Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
percocet and constipation?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

percocet and constipation?

ok - so this isn't a topic that too many of you want to be open about i'm sure....but i'm tapering off of percocet and am really proud of myself as i'm doing everything according to the plan. i have been constipated though for a few days now (which isn't abnormal for me on percocet).....but i just think that since i'm tapering, shouldn't it be getting better????? i took laxatives 3 days in a row and still nothing....i'm drinking so much water, i eat very healthy (whole wheats, lots of fiber, grains, organic products, fruits, veggies) and i work out everyday......

should i be nervous? any suggestions to help me out?????
that happened to me also...everytime i tried to taper..its almost like your bowels shut down because of the shock of less drugs...but i NEVER took a laxitive because i knew what was waiting for me around the corner...LOL!!   i wouldnt worry..but i wouldnt be taking anymore laxitives either...
Hi, I definately wouldn't take anymore laxatives.  Have you ever had a fecal impaction?  Sometimes that can stop the bm from occuring, so maybe a oil enema to soften up the stool, please let us know, I obviously don't mind this topic, one of the few things in hospital with immediate results and gratification. :)
You need to be aware of having a bowel obstruction also.
Very dangerous and can be life threatening.
I am sorry to hear you are so uncomfortable. I think you should head everyone's suggestions and see a doctor. The reason I saw that is that most everyone who is tapering or who is going c/t, usually has diarrhea. I have heard so many people in posts recommend Immodium. So, what I am trying to say is that it is out of the ordinary to be constipated at your stage.

Please see a doc as soon as you can.

Take care.
i had my first bowel movement *finally* last night. i will stop the laxatives. my reflexologist is putting me on a detox herbal rememdy that is supposed to flush toxins out through your bowels so when i'm done tapering - i will do the detox. to be honest.....i am nervous about telling a doctor b/c even though i tell my therapist, my accupuncturist, etc.....i feel like a doctor could send me to jail for abusing prescription meds or even have my son taken away from me - even though i'm doing the right thing by quitting and getting all of these people on board......i dunno if that sounds ridiculous or not......dunno if that could even happen????
what about colonics????have any of you tried that? what do you think of that to help me cleanse myself???
prune juice drink like 2 put spread out during the day. that should work i had the same problem anlso you need alot of fiber based foods when coming off this drug. like cereals, kidney beans, even like fiber pills. its all natural and you might be irrugular for along time