Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
question about Phenergan?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

question about Phenergan?

I've heard about it out here.  To anyone who has used it......does it really work for nausea.....how well?  Does anyone know about the OTC nausea meds.  asked the pharmacist she says she doesn't know how well it works.......any info would be great.

Nauty................
Heck yes it works like a miracle!!!!
When I have a migraine and I am vomiting, that is what the Doctor gave me for nausea, and it really stops the nausea and vomitting......
Phenergan is an old drug and works very well for nausea and also for sleep...does have a hangover effect...so dont take too much til u know it well if you work...25 mg is a standard dose...I have some from a while back but have not taken it as have not had nausea....I know people who take like 1/2 of that for anxiety
Oh, crapola.......so is it addictive?  sedative properties........I think I'll try the OTC first.

Thanks......guys
no its not addicting ,but it will make you sleepy . it works well that what they were giving me in the hospital to help with the nausea.....
Yep Phenergan is used for nausea, however, I had surgery and they gave me Phenergan, and I had some weird reaction to it and instead of relaxing me , and the nausea thing, I went into instant jumpy and telling the doc,(during surgery no less ), I had to peeeeeee,kinda funny, but not so for the doc trying to finish up the surgery. They told me" OPPS I guess you are one of those that shouldn't be taking this kind of drug, you had a weird reaction,some people do " DUH YA THINK???  ha!
yes,  i use it.  i get miagraines and it stops the nausea and puts me to sleep.   hope it works for you.
cathy
It is not addictive, and yes it does have a sleepy effect.
I did not mean to say it was addicting...it does relax people and aid with sleep....some people do have odd effects with drugs but it is commonly used...if you try it just dont take but 1/2 pill the first time to be sure...not  known to be addictive but anything can be abused...does make most people sleepy
I cant have anything that makes me drowsy......thats the only problem, because my nausea is in the morning when I take my vitamins and meds......non-narcotic meds, of course........doc just says.......eat crackers or whatever.  Does not work.  guess Im screw ed  if the OTC doesn't work.

Thanks Everyone

nauty..............
Wow...first off ..what an undereducated pharmacist....second off....if your nausea is THAT bad i would recommend it.....but for every day mild discomforts i like Nauzene otc...it works like a charm for me....reglan works well as well...i know that phenergan is being used less and less for opiate nausea becuase of the receptors...give nauzene a try if you like!!
she said the only OTC was something called emitrol  if that the same......probably.  My nausea is not really bad, just uncomfortable and annoying. thanks.  I'll try the Nauzene a try.......

Nauty............

Nauty............
pepto bismol helps me in the mroning
Phenergan = Promethazine by the way.  Anyway, I was gonna type a great o-t-c med for this, and saw that NautyOne did already.  I'll ditto th Emetrol.  It takes like cra*, but it does the trick.  
Thanks ......I'll try it tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Luv,
nauty...............
It saved many a toss n' puke clean up from ever having gotten started...hope it works for you too!

Jacqui
If it's any consolation, Phenergran never made me sleepy.
If you have rockin' good insurance, like I used to, ask for Zofran- the kind that melts on your tongue. They used to only give it to Chemo patients- but I lived on it the whole time I was pregnant. Best thing in the world....
YES PHENERGAN CAN BE ADDICTIVE AND CAUSE DEPENDANCE ISSUES. I have Crohn's Disease and on 100mgs of Phenergan for THREE YEARS now and have neuro damge from it. FOR THREE YEARS Phenergan has caused my life to become miserable - it started with minor hand tremors ..then over time spread to my legs then arms and eventually head. The restlessness in my legs got so bad I was having uncontrollable twitches and flexing - same with arms and head. It was NEVER painful just incredibly unpleasant feeling - like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. Doctors told me this was anxiety for years - but it NEVER matched with anxiety symptoms. I finally saw an incredible doctor - and she educated me with research on Phenergan and how it is really NOT a great drug for nausea long term use. ZOFRAN is really the only safe long tern drug for nausea - (compaize and reglan are like phenergan)