Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
percocet addiction - help

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

percocet addiction - help

OK here we go. My boyfriend got hurt and now he been addicted to percs for a year now. Now he decided to try n stop taking them. He hasnt taken them in seven days, been taking subs. He doesnt crave percs now but he body hurts soo badly. he also is becoming very distand with me which isnt a concern. i just want me better. Is he doing the rite thing by taking subs or is that just hurting him? i dont know anything about this, i just want to know how to help him. Please if u know please tell me. thanks
I dont know anything about Sub, but percocet from what ive gathered is hydrocodone..lots of people here know alot, just hang in there, they will help you okay?
Hello ..

I have not taken Sub. but have taken my share of Hydrocodone..  With any addiction, the addict needs to be the one who decides to go clean.

The first hurdle is to admit that you have a problem.
The second step is to get clean.. There is a huge amount of fear of going into detox.. its not a great time, but its part of the process..

The fear is that Suboxone will become the new addiction..

He might need to consider just paying the tab and going into detox.. I did it and I am better for it today.. Its something to discuss with his doctor..

The distant thing is pretty normal. When he quits the sub, he will change again..

It would be great if you could get him to an NA meeting.. sit in a room full of people that are clean and want to help.
I should add that the biggest frustration for me is nobody understanding.. and the biggest frustration for loved ones is trying to understand..

That is normal ..  

At an NA meeting .. he will see a whole bunch of people who have gotten clean and are trying to stay clean.. He will believe that if these people can do it.. so can he..

Because its true..
Percocet is oxycodone. It's tough to come off of, but it can be done.  Subutex is used as a substitution sometimes.  Is he getting them from a doctor?  If so, he needs to discuss how he is feeling with the doctor.  He may be on the wrong dose???  I am a week off, and my body is killing me right now!  It's pretty normal.  But I would think that the subutex would help that somewhat.
yes percocet is oxycodone and tylenol and it is hard as hell to come off of, but you are right it can be done.  Percs were my drug of choice.  At the end of my using I was taking 60 ten mg percs a day.  March 11th has been one year for me.  It is no cake walk but I am here to tell you it can be done.  As far as the sub is concerned, he should not be taking that unless he is being followed by a doctor.  Sub is a very, very strong narcotic, much stronger than the percs he was taking.  Have him come here and read a few posts and ask a few questions.  It may help him.  Keep posting and let us know how yall are both doing.
Good Luck
Lisa
Jacksonville,FL
Thanks for helping everyone. He hasnt seen a doctor for any of this. He is afraid he wont help and just send him to rehab which he wont do. Are there any doctors that will help him without doing that? I really wish  i knew something about this. He wants to stop and be free of percs. How do i help him?
60????  Omg that's a ridiculous amount!  And here I am taking 20, wondering what shape my liver's in.  Did you have any liver damage that you're aware of?  I'm going in soon for tests to find out.

Feel free to pm me.  I don't want to get the thread off topic -
Hi~~ You can help him by being supportive and urging him to get to a Dr. and be honest.  As some others said,Sub. needs to be dosed properly. Most feel just fine on Sub. if taken properly.   Also,there are other meds that can be prescibed to ease withdrawals from Percocet.  Most Dr.s understand that people can't always go to rehab. and are happy to help.  It sounds like he really wants to stop. Hang in there with him...
Vicki
Does anyone know how i go about finding a doctor for him? i tried search on web n had no luck. I am from jersey.
So,there's not a Dr. who prescribes this?  
He can see an Internist/General Practitioner. Ask around who people recommend or just check the yellow pages. He probably needs a complete physical anyway and some lab work. The usual stuff.   Just make a new patient appointment with whomever you find and he can go and explain what he needs. It's a good start.
Vicki