Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
percocet addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

percocet addiction

Ok, so I am ready to stop the percocet but need some advise. I have been taking 2-4 percocets per day for about a year. Like most people I try and stop and can only last a couple days. My question is besides cold turkey is there a method out there that works? Is there other meds available to stop the cravings? what damage have I may already done to my brain/ organs Thanks in advance for your responses.
hello and welcome to the forum and as far as methods there are alot of different methods out there but for you cold turkey along with some vitamins will be the best way because you were on a very low dose of meds and not for a very long time either so withdrawal wont be to bad and wont last long at all last time i went cold turkey i went from 350-400 mg of oxy a day so i was taking more than u took all day at once and the physical withdrawal lasted around 8 days so i would imagine for you it wouldnt be near as bad or last for near as long and it is also GREAT that you are ready to stop before the addiction got out of hand and you went from the small amout you take now to the ridiculous amout that i was taking a day because it will progress and your tolerance will get higher by the day if you keep going but good luck with it you can do it just take a few days a be strong and you will be done with it before you know it

Good Luck and Godspeed
ABritt
hey i was on vocodin & perk for 2 to 3 yrs just reasently i read everyone comment on how thw quit but suboxone is not the answer my doc precribr me brand name catapres, Genric name is Clonidine HCL 0,1 MG 2 tables a day thats a blood preassure controller due to ur withdrawl (withdrawal) ur going 2 need it plus it has a mediction (medication) to cut opion out ur system as well plus he gave me valium,hydroxyzine HCL 25 MG, motrin 800 for pain but make sure u ask him how 2 use them and hot showers and bengay,multivitamine..im om day 3 and i feel much better im almost there if anything hit me up im here also the first 48 hours going 2 be krusak but after that keep urself hearing music ans active.
Hi and welcome! I have no experience with percs but plenty of people here have and I'm sure you'll get more responses soon. Are you prescribed these? If so your doctor can probably taper you down. If not, it doesn't seen like you're taking a ton although I don't know the milligrams, so if you don't want to go cold turkey a taper might not be too bad. Withdrawal stinks no matter what drug or how much, but if you do decide to go cold turkey after getting more advice, it may not be as bad as some of the withdrawals people go through on higher doses. Good luck to you, no matter which route you go, you can do this!
Feelingalone, congrats on your recovery. I'm glad you were able to do it without suboxone, but you can't really say "Suboxone is not the answer". It may not have been the answer for you, but for some people it has saved their lives. Everyone is different, what works for some may not work for others, we all have different needs and different paths to recovery. I agree that clonodine can be helpful with withdrawal and could be discussed with your doctor to see if it's an option, but it may not be an option for everyone, just like suboxone. For some people they can get through withdrawal without prescriptions and just use vitamins and natural supplements, it just depends on each person's individual needs.
thank u but im just putting it out there that theres other ways that u can kick the habbit my cuzin die from an over dose of subxone thats why i did my research about it before i kick that habbit and consulted my doc he gave me clonodine & is a non habbit..