Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
rehab with no money?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

rehab with no money?

My husband has been addicted to various drugs and alcohol for over 10 years.  His current problem is opiates, xanax, and alcohol.  But he'll basically take whatever he can get a hold of.  He's tried quitting on his own a bazillion times, only to fail within a few days.  We even moved out of state to where he didn't know anyone to buy from, but he just replaced drugs with loads of alcohol.  This has caused lots of strain on our relationship and I initiated a seperation last week.  He wants to stay married, but I feel I need to basically do an intervention telling him he has to overcome his addictions completely before we can get back together.  We have a toddler son (not a planned pregnancy as I didn't intent do bring a child into this), so that is my main motivation because I can't let myself raise a child with an addict.  Our problem is that I had a severe illness for a year and with that combined with his drug habit, we are living below the poverty level and extremely broke.  I know if he's going to overcome these addictions, he has to have a lot of help, much more than I can do on my own.  He needs counseling for underlying issues as well that I believe contribute to his problem.  

Anyway, the main question is:  how do you get professional help for substance abuse and addiction when you have no money?  Is there anything out there that like that?  And if you need specifics, we will need the treatment in central Kentucky or near Gainesville, Florida.  

I would really appreciate any ideas or advice you have.  Thanks so much!
Tags: Rehab
take the money he uses for drugs,,,get insurance or get help
Thanks for the reply.

Actually at this time, he's not spending that much on drugs since he hasn't been able to find them.  Most money goes to alcohol, probably about $400/month at the very most.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a big chunk of our income right now.  When I was in the hospital in a coma, he spend about $5000 in one month on pills and alcohol.  That's when I had some savings.  Since then, we've been in poverty because I wasn't able to work for over a year and he doesn't make a lot of money.

Also, if he went into treatment, I would imagine that he wouldn't be able to work very much.  I know from experience he can't function while going through any kind of detox.  So I would have to support us all on one income and pay for the treatment.  And I make minimum wage at this time so I'm already struggling to get by.

Are there any comprehensive resources on the internet about treatment options?  All I've found are for profit sites that aren't so reliable.  
hello. this seems to be an issue more and more. i am fortunate to be where i am as this county has one of the most accessible mental health/substance abuse programs available. but lately the resources available are coming under attack via budget cuts and empty promises from politicians. sorry---didn't mean to get sidetracked. if you will go to http://www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov/  there you will find a locator for tx centers based on the location you enter. i entered within 100 miles of gainesville, fla and got 131 facilities, the first ten within 33 miles. 6 of these accept payment on a sliding scale based on income and other factors. i hope this helps you folks and in the meantime i would highly recommend aa/na for your husband and al-anon or nar-anon for yourself. those are where most healing begins to take place. rehabs can detox someone and introduce them to recovery, but 28 days or less is just the beginning of a much longer journey for most. if someone has had enough and is willing to do whatever it takes to recover, there is a solution. try to learn as much as you can and find others that have been to the same hell and begun to live again. they know the way out.
take care, gm
They have scholarship programs out there that are there to help people. I believe if your husband is willing to get clean, he would be a great canidate. That's the catch though. He has to want it. I went to a 90 day program and my family did not have the money to send me either. Search on the web, make phone calls, do whatever you have to do to get him the best possible help he can get. It's out there, but they're not going to search you down. Good luck!
I know that for suboxone doctors are allowed to treat one patient for free.  My doctors does.  although i am not suggesting sub for him i am also aware at that the treatment center, as someone above mentioned they do go on a pay  schedule  according to your income.  There are a few people that i know for a fact get free treatment because they are at or below poverty levels.  then there is always the good ol' crisis center,  Iwhere in my city they cant turn u away for inability to pay, unless of course there are no beds.  when i called them last year, when i started my search to become clean, they told me just show up, with your bag,(shampoo, deodarant, lotion, pjs) and they wont turn you away.  they will help him at least to detox off the drugs/alcohol.  they will keep him about 3 -5 days, but he will need more treatment than that, that will only be the beginning, he must follow up with aftercare. But also as someone else mentioned above, if he does not want to get clean, there wont be too much, you can do.  Sad but true.  I wish you the best.