paxil withdrawal
why is withdrawal from paxil so intense.i'm on 20mg. a day, i,ve tried cutting back to 10mg  was on that for a month, then i tried to take 10mg every other day,the second day istarted having withdrawals,tremers,heart racing,weak,ihave never felt so bad in my life.so i always goback to taking the 20mg aday.
I have been reading all the information you all have written about paxil.  I was on paxil for almost two years and now any
trying very hard to get off of it.  And please anyone reading this don't quit cold turkey.  It will make you very sick. You have to wean yourself off paxil VERY slowly.  It  doesn't matter what your doctor tells you, take it from me, it's a very hard thing to do.  I was weened off taking 30mg  for a week, to 25mg for a week, to 20mg for a week, to 10 mg per week, and finally 5mg for the last week.  Symptoms I experienced were extreme confusion, extreme depression, constantly crying, having no energy to do anything, panic attacks, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, horrible dreams, major headaches  (usually cured by advil), vision and concentration problems, and extreme short term memory loss; and I'm sure I've left some out. My doctor has put me on 200mg serzone and will eventually work me up to 500mg per day.  If anyone knows how I can get any help  for solving these problems, please email me at ***@****,  Thanks, Jennifer Waters
What a relief!!!  Finally, people who know what I'm going through!  Paxil withdrawal has been difficult and only now, do I realize it's from the Paxil and not me, thanks to a report on the TV show 20-20.
I even ended up at the hospital because de dizziness and electric shocks were too much to handle.  But the doctors could not find anything wrong with me and sent me home.
I am very angry at my doctor for not telling me about withdrawal. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs because I don't like anything that can cause a dependence and it feels like my body is dependent on Paxil.  Something should be done to inform doctors about withdrawal because there are too many of us experiencing this and they cannot go on ignoring it. It is their duty to tell us exactly what we are ingesting, they are the ones with the degree.
My 12 year old has started taking paxil; he asked the right questions and agreed to use it "short term" in order to feel better while learning "coping" skills with his counselor. The intent was to then go off of it within about 3--6 months from initial onset.He has been on it for 3 weeks.  My child saw a recent episode of 20/20 when spending the nite at his Dad's and I requested the transcript of it since my child told me the same type of info. about withdrawal that you have listed. He is very worried that he has not heard of ANYONE withdrawing from Paxil successfully and is asking legitimate questions about the pros and cons of staying on it; he is feeling better depression-wise but is very concerned about whether to stick with it for now or get off of it now. Any info. about paxil and kids would be appreciated.
My doctor started me on 10 mg of paxil for about 10 days then I
was to start building up to 20 mgs.  The first 20 mg that I took
made me so sick.  He felt that they weren't helping my anxiety problem so he told me to quit cold turkey which i questioned.
I started going thru withdrawal which he didn't recognize and he
imediately started me on trazadone 150 mg to help me sleep.  He
told me it was a sleeping pill not an antidepressant.  I quit this cold turkey also because it really made me feel bad and didn't do what he expected.  I'm actually in withdrawal from both drugs.  I cannot sleep on my own.  I get those electric shocks
throughout my body and these wake me up constantly.  My mind is not sharp or alert anymore.  This is a nightmare!  Can I do anything to this doctor for giving me this drug and not telling
me about the side effects???Any lawyers out there????? My life is
a mess now if I don't take sleeping pills to counter act the effects of the shocks, and dizzyness.
am  (***@****)
Ive taken paxil in dosages from 10 to 60 mgs for over 7 yrs. most of the time ive taken 20 to 40 mgs and for the last 6 months 60 mgs. Ive been having a horrible time coming off and just thought I was nuts but looks like many here have the same symptoms. for a while when i would move, i felt a swooshing sound and feeling as though the whole world spun and got a shocking like numbness in my face and arms and hands. i just walked across the room to get a cigarette and can barely stand im so dizzy. I suffer form panic and agoraphobia and ill tell ya, with this withdraw its pure hell. I know ill get through this somehow and have hopes of trying a different med. Ive heard serzone is helpful but kind of scared of any meds in general after this. years ago i went through high dosages of valium and had a bit of a qualude problem. it was pretty bad but no where as strange as paxil withdraw. If anyone has any sugestions of something that works well with klonopin im presently taking for panic attacks please share your thoughts and ill look into it. if you have any questions or anything to share, feel free to write me. ***@****
            Thanks and wish you all the best :)
I've been on paxil for two months. A doctor prescribed it 15 minutes after meeting me. My stress was job related (and I moved to a new city) and I hadn't suffered from depression in the past. I cut down from 20 mg to 10 mg when I gave my notice at work. In the two weeks following cutting back I've experienced a sensation I can only describe as similar to what I suspect heart palpitations would feel like, I'm nautious and dizzy every day, I spent 24 hours in bed believing I had the flu a week and a half after I cut back, my teeth involuntarily click together, I feel like passing out, a week ago I began experiencing headaches. I have nightmares, I sleep either too much or too little. I thought perhaps something was physically wrong with me when I realized the symptoms began 2-3 days after cutting back on the paxil. I'm getting worse even though I haven't entirely given the drug up. I'm angry and upset and I don't understand why this wasn't in the literature that was given to me. Paxil's being described as a "wonder" anti-depressant because it's considered non addictive. I'd rather be depressed.
I have been off of paxil for 9months and let me tell you I believe that drug to be the worst mind controlling thing in the world. I almost never got off I took 20mg for a week 10mg for a week 5.mg for a week then a half of that and I still experienced withdrawl. have you all noticed everyone on paxil eventually tries to get off of it and has no idea why. my life was ruined from it and like all the others the doctors say it isn't the paxil. what I want to say mainly is I hope you all get off of it successfully but to tell you paxil is still after 9 months inbedded in my system I now have swollen and hurting lymphnodes a symptom I picked up after 7 yrs of taking paxil I have extreme panic attacks and a phobia of thunderstorms. and all of this occured because of that pill. The doctors put me on paxil because I was crying alot and I had or have 5 children they claimed I was depressed. maybe so I believe we all get that way especially when we can get noone to help or listen but the effects of my depression was nothing compared to the lifelong effects paxil has caused me. I am no longer on any medication and if I do become depressed I will be going to get chamiomile  tea, or st. johns wort or one of the other herbs it will most certainly not be one of those paxil or any other. I am telling you all from 15 yrs of taking antidepressants paxil is the one to stay clear of and the others aren't all that grand either. I hope if anyone else has had some of the side effects from taking paxil please e-mail me. ***@**** I cannot find a doctor to tell me why and howlong paxil is going to be in my system.  Remember I was on it 7 yrs and still at times have the feelings I had when withdrawing from it at the beginning of coming off of it and my lymphnodes and spleen are hurting from the paxil, I have no idea why I can't even get a doctor to tell me anything. thanks for listening please respond if you have any insights on this matter
I too have been experiencing Paxil withdrawal after being on it for a year.  I tapered off over the last 2 months, and started having the "vibrating head" and "short bursts of electrical energy" that people have described.  It's good to know that it isn't just me.  I just hope it goes away soon.  I don't plan on going back on Paxil just because I hate the side effects of withdrawal--I want to be off of it for good.  Thanks for everyone's sharing of their experiences.
I am 37 years old.  I started taking Paxil four months ago for depression/panic attacks.  It has helped somewhat, but I have gained 25 lbs, even with increased exercise and normal eating.  It has made me so depressed I've decided to stop immediately.  Now that I read all of these withdrawal symptoms, I'm totally freaking out!  I already suffer these symptoms, even if minor.  I don't know what to do but I certainly wish someone had told me what I was getting into!  It's affecting my life - home, work, etc. in ways that are just not acceptable.
I ran out of Paxil during labor day weekend, and I was fine for a few days, but then all of a sudden, I felt like crying at everything, nothing was going right..... all of the same feelings I had before I took Paxil. When I'm on it, I feel absolutely fine on the paxil, but off of it I'm a wreck.
Unbelievable!!  I have been on Paxil for a couple of years now. Last couple of months have tapered myself off. Last count was taking a 30mg every 5 days. On the six day I would start feeling those dreaded withdrawal symptoms. I wasn't able to explain it accurately until I read this board. The vibrating head, pulsating sensations in my fingers and feet, heightened anxiety, and anger. I wanted to get this stuff completely out of my system so last week stopped taking the **** totally. I think if I went through one more vibrations in my head, I was going to scream. I just took a 30mg about an hour ago. Feel better, but very frustrated. I think what i am going to do, because I am 100% committed to getting this garbage out of my system is in 5 days take a 10, do that for a week or two and then a five and so on..I am just shocked at hard this has been to come off of. Someone wrote about a class action lawsuit, I am there. This should have been discussed with me. It makes me very angry that it was not.

kit
I took Paxil a couple of years ago, found that while on it, I hardly ever got a decent night of sleep.  Each night was filled with hallucination-like "vivid" dreams.  So after about 3 months I took myself off.  Being on it was not a pleasant experience!

On the other hand, my husband has been on it for a few years, but has just quit cold turkey.  I'm relieved to know his hostile, uncommunicative behavior and nausea may be caused by withdrawal, otherwise, I'm not sure I can stick around anymore--it's awful!
I've been on 20mg Paxil for 3 years. I tried to get off Paxil about a year and a half ago. I just stopped cold turkey for about a month.  I actually thought I was going to die. The withdrawal was so bad I had to go back on Paxil and within no time I was fine. Had I known the withdrawal symptons I  would never taken it. The viberating head or electrical shocks was the worst thing and I was so short fused. I don't know which is worse dealing with depression and anxiety or the withdrawal symptons. I'm trying to go off again after gaining 50 pounds on the medicine. This time I'm going to 10mg every other day and it is helping some.  The doctor did change my medicine reluctantly by my request. He put me on Serzone and I pray to God it does better. The Paxil helped me as far as bursting out angry for no real reason, it helped me cope with life (no sucidal thought)but as far as it goes I was still not really interested in anything but my family. Has anybody experienced anything with Serzone? I want to thank each and everyone of you - it has belped me so to find out it's not just me and a lot of things going on is a withdrawal sympton that I didn't really know what it was. May God bless each and everyone of you and goodluck.
I have been getting off of Paxil for about one month.  I am down to about 1 and 1/4 a day for three days and nothing on the fourth day.  Symptoms include crying, numbness of the face, hands and sometimes one arm, and neck pain.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may further expect for symptoms if I drop the last one per day?  Is this as bad as it gets?  Am I already experiencing as much as I am likely to have for side effects, or could there be worse to come when I totally go off?

A useful book I have found is "Your Drug May Be Your Problem"
by Peter Breggin.  He recommends 10% drop for at least a week
or a month; however long until you feel that you  have coped with that, and then go down another 10% as you are comfortable with that dose.  I hope that helps.  My sympathy to all Paxil
withdrawees.

I'm glad to know it isn't just ME experiencing these horrible sensations from Paxil withdrawal. I started taking 20 mg per day 3 years ago. When I tried to stop taking it cold turkey, I experienced a severe depression and irregular heartbeat. I finally worked my way down to 10 mg per day, which is as low as I've been able to get in a year's time. Now I've cut down to 10 mg every other day, and it's HELL. I'm not experiencing the dips into depression that I've experienced other times, but the heart palpitations, the "whooshing" sounds in my ears, headaches, etc., are the worst yet. I'm determined to get off this stuff, even if I have to do it gradually, but the withdrawal symptoms are frightening and I think patients should be warned about them previously. It's obviously NOT just in our heads.
I am so glad to see other people with the same problems I am experiencing.  i was on 10mg and then bumped up to 20mg. I was put on this due to a heated divorce. Well know, 2 years later I am looking to get off of Paxil. My dosage was cut from 20mg to 10mg to 5mg in a 2 week period. I have been off for about a week and I feel as if at times my head is going to explode. I have times that I break down and cry for no reason and I never, ever cry (macho thing haha). Also I am very shortempered and am always snapping at people. I hate this and am trying to figure out what can be done to help me out of this.
I have been reading these comments today, and I have seen myself over and over.  My family doctor started me on Paxil 20mg/day in December 1999 when I was experiencing severe depression and panic attacks.  After being on this medication one week, I thought I had found a miracle medicine.  He assured me it was not addictive, and I would probably only need to be on it for a period of 3-6 months.  I am a born again Christian, so I struggled with taking medications of any kind, but he assured me that it "is no different than a diabetic having to take insulin."  I tried to stop this medication twice, and had to restart due to severe depression, crying episodes, tingling in my head, etc.  I really got confused as to whether my previous symptoms were recurring, or whether this was withdrawal!!  I found myself feeling like I was going "crazy" and couldn't cope, so I returned to the Paxil.  Several weeks ago, I began experiencing symptoms of mania (exreme hyperactivity, sleeplessness, excess energy, trouble focusing on anything).  This really felt good for a while, but when I mentioned it to the doctor, he now feels I might be manic-depressive, and wanted to stop the Paxil.  I was so scared of what I might experience, I downplayed the mania, so he decided to lower me to Paxil 10mg/day.  I have been on this dose for 2 weeks now, and am pretty tearful some days, but otherwise I am getting better.  I still have night sweats, too.  My response is that I am going to successfully "come off" Paxil with the help of prayer and faith in God.  I can't say I am not a little scared about how I will feel, but I know that "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"  Phillipians 4:13.  I have called some of my friends at church, and confided to them that I have been taking a medication to which I have become addicted, and I want them to support and pray with me and for me as I experience withdrawals.  I don't plan to suddenly withdraw, but do the 10mg one day, 5mg next day routine for a while.  Then 5 mg/day, then 5mg every other day and so on.  Think of it like weaning a baby from breastfeeding.  Stop one feeding every 3-4 days and use a bottle instead.  Gradually increase the number of feedings you miss until the baby is totally on the bottle.  I am going to supplement Paxil with prayer, meditation, and reading God's Word until finally God is who I totally depend on - NOT PAXIL.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Ginny
Oh my God, oh my God.  I had no idea what was happening to me.  Everything you guys have described is what I'm feeling.  Especially those dreadful dreams.  About 2 weeks ago I came down with the flu.  Since I was already feeling miserable I decided to stop taking Paxil, yes "cold turkey".  I came to some revolution in my life that I wanted to cleanse my mind, body and soul.  I strongly believe in mind over matter, but this drug is serious.  I have "clean" for 1 week now, the shocks get weaker, the dizziness does lessen, but some days are bad.  I don't want to start taking them again.  I figure I'm half way there, since I have only been taking Paxil for 3 1/2 months.  This was the worse thing I could have done to my body.  I find that exercising helps.  I feel so much better after I run and rollerblade, but I can' wait to be my old self again.  I'm just going to go back to my St. Johns and Kava Kava.  Thanks so much for the input.
I've encountered similar withdrawal symptoms with Paxil that many of you have posted.  A genetically predisposed bout with Graves Disease was the reason for my use of Paxil @ 30mg/day for the past 6 months.  3 cold-turkey attempts have failed.  My present attempt at 15mg/day has been difficult, but after a week, small daily progress is noticable.  My symptoms were/are: headache, high frequency buzzing in the middle ear, nausea, and a couple of real funky dreams.  The worst has been the headaches.  The rest I can put up with in the interim.  Two 500mg Tylenol has given me the best results for the headache.  Keeping healthy snack food handy has helped with the nausea.
Paxil helps one who is anxious about social situations,etc por have social phobia feel better. Big deal. It should never have been prescribed to me. YOU CANT GET OFF IT. I was fine going from 40 mg to 20 mg but going from 20 to 10 causes symptoms of angry outbursts, irritability and physical symptoms like "head rushes". I say to all those who go to a doc, they should insist on ask counseling before meds and they should really examine themselves as far as what they want from it. Be realistic. You are stuck with social phobic symptoms. Just try and recognize the negative thinking.
  It really is a life sentence of Zoloft, Paxil or whatever SSRI your physician chooses. Dealing with authority figures and keeping from being low at times are my problems. I hope this every other day regiment I set for myself of 10 mg of Paxil doesn't cause too much physcial and anxious symptoms.  I yelled at some stranges in July and they broke my jaw and it was the result of Paxil withdrawal. I received $12,000 in medical bills from the surgery and hospital charges for them to fix it in the ER.  I just got mad. I couldn't control it I guess.
They cops caught the guys though. I should get restitution. I didn't lay a finger on them.

My jaw was wired shut for 8 weeks.  It is good to be back on solid food. Finally, it is dangerous if you don't take your dose every day of Paxil or if you try to wean off it.

I hate sweating so much and being around nimrods.  

john
I had been on Paxil (10 mg) for about one year.  Having had experience with Paxil wihtdrawal before, I decided to go very slowly - taking a month - to get off it.  I purchased the liquid form so I could really reduce slowly.  Well, I am still experiencing severe flu-like symptoms which include nausea, headache, exhaustion and joint pain.  I also have a tingling in my extremities at times.  I have found Tylenol very helpful for the pain but the other symptoms just have to be dealt with.  This kind of thing can go on for weeks - I know.  I've been there and only decided to go back on Paxil because I was unable to take Wellbrutrin, Selexa, Prozak etc.  I am manic-depressive and the whole issue of taking an antidepressant is a dicey one.  So . . .  I am toughing it out and looking forward to the day when the Paxil withdrawal symptoms are gone.  My doctor informs me that I have the dubiou distinction of having the worst Paxil withdrawal symptoms he has ever seen.  Lucky me!!  Good luck to all of you out there.  Hang in and get off!
I was put on Paxil for 4 days due to depression as a result of being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Was told it would also help me sleep better. After the 4th day at 20mg I got severely nauseated to the point of not being able to function. I was put on Phenegren for a few days and discontinued the Paxil and the nausea went away. Three weeks later I saw another Dr who wanted to try the Paxil again only in small increments. 5mg 1 week, 10mg for 1 week and 10 for a third week. I was feeling fine until the 4th week and the nausea began again. The doctor tried acid reducers and consequently didnt have me discontinue the Paxil for another 3 wks. I was on it for a total of 6 wks before he had me stop abruptly. the nausea persisted for two days and then stopped but only for 3 days and then was back worse than before. It was so bad, along with dizziness that I was hospitalized. I was dehydrated and so nauseated I could not eat. No tests found anything wrong. That was in June of 00. I have continued to have severe nausea everyday since, so bad in the beginning I just begged to die....it is somewhat bearable at times now but is destroying my life. I have lost my job, my family is frustrated and helpless and now another shrink wants to put me on Wellbutrin. He agrees the Paxil caused the nausea. Does anyone know if this will ever go away or has it caused permenant damage.Please help if you can. May God Bless. TERESA
I was on Paxil on an off for the last 5 years.  Each time I wanted to get off, I would experience the "problems" again and again the Doctor would suggest that I remain on Paxil.

I finally in August of this year, wanted to get off Paxil and truly know if I was able to live life without a pink pill.  I researched the withdrawls this time better so I felt armed for the battle I was to start.  Of course, over a period of 6 weeks I went from 20mg daily, to the last week to zero.  And this week was hard, the head vibrating, the heart racing, the ears ringing, the dizziness.  I am determined to get off Paxil and confirm, if I need the meds or am I hooked on the meds.

I am concerned since Paxil is only a 7 year medicine, and I took it for 5 years.  I will continue to watch and see, if there are any long term problems or effects that will occur from my Paxil intake.

God Bless,
Thanks people,

I just got perscription of Paxil for anxiety. I took 2 doses and it made me very weird, so I have been trying to decide if it is worth it to continue. Since the withdrawal symptoms actually sound worse than than the target symptoms -I'm thinking it migh be best to explore other avenues.
WOW, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD FIND ANYONE WHO FELT THE SAME WAY THAT I DO! I HAVE BEEN TAKING PAXIL 20MG FOR 4 MONTHS NOW (FOR POST-PARTUM DEPRESSION). DURING MY COURSE OF THERAPY I HAD NUMEROUS SIDE EFFECTS...HEADACHES,BLURRED VISION,++++ANXIETY AND MUCH MORE.BECAUSE OF THE +++ANXIETY MY DOCTOR SAID I NEEDED A HIGHER DOSAGE SO HE INCREASED IT TO 30MG,WELL, WRONG MOVE..... THE SIDE EFFECTS LANDED ME IN THE ER 3 TIMES, I THOUGHT I WAS DYING! I FINELY DECIDED THAT ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH I HAD TO STOP THIS MEDICATION AS SOON AS I COULD. I DECREASED MY DOSE TO 20MG FOR ONE WEEK THEN 10MG FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND NOW I AM DOSE FREE....BUT THE WITHDRAWAL IS WORSE THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. I HAVE THESE FUNNY FEELINGS IN MY HEAD, DIZZINESS WHICH FEELS ALOT LIKE BEING ON A ROCKING BOAT, +++BLURRED VISION, TREMORS, HEART PALPITATIONS, MUSCLE PAIN AND ALSO REALLY BAD ANXIETY. IF I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE THIS WAY I NEVER WOULD HAVE STARTED PAXIL IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE ONLY THING THAT'S GETTING ME THROUGH, IS KNOWING THAT IT CAN'T LAST FOREVER(HOPEFULLY) AND ALSO KNOWING THAT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE OUT THERE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THESE WITHDRAWAL EFFECTS CAN LAST? GOOD-LUCK EVERYONE!!!
I've was given Paxil last fall (30mg) and it worked great.  I feel stronger now and am trying to get off it, got down to 20's, then 15's (cutting pills) and then 10's but can't stop entirely. I have the electrical impulse feeling in my head as well as not being able to focus clearly.  My doctor recommended just getting off it cold turkey but I couldn't.  I called her after watching a 20/20 episode about paxil withdrawal and realized that I wasn't crazy and that there are withdrawal symptoms.
Hello Everyone:

I have been on Paxil for 4 years.  I started taking this after my 6 year old daughter was killed in a car accident.  It seemed to work well.  My thought was anything that could dull the incredible pain I was experiencing was welcomed into my life.  I am trying to get off of Paxil now.  I have been able to wean myself from 40mg to 30mg to 20mg to 15mg.  I hate the side effects.  What has made me decide to go off the paxil are the vivid nightmares eveynight, night sweats, dizziness and a complete feeling of being numb with no emotions.

I do have a chemical imbalance and do need to be on some type of antidepressant.  I might mention that I also take serzone.

If anyone has any recommendations, please write.

Thanks.
Dawn

i am so thankful i found you folks. i thought i was going crazy. both doctor and pharmacist said i would not have a problem coming off. i have tapered from 20 to 10 to 0 but after reading your comments i am going to go back to 5 for a week or so. i have had the dizzyness, hightened sensitivity in my lips and teeth and a numbness in my hands and feet. i hope the symptoms will go away with a week or so of 5mgs. would like to hear from someone who has had these same problems who is now totally symptom free. of course there probably arent too many of you hanging around this sight. what a reeif to know i am not about to die.
concerning the lawsuit suggested by michael shwartz, he left no
address.i am interested in pursuing this matter further. if
anyone has his e-mail address,please post it on this site.if
anyone has succesfully gotten off of the drug paxil please
explain exactly how you did it!! i am desperate!!!!!!!!!

wendyelks
I am so angry about this whole paxil withdrawl.  Why wasn't I told by my DR that the complications would be so severe.  I am a 34 year old mother of 3 small children, and I can hardly cope with the nasea, dizziness, hot flashes, and headaches while carring for my children.  I've never been this sick in my life, and yes I am sick DRs.  When I went on paxile I was extremely dizzy and tired.  I informed my doctor of this a couple of times along with my pharmasist.  They both told me it was normal and to keep taking it.  From now on if my intuition tells me something is not right with the situation at hand I will listen.  As for most DRs and pharmasists I'm sorry to say you have been desensitized in your line of work by ailing patients, and if thats the case you need a career change.

Tammy
I was on Paxil 20 mg for about six months and decided that since the cause of my anxiety was gone, so should the Paxil.  In consultation with my doctor, I reduced the dosage to 10 mg. by breaking the pills in half and used up the prescription - about ten days.  Just before I started to reduce the dosage, I checked the web and got a real eye-opener.  The weight I'd gained was not because I'd been eating too much (just the opposite in fact), and the loss of sexual sensation in spite of having a mind that wanted to play, was also something I'd experienced and yet did not attribute them to the Paxil.  After reading of others' experiences, I was more convinced that ever to get OFF this drug.  I cut the dosage down to 10 mg for about 10 days and within two days was experiencing many of the things others have experienced:  vertigo, lightheadedness, eyes sensitive to light, hot and cold feelings at the same time.  I am still having these sensations after a week and they may last another week or so.

When the anxiety was not a life-long kind of problem, just episodic, I feel now that my doctor should have suggested something like kava kava or St. John's Wort.  Certainly, the side effects of discontinuing them (if indeed there are any) are nothing like coming off paxil.  And the suggestion to go back on Paxil to alleviate the symptoms is, to me, just getting back on the merry-go-round and delaying the inevitable or forestalling it forever by staying on the drug.  The drug manufacturer (Smithkline Beecham) assures us that Paxil is not addictive but if you feel so bad coming off, isn't that almost the same?  Thanks anyway, I think I'll take the Kava Kava and go fishing the next time I feel anxious or depressed.  There is nothing so uplifting as the sounds (or lack thereof) and the beauty of a lake at sunset.  And if that's not enough, the prospect of an orgasm again is positively euphoric!!!  I'm looking forward to feeling like a healthy, normal female again.  Hooray!!!
I too am trying to get off paxil.  I have read a lot about the withdraw that seems so common.  I just want you all to know that today I went to my doctor and she informed me that it is imparative that I get off this horrible medication asap.  She said the longer you are on it the worse your withdraw will be.  Also there are more and more people that have gone through the withdraw and had even worse symptoms such as homicidal tendencies.  There is one guy that was on paxil for less than a year and he is in jail for killing someone (this guy was a Christian who has never been abusive in any way).  He also has a lawsuit going against Smith Kline and Beechem for their aweful medication and lack of info provided that informs people and doctors of the heroin like withdraw and homicidal tendencies.  Keep your guard up.  If you choose to get off this medicine then make sure you have support and love from your family and friends.  Warn them of what you may go through so they can keep an eye on you.  I don't know about you guys but I have found that paxil has always made me forgetful and preventing me from having a sense of time.  I feel like I just woke up from a coma when I hear that we are near the end of the year 2000.  I was on 20mg paxil.  Now I am on 10mg.  I have already started feeling the crappy symptoms (hot and cold all at once, dizzy, wierd zapping sensation in my head, nausia, sweating profusily, tired, major insomnia).  This is no fun, but I am going to ride this storm out.  I know that it WILL eventually end.  I wish I had never taken paxil!  Good luck to you all!
wish michael schwartz chicago att. left his email address i would like to know more about his attempt to sue smith cline for not informing us about the HORRENDOUS withdrawel side effects from the drug paxil.
I had been taking 10 mg's of Paxil every other day (my own decision) for approximately 4 months. I then quite cold turkey thinking that since the dosage was so low, I would not have withdrawal symptomes.  Well here it is almost 6 1/2 weeks later
and I'm still encountering a feeling of chills. It's worrisome and very disturbing. I hope it subsides soon, since I will not go back on.
listen everybody.  there is only one way to ween off of paxil.  slow, slow, and then slower.  i have done it twice now and each time it took me 3 to 4 months to quit from 20 mg.  You will have to have a lot of patience and many days of dizzyness to contend with.  you just have to deal with it.  i do not like the head zaps so i had to go slowly so that wouldl not happen.
also, when you get down to 10 mg that is when it gets hard.  i went to the doctor and got a perscription of 10 mg pills so it would be easier to cut the pills down.  i also would suggest liquid paxil for an even more exact dosage.  once i get off of paxil this time i will never go back on it.  i gained 30 lbs on it and the doctor never told me crap about weight gain or the withdrawal symptoms.  that makes me mad!
I have been on paxil for 10 years. Every time I try to stop taking it, by the 5th or 6th day I am having incredible withdrawls. The worst is the feeling of my head being all fuzzy like snow on a bad tv channel. Then its like a zap.Nausea, loose bowels, anger, tension, body aches, halucinations, wild dreams, uncontrollable/unpredictable moods, odd ball appetite (one day you gorge, next day might be no food at all), double vision, odd ball sleep patterns (some times insomnia, other times can't seem to function at all for days).I was never much of a drinker or party girl, but noticed when I got more comfortable with it that the paxil worked like a sort of hangover drug. Have also experienced the heart palpatations, but never thought of it being due to the paxil. I lost one pregnancy while trying to stop the drug. My body went into a state of shock by the 10th day. Had to start back on it. I have also in the last few months started to experience numbness in my legs at random times. At one point I was told it was a pinched nerve in my right leg that would work itself out. But now it is in different areas in both my legs. Yes, right and left leg. I recently have been weening myself from 40mg a day to 20mg a day. Once I am comfortable with the 20mg I plan to cut that in half as well and continue this until I'm off of it. The more I read, the more terrified of what this drug is doing to my body and my life. I just don't know if there are some sort of home remedies that may be of good help for the dizziness and zaps. That is the most noticable and irritating withdrawl to deal with for me. Please help!
***@****
Wow!   I've been on Paxil for 16 years.  I've tried to get off several times but I cannot tolerate the withdrawels.  I'm trying to get off again and started weaning from 40mg to 20mg for a week then down to 10mg for another week then stop completely.   I started taking 50mg of Pristiq while doing this.  I've been off Paxil for a week now and feel terrible.   I feel depressed, scared, my body aches, weird dreams, lightheaded, weak, and many other disabling feelings.  Any suggestions?
Paxil is a great drug for me personally. But I did experience the full on effects of stopping Paxil when I stupidly let my prescription lapse. It was like nothing I've ever experienced: electric jolts in my legs, extreme and unctontrollable aggression, completely mood dysregulated, profound dissociative symptoms. There is a name for this condition in neurology; which I can't quite recall.  It is an identified neurological condition so I'm surprised to read that some MDs are unaware of it. I went from 60mg long-term use to nothing to see if I needed the Paxil. Well, I did. I am back on it and happy with it's efficacy in alleviating depressive symptoms but most certainly would never go cold turkey again. If for some reason I need to stop taking Paxil will have an MD wean me off.
So....I have taken peroxitine (paxil CR) off and on for years.  I take it largely for the sexual side effect of delaying my normally quick ejaculation so I can experience sex without embarrassment.  Due to this, I've come to the point now where I take 5 or 6 pills at once, so around 150 mg every day.  I know this is bad, and I'm killing my liver.  However, until I find another way to have sex without embarrasment, I will continue.  Can anyone relate and or offer help?
Wow. I've been on Paxil for about 10 months. I became unemployed with no insurance and 2 kids so I decided to stop taking them and started wondering if what I'm feeling is normal. It's been 9 days since my last one and I have been experiencing much of the same as others. The most irritating is the vibrating head thing as well as heart palpitations. I was starting to worry I had a tumor or something. Anyway, I thought it would be over by now, but its not. Glad this site is here because at least I'm not going crazy.
Well, I have been on Paxil for nearly 10 years consistently and and on and off for about 4 years prior to that.  At the time I started taking it, I was in a very difficult place in my life.  I started out with 10 mgs and have been on 40 mg for the past several years.

I have felt that I have come to a better place in my life and have wanted to remove myself from relying on medications to solve my problems.  Unfortunately, I am well aware of the terrible withdrawl symptoms that are associated with Paxil (Jittery vision, sweat, nightmares, racing heart, nasuea, irritability, increased anxiety...).  

For the past three months my physician has been reducing my dosage slowly.  40-30 for 2 months, 30-20 for 2 months and next with be 20-10 mg.

Dropping from 40 to 30 mg was not a difficult as I initially anticipated.  I only experienced a couple of days of increased anxiety, sweats, jittery vision, nightmares, body aches, etc.  Within three weeks I felt much better and was ready to move on.  

One and a half months ago I dropped from 30-20 mg and unfortunately to symptoms seem to have amped up and continued for a longer period of time.  Especially feelings of a racing heart, nightmares, lethargy, increased moments of anxiety, and insomnia.

These most recent experiences have made me consider upping my dose back to 30 mg. to simply ease the withdrawl symptoms.  I am hoping that the symptoms will ease and I can continue to reduce my dosage.

Has anyone ever gone through a similar experience?  I would love to hear from you if you have.

I am also attempting to quit using Paxil after being on it for nearly 14 years.  Similar to you, I started cutting back from 40 to 30 and now to 20 mg.  I am also having many of the same side effects...and they are incredibly difficult to deal with.  

Have your symptoms of withdrawl improved?  I am unsure if I want to continue dropping if the withdrawls continue.

Best of luck and I hope things work out for you.
i dont know if this would help u, but I am currently on day two of effexor w/ds, and i have heard that it is similar to that of paxil w/ds.  I went cold turkey because tapering was just getting too hard to do.  I took 10mgs of prozac yesterday & 20mgs of prozac today and it has completely taken away those brain zaps and dizziness.  I don't plan on taking prozac anymore after tomorrow, but so far it has really made a difference from the last time i tried to quit effexor.  Of course it is only 2 days, but as you know, when you are coming off medication like this, 2 days feels like 2 years. Good luck!!
i cut myself off cold turkey a week ago....the electric jolts at first were hard to endure but then when i kept myself busy and just handled it they are less aggressive then the itching that felt like bugs were crawling over me drove me crazy....at first i was omg i got bugs then i watched my skin and it was all in my head, i just add more lotion to my skin....
You've posted on an old thread.  You will get more input if you start your own thread, and I would recommend doing so in our Depression community:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/57?camp=msc
Please let me know how was your withdrawal. I was prescribed Prozac  for anti anxiety and post par-tum when my baby turned 6weeks old. He is now 3 months old today and for the past week i have been taking a half 20mg pill every other day also and im hallucinating, anxious, depressed, light headed, fuzzy headed, naucious, blurry vision. i can barley type im so weaken,,,can anyone help me understand<i suffered from seizure disorder epilepsy as a child. I stopped meds for that and cured myself at 19 by not taking the drugs.

I am scared can barely function.
This is the Straight Jacket of Pharmaceutical company's!!

After reading most of these comments, I don't understand why people talk about getting off of Paxil if they are feeling fine. If there are no side effects from the drug there is no reason to get off of it to begin with!