Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
prescription fraud, HELP

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

prescription fraud, HELP

My OB has been giving percocets ever since October, well last time I was there the nurse accidently(or maybe she did it to catch me) gave me an extra prescription slip with the drs signature already on it.  The nurse writes all my scripts for percs cuz the dr has already signed the slips and the nurse carries it with her.  Anyways 2 weeks after this appointment, I filled out the script with my name and percs!  I am since so scared, i cant eat or sleep and I'm a nervous wreck!  needless to say I'm clean  now.  I filled this script on April 5, when do you think I would be caught by?  Do controlled substance slips go back to the dr ?  help please
forgot to add i live in ohio
Don't worry about the prescription slip.  It's long gone by now.  The point at which it would have been scrutinized the most was when they filled it.  It's not going back to your doctor and there isn't any reason for anyone to look at it again.  The prescription has already been filled.  

I got a similar very nervous/scared feeling about something I did once when I was using the pills.  I think the really scared feeling comes from the addiction and the realization that things are wrong and that you're doing things you'd never do otherwise.
What if the nurse was trying to trick me?  And then later check if it was filled?  or am i just really paranoid?
These are valid concerns you are having. That was only ten days ago and i have known of people who did this same thing that were not arrested until later as the DEA spent some time investigating before making the arrest. ]

I hope this all works out okay for you but i also hope it serves as a lesson that will push you to get yourself well. I hope you recognize your problem and will start working a program of recovery. If something does happen it will look a lot better in court if you have yourself in recovery. A substance abuse counselor, some meetings. You will need support either way to overcome this. You can't do it alone.

Check the Health Pages here as well for some information and tips to help you out with this disease. They are at the top right of this page.

I truly wish you well and hope you can use this experience as your rock bottom no matter how it turns out. You can find lots of support here. We are here for you. Keep posting............

Jacky
This is my rock bottom, I have kids and a wonderful husband.  How would I even tell him that I did something so horrible?  He has no idea.  I am suppose to be a wonderful wife, mother, christian lady!  I can't be any of those with this on my mind all day!  I wish I could go back.....
In our state yes then send a copy back to the doctor and just because they have not does not mean you wont get caught .Get into some aftercare ASAP ok that will help you for u and if the policed do get involved.
You can't go back now. But, you can forgive yourself and move on and work on creating a brighter future for you and your family.

I am glad to hear that you are a christian lady as God holds all of the power to truly heal this disease. Pray. Pray a lot. I do everyday. And until i was willing to seek help and turn this over to Heavely Father i had never seen 69 days clean.

I would suggest telling your husband or someone close to you that you trust. Husband would be best. This is a lot of weight to carry on your own. You need support.

And please remember what i said about forgiving yourself. This is especially important as addiction feeds off of guilt. So ask God for forgivness, forgive yourself, change your behaviors and with that you will have earned the right to move on to a happier, healthy life.

All the best.

Jacky
Avis is right. In most states, in fact, the doctors office is notified every time you fill a prescription for percocet. That is why i said, they may still be investigating at this point. This is all the more reason to get into aftercare as she said.

Jacky
you need to contact kajama and talk with her shes awesome and shes been through alot of what your talking about.
I really appreciate everyones support and help!  My Dr does not take very good notes and I have just called and asked for percs and they leave the script at the desk for me!  I don't know how to break this to my husband, I have already in the past done so many things to hurt him
i really doubt they will flag you... esp since they just wrote you a new script... the doctor is giving you percs ongoing and the pharmacy wont flag you.. since this doctor is giving you the percs there's no reason for them to flag you... you can just count your "blessings" cuz you didnt get caught this time... if i were you tho i wouldnt try that again... count your self lucky.. and move on and stop worrying about it... i did that once and i was so nervous too... the doctor gave me a script signed and mostly filled out the pharmacy wouldnt take it cuz the millagrams werent on it so i looked at the replacement script he gave me and put the mg on the "bad" script myself and a few weeks later i filled it... it wasnt worth all the nerves so ill never do that again... and you prob wont either.. good luck.. :)
nuredshuz,  I understand about the flagging, I am worried they will send the slip back to the dr and the nurse will know its not her handwriting.  Also when I was there she wrote me a script for 30 and on this one I put 60.  She has wrote them for me for 60 one time(the dr herself, I picked it up and didnt see her)
One other thing, will they come and arrest me and take me to jail on the spot?  And who will come for me?
If they notify the office everytime they give out percs, then why did they fill the script?
This ***** so bad
I live in the province of Alberta in Canada. I don't know of any other Province in Canada or any states in the U.S. that has the same process for Schedule II Narcotic presciptions as we do here. It is a triplicate system, in other words the Doctor writes the prescription on a special pad (officially numbered prescriptions and different from any other prescriptions). He keeps one copy and gives me two. I take it to the Pharmacy and sign both copies, one stays with the Pharmacy, the other is mailed to the University of Alberta where a team of people watch for any signs of abuse or fraud. On top of this the insurance company ensures that Narcotic presciptions are not filled too early, if so, they are in contact with the Doctor's office right away. Even with all of this I've still managed to abuse both the drugs as well as the system.....go figure.
they dont sent them back to the doctor... that would take hours of man time at the pharmacys there is no way they can pay someone to do that... its not logical at all... there are hundreds of doctors writing scripts to 100s of patients who go to 100s of pharmacies, if they were to send all of those back to the doctors it would take hours of some1s time... if you have any friends who work at a doctors office, just ask them...  if i were you i would not worry it any more... just count yourself lucky and dont do it any more..
I understand that would take alot of time, but I was thinking maybe they only give back controlled substance slips.
It is only controlled substances, from percocet on up. They dont have someone hand deliver them or mail them, it is an automated system.

Come on guys........
So what does the automated system do, email the dr, send them a fax of names, or copies of the slips?  I dated the script from March 10, but filled it April 5.
I wish I knew a nurse I could ask!
One more thing sorry, its not the dr I'm worried about, I doubt she would think twice about it, its the nosey nurse that concerns me.  Plus my OB dr works in an office with 9 other OB's and they each take turns working at hospitals discharging the whole offices patients.  when I delivered in Jan another dr from the office wrote me a script for percs, so see my OB writes scripts for patients that aren't even hers
Geez I keep remembering more after I post, sorry.  My family dr has also prescribed me percs before, I went on April 12 for my sons checkup and the nurse practioner pulled my chart to give me some more antideppesssants because I have postpardum depression.  Would there have been a note or something in my file  saying I was in trouble and not to give me meds.
They sure do send a copy to the doctor in my state and every time you get a narcotic or a controlled substance it is also recorded in a data base they are cracking down on prescription abuse I don't know how anyone can say one way or the other what the outcome will be  ...she needs to concentrate on getting recovery care .
I understand I need recovery, but I am so afraid of what my husband will do when he finds out.  I'm so scared I would never do this again.  So if I would never do this again, why do I need recovery
A lot of states have what is called a controlled substances reporting system or something similiar in which pharmacies are linked in to and it automatically takes controlled substance prescription information. Any doctor, nurse practitioner and the like who have a DEA number to prescribe can sign up to access this database. A growing number are signed up and periodically obtain reports which is part of the reason people don't get caught right away. Often they don't get caught until their doctor obtains their next report and something doesn't look right to them.

I hope this helps you out. I also wish i was wrong and hope i am. I do not want this for anyone. I know what addiction is like. I haven't ever done anything like this but this is one great reason i reached out for help. I have know of people this has happened to and it was aweful for them.

And i do not think it's a good idea to pick up that prescription and keep going with active addiction after this scare. You need to get help. You can get help. Please think of yourself and your children. Reach out. We are here to help when you are ready.

Jacky

ok these states have precription databases

As of January 2010, 34 states have operational PDMPs that have the capacity to receive and distribute controlled substance prescription information to authorized users. States with operational programs include:

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
hun you can get help privately ..I am concerned that you were willing to break, the law to get drugs ..i really think you need a program
I already picked up the prescription, its gone!  So can my drs nurse go into this system?  Or is it for drs only?
I cant believe you had to ask that last question, "why do i need recovery". Think about that. If i had asked you last month if this was somethng you would ever do, what would you have told me?

The reasons are simple and quite clear. If you don't get caught, there is a good chance that if you did it once, you may do it again. And you WILL get caught. And even if you never do it again, don't your children deserve better? YOU deserve better too. Please think about this.

Jacky
So how long does it usually take for an investigation to be complete?
I dont know how and when they are notified .did you have two scripts going at the same time at any point are was there a lapse in time
its very confusing it sounds like the doctor has the choice to participate or not but I am not 100% its some what hard to understand

and clean is right you need a recovery program
In your fourth post you wrote that this was your rock bottom and that you were supposed to be a wonderful wife, mother and christian lady. Apparently those things only mattered to you while you needed reassurance that you wouldn't get caught after commiting a felony crime. And then you went a picked up another script! Where did your rock bottom go??

Please rethink this.

Anyways, i can only pray that you will get some help for yourself. This is a problem. And we are here when you decide you are ready............

God Bless....

Jacky
I only picked up one script, the one that was forged April 5.  Where do I go for help?
I would get a hold of a substance abuse counselor. They will be a great deal of help to you in sorting things out. Meeting, aa/na, are great too. There you can get support and comfort from fellow addicts and work the 12 steps of recovery. If you need help in finding any of these you may want to contact your local hospital. They can usually refer you.

Also, check the Health Pages here. Top right of this page. Good suggestion on supplements you can take to help with withdrawal and getting your health back.

We are here for support too and any questions you have about anything. There are some very knowledgeable people here who are always willing to help.

Best of luck........

Jacky
I'm so scared, I can barely function.  I can't stand the not knowing.  I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown.  I dont want to go to jail, or lose my kids, or my husband.
Use this as motivation to get some help. Talk with your husband. Often times when we are honest with those we love, they are far more understanding and supportive than we expected.

You will not lose your kids and if you have no priors on your record, then you probably would not go to jail. Maybe probation, some fines, rehab. That's if anything even happens with it.

There is no better time to start on your road to recovery. I know you are scared, but take advantage of it. There is a silver lining to everything, as my dad always says....

Jacky
breath ......find a therapist that has knowledge about addiction . Whats done is done the longer you go without hearing something the better stay focused on the future it good you did not have two scripts going at the same time they look for that alot more its called doctor shopping
But my family dr gave me perc too!  I don't know how to sit down and tell my husband!  Thank you for all your help.  I live in a small town so I dont know if there is any addiction counselors around.
ohhh at the same time did you have them at two different pharmacies? .. just look for a therapist if hubby asks for now until you are ready tell him your depressed most therapists have a good knowledge in addiction
My family dr gave me perc on March 4 and then my fake prescription was dated March 10, but I didn't fill it till April 5 and she gave me some on March 22.
ok so you had a script on the forth  for how many then then one on the 22 how much was that one four then you use the forged scripted on the 5th all at the same pharmacy
on 4th 60 by family dr, 22nd 30 from ob 5th 60.  the first and second script same pharmacy forged one different
I cant take much more, my head feels like its gonna explode, maybe i should just go fess up to the local pd
NO do not do that !!!!!!!! Just work on recovery care ...As long as nothing was overlapping there is a better chance it wont be noticed stay on the straight and narrow and get some help..
Nooooo, dont do that!! If anything happens, get a lawyer and do not speak or make statements without your lawyer.

If you are this nervous you could also call and speak to an attorney about it. You will remain anonymous.

I really think you should focus this energy on getting some recovery care though. Like avis said, the longer you go without hearing anything, the better.

Jacky
thank you all!
Okay...you are getting scripts from TWO doctors. That's a red flag.
All pharmacies are automated and can see your history.
It could be up to a year before the Feds come to your house with a warrant(if this is caught).
There are many variables here...will the pharmacy call the doctor or the Feds?  Will insurance or medicaid pick it up?  Probably but who knows?
This is what I think you should do :
Don't call for any more Percocet AT ALL...
Be proactive;and by that I mean tell your husband. Call your OB and tell them what you did,that you're an addict and want help.  And mean it!
(No one should be blindsided by this)
Stop taking them...this should be a wake up call;learn from it.
You're on a bad road;stop now!
Withdrawals are not easy but doable. We will support you.
In my opinion,being up front may work in your favor...if you don't stop this the penalties
are grim. Also,by being forthcoming,perhaps it will impress the Dr./pharmacy to not turn you in. But,it's not only up to them. The DEA monitors prescriptions.
Again,stop taking Percocet now. Have I said this enough?
By the way...I'm a nurse...
Good luck~
Vicki
Get help with your addiction. NA/AA is free. Start going.
You are very welcome!

Now get a hold of your local hospital and get some information on local meetings and counselors. They should be able to help. Do this first thing tomorrow.

Keep posting and let us know how everything goes. We are here for you, it will be okay.

Jacky
Honestly, I didn't know it was a crime to get meds from 2 drs, call me stupid or whatever but its the truth.  I had never heard of dr shopping until now
My opinion is to NOT tell your OB or any other doctor .....The only people I would tell is  an addiction dr or a  lawyer .
Okay...I accept that.  But you knew it was wrong to forge an rx...Although I do understand it.     I gave you my thoughts and my opinion.  I'm just one person.  Filter all this advice and decide.  Only you can do it...

About the police...I'd keep them out of this...

But,after my post you can only speak to the doctor shopping?

Get yourself some help...FAST.  I mean this in the most caring way possible.
Vicki
Its not always doctor shopping ..Its when you have the same scripts for the same med from different doctors at the same time that's what raises a red flag
Avis~  Just curious...why not?
V.
I urge you to consider everything Vicki said to you in her post. She helps a lot of people here and is a nurse. You said you wished you could speak to a nurse. There you have it. Forget about taking anymore percocet. It will only work against you.

Get into recovery right away. This is the best thing you can do to help yourself at this point. We have all said it.

Jacky
OK this is the def of dr shopping i always want to make sure we are giving the right info so i figured it would be best to look it up

Doctor shopping refers to the practice of a patient requesting care from multiple physicians, often simultaneously, without making efforts to coordinate care or informing the physicians of the multiple caregivers. This usually stems from a patient's addiction to, or reliance on, certain prescription drugs or other medical treatment. Usually a patient will be treated by their regular physician and be prescribed a drug that is necessary for the legitimate treatment of their current medical condition. Some patients will then actively seek out other physicians to obtain more of the same medication, often by faking or exaggerating the extent of their true condition, in order to feed their addiction to that drug.

Not all patients seeking inappropriate multiple prescriptions of drugs are doing so because of addiction or an intention to abuse the drugs for their recreational effects. In the United States, increasing scrutiny of prescribing practices and high-profile prosecutions of doctors[1] for allegedly over-prescribing drugs such as opiate painkillers and benzodiazepine tranquilizers has made many doctors extremely reluctant to prescribe large doses or repeat prescriptions of these drugs, even to patients with a legitimate medical need. Some consider the high-profile case of Richard Paey an example of such.

Contents [hide]
1 Commonly abused prescription drugs
2 Legal issues
3 References
4 External links

Avis~  Okay~ but I think she fits the MO of doctor shopping. The rx's may not have been simultaneous,but they were close.  Anyway, point taken.

But,I'm still curious because I appreciate your thoughts :  Why don't you want her to come clean with the OB whom she forged an rx from?

V.
I have read all of the comments and all i have to say is this.....NONE of us know what will happen if anything.  All we do know is we have a lady here who needs our help in getting and staying off the pills no matter what has happened with the scripts.  She needs us to walk her thru to the road to recovery......We can question each ones comments here but the bottom line is this lady needs us and it is up to each one of us to be supportive to her.     sara
Sara~  Agreed.   I was only interested in Avis' reasoning...it certainly was not a challenge.  We all learn here~
The thing is,this gal asked specifically about the fraud and not for help or support. So.we
tried to answer the question...Personally,I wanted to drive home the point that she should get clean. Fast.   That way,this won't happen again.
Okay then...I've got the message.  
Vicki  xo
She's crying out for help in her own way.  We always hope we can help the ones who come thru this forum just as we have been helped....sara
I think we've tried to help. With all these posts,the common thread was: stop,get help,it's doable,we're here etc...
What else can we do? (Rhetorical)

V. xo
I do need help, I guess I have what some would say is an addictive personality.  My Dr. each know that I see the other one-they even used to work together.  They both know I have headaches and migraines(I was seeing the OB cuz I was pregnant, I delivered in Jan when this whole thing got out of control!)  They both also knew I had sciatic back pain.  The first time I seen my family dr, just started going to her in Jan, I told her my OB gave me percs and she said ok, after that my ob knew I was working with my family dr about my headaches and migraines, but neither asked about any prescriptions and I never told them.  Trust me I am staying clean, I am so scared, I would never put myself thru this agin, you can say sure you won't, but its the truth, I can't stand living in this fear, I feel like I'm always looking over my shoulder.  Everytime the doorbell rings, I wonder if its them!  I just cant believe I haven't been flagged by now this was going on since Jan.  I want to crawl under a rock and stay there till this is over.  The hardest of all is telling my husband.  I do want help.  I knew I wanted to get off this stuff, but withdrawing was always too hard, so with the forged script I took them like I normally would and then when I was getting low I started tapering and started wellbutrin to ease the cravings.  I wanted to be done after that and I plan on it but the realization of what i had done just hit me 3 days ago, when I was sober and not feeling like I was withdrawing.  I know what I did was wrong with the script but I didnt with the drs.
Hey Sweetie~  I hear you and I believe you.   We've all (I think) done things we're not proud of when using.   But that was then and this is now.
Try not to worry...concentrate on staying clean.  We can help you...This is such a comforting,safe,and supportive forum.  Just keep posting and hope for the best!
We'll be here for you...Think of questions and just ask!
I have to be off now...talk to you later.
Vicki
Hey, well I used to work for my neruologist. In my state (Louisiana) if you are on a controlled substance every few months they send it a drug profile to the doctor. Even if the doctor doesn't keep good notes the pharmacy does. If you tried to get it filled even though your other rx didn't run out, you could be red flagged by the phamacy. I did this only I called my rx in about 9 times in a year, my mistake is overlapping them and caused a drug interaction. The pharmacy is the one who contacted the police. I stopped doing it and about a year later they caught me. They came to my house told me they knew what I did and since I picked up at walgreens the had me on video. They did not arrest me but I had to turn myself in. Then long story after that. you can read some of my other post to find out the rest. But I think in your position, it was just one time and even if the pharmacy thinks it was too much, they could possibly think it was the nurses fault. I would chill out and relax (i know easier said than done) Also I dont' think the nurse would be trying to trick you.  She is the one who is responsible for the signed rx so that would be out of the question.  You can PM me if you want more info
Ouch!  the crazy stuff those pills can make us do!  May be time to consider letting go??
we r all different..thing is..u have done the dirty..u filled it...and beating urself up now is not gonna do any good...cept to see how far these pills can make us go!
It may be a good idea to let ur dr know if u do not feel u can stop this madness on ur own....
I agree with avis...but I am a gambler...each day that goes by is a day i got by with it....alot also depends on ur relationship with this dr.....if u wanna stop and he would be understanding..then it is different...lots of variables and we r all different
I see you do feel remorse and are worrying ur rear end off....this is another variable..sometimes by ending this...u may feel better...again..I would gamble tho if i thought my dr would have me arrested...if i wanted to stop and i thought he would understand and help me..i would tell him....only u know these things
I would think there is always a chance u may get caught...doing stuff like this is pure addictive behavior and calls for help...when an addict starts doing stuff that could land them in jail ..it is time to take a look within....may not like what we see...but time for a change
ur worry needs to be about u and where u r going if u do not stop the madness....i would say ur chance of getting caught at this point are slim....ur chances of getting caught next time grow worse..this stuff does not go away..only gets worse
Cubbiegirl, i want to start out saying that I have been following this post on my cell phone as withdrawal has been so bad for me that I cannot get up off the couch until today.  Day four. I feel awful for you.  You just couldn't help yourself.  A lot of readers may think I'm a nutjob, but I have to tell you that I'm an empath, which basically means I pick up on different situations I run accross and I get a reading on what is going on.  I have found that I can't choose who, when, where, or what, but I have feelings and I see situations pretty accurately. With that being disclosed (take it with a grain of salt if you want.. ) I have to get out what my intuition is telling me.
I just type and it comes to me.  You are an addict. It's okay.  There are LOTS of addicts who forge LOTS of prescriptions every single day.  In my minds eye I see a woman looking at the script to fill it, a little hesitation for some reason, she doesn't know why, but something seems  off.  She shrugs it off, fills it and doesn't think about it again.  
It was a blip on her radar.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It takes a few instances (in most cases) to prove forgery.  The reason it takes awhile for some people to get caught is because law enforcement waits and makes sure this person is a repeat offender and they have ample evidence to convict.  There's still a small chance you will get caught, but if this is going to be your last bout with the percs then there should be no reason that your OB would pull you up on the registry.  She wouldn't need to, right? Also, if the OB did suspect that you forged it.. SHE would be held partially liable for pre-signing the prescriptions.  Though this is "technically" legal, this is frowned upon and I feel as if your OB has had second thoughts in regards to this system of handing out her prescriptions.  So I think she would be very very hesitant to report anything.
You, are not doctor shopping, I know exactly what is going on with that situation.  There are many doctors (possibly FNPs, Nurse practitioners..) that are part of the practice.  Sometimes you will call for YOUR doctor, but she cannot be there to sign off on the script, so another member of HER staff will do so.  Is this correct?
It will show up as different on the online report, appear as though you are doctor shopping, but these docs are all in the same practice.  
OK, In my gut I feel 85% sure you are not going to get found out.  But there are some realities you are going to have to face.  I don't know you, but this is what i can feel.
#1. You shouldn't have picked that script up.
#2. FLUSH IT DOWN THE TOILET AND WAVE GOODBYE
#3 You are an addict or you wouldn't be forging the scripts.

Remember your kids? Your husband? They haven't gotten the real you, the sober you, in so long.  They deserve this. They need the real you, all the time.  It's a sobering thought, I know.  What if the real you isn't a good mother? What if the real you finds faults in your mate that otherwise you wouldn't have noticed?
Either way, you have to take that chance and make the commitment to stay away from the poison that drives you to jeopardize your family.  By forging that script, you said..
"I AM MOST IMPORTANT, everyone else is second.  I cannot feel the pain right now, I need this and it doesn't matter whose life it might screw up. I have to have it."

Where to go from here.  Make the matter up in your mind.  Just do it. Grow some balls. You're a woman for God's sake!! We push babies out!! You can do this.
There are plently of places to get support.  Not just outpatient hospital programs, NA meetings are held at churches, community centers... you name it.
As on how to detox... Google the Thomas Recipe.  It's helped me, I'm on day 4.

I took 3, 4 maybe 5 Lortab/7.5 every day for 10 months.  Two years ago I had to detox off of Fentanyl.  I had NO clue it was stronger than morphine.  None whatsoever.
The truth of the matter is, I have a legitimate disease.  I have been sick for three years with no answers. I've seen 17 doctors in my city.. and not for pills. For answers as to why a girl in her mid twenties can't get out of bed every morning b/c of the pain.  My face broke out in shingles, I lost all feeling in my face, seeing double, no balance, lesions on my brain, couldn't walk some days.  I haven't worked since January and I lost the career that I loved, that I worked SO HARD to get to.  Pills were what kept me going to that job, they kept me going.  I could walk again, excluding multiple flights of stairs. :)
But doctors treat me like a criminal for wanting to refill my 90 pills per month.  They want to drug test me, they want to make me feel like a druggie.  And to be honest, they've drilled it so far into my head that I honestly think I am a druggie.  So i know how you feel.  Relying on the pick me up. .  
I finally contacted Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  I had no money.  No way to get there, but I knew I had to.  My dad paid for it.  I'm not sure how he did that, but God bless him.  Now I know what disease I'm battling.  My blood tests showed the pain scale... and showed I was having the same amount of pain as someone coming out of surgery.
Still, I get back home to get my medicine and my doctor treats me like a felon.

THAT is why I want to get off this sh!t.  I'm tired of feeling like a bad person. Like a junkie.  Aren't you??
My mistake, you got a script from a family doc? I saw another doc, but figured it was from the same practice as your OB.  Ok.  Ignore the terminology...doctor shopping.  Woohoo.  It's something that doctor's, nurses, and pharmacists say.  People do it.  Everyone needs to stop analyzing that term to see if you fit in that catagory.  You fit in the the addicted catagory and you need help.  You know that.  When you are alone, and you close your eyes.. you know your heart.  Google the Thomas Recipe.  Don't even think about turning yourself in.  That would be absolutely positively the worst idea EVER.  If you were to get caught just remember..  Nothing says "I've turned my life around," like clean urine.
Detox asap. (((Hugs))) and much love.  You're human. Don't beat yourself up. We do stupid things.  You are going to learn from this.
crafty so true about the clean UA

also hun plz make sure you get recoverycare I cant stress this enough
Thank you all for your support!  I told my mom and husband last night.  Telling my husband was the hardest.  I havent had any pills since the weekend.  I'm looking for a counselor today.  My husband is mad at me because he wants to call my family dr and my OB but I dont want him to.  He thinks I will go straight back to the pills, I can tell you this has scared me straight(believe me or not) and I'm not gonna go get more pills and have it show up on my record after I'm giving myself to counseling, wouldnt that be dumb.  My mom is being very supportive, but I dont feel it from my husband, and i need him the most.  I dont have alot of time right now, but i'll be back later.  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH
Your husband will come around but right now he is upset and has every right to be.  It is a shock to their system too.  Your actions will speak louder than words.  Show him this site and let him read up on addiction and how it affects the whole family.......sara
Sara is right your hubby will come around .hubby might want to contact a lawyer and talk to them before he calls your doctors . Find conceling today keep your chin up come back when you can.
Telling your husband and mother took some major balls.  That must have been really hard.  Good for you.  That's a giant first step.  Right now things probably seem pretty bad but you've done the right thing and things will get better now that you're headed in the right direction.  Your husband will have a hard time understanding because he's not the one who's addicted.  It's very hard for others to understand the mental aspects of addiction and the fact that addiction leads us to do things we'd never otherwise do.

You're doing the right things now and things will be better for it.  People here understand because we've all gone through it or are going through it.  Many of us have done things far worse than writing a fake prescription.  
Hi again, look listen to the people on here, the definitly know what they are talking about, they are the ones who got me through all  my stresses and panic feelings of going to court and trial. I think what helped in my situation was the fact when they did catch me I had already looked for help and became clean. Question: Did  you know how to write out the script, like using the medical terms? Just wondering cause if it written right they probley will just over look it. Well I wish the best for you, I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have been through these past few months. take care
I'm looking for an addiction counselor right now.  I copied the way the nurse had wrote the script before.  I remember it had terms like PRN, T q 4-6, and spelled sixty and wrote it numeric.  Anyways I can't thank you all enough for taking time to help me.  My mom said maybe this happened because someday I maybe able to help someone.  I just feel so embarrassed and ashamed.  I have never broken the law and would have never thought twice.  I'm ashamed of the person I have become.  But I do feel a huge sense of relief since I have told my husband and mom.  And my husband called and is being much more supportive and telling me he's gonna help me and that he loves me.  I do have one questoin and its something I probably shouldn't even be thinking about but, what do I do now when I get a migraine, they are horrible and can last 2-3 days, and I can't afford to go to the ER everytime I get one, and even if my dr doesn't know any of this, I cant ask for another script(in which I told my husband I would give the bottle to him and he would only be able to give me them if I really needed them) if I ask for more it'll show on my report.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to suffer with them.  It's hard to do when you have a family.  Thanks again for all who have helped.  You are all so kind and you dont even know me.  Well I'm off to surf the net to find a counselor.  It's just hard because there are so many listed, so I'm not sure how to choose one, do I just need a counselor or do I need a psychiatrist?  I'm not sure what all the abbreviations after their name mean.  
There are tons of specific migraine medications out there. You do not have to use an opiate based medication. Ask your doctor about them. Have you ever tried anything like Imitrex?

You do not need a psychiatrist, just a counselor. If you are having a hard time finding one you could call your local hospital like i said before. When i started my recovery that is what i did and they were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Often times hospitals have social workers that have all this info.

You will do fine so long as you stay away from the narcotic meds and commit yourself to recovery. It sounds like you have some support. You actions at this point will speak a lot louder than your words. Follow through.

Jacky
I have been trying all sorts of different headache and migraine meds, I've tried Imitrex, Inderal, and currently trying topamax.  Sometimes the Imitrex works and sometimes it don't so whatta do, but if you've never had one, it hurts and you want to do nothing and hear nothing, you just want to turn off all the lights and sleep, which is not an option for a mother of a 9 yo, 7 yo, and 3 month twin babies.
honestly opiates are not very effective for migraines there are a whole realm  of meds these days that can help .So I think they will be able to find something that works probably more effectively then the opiates .
I am gald he has been more supportive...
In my case I saw a psychiatrist, which turned out good for me cause I was diagnois with bipolor. So that kinda helped me in court. But who you see if basically how you feel.  In my case they were trying to find the route of my problem. But that is just me. I never really saw a counselor so I really don't know what and how they help. maybe other people can give you some advice
I am a mother of three young children. 8, 4 and 14 months. I have had migraines. But, there came a point when healing from this disease of addiction became more important than fixing any of the physical pains i was feeling.

Migraines are very aweful, i know. But, when you really come to the point i did you will do whatever you have to do to live a sober life for yourself and your children. That may mean not always having the best pain releif for whatever pain you may have at any given time. It means a willingness to use whatever medications are available to you that will not interfere with your sobriety. They may give a bit less pain releif but are better than nothing. And i am sure there are options out there that you and your doctor can explore that you haven't yet tried.

I truly hope things can work out in your favor and that you are able to get into recovery with minimal suffering. We are here for you....

Jacky
Some of what you just described happened to me. When my mother was dying they put her on morphine and some other medicines. The practitioner kept sending me to some country pharmacy that I really didn't want to go to but said they had a relationship and it would be no problems. Well my instinct about this place was dead on. They screwed up the order the first time (no morphine just some kind of water pill) , but I caught it when I got back in my car. They fixed it but it sure took their sweet time doing it and didn't care one bit that they screwed up. But the part related to your story was a few days later when they sent me again to get the morphine . This time the doc's office had faxed over the prescription so there would be no waiting or hassle as my mother was almost out and needed refilled asap. The practitioner even phoned them later to make sure they got it ok and told me to get it and there would be no more problems. Well there was and they would not tell me what was wrong but just kept me waiting. After I waited slightly over  2 hours they finally filled it. Even with all the above they thought I was up to something-they didn't come out and say it but alluded to it and it took them that long to get the md on the phone. They tried to blame it on the md of course and  I was told later the md let them have it for playing doctor. They handed me the stuff and all they said was "We are sorry" to which I replied, "I know" .
My mother finally got her meds but died a few hours later. I will never forget this sorry place and they way they made my mother wait while she was dying.

My point is if you are going to have trouble, it will most likely be from one of these doctor playing pharmacies. Even if it's legit ,they don't care and will make you wait while they try to phone it in. I have never had any of these kind of issues with large legit pharmacies like Walgreens fwiw.

And if the OP is still around- Just remember you got lucky once. Don't push your luck again! I will say you have more guts than me- I would have been way too scared to try what you did. Temporary artificial happiness is not worth the risk you are putting yourself in.  Stop while you still can! good luck!!!
Its a felony to have a script pad if you are not a prescriber, Its a felony for the Dr. to presign his scripts, Its a felony for the Nurse Practitioner to hand it off to you.   Yes these scripts are scaned and can be looked at, at later dates especially if the Pharm Board or DEA launch an investigation or already are in an investigation.
Sometimes it can take up to 5 yrs to complete an investigation, it can be happening and you do not even know it, My friends boyfriend stole a script pad from his PCP office and 2 yrs later the Marshalls were knocking on his door. Ohio is very strict with their laws.
Wow this is old. I wonder what happened to her.
I have been seeing my doctor for 6 yrs now and she had mentioned before she needed to get rid of some if not all of her repetitive clients due to she is now a urgent care office not pain management like I am on. She continued to see me. But I had a Roommate who did illigal drugs well they came in my house found these drugs and I wld not tell the officer his name so of coarse im being Charged not Convicted yet. I am taking my Roommate to court in the new few months so these charges wil be dropped. But this nurse practionar has moved 4 times and I followed her ea time we got along wonderfully.  But this info came across her desk and instead of asking me or talking to me she sent me a dismissal letter and prior to all this she would write scripts from her home because she was between offices and DRs which im sure is not legal.and I seen several times that she was high on her meds because her would go back n forth uncontrollablely I know this is from to much medicine. Im also a state certified drug counselor. But she never tested me or anything like that. I took less than prescribed only when needed the nurse pract. Stated it was cus I missed two appointments which I didnt then the clerk said it was for the charges and now I find a doctor but as soon as they get her notes they said no sry. Does anyone know if my nurse pract is supposed to keep my meds filled until I get a DR at least for the the first month after they kicked me out. 30 days. They are telling me to go to the ER. My family has heart issues and im getting illigal drugs from the st now because if run out I will detox and withdrawl (withdrawal) and I live alone im 41 and my sister died at 36 from a mastive heart attack.  Please give me any info on what to do this is making me crazy. ***@****
You never said what you are on.  Start a new thread, on top of this page, orange 'post a question' button.

You can go to an ER for immediate attention, or a specialist for a cure.
You have a family health history.
You have a roommate on drugs.
You buy drugs off the street.
You basically have Dr shopped to keep a sorce.
You have been dismissed by a medical professional.

Look in the mirror.  I (we) will try to continue communication with you, IMO you should seek a psychiatrist instead of therapist so if a script is needed, they will be able to give one.
Sounds to me like your source gave up on you when it could come back and bite her in the behind too. (Nurse Practioner)  Doesn't matter if she is using too much or not.  This is about you.   If your roommate was using illegal drugs, why wouldn't you give them their name?   And now you are suing your roommate because it has put a red flag on your medical record.  So it was ok for them to use illegally as long as it didn't effect you?  Hard lesson to learn, but addicts are in it for themselves. (Roommate and NP)  And to answer your question, no, they do not have to keep in supplied if they cut you off.  
I am bottom of the totem pole here, that was my own personal opinion.  I think a psych, would be a great place to start, it looked to me as if you should talk to a professional about all the turmoil you've been through.
It's an old post, BUT:
I1) In the "health profession",
2) Faked Rxs,
3) I guess I'm addicted (although due have chronic pain and damaged discs due to a car accident!, not that what I did makes it ok!)

Laws vary state to state, but forging a prescription (ie. Rx) is a felony (you're breaking the federal law) and as far as I'm aware sort of up to the Dr to press charges, UNLESS the pharmacy called the cops...which they WOULD NOT DO, unless a Dr said he/she did not write the script!  Which basically puts the responsibility on the Dr to get someone in trouble or not!

IF a pharmacist/pharmacy suspects a fake script they will either:
1) tell you it's out of stock to "get rid of you."
2) call the Dr, fax over a copy and ask if they wrote it!

The state i'm in has "triplicates" for controlled substances, BUT like others have pointed out, nothing happens with them, they are sent to the state  "capital" somewhere, entered in to a computer somewhere? and the paper Rx is probably burned.

MOST of the time, from what my sister and other Drs have told me, the people who tend to get in trouble/cough are the ones who go "dr shopping."

My sis told me of a story where she got a letter saying how a patient of hers was seeing 9, NINE different Drs fir the same script (percocet).  BUT, the issue was, she was filling it with medicaid!  I think she was getting away with it for a while (years?) before the "feds" finally caught on!

Hd she paid in cash, there would have been minimal or NO record and she would have gotten away with it.

If anything, the insurance/medicaid/medicare probably look closed than the gov because they want to cut costs!  a person filling too many prescriptions (of anything, valid or not) would prob raise a red flag!

HALF OF MY FAMILY are DRs and I'm in my last year of med-school, where do you think I get the blank scripts from?

I was "caught" once.  The Rx was actually written out for a friend and we were going to split it.  We would switch off whos name was on the Rx and switch off pharmacies.  Did it too many times, I had a gut feeling that I would get caught that time!  Something felt strange...new pharmacy, I was there, but my friend was NOT in the "computer" system there.

Basically, the pharmacist suspected it was fake/forged, called my father (the Dr on the Rx pad) told him we're still there "what does he want him to do? should he call the cops?"...asked him if he wrote it & faxed over a copy for him to look at.  My father, realizing it was my handwriting but written to my friend, said: "he didn't remember, it, "its been a busy day, why don't you rip it up, I'm too busy today to deal with %^&*m like this today!"

Pharmacist: "Good, I'm busy as well and really don't want to nor have the time to deal with %^&* like this of deal with the cops or the paperwork involved."

My father called me while I was in the store asking me if I wrote a Rx for "XXXXXXX" I said no,  RAN out of there (with my friend) and drove, what felt like 1000mph home, ripping up EVERY blank Rx I had in the process.

That cured me of writing fakes for a while, I started going to a Dr and getting proper (ie. "real" prescriptions.

That said, it's been a while since I've been to the/a Dr (I have an appointment after the new year) but due to a back injury I still fake prescriptions for Percocet and paranoid/afraid what might happen tomorrow.

Maybe I'd be considered addicted, but I do have several "messed up" discs in my back, which press of the nerve roots (neuropathy).

It's Christmas, so I know my father is not in the office (so couldn't call him, but it's possible the faxed a copy of the Rx over). Then again, didn't hear the fax machine "go off" and make it's typical dialing noise when I was there, waiting

Then again, if they suspected a fake, I don't think they would have filled it!

Also, I had to go to a different CVS location, because the one they know me at was closed, but they still had access to my records (been given & forging the same script for over two years!!).  ANd always go to CVS.

I was VERY calm and relaxed and joked with the guy at the counter and pharmacist, wished the a happy holiday, new year and good evening. I was dressed well too and "clean."

As I said earlier, if it's a typical day, they would notify your Dr or if they suspect something & can't speak to him/her & ask if they wrote it, THEY JUST WON'T FILL IT, tell you they're out (so you just leave).

They WILL NOT call the cops without checking with the Dr 1st, because what if the Dr wrote it?

I'm paranoid because, is there a fax of the script, sitting on a pile waiting for my father to see?  Then again, if they suspected anything, they wouldn't have filled it!

I live in a state where you can check the computer to see if I'm using multiple Drs, etc (I'm not).

I'm probably OK, just paranoid.  In 99.999% of cases, if its not taken care of immediately (they call you're Dr & then the cops), "you're in the clear!"

Which is why I always filled my Rx Friday afternoon/early eve (like 5pm on Fri).  I knew they wouldnt be able to get a hold of my father, unless it's an emergency, until Mon.  But I guess maybe I was giving myself false confidence, as they could have filled it but sent a fax over to father, waiting for him to see it on Mon?

Lastly, when I read the STATE GUIDELINES for pharmacists, it says, if you suspect a forgery, DON'T FILL IT.

IF THEY DON'T CALL YOUR DR &/OR POLICE AT THE TIME YOU'RE FILLING THE Rx, THEN I SAY, IN MY EXPERIENCE, YOU"RE FINE.

I HOPE THE Dr I SEE IN JAN GIVES ME "VALID" RXs & a FAX OF MY FORGERY IS NOT WAITING FOR MY FATHER TOMORROW.

At the end of the week, the Pharmacist sends all the prescriptions to the state, where it probably sits in a "banker box" for ages until they just burn/shred them.

I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow, I PRAY I'LL BE FINE & IN THE CLEAR.

My goodness, FocusST, please go back and reread this post.  You are all over the place.  I don't think your problem is whether or not your father is going to see that fake prescription.  Please get help.  This is a MESS.
You're right, this is a very old post....you'll have much better luck starting your own thread.

That being said...you're risking an AWFUL lot doing what you're doing.  If you continue down this path, you're going to lose your medical license before you even GET it.  Certainly that isn't worth all of that hard work?  Please, get yourself some help!!

Good luck to you!
I NEED HELP ADVICE
I NEED HELP ADVICE
Hi Barbara
  This is a very old thread. I will tell you how to make a new thread and get your question noticed.   Go to the top of this page and hit the orange "post a question" button. (top middle rightish ) .Then you will have your own dedicated thread and many (including Vicki595-she is still here) will come on and answer and support you in whatever it is you are trying to find out.
Hope this Helps. I will also send this to your message box in case you don't see it here.