr and told him I wanted off of it so I stopped that day.I felt really bad I thought I was going to die.
I had vibrating head,body aches, crying,irritability,nitemares and sweating.
I have been off of it now for 2 weeks. I still feel crappy but not as bad. When does it all end? I have a family to take care of
and I am not myself. I hate this feeling.
I was takin Wellbutrin it wasnt bad at all it just stopped working for me thats when I the dr and he put me on Paxil.If I
knew what I had to go thur I wouldnt have taken the Paxil.
Mary
Mary
I recently found out that I was pregnant.  I was about 7 weeks pregnant at the time and discontinued the Paxil immediately, not knowing that I needed to taper off of the drug.  Two days after I stopped taking it, I experienced such extreme dizziness that I could not function.  I was unable to take care of my children or go to work. I also experienced nausea and a shock sensation that would travel down my arm.  I saw three different doctors who were unable to determine what was wrong.  One even said I was simply having pregnancy symtoms (symptoms).  After a week my symptoms finally subsided and now I just have a little nausea that probably is due to the pregnancy.  These withdrawal symptoms made me feel the worst I have ever felt.  Not until 20/20 aired their segment on Anti-depressant withdrawal, did I finally know what had caused me to become so ill.
I have been on Paxil for a few years now and last night (August 25, 2000) I saw a special about Paxil withdrawal on ABC's 20/20 news program.  The people on there were telling of their horrible withdrawal symptoms and it really scares me.  Yes, I have tried to come off of Paxil by myself and let me tell you, the dizziness is unreal.  I also experienced a "shaky" kind of dizzy.  I think I found out what that is called from watching the 20/20 special.  Dr. Nancy Snyderman called it electrical brain shocks and that is what I belief I have experienced and it was very disturbing.  I've only missed dosages for a total of 2-3 days in a row and I would get too scared to go longer than that so I immediately took my Paxil and within a few short hours, I would feel completely normal.  I'll be reading as more stories are posted and hope we all get through this with ease.
Also, I am on the  maximum dosage of 3  (20 mg.)   pills every night and I have a feeling coming off of this much will be hard.  Good Luck to us all.
I've been taking Paxil 20 for 6 months now and will try to stop it in 6 more months. I found many recommendations on the Internet for a "magic care-free formula" of reducing the doze by 5 mg. a month. For me that would take 3 months (from 20 to 15, then to 10, then to 5 and it's gone).

Does this make sence to you?

Laura
I am 62, expierenced a tramatic Job action, terminated, age discrimination. Went into a depressed mode, Dr. Put me on Paxil, got out of depressed mode, tried twice to shake Paxil, see why I went to a hell bent self distructive mode when I did.. I Think reading all of these I am on this for life now.. I watched 20-20, came to site as they suggested. My major concern is, my Doctor also has me on Wellbutrin so I quit the very deadly smoking habit. ( He said wellbutrin is an anti-smoking drug. )
Both Paxil 20Mg and Wellbutrin sr 150Mg are anti-depressents.  I think I am in deep trouble.
well everyone i just want to say there's hope i can guarantee it! im a 24 year old and i suffered from depression and the doctors wanted to put me on that antidepressants. and the funny thing is i was having all the symtoms (symptoms) described on this page and i wasnt even taking anything. I began to study depression and i found some really awesome things theres a really good web site that i think everyone should at least go and look at and give it a chance its really good it

www.drcolbert.com

its really good it has alot of answers to depression and  they work i have seen people work out of severe depression in a matter of a couple of months and go completely of meds for some it faster or slower but atleast someone should look.

i know the pain of depression and its miserable and it breaks my heart to see people go through it. if anyone wants to email me they are welcome to at ***@****
well thankyou and remember you will make it!!!
Hi, I also suffered withdrawal symptoms after I stopped using Paxil. Last night 20/20 did a report on how many people are going through the same things I did. I taped it and can get you a copy if you want. My experience was that the withdrawal symptoms lasted for about two months and did not begin to go away until I started taking certain vitamins. The ones I took were sublingual Vitamin B-12, a multiple B vitamin and folic acid. I took five times the US RDA recommendation every day(which is not a problem because they are water soluble vitamins and do not build up in the body) and I started to feel a little better the next day and after about a week I felt completely back to normal. I got all of the vitamins at Rite-Aid and they are the Rite Aid brand. I'm not sure why this works, but this was what seemed to work for me, it might be worth your time to try this.

John
I also suffered withdrawal symptoms after I stopped using Paxil. Last night 20/20 did a report on how many people are going through the same things I did. I taped it and can get you a copy if you want. My experience was that the withdrawal symptoms lasted for about two months and did not begin to go away until I started taking certain vitamins. The ones I took were sublingual Vitamin B-12, a multiple B vitamin and folic acid. I took five times the US RDA recommendation every day(which is not a problem because they are water soluble vitamins and do not build up in the body) and I started to feel a little better the next day and after about a week I felt completely back to normal. I got all of the vitamins at Rite-Aid and they are the Rite Aid brand. I'm not sure why this works, but this was what seemed to work for me, it might be worth your time to try this.

John-***@****
I have been on 20 mg. of paxil for 2 1/2 years.  I have cut my dosage to 10 mg. for the past 2 months and am doing great.  But not without going through severe headaches. I was also on klonipan but took my self off that 1 1/2 years ago because I was so dopey, I could hardly teach my morning classes.

I am also on hormone therapy.  I have gained an alarming amount of weight and am happy to find these web sites of people who have experienced the same thing.  I now beleive it is the paxil and will keep trying to slowing wean myself off it.  Every other day I think, forthe next 2 months and see what happens.  Having a good sex life back would be nice, too.
I was on Paxil for about a year.  When things improved in my life, I decided to go off the drug.  I tried to do it cold turkey and the most noticeable symptom I had was the strange shocking sensation.  It somehow felt like I could "hear" my eyes move when I looked in a different direction.  I couldn't understand it but somehow associated it with discontinuing the Paxil.  So I (having several pills left) decided to slowly wean myself.  I started taking one (20 mg.) every other day, then every third day and so on.  Eventually it does go away.  But I didn't know for sure it was a real side effect of withdrawal until 20/20 the other night.  I was identifying with everything they said.  I agree that doctors need to be aware of these side effects.
thanks to all of you wonderful troopers who, like me, trusted your medical doctor and accepted a prescription of Paxil.  I too am experiencing what you are: body aches, electric zings through my body, swooshing eyes, nausea, and many of the other symptoms mentioned in your posts.  What is up with the medical profession? How dare they tell us that these symptoms are "not normal" when getting off paxil?  How come they are common to all here who are "getting off paxil?"  What, are we some type of misfits who alone experience these things.  I am so tired of watching my MD look at me and shrug his shoulders with no answers.  Quit prescribing this trash if you don't know what you are getting us into.  I read a great book called "A Dose of Sanity" by Dr. Sydney Walker III, M.D. (ISBN 0-471-14136-4)  It is an encouraging book written by a neurologist/physciatrist.  His premise is that giving quick fix prescriptions is what the medical profession has come to instead of old fashioned, roll up your sleeves hard work to come up with the correct diagnosis of what ails you instead of "take this and call me in the morning."  I am also very interested in helping with the class-action suit by Michael Schwartz mentioned above.  These people are above accountablity.  It's all about marketing and money when it comes to many medications instead of finding out what is really wrong with someone.  that takes time and most of these people won't take the time.  I really resent my MD.  Our relationship finally took an adversarial turn when I realized this guy "really" didn't want to be bothered with my problems.  Oh, well.  I'm sorry the medical profession, in many ways, has fallen to such a low place.  We are crying help as they toss us out of the airplane not even noticing if the parachute is in place.  I'd love to hear from you all.  lee.***@****
you may copy my entire book free from my web
www.biochemimbal-behavior.com  /you may also link it to
your web if you wish   also look up on any search
engine abram hoffer /also look up www.orthomed.com /
also look up crimetimes( the fellow who has it has
spent years with biochemical behavior research  / there
are many correct answers out there if you know where
to look-we didn't know what to do either-we have had 5
schiz in our family and all are totally functional and
going on with life. we were truly stupid,ignorant,self
absorbed with our own pains much less recognition of
our loved one's pains-finally we got some answers
after much struggle for all concerned. there is a
spiritual reason why you have to see and experience
these pains but you as we will probably only see
behavior as good or bad and from that you judge your
loved ones. that is is extremely arrogant and faulty
reasoning and is a big waste of time and energy for
all. if i can help- 270 684 9233   correct
biochemicals first,including anything that goes into
the organism including food,air,liquids,thoughts-find
out if certain conditions exist such as brain
allergies from foods,find out if electrial stimuli is
trapped,find out about pyrroles in
urine,bacteria,fungi,parasites, etc/ get them away from
all sugar,gluten products and don't forget rye.oats
are also gluten,get them away from all dairy
products,food coloring dyes,food additives and
phosphates and sugar in soft drinks fruits should only
be eaten in between meals and not everyday -any sugar
eaten with a meal will take over all digestive time
and stop all other foods and liquids until that sugar
is digested and this causes stagnant foods and luquids
because ogf the digestive waiting time and then
fungi,bacteria etc -all from eating sugar at a meal
with the meal.- you should be having bowel movements three times per day.the fellow who invented gatorade bob cade at the univ of fla. took all of his royalities
from gatorade sales and spent it on his own research
into cassemorphins7 from dairy products. for example
some autistic children have 46 times more powerful
than morphine reactions at the synapsis levels in the
brain and we wonder why a autistic child may not speak
or react in a certain way./and stay away from doctors
who are not doing continuing research now since most
allopathic doctors in this country don't even know how
a cell functions.your reaction to them is extremely
important since if you use talk therapy or talk
yourself to them they are in fact reduplicating new
cells which also have emotions attached that are
harmful and cause even farther damage. the more you
talk to them the worse the cells duplicate. however
you have to be compassionate and understanding for
them so you must allow them to talk about whatever is
the problem for sometime. however you don't bring up
past difficulties at all period.try always to calm
their spirit which calms their organism and starts to
bring about new cellular growth even though the
damaged cells are either there as real cells or by
memory of those cells. we all have different levels of awareness or enlightment on many levels including physical,mental and spiritual. try talking to someone who is mentally retarded and see if you get through. however they may have far more spiritual awareness than you have. so please get away from judgements and harsh evaulations about everything in the world and get on with helping someone with a different level come to a higher level.for all the cells in the
body-organism it takes 6 years for all to duplicate
themselves into new cells-some are nano-second
reproductions and some take 6 years- also a startling
bit of information is that even though the cells have
been replaced by new cells the emotions of the
original cells is still alive and stays with the human
forever and i mean forever. if you are also so
inclined to believe in past energies such as karma
then you have even more emotions from past experiences
in different humans for past times. any foreign body
entering into the organism must be readable by the
cellular blueprint in our bodies. the body only and i
say only reads simple molecular
structures.example,there is a big difference between a
cooked apple and a raw apple because of its molecular
structure. when it is simple molecular structure it
goes counterclockwise into the center of the cell and
the next generation of cells is correctly duplicated.
however if it is a complex molecule(and if you have
ever seen ssri such as ritalin,prozac,soloft etc you
will know what i mean by complex molecule. these
complex molecules spin off their electrons clockwise
away from the nucleus of the cell-thus denying growth
for the cells and future cell divisions plus cause
free-radicals which then bind to other protein
molecules throughout the body and cause these other
cell to disfunction-all diseases have a cellular root
cause either by deficiency or dependency. Also all and
i say all diseases whether or not we are talking about
schiz or cancer have a acidic condiction at the
cellular level. disease doesnot exist withour an acid
condition period. however the margin of balance is
very difficult to maintain. get away from your own
pains and start looking for the real reasons why you
have to figure these things out. everyone since ovum
and sperm has a an ongoing search for health and
prevention of illnesses for the sole purpose of intent
and purpose on a spiritual level .the body is only a
case to carry the spirit but the spirit can be highly
damaged by a bad carrying case-your body if you have
bad health. learn from why you are searching-there is
a reason. we know of 40+nutrients that every cell in the body must have-some need large amounts of this and that and others cells only trace amounts-there may be 500 more nutrients we have not found that cells need but these 40 we do know are needed in each cell.step one-the nutrients that are all
non-toxic at these amounts regardless of body size are
vitamin b1 400mg,b2 400mg,b3 3000mg,b6 2000mg,zinc
100mg,and vitamin c 3000 to 20,000md  start at3000mg
and then add 1000mg each day until diarrhea-loose
stool is fine and desireable but not diarrhea-it may 6
or 7 weeks to work up to 20000mg but very important.
vit b3 works in the nadh pathway which then creates
trypophane which then creates seretonin which is
extremely essential to thought processes.take all
nutrients after meals in 3 divided doses.step 2 addmanganese 30mg every
otherday,calcium-magnesium1000-500mg(2:1
ratio)efa(essential fatty acids)omega 3/6/9/ balanced
and gaba 500mg,glycine 500mg,lysine500mg and taurine
500mg   allopathic doctors will say vit b3 will hurt
your liver-vit c will cause kidney stones-that is
total nonsense and shows how stupid the doctors are.
start readin everything you can get your hands on by
abram hoffer and doris rapp. check out quarry press in
ontario canada for hoffer. testing contact dr wm shaw
at the great plains lab in overland park kansas.also a
wonderful doctor who has had outstanding results in so
many diseases from schiz to cancer is hugh riordan at
the center for the improvement of health internationalin wichita kansas. for the benefit of your loved ones please utilize this information-ronald dishinger    
I have been taking a very low dosage of Paxil (10Mg) for 10 months. I have tapered off my dosage over the past two weeks going from half a pill to a quarter pill, to nothing and have experienced all the symptoms described here. I am a person who normally responds well to medication so was totally taken by surprise with this reaction. My question is: is there anything my doctor can do to relieve these symptoms (especially the dizziness) or should I just weather it out? How long after stopping the medication all together does it take for the symptoms to disappear?
I've been on Paxil for about 1 year....A couple of months ago, my doctor suggested cutting 20mg pills in half for 1 month and then stopping....NOT POSSIBLE...It's like cigarettes, my body just knows it needs another pill....I've been cutting 10mg in half for about 1 month and I try to go every other day, but I can't...If I don't take the pill, THESE ARE MY SYMPTOMS....

EXTREME NAUSEU
TIRED ALL DAY (LIKE ON TYLENOL PM)
FLASHES OF ELECTRICITY THROUGH MY BODY
CONFUSION
DIZZINESS
STOMACH ACHES
MUSCLE AND JOINT ACHES
CRYING FOR NO REASON
AND SO ON......

How long until I can stop the pill altogether???  It did not help my anxiety or depression.......I've got IRRITATED BOWEL SYNDROME now, and this nauseu NEEDS to STOP!!!!

Thanks,
Tara Lee Wyatt

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I was put on Paxil by a heart doctor. He prescribed it because my heart rate was up, due to anxiety ( nothing wrong with my heart ). I was on it for only 10 days, but it was causing me to have what they call "high" anxiety. I called the doctor and was told that I could just stop taking it. I did. Three days atter, I was so ill that I had to go to emergency. I had a pounding headache like never before in my life. I was getting hot sensatione from the toes, to the top of my head....my BP was up and my heart was racing at 160 beats a minute for hours. When they took me in, they called it "drug withdawal".It took me days to gt over this, they then put me on a drug called Xanax.....it took me almost a year to get off of that.I no longer have any trust, or faith in the medical people. We have become their lab rats !!!! I now take herbs and I am doing really well:) Herbs....something the doctors frown upon....

Pearl
Message for Michael Schwartz, lawyer in Chicago area:

Michael, on June 20 you posted a message saying you were considering a class-action lawsuit against the manufacturer of Paxil and said to e-mail you if anyone was interested in being a part of the lawsuit.  I'm VERY interested because of what I'm going through with Paxil, but you didn't say what your e-mail address was.  Could you post it so that I can e-mail you?  I'm sure others would be interested too.   Thanks.
I have trouble sleeping and am feeling depressed - doc prescribed Paxil and I'm resistant to trying it.  After reading all the withdrawal symptoms - I'm really hesitant.  I need to sleep but do I need to take Paxil??
I have taken Paxil for the past three years and gradually have gone from 10/20/30/40 and back to 20.  Everytime I miss more than three days of the medication my head feels as though what one would expect shock waves to feel like.  As if I am being short circuited or something.  I also take Soma and have for the past ten years from chronic back pain/  Have stopped it many times no real side effects from it and it does not interfere with my Paxil. I hope they never take Paxil off the market.  It works and regardless of the withdrawl (withdrawal) effects it may have I love noot feeling depressed and having my life back. you can e-mail me at  ***@****
i felt really compelled to share my experience with paxil withdrawal after watching that 20/20 report on it last friday.  i couldn't believe that there were others who are experiencing what i did when i got off it!  all this time i just thought it was me since my doctor told me there were no major symptoms associated with paxil withdrawal.  i was on it (20mg)for just four months and quit cold turkey.  i just got too lazy to refill my prescription and i figured that i would have to get off it someday, might as well just do it.  after just missing one dosage, i began experiencing these sensory disturbances or electric shock type jolts - which would make my vision sort of pulsate, heart palpitations, dizziness and nausea.  it was horrible - it made me more depressed.  but i decided to hang tough - and it was tough having to go to work and function the best i could.  but it did gradually lessen and i am totally fine now (with the exception of my depressed state, which i feel i need to and am ready to deal with on my own w/o the help of medication).  these symptoms lasted about 2 to 3 weeks.  definitely no more than a month.  if youre trying to get off paxil and are concerned about these symptoms, the best thing i can tell you is to just hang in there and just get it over with.  unless you plan on being on paxil for the rest of your life, you're gonna have to get through that difficult stage to get off the drug.
Thanks for this great site.  I have been on Paxil 20mg. for about 2 years.  I am trying to wean off of  it, but haven't been successful yet. The dizzyness and mood swings are terrible. I am an RN and if I had been warned of the withdrawal symptoms, I definitely would have reconsidered!!!  Also,has anyone had increased sweating in general, not just at night?
This is amazing.  I agree with so many of you.  My doctor never mentioned the side effects of the drug Paxil or that there was a withdrawal.  The first time I went off it, I ended up having a major panic attack while in an automated car wash!  Not good.  I have just quit "cold turkey".  After everything I've read, I'm willing to suffer the withdrawal to get this stuff out of my system.  This drug is bad, bad, bad.  I feel like doctors are being very irresponsible by prescribing it so freely.  What really bothers me is that one doctor even prescribed it for my 14 year old neice!  There must be better, wholistic, natural ways to treat depression and anxiety like diet, exercise, meditation.  I think I'll try that route going forward.  If anyone has any suggestions, please post them.  Good luck to all.
I have been on Paxil for several years and every time I went off, I had all the above symptoms and thought it was my depression coming back. Paxil addiction was never discussed with me. Smith Kline is denying the problem and that really irritates me. At least own up to it and give us some idea how to overcome this. The withdrawals are too much to handle for me. I am now wondering what other long term effects this drug will have. If Smith Kline had no idea about the withdrawal problems, what else do they not know about this drug?? Unbelievable that the withdrawal problems were not part of their initial study. I will never believe that. I am now an addict and I blame Smith Kline!!
I have been on Paxil for 4 years.  I have tried tapering off or changing medication (to Wellbutrin) several times.  Each time I too have felt the "vibrating head" and dizzy sensation. Most frightening though have been the extreame nightmares, to the point that I even bit my husband in my sleep and became afraid to sleep in the same room for fear of what I could do.  They were very vivid dreams where I was committing acts of violence.  Each time I have had to go back on Paxil and can not seem to get off of it no matter how low I go in dose.  I have gone down to 5mg. for 3 weeks and then tried to take it every other day and I couldn't handle the side effects.  My Dr. and I have pretty much decided that the withdrawal from Paxil isn't worth it and I have continued taking 10mg every night.  I really am not convinced that I want to continue this especially after hearing that I am not alone.  Thank you for making me feel that I am not crazy and that this is very real and frightening.  
trapped,find out about pyrroles in
say only reads simple molecular
to: Michael Schwartz on Tuesday, June 20, 2000

In your comment you did not include you email address or I can not see it kindly email it to my at ***@**** I am very interested in what you had to say.

I currently am weaning myself off Paxil which I have been taking 20 mg./daily since October 1999.  Interestingly enough, I ran across an article on the long term side effects of Paxil and other antidepressants in the New Yorker magazine.  The article cautions us that long term useage of such antidepressants can cause irreversible neurological damage such as symptoms resembling body jerks and so on.  I asked my psychiatrist who has been closely monitoring my weaning off Paxil, and he explained to me that doctors were not aware of this potential damage until 2 years ago.  He does not like to keep any of his patients on Paxil or antidepressants longer than absolutely necessary and certainly no longer than 3 years.  My psychiatrist is the only state certified forensic psychiatrist in Idaho, so he is knowlegeable in understanding the exact effects/damages of these drugs to a person's body.  Careful monitoring of the weaning off this short life Paxil has enabled me to be symptom-free so far, but episodic stresses are addressed by us, and sometimes the Paxil mg. amount is re-upped to the original 20 mg. dosage.  I can't stress the importance of careful monitoring of Paxil.  Thank you for this informative site.
Well I have had many of the same symptoms you have all felt trying to get off Paxil.  I started to take the paxil for slight anxiety and slight depression.  I had suffered from several life changing events and while I always felt I could deal with life well I felt that I needed a little help in this case.  My doctor prescribed it saying that although there were some sexual side effects from taking the drug it would help my symptoms nicely.  ell he was right about the sexual side efects so after about a month on the paxil I was unable to perform to my expectations in bed.  I am a young man so this became unexceptible to me and my doctor sugested stopping.  I still sufer some of the irritability and judgemental behavior. I sometimes felt cold like the A/C was up too high even when it was off.  I was driving my girlfriend nuts with silly little disputes.  It has been about a week now being off the paxil and I am a bit better.  I will not go back on this drug again.  I am looking or alternatives one of which may be serazone (sp) but prior to its usage I am going to research the real deal on it so I dont suffer another paxil situation.
I was on Paxil for over 5 years. When I tried to quit, each time I could not do it. After finally tapering off and stopping, I had the most horrendous year of my life. I wound up in the emergency room probabley 8 times with uncontrollable high blood pressure. Electric shocks in my arms. Deathly sick, unable to move for months. Anxiety, panic attacks.

Nobody, at ER or other Drs. could tell me what was causing prob. Eventually, I figured out and started taking small amounts of Zoloft to help with terrible withdrawal symptoms. It really just keeps prolonging the agony.  
Night sweats, nightmares, eventually I could not sleep ovr 1 hour at a time till I would awaken.

I feel that this is the most evil insidious drug ever put on the market.After 1 year my life is still hell.

I accidently did find it helps to take large amounts of vitamin C
I eventually was taking 5 to 10 grams of vitamin C daily to function minamally. I eventually decreased the C and I have started taking Valerian and St. Johns Wort (herbal anti-anxiety and herbal anti-depressant) and seem to be helping.

I feel sorry for any unsuspecting person getting "hooked" on Paxil. It has to be a hundred times worse than Heroin. It has been the worst experience of my life.
I watched the show on 20/20 also. 4 months prior to that my son who was also put on Paxil after a really stressful breakup and custody battle for his daughter and was in a deep depression..he also was not told of the withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) or us as his parents..started on 20mg. was raised to 40mg.and in the beginning was happy with the effects.was back to being himself.Then he just didn't like being on the paxil and stopped it. Went through all the symtomps that were shown on 20/20 and he was glad to hear it, he was not going crazy.!!But watching my son go through all the side affects I am so angry at the doctor and the company who put out this medication...And like my son we came on this site and read all of your stories and , he is not the only one going thru this, not that it makes it better but sorry to say , see there are others that are dealing with the same thing...This is unbelievable....Really makes you doubt our doctors and the people who put out this medication....and yes...Micheal Swartz you left us no e-mail to add to your list for some kind of law-suit..not that we want money...Just to stop this ...Wake up the medical association..the doctors....we are not their guinne pigs... we are human beings..This is my child, and reading the stories on this site that I see what my son is going thru....the same as these other people...We need someone like you Michael.....Please send your e-mail address.....
   I have sat on the computer tonight searching for sites about Paxil...and came across this and now it is almost 8:30am..and like I said I sat and read each and every story...am tired but in away feel better ..My son is not going crazy...he is just going thru like everyone else the symtoms (symptoms) of this drug....and is pretty pathetic....You want help for your child, husband , wife , who ever but when you go to a doctor you expect to know the side effects, and we weren't givin the truth.....such sad stories I read, and same on 20/20...Something has to be done...

Thank you all for putting down in words what you have gone thru ,for sharing your stories...my e-mail if anyone...and Micheal Swartz...most important it is ***@****....  

I have been married to the most wonderful woman for 31 years, and in Aug 1999 her doctor put her on Paxil stated at 20mg and then up it to 40mg to where she is today. The Paxil has made her a totally diferent woman. My wife never took a drug in her life till this. She is still confussed and she said she don't know what she wants to do with her life. The paxil makes her sleepy so she sleeps alot. The paxil gives her uncontrolable body jurking while she is sleeping and some when she is a wake. At times she has cut back to 20mg for a day and she said, she feels the differents. I have spoke to her doctor about these's problems and all he say's is shes doing well on Paxil and i hate to change in mid stream. She don't feel like doing much work around the house so I do what is needed to be done. It's been over a year now on Paxil and I hate what I am seeing it's like a nightmare from hell. I saw 20/20 ABC news on Paxil and now I scared to death for wife health. She has had 3 surgery's since Nov.99 and now is going have a fourth one. I heart goes out to all of you that is on Paxil.
I have been reading all the information you all have written about paxil.  I was on paxil for almost two years and now any
trying very hard to get off of it.  And please anyone reading this don't quit cold turkey.  It will make you very sick. You have to wean yourself off paxil VERY slowly.  It  doesn't matter what your doctor tells you, take it from me, it's a very hard thing to do.  I was weened off taking 30mg  for a week, to 25mg for a week, to 20mg for a week, to 10 mg per week, and finally 5mg for the last week.  Symptoms I experienced were extreme confusion, extreme depression, constantly crying, having no energy to do anything, panic attacks, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, horrible dreams, major headaches  (usually cured by advil), vision and concentration problems, and extreme short term memory loss; and I'm sure I've left some out. My doctor has put me on 200mg serzone and will eventually work me up to 500mg per day.  If anyone knows how I can get any help  for solving these problems, please email me at ***@****,  Thanks, Jennifer Waters
My 12 year old has started taking paxil; he asked the right questions and agreed to use it "short term" in order to feel better while learning "coping" skills with his counselor. The intent was to then go off of it within about 3--6 months from initial onset.He has been on it for 3 weeks.  My child saw a recent episode of 20/20 when spending the nite at his Dad's and I requested the transcript of it since my child told me the same type of info. about withdrawal that you have listed. He is very worried that he has not heard of ANYONE withdrawing from Paxil successfully and is asking legitimate questions about the pros and cons of staying on it; he is feeling better depression-wise but is very concerned about whether to stick with it for now or get off of it now. Any info. about paxil and kids would be appreciated.
What a relief!!!  Finally, people who know what I'm going through!  Paxil withdrawal has been difficult and only now, do I realize it's from the Paxil and not me, thanks to a report on the TV show 20-20.
I even ended up at the hospital because de dizziness and electric shocks were too much to handle.  But the doctors could not find anything wrong with me and sent me home.
I am very angry at my doctor for not telling me about withdrawal. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs because I don't like anything that can cause a dependence and it feels like my body is dependent on Paxil.  Something should be done to inform doctors about withdrawal because there are too many of us experiencing this and they cannot go on ignoring it. It is their duty to tell us exactly what we are ingesting, they are the ones with the degree.
My doctor started me on 10 mg of paxil for about 10 days then I
was to start building up to 20 mgs.  The first 20 mg that I took
made me so sick.  He felt that they weren't helping my anxiety problem so he told me to quit cold turkey which i questioned.
I started going thru withdrawal which he didn't recognize and he
imediately started me on trazadone 150 mg to help me sleep.  He
told me it was a sleeping pill not an antidepressant.  I quit this cold turkey also because it really made me feel bad and didn't do what he expected.  I'm actually in withdrawal from both drugs.  I cannot sleep on my own.  I get those electric shocks
throughout my body and these wake me up constantly.  My mind is not sharp or alert anymore.  This is a nightmare!  Can I do anything to this doctor for giving me this drug and not telling
me about the side effects???Any lawyers out there????? My life is
a mess now if I don't take sleeping pills to counter act the effects of the shocks, and dizzyness.
am  (***@****)
Ive taken paxil in dosages from 10 to 60 mgs for over 7 yrs. most of the time ive taken 20 to 40 mgs and for the last 6 months 60 mgs. Ive been having a horrible time coming off and just thought I was nuts but looks like many here have the same symptoms. for a while when i would move, i felt a swooshing sound and feeling as though the whole world spun and got a shocking like numbness in my face and arms and hands. i just walked across the room to get a cigarette and can barely stand im so dizzy. I suffer form panic and agoraphobia and ill tell ya, with this withdraw its pure hell. I know ill get through this somehow and have hopes of trying a different med. Ive heard serzone is helpful but kind of scared of any meds in general after this. years ago i went through high dosages of valium and had a bit of a qualude problem. it was pretty bad but no where as strange as paxil withdraw. If anyone has any sugestions of something that works well with klonopin im presently taking for panic attacks please share your thoughts and ill look into it. if you have any questions or anything to share, feel free to write me. ***@****
            Thanks and wish you all the best :)
I've been on paxil for two months. A doctor prescribed it 15 minutes after meeting me. My stress was job related (and I moved to a new city) and I hadn't suffered from depression in the past. I cut down from 20 mg to 10 mg when I gave my notice at work. In the two weeks following cutting back I've experienced a sensation I can only describe as similar to what I suspect heart palpitations would feel like, I'm nautious and dizzy every day, I spent 24 hours in bed believing I had the flu a week and a half after I cut back, my teeth involuntarily click together, I feel like passing out, a week ago I began experiencing headaches. I have nightmares, I sleep either too much or too little. I thought perhaps something was physically wrong with me when I realized the symptoms began 2-3 days after cutting back on the paxil. I'm getting worse even though I haven't entirely given the drug up. I'm angry and upset and I don't understand why this wasn't in the literature that was given to me. Paxil's being described as a "wonder" anti-depressant because it's considered non addictive. I'd rather be depressed.
I have been off of paxil for 9months and let me tell you I believe that drug to be the worst mind controlling thing in the world. I almost never got off I took 20mg for a week 10mg for a week 5.mg for a week then a half of that and I still experienced withdrawl (withdrawal). have you all noticed everyone on paxil eventually tries to get off of it and has no idea why. my life was ruined from it and like all the others the doctors say it isn't the paxil. what I want to say mainly is I hope you all get off of it successfully but to tell you paxil is still after 9 months inbedded in my system I now have swollen and hurting lymphnodes a symptom I picked up after 7 yrs of taking paxil I have extreme panic attacks and a phobia of thunderstorms. and all of this occured because of that pill. The doctors put me on paxil because I was crying alot and I had or have 5 children they claimed I was depressed. maybe so I believe we all get that way especially when we can get noone to help or listen but the effects of my depression was nothing compared to the lifelong effects paxil has caused me. I am no longer on any medication and if I do become depressed I will be going to get chamiomile  tea, or st. johns wort or one of the other herbs it will most certainly not be one of those paxil or any other. I am telling you all from 15 yrs of taking antidepressants paxil is the one to stay clear of and the others aren't all that grand either. I hope if anyone else has had some of the side effects from taking paxil please e-mail me. ***@**** I cannot find a doctor to tell me why and howlong paxil is going to be in my system.  Remember I was on it 7 yrs and still at times have the feelings I had when withdrawing from it at the beginning of coming off of it and my lymphnodes and spleen are hurting from the paxil, I have no idea why I can't even get a doctor to tell me anything. thanks for listening please respond if you have any insights on this matter
I too have been experiencing Paxil withdrawal after being on it for a year.  I tapered off over the last 2 months, and started having the "vibrating head" and "short bursts of electrical energy" that people have described.  It's good to know that it isn't just me.  I just hope it goes away soon.  I don't plan on going back on Paxil just because I hate the side effects of withdrawal--I want to be off of it for good.  Thanks for everyone's sharing of their experiences.
I ran out of Paxil during labor day weekend, and I was fine for a few days, but then all of a sudden, I felt like crying at everything, nothing was going right..... all of the same feelings I had before I took Paxil. When I'm on it, I feel absolutely fine on the paxil, but off of it I'm a wreck.
I am 37 years old.  I started taking Paxil four months ago for depression/panic attacks.  It has helped somewhat, but I have gained 25 lbs, even with increased exercise and normal eating.  It has made me so depressed I've decided to stop immediately.  Now that I read all of these withdrawal symptoms, I'm totally freaking out!  I already suffer these symptoms, even if minor.  I don't know what to do but I certainly wish someone had told me what I was getting into!  It's affecting my life - home, work, etc. in ways that are just not acceptable.
Unbelievable!!  I have been on Paxil for a couple of years now. Last couple of months have tapered myself off. Last count was taking a 30mg every 5 days. On the six day I would start feeling those dreaded withdrawal symptoms. I wasn't able to explain it accurately until I read this board. The vibrating head, pulsating sensations in my fingers and feet, heightened anxiety, and anger. I wanted to get this stuff completely out of my system so last week stopped taking the **** totally. I think if I went through one more vibrations in my head, I was going to scream. I just took a 30mg about an hour ago. Feel better, but very frustrated. I think what i am going to do, because I am 100% committed to getting this garbage out of my system is in 5 days take a 10, do that for a week or two and then a five and so on..I am just shocked at hard this has been to come off of. Someone wrote about a class action lawsuit, I am there. This should have been discussed with me. It makes me very angry that it was not.

kit
I took Paxil a couple of years ago, found that while on it, I hardly ever got a decent night of sleep.  Each night was filled with hallucination-like "vivid" dreams.  So after about 3 months I took myself off.  Being on it was not a pleasant experience!

On the other hand, my husband has been on it for a few years, but has just quit cold turkey.  I'm relieved to know his hostile, uncommunicative behavior and nausea may be caused by withdrawal, otherwise, I'm not sure I can stick around anymore--it's awful!
I've been on 20mg Paxil for 3 years. I tried to get off Paxil about a year and a half ago. I just stopped cold turkey for about a month.  I actually thought I was going to die. The withdrawal was so bad I had to go back on Paxil and within no time I was fine. Had I known the withdrawal symptons I  would never taken it. The viberating head or electrical shocks was the worst thing and I was so short fused. I don't know which is worse dealing with depression and anxiety or the withdrawal symptons. I'm trying to go off again after gaining 50 pounds on the medicine. This time I'm going to 10mg every other day and it is helping some.  The doctor did change my medicine reluctantly by my request. He put me on Serzone and I pray to God it does better. The Paxil helped me as far as bursting out angry for no real reason, it helped me cope with life (no sucidal thought)but as far as it goes I was still not really interested in anything but my family. Has anybody experienced anything with Serzone? I want to thank each and everyone of you - it has belped me so to find out it's not just me and a lot of things going on is a withdrawal sympton that I didn't really know what it was. May God bless each and everyone of you and goodluck.
I have been getting off of Paxil for about one month.  I am down to about 1 and 1/4 a day for three days and nothing on the fourth day.  Symptoms include crying, numbness of the face, hands and sometimes one arm, and neck pain.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may further expect for symptoms if I drop the last one per day?  Is this as bad as it gets?  Am I already experiencing as much as I am likely to have for side effects, or could there be worse to come when I totally go off?

A useful book I have found is "Your Drug May Be Your Problem"
by Peter Breggin.  He recommends 10% drop for at least a week
or a month; however long until you feel that you  have coped with that, and then go down another 10% as you are comfortable with that dose.  I hope that helps.  My sympathy to all Paxil
withdrawees.

I'm glad to know it isn't just ME experiencing these horrible sensations from Paxil withdrawal. I started taking 20 mg per day 3 years ago. When I tried to stop taking it cold turkey, I experienced a severe depression and irregular heartbeat. I finally worked my way down to 10 mg per day, which is as low as I've been able to get in a year's time. Now I've cut down to 10 mg every other day, and it's HELL. I'm not experiencing the dips into depression that I've experienced other times, but the heart palpitations, the "whooshing" sounds in my ears, headaches, etc., are the worst yet. I'm determined to get off this stuff, even if I have to do it gradually, but the withdrawal symptoms are frightening and I think patients should be warned about them previously. It's obviously NOT just in our heads.
I have been reading these comments today, and I have seen myself over and over.  My family doctor started me on Paxil 20mg/day in December 1999 when I was experiencing severe depression and panic attacks.  After being on this medication one week, I thought I had found a miracle medicine.  He assured me it was not addictive, and I would probably only need to be on it for a period of 3-6 months.  I am a born again Christian, so I struggled with taking medications of any kind, but he assured me that it "is no different than a diabetic having to take insulin."  I tried to stop this medication twice, and had to restart due to severe depression, crying episodes, tingling in my head, etc.  I really got confused as to whether my previous symptoms were recurring, or whether this was withdrawal!!  I found myself feeling like I was going "crazy" and couldn't cope, so I returned to the Paxil.  Several weeks ago, I began experiencing symptoms of mania (exreme hyperactivity, sleeplessness, excess energy, trouble focusing on anything).  This really felt good for a while, but when I mentioned it to the doctor, he now feels I might be manic-depressive, and wanted to stop the Paxil.  I was so scared of what I might experience, I downplayed the mania, so he decided to lower me to Paxil 10mg/day.  I have been on this dose for 2 weeks now, and am pretty tearful some days, but otherwise I am getting better.  I still have night sweats, too.  My response is that I am going to successfully "come off" Paxil with the help of prayer and faith in God.  I can't say I am not a little scared about how I will feel, but I know that "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"  Phillipians 4:13.  I have called some of my friends at church, and confided to them that I have been taking a medication to which I have become addicted, and I want them to support and pray with me and for me as I experience withdrawals.  I don't plan to suddenly withdraw, but do the 10mg one day, 5mg next day routine for a while.  Then 5 mg/day, then 5mg every other day and so on.  Think of it like weaning a baby from breastfeeding.  Stop one feeding every 3-4 days and use a bottle instead.  Gradually increase the number of feedings you miss until the baby is totally on the bottle.  I am going to supplement Paxil with prayer, meditation, and reading God's Word until finally God is who I totally depend on - NOT PAXIL.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Ginny
I am so glad to see other people with the same problems I am experiencing.  i was on 10mg and then bumped up to 20mg. I was put on this due to a heated divorce. Well know, 2 years later I am looking to get off of Paxil. My dosage was cut from 20mg to 10mg to 5mg in a 2 week period. I have been off for about a week and I feel as if at times my head is going to explode. I have times that I break down and cry for no reason and I never, ever cry (macho thing haha). Also I am very shortempered and am always snapping at people. I hate this and am trying to figure out what can be done to help me out of this.
Oh my God, oh my God.  I had no idea what was happening to me.  Everything you guys have described is what I'm feeling.  Especially those dreadful dreams.  About 2 weeks ago I came down with the flu.  Since I was already feeling miserable I decided to stop taking Paxil, yes "cold turkey".  I came to some revolution in my life that I wanted to cleanse my mind, body and soul.  I strongly believe in mind over matter, but this drug is serious.  I have "clean" for 1 week now, the shocks get weaker, the dizziness does lessen, but some days are bad.  I don't want to start taking them again.  I figure I'm half way there, since I have only been taking Paxil for 3 1/2 months.  This was the worse thing I could have done to my body.  I find that exercising helps.  I feel so much better after I run and rollerblade, but I can' wait to be my old self again.  I'm just going to go back to my St. Johns and Kava Kava.  Thanks so much for the input.
Paxil helps one who is anxious about social situations,etc por have social phobia feel better. Big deal. It should never have been prescribed to me. YOU CANT GET OFF IT. I was fine going from 40 mg to 20 mg but going from 20 to 10 causes symptoms of angry outbursts, irritability and physical symptoms like "head rushes". I say to all those who go to a doc, they should insist on ask counseling before meds and they should really examine themselves as far as what they want from it. Be realistic. You are stuck with social phobic symptoms. Just try and recognize the negative thinking.
  It really is a life sentence of Zoloft, Paxil or whatever SSRI your physician chooses. Dealing with authority figures and keeping from being low at times are my problems. I hope this every other day regiment I set for myself of 10 mg of Paxil doesn't cause too much physcial and anxious symptoms.  I yelled at some stranges in July and they broke my jaw and it was the result of Paxil withdrawal. I received $12,000 in medical bills from the surgery and hospital charges for them to fix it in the ER.  I just got mad. I couldn't control it I guess.
They cops caught the guys though. I should get restitution. I didn't lay a finger on them.

My jaw was wired shut for 8 weeks.  It is good to be back on solid food. Finally, it is dangerous if you don't take your dose every day of Paxil or if you try to wean off it.

I hate sweating so much and being around nimrods.  

john
I've encountered similar withdrawal symptoms with Paxil that many of you have posted.  A genetically predisposed bout with Graves Disease was the reason for my use of Paxil @ 30mg/day for the past 6 months.  3 cold-turkey attempts have failed.  My present attempt at 15mg/day has been difficult, but after a week, small daily progress is noticable.  My symptoms were/are: headache, high frequency buzzing in the middle ear, nausea, and a couple of real funky dreams.  The worst has been the headaches.  The rest I can put up with in the interim.  Two 500mg Tylenol has given me the best results for the headache.  Keeping healthy snack food handy has helped with the nausea.
I had been on Paxil (10 mg) for about one year.  Having had experience with Paxil wihtdrawal before, I decided to go very slowly - taking a month - to get off it.  I purchased the liquid form so I could really reduce slowly.  Well, I am still experiencing severe flu-like symptoms which include nausea, headache, exhaustion and joint pain.  I also have a tingling in my extremities at times.  I have found Tylenol very helpful for the pain but the other symptoms just have to be dealt with.  This kind of thing can go on for weeks - I know.  I've been there and only decided to go back on Paxil because I was unable to take Wellbrutrin, Selexa, Prozak etc.  I am manic-depressive and the whole issue of taking an antidepressant is a dicey one.  So . . .  I am toughing it out and looking forward to the day when the Paxil withdrawal symptoms are gone.  My doctor informs me that I have the dubiou distinction of having the worst Paxil withdrawal symptoms he has ever seen.  Lucky me!!  Good luck to all of you out there.  Hang in and get off!
I was put on Paxil for 4 days due to depression as a result of being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Was told it would also help me sleep better. After the 4th day at 20mg I got severely nauseated to the point of not being able to function. I was put on Phenegren for a few days and discontinued the Paxil and the nausea went away. Three weeks later I saw another Dr who wanted to try the Paxil again only in small increments. 5mg 1 week, 10mg for 1 week and 10 for a third week. I was feeling fine until the 4th week and the nausea began again. The doctor tried acid reducers and consequently didnt have me discontinue the Paxil for another 3 wks. I was on it for a total of 6 wks before he had me stop abruptly. the nausea persisted for two days and then stopped but only for 3 days and then was back worse than before. It was so bad, along with dizziness that I was hospitalized. I was dehydrated and so nauseated I could not eat. No tests found anything wrong. That was in June of 00. I have continued to have severe nausea everyday since, so bad in the beginning I just begged to die....it is somewhat bearable at times now but is destroying my life. I have lost my job, my family is frustrated and helpless and now another shrink wants to put me on Wellbutrin. He agrees the Paxil caused the nausea. Does anyone know if this will ever go away or has it caused permenant damage.Please help if you can. May God Bless. TERESA
Thanks people,

I just got perscription of Paxil for anxiety. I took 2 doses and it made me very weird, so I have been trying to decide if it is worth it to continue. Since the withdrawal symptoms actually sound worse than than the target symptoms -I'm thinking it migh be best to explore other avenues.
I was on Paxil on an off for the last 5 years.  Each time I wanted to get off, I would experience the "problems" again and again the Doctor would suggest that I remain on Paxil.

I finally in August of this year, wanted to get off Paxil and truly know if I was able to live life without a pink pill.  I researched the withdrawls this time better so I felt armed for the battle I was to start.  Of course, over a period of 6 weeks I went from 20mg daily, to the last week to zero.  And this week was hard, the head vibrating, the heart racing, the ears ringing, the dizziness.  I am determined to get off Paxil and confirm, if I need the meds or am I hooked on the meds.

I am concerned since Paxil is only a 7 year medicine, and I took it for 5 years.  I will continue to watch and see, if there are any long term problems or effects that will occur from my Paxil intake.

God Bless,
WOW, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD FIND ANYONE WHO FELT THE SAME WAY THAT I DO! I HAVE BEEN TAKING PAXIL 20MG FOR 4 MONTHS NOW (FOR POST-PARTUM DEPRESSION). DURING MY COURSE OF THERAPY I HAD NUMEROUS SIDE EFFECTS...HEADACHES,BLURRED VISION,++++ANXIETY AND MUCH MORE.BECAUSE OF THE +++ANXIETY MY DOCTOR SAID I NEEDED A HIGHER DOSAGE SO HE INCREASED IT TO 30MG,WELL, WRONG MOVE..... THE SIDE EFFECTS LANDED ME IN THE ER 3 TIMES, I THOUGHT I WAS DYING! I FINELY DECIDED THAT ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH I HAD TO STOP THIS MEDICATION AS SOON AS I COULD. I DECREASED MY DOSE TO 20MG FOR ONE WEEK THEN 10MG FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND NOW I AM DOSE FREE....BUT THE WITHDRAWAL IS WORSE THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. I HAVE THESE FUNNY FEELINGS IN MY HEAD, DIZZINESS WHICH FEELS ALOT LIKE BEING ON A ROCKING BOAT, +++BLURRED VISION, TREMORS, HEART PALPITATIONS, MUSCLE PAIN AND ALSO REALLY BAD ANXIETY. IF I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE THIS WAY I NEVER WOULD HAVE STARTED PAXIL IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE ONLY THING THAT'S GETTING ME THROUGH, IS KNOWING THAT IT CAN'T LAST FOREVER(HOPEFULLY) AND ALSO KNOWING THAT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE OUT THERE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THESE WITHDRAWAL EFFECTS CAN LAST? GOOD-LUCK EVERYONE!!!
I've was given Paxil last fall (30mg) and it worked great.  I feel stronger now and am trying to get off it, got down to 20's, then 15's (cutting pills) and then 10's but can't stop entirely. I have the electrical impulse feeling in my head as well as not being able to focus clearly.  My doctor recommended just getting off it cold turkey but I couldn't.  I called her after watching a 20/20 episode about paxil withdrawal and realized that I wasn't crazy and that there are withdrawal symptoms.
Hello Everyone:

I have been on Paxil for 4 years.  I started taking this after my 6 year old daughter was killed in a car accident.  It seemed to work well.  My thought was anything that could dull the incredible pain I was experiencing was welcomed into my life.  I am trying to get off of Paxil now.  I have been able to wean myself from 40mg to 30mg to 20mg to 15mg.  I hate the side effects.  What has made me decide to go off the paxil are the vivid nightmares eveynight, night sweats, dizziness and a complete feeling of being numb with no emotions.

I do have a chemical imbalance and do need to be on some type of antidepressant.  I might mention that I also take serzone.

If anyone has any recommendations, please write.

Thanks.
Dawn

i am so thankful i found you folks. i thought i was going crazy. both doctor and pharmacist said i would not have a problem coming off. i have tapered from 20 to 10 to 0 but after reading your comments i am going to go back to 5 for a week or so. i have had the dizzyness, hightened sensitivity in my lips and teeth and a numbness in my hands and feet. i hope the symptoms will go away with a week or so of 5mgs. would like to hear from someone who has had these same problems who is now totally symptom free. of course there probably arent too many of you hanging around this sight. what a reeif to know i am not about to die.
I am so angry about this whole paxil withdrawl (withdrawal).  Why wasn't I told by my DR that the complications would be so severe.  I am a 34 year old mother of 3 small children, and I can hardly cope with the nasea, dizziness, hot flashes, and headaches while carring for my children.  I've never been this sick in my life, and yes I am sick DRs.  When I went on paxile I was extremely dizzy and tired.  I informed my doctor of this a couple of times along with my pharmasist.  They both told me it was normal and to keep taking it.  From now on if my intuition tells me something is not right with the situation at hand I will listen.  As for most DRs and pharmasists I'm sorry to say you have been desensitized in your line of work by ailing patients, and if thats the case you need a career change.

Tammy
concerning the lawsuit suggested by michael shwartz, he left no
address.i am interested in pursuing this matter further. if
anyone has his e-mail address,please post it on this site.if
anyone has succesfully gotten off of the drug paxil please
explain exactly how you did it!! i am desperate!!!!!!!!!

wendyelks
I was on Paxil 20 mg for about six months and decided that since the cause of my anxiety was gone, so should the Paxil.  In consultation with my doctor, I reduced the dosage to 10 mg. by breaking the pills in half and used up the prescription - about ten days.  Just before I started to reduce the dosage, I checked the web and got a real eye-opener.  The weight I'd gained was not because I'd been eating too much (just the opposite in fact), and the loss of sexual sensation in spite of having a mind that wanted to play, was also something I'd experienced and yet did not attribute them to the Paxil.  After reading of others' experiences, I was more convinced that ever to get OFF this drug.  I cut the dosage down to 10 mg for about 10 days and within two days was experiencing many of the things others have experienced:  vertigo, lightheadedness, eyes sensitive to light, hot and cold feelings at the same time.  I am still having these sensations after a week and they may last another week or so.

When the anxiety was not a life-long kind of problem, just episodic, I feel now that my doctor should have suggested something like kava kava or St. John's Wort.  Certainly, the side effects of discontinuing them (if indeed there are any) are nothing like coming off paxil.  And the suggestion to go back on Paxil to alleviate the symptoms is, to me, just getting back on the merry-go-round and delaying the inevitable or forestalling it forever by staying on the drug.  The drug manufacturer (Smithkline Beecham) assures us that Paxil is not addictive but if you feel so bad coming off, isn't that almost the same?  Thanks anyway, I think I'll take the Kava Kava and go fishing the next time I feel anxious or depressed.  There is nothing so uplifting as the sounds (or lack thereof) and the beauty of a lake at sunset.  And if that's not enough, the prospect of an orgasm again is positively euphoric!!!  I'm looking forward to feeling like a healthy, normal female again.  Hooray!!!
I had been taking 10 mg's of Paxil every other day (my own decision) for approximately 4 months. I then quite cold turkey thinking that since the dosage was so low, I would not have withdrawal symptomes.  Well here it is almost 6 1/2 weeks later
and I'm still encountering a feeling of chills. It's worrisome and very disturbing. I hope it subsides soon, since I will not go back on.
I too am trying to get off paxil.  I have read a lot about the withdraw that seems so common.  I just want you all to know that today I went to my doctor and she informed me that it is imparative that I get off this horrible medication asap.  She said the longer you are on it the worse your withdraw will be.  Also there are more and more people that have gone through the withdraw and had even worse symptoms such as homicidal tendencies.  There is one guy that was on paxil for less than a year and he is in jail for killing someone (this guy was a Christian who has never been abusive in any way).  He also has a lawsuit going against Smith Kline and Beechem for their aweful medication and lack of info provided that informs people and doctors of the heroin like withdraw and homicidal tendencies.  Keep your guard up.  If you choose to get off this medicine then make sure you have support and love from your family and friends.  Warn them of what you may go through so they can keep an eye on you.  I don't know about you guys but I have found that paxil has always made me forgetful and preventing me from having a sense of time.  I feel like I just woke up from a coma when I hear that we are near the end of the year 2000.  I was on 20mg paxil.  Now I am on 10mg.  I have already started feeling the crappy symptoms (hot and cold all at once, dizzy, wierd zapping sensation in my head, nausia, sweating profusily, tired, major insomnia).  This is no fun, but I am going to ride this storm out.  I know that it WILL eventually end.  I wish I had never taken paxil!  Good luck to you all!
wish michael schwartz chicago att. left his email address i would like to know more about his attempt to sue smith cline for not informing us about the HORRENDOUS withdrawel side effects from the drug paxil.
listen everybody.  there is only one way to ween off of paxil.  slow, slow, and then slower.  i have done it twice now and each time it took me 3 to 4 months to quit from 20 mg.  You will have to have a lot of patience and many days of dizzyness to contend with.  you just have to deal with it.  i do not like the head zaps so i had to go slowly so that wouldl not happen.
also, when you get down to 10 mg that is when it gets hard.  i went to the doctor and got a perscription of 10 mg pills so it would be easier to cut the pills down.  i also would suggest liquid paxil for an even more exact dosage.  once i get off of paxil this time i will never go back on it.  i gained 30 lbs on it and the doctor never told me crap about weight gain or the withdrawal symptoms.  that makes me mad!
I have been on paxil for 10 years. Every time I try to stop taking it, by the 5th or 6th day I am having incredible withdrawls. The worst is the feeling of my head being all fuzzy like snow on a bad tv channel. Then its like a zap.Nausea, loose bowels, anger, tension, body aches, halucinations, wild dreams, uncontrollable/unpredictable moods, odd ball appetite (one day you gorge, next day might be no food at all), double vision, odd ball sleep patterns (some times insomnia, other times can't seem to function at all for days).I was never much of a drinker or party girl, but noticed when I got more comfortable with it that the paxil worked like a sort of hangover drug. Have also experienced the heart palpatations, but never thought of it being due to the paxil. I lost one pregnancy while trying to stop the drug. My body went into a state of shock by the 10th day. Had to start back on it. I have also in the last few months started to experience numbness in my legs at random times. At one point I was told it was a pinched nerve in my right leg that would work itself out. But now it is in different areas in both my legs. Yes, right and left leg. I recently have been weening myself from 40mg a day to 20mg a day. Once I am comfortable with the 20mg I plan to cut that in half as well and continue this until I'm off of it. The more I read, the more terrified of what this drug is doing to my body and my life. I just don't know if there are some sort of home remedies that may be of good help for the dizziness and zaps. That is the most noticable and irritating withdrawl (withdrawal) to deal with for me. Please help!
***@****
Wow!   I've been on Paxil for 16 years.  I've tried to get off several times but I cannot tolerate the withdrawels.  I'm trying to get off again and started weaning from 40mg to 20mg for a week then down to 10mg for another week then stop completely.   I started taking 50mg of Pristiq while doing this.  I've been off Paxil for a week now and feel terrible.   I feel depressed, scared, my body aches, weird dreams, lightheaded, weak, and many other disabling feelings.  Any suggestions?
Paxil is a great drug for me personally. But I did experience the full on effects of stopping Paxil when I stupidly let my prescription lapse. It was like nothing I've ever experienced: electric jolts in my legs, extreme and unctontrollable aggression, completely mood dysregulated, profound dissociative symptoms. There is a name for this condition in neurology; which I can't quite recall.  It is an identified neurological condition so I'm surprised to read that some MDs are unaware of it. I went from 60mg long-term use to nothing to see if I needed the Paxil. Well, I did. I am back on it and happy with it's efficacy in alleviating depressive symptoms but most certainly would never go cold turkey again. If for some reason I need to stop taking Paxil will have an MD wean me off.
So....I have taken peroxitine (paxil CR) off and on for years.  I take it largely for the sexual side effect of delaying my normally quick ejaculation so I can experience sex without embarrassment.  Due to this, I've come to the point now where I take 5 or 6 pills at once, so around 150 mg every day.  I know this is bad, and I'm killing my liver.  However, until I find another way to have sex without embarrasment, I will continue.  Can anyone relate and or offer help?
Wow. I've been on Paxil for about 10 months. I became unemployed with no insurance and 2 kids so I decided to stop taking them and started wondering if what I'm feeling is normal. It's been 9 days since my last one and I have been experiencing much of the same as others. The most irritating is the vibrating head thing as well as heart palpitations. I was starting to worry I had a tumor or something. Anyway, I thought it would be over by now, but its not. Glad this site is here because at least I'm not going crazy.
Well, I have been on Paxil for nearly 10 years consistently and and on and off for about 4 years prior to that.  At the time I started taking it, I was in a very difficult place in my life.  I started out with 10 mgs and have been on 40 mg for the past several years.

I have felt that I have come to a better place in my life and have wanted to remove myself from relying on medications to solve my problems.  Unfortunately, I am well aware of the terrible withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms that are associated with Paxil (Jittery vision, sweat, nightmares, racing heart, nasuea, irritability, increased anxiety...).  

For the past three months my physician has been reducing my dosage slowly.  40-30 for 2 months, 30-20 for 2 months and next with be 20-10 mg.

Dropping from 40 to 30 mg was not a difficult as I initially anticipated.  I only experienced a couple of days of increased anxiety, sweats, jittery vision, nightmares, body aches, etc.  Within three weeks I felt much better and was ready to move on.  

One and a half months ago I dropped from 30-20 mg and unfortunately to symptoms seem to have amped up and continued for a longer period of time.  Especially feelings of a racing heart, nightmares, lethargy, increased moments of anxiety, and insomnia.

These most recent experiences have made me consider upping my dose back to 30 mg. to simply ease the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  I am hoping that the symptoms will ease and I can continue to reduce my dosage.

Has anyone ever gone through a similar experience?  I would love to hear from you if you have.

I am also attempting to quit using Paxil after being on it for nearly 14 years.  Similar to you, I started cutting back from 40 to 30 and now to 20 mg.  I am also having many of the same side effects...and they are incredibly difficult to deal with.  

Have your symptoms of withdrawl (withdrawal) improved?  I am unsure if I want to continue dropping if the withdrawls continue.

Best of luck and I hope things work out for you.
i dont know if this would help u, but I am currently on day two of effexor w/ds, and i have heard that it is similar to that of paxil w/ds.  I went cold turkey because tapering was just getting too hard to do.  I took 10mgs of prozac yesterday & 20mgs of prozac today and it has completely taken away those brain zaps and dizziness.  I don't plan on taking prozac anymore after tomorrow, but so far it has really made a difference from the last time i tried to quit effexor.  Of course it is only 2 days, but as you know, when you are coming off medication like this, 2 days feels like 2 years. Good luck!!
i cut myself off cold turkey a week ago....the electric jolts at first were hard to endure but then when i kept myself busy and just handled it they are less aggressive then the itching that felt like bugs were crawling over me drove me crazy....at first i was omg i got bugs then i watched my skin and it was all in my head, i just add more lotion to my skin....
You've posted on an old thread.  You will get more input if you start your own thread, and I would recommend doing so in our Depression community:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/57?camp=msc
Please let me know how was your withdrawal. I was prescribed Prozac  for anti anxiety and post par-tum when my baby turned 6weeks old. He is now 3 months old today and for the past week i have been taking a half 20mg pill every other day also and im hallucinating, anxious, depressed, light headed, fuzzy headed, naucious, blurry vision. i can barley type im so weaken,,,can anyone help me understand<i suffered from seizure disorder epilepsy as a child. I stopped meds for that and cured myself at 19 by not taking the drugs.

I am scared can barely function.
This is the Straight Jacket of Pharmaceutical company's!!