Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
rls & codeine withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

rls & codeine withdrawal

I have taken 400 to 600mg of codeine a day for at least the last 5 yrs. This is my 8th attempt to withdraw from it. Once i get down to about 250mg, the restlesslegs becomes really uncomfortable in my whole body as well as almost constant itchness. I had a heroin addiction for 3 or 4 yrs then went on methadone for another 18 mths in my twenties. I also have bipolar disorder and the withdrawals play havic with my symtoms (symptoms), even though i take lithium & lexapro. 2 yrs ago i went cold turkey, and only got no more than 1 hr sleep a night for 4 weeks, then took a heap of valium & admitted myself to hosptial with manic symptoms.
I am bipolar as well and I am sure I know exactly what you are saying and thinking.  I had to go into inpatient treatment and it changed my life.  Withdrawals are hard for anybody but people with mental disorders run a higher risk of suicide.  I don't want to lose another one to this monster we call addiction.  I am also on the bipolar forum and will be glad to hear from you and more about your onset of bipolar.....AFTER YOU GET OUT OF TREATMENT!!!!!

Not only is it dangerous because your mind has the capacity to get manically depressed, but if you don't get sleep while you are detoxing I promise you will be setting yourself up for failure.  Please go to treatment now.
you can take magnesium and potassium supplements, eat bananas, foods high in potassium, you can buy hylands restlful leg supplements,hot baths with epsom salts for the rls ,  sleeping try natural supplements valerian root,sleepy time or chamolile tea,melatonin.i hope you can find  all things these things down under.
do you attend counseling or support groups to help you remain a recovering addict?
so glad for you that you are trying to reclaim your life.
does your doctor who prescribes your bipolar meds know you are detoxing?
blessings to you
debbie  

Hi- To be safe, get in touch with your doctor. Sometimes the Bipolar meds need to be changed up during detox. I'd hate to see you get into trouble!
Have you talked with your doctor about any of this?
I received treatment as a involuntary patient back in 2001. I had no idea there was anything wrong at the time. It took me at least 6 months to feel well.Was off work for nearly 2 years. I now work for wages, i was self employed but don't need the stress. I'm taking your advice & are going to see someone about the codine because its so hard to get off & i take it for pain management, mood swings, stress, depression, etc, etc. Thanks.