Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
quitting heroin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

quitting heroin

I've been using heroin for the past 9months. My tolerance is through the roof! I am now using at least 80$ a day, so 8 bags a day. I start withdrawaling after 8 hours of last use. For the last 3 months I haven't been clean for more than 8 hours! I don't know what to do anymore! I want to quit so bad but I just can't. When I tell myself I'm going to quit and actually make the decision, 8 hours later I find myself almost possesed by a demon. How do I get past that? I need to I want to quit! How?
Can you go to a detox center ?   Is there a methadone clinic that you can call to see abt getting in ?   I think others will come along soon who can give you more info than me abt. what you are dealing with.     Do you have a good friend or family member that can help you find a Sub program or methadone center?    I know this is just a horrible situation for you and I am so sorry.  You won't die from withdrawls but I know it feels like you will.   Hopefully others will post some information for you soon.

Ella
My friend was on herion bad iv user and she is now in methadone program and clean 2 yrs message me have any questions feel free ask
Methadone and sub are not my first suggestions unless you have had treatment before several times and relapsed. These are harm reduction or replacement programs and should only be for the most desperate addicts who can't stop but can be effective. Being that you are on street dope that already makes you much more addicted than the average pill addict here and also more desperate. The difference is that you take a lot more opiate and also take a lot more risk to get dope than a pill user. Do you shoot dope? I would suggest a inpatient detox because this can be more difficult than the usual rx detox. Hope to hear more from you.
You have to go to war on your addiction.. Heroin is the enemy. You have to be sick of the life you are leading. you have to crave being free more then you crave her.. You have to want to live again. Jumping off is as far as I can see a very good option for you. 9mo. is not so terrible long compared to some. The bad wd last about a week.. a small price for your freedom..  as far as the addiction goes you need to get help with that you have to change a lot of behaviors friends places you go the whole shebang.. it takes a lot of commitment.. You just got to want it.. there is also the option of rehab. make a app. and go you will get help with wd. do not let fear stand in your way of getting off H .. You can do it.. You just have to want it bad enough.. lesa
you are to young for this. Get a in house detox  center if you  can, you have to stop this, and you have to stop it for good.
Beware of methadone and suboxone.  I don't say not to use them: they can be very helpful in dealing with a heroin addiction, as long as you are aware that they are both highly addictive substances.  There is a long article somewhere on this forum by someone who spent a long time getting off suboxone, a couple of years, I think.  A few weeks in rehab on sub is probably not long enough to be effective.  Our son, who died of a methadone overdose six months ago, stayed clean (of methadone) for six weeks in rehab, on suboxone, but went out again immediately after he left.  Methadone stays in the system much longer than heroin, so withdrawals last much longer.  If you ever want to get off the mainentance program, you have to deal with this eventually.
sorry to see that you lost your son to methadone. what you said is correct.I had a thread about the  GAO methadone study and it was amazing how many deaths were related to it. I am recovery from a methadone/opioid habit and was very lucky to make it out. when you pass out, then  wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air,something is definitely not right!

the problem with methadone is it builds up in the body, so over time,people dont realize that they are packing more and more into their body.its super strong and last much longer.  like you said, the wd's are horrendous and worse.

but it does have its time and place for some
Look, I do not know how old you are but DO NOT go on methadone, it's way easier to kick heroin than methadone. If this is your first habit, go to your doctor, be up front with him or her and get 60 1mg xanax and only take them when you need to rest, otherwise kick that habit and then whomever you have been hanging with shooting dope get rid of them, change your area and friends, you can never run from yourself, but it is sure easier to kick smack without the people you are doing it with. Dope makes you feel so good, but that's the lie, when you don't have it, hell you feel like dying, hold on, get some weed too, and kick that habit!
Baruch HaSHem!
Rob
bad advice from lamfree, get xanax and weed. Not the kind of thing you usually see here but sometimes you see it and can ignore it. We drug addicts have this mentallity that drugs can hekp any situation. There aren't allways drug solutions to drug addiction. Sometimes methadone or sub can be helpfull but there are both overused IMO. Try a rehap/detox first. all the best
I would suggest you find a detox center.  A good one that is a trained addiction specialist can be found at http://www.thecolemaninstitute.com/.  You also need to find aftercare.  

I just went through it 21 days ago for a 450 mg/day oxycodone pain dependency.  In 3 days, I left their office clean.  For someone like you though, you would really need aftercare of somekind to deal with the issues that made you start using in the first place.

Their main office is in Richmond, VA but I know they have offices in other parts of the country and have been doing this for more than 8 years.  At least look up the website and give Jenny a call.

Congrats on your realization of needing to quit.  Now the hard part comes.  Then you get clean, then the really hard part starts but I know you can do this.