Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
severe facial pain from snorting pills... please help!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi, sorry its a long story, but i want to start at the beginning... I've been snorting pain pills for around 6 years. It was occasional until the last 3 years. I have a few health problems that caused pain and I had bad teeth so the pill use got pretty out of hand. I finally got my pain under control and had my teeth pulled last year and I promised myself that I was done with the pills. About a week after I got my teeth pulled I started noticing pain in my gums which I thought was dry socket so I continued to snort pills for 3 months and the pain spread to my sinuse. I went to the Dr twice and was given antibiotics for a sinus infection. A few more months went by and the pain gradually got worse and I just used that as my excuse to keep snorting the pills January 1st of this year I made my new years resolution to get my life back on track. I have been to a Dr and I am on subutex and I have only been snorting pills when I am in pain. The pain has gotten completely unbearable! I have recently been researching and I realize that this pain is because of the pills. I want sooooo badly to be done with them!!! I have pain in my upper and lower gums, my jaw, my ear, my temple, the roof of my mouth, and my throat. I can see that the flesh inside of my nostril looks white(necrosis) but I don't think I have a hole.  The pain is absolutely unbearable unless I snort another pill! I have tried saline sprays, I eat ibuprofen like pez, I even have a netty pot (sp?) I was just wondering if anyone has any advise. I am 22 and I have been accepted to nursing school and I'm really scared that I'm not going to be able to get this to go away. I should have never let it get this bad, but it was kinda one of those things where I was in denial for so long then one day I woke up and enough was enough. I am confident that my addiction is under control, just looking at the pills makes me hate myself. I work full time and have a busy schedule the only way for me to even be able to go to work is to snort a pill to get the pain under control. Someone please help!! ANY advice is welcome!!! I am willing to try anything (p.s I would go to an ent but I'm scared that that will effect my nursing career... The Dr I go to for subutex is in another state and its cash only/ its kinda shady. I would tell that Dr about my problem but then he will know that I have still been abusing pills and he may kick me out.)  
One more thing to add.. I have tried taking the pills orally and it doesn't help. I no as an addict we make excuses to use.. for the first time in years I am 100% sure this pain is not an excuse!! They have ruined my life, I want to be happy! If someone said in order for this pain to go away immediatly I could never touch another pill again, I wouldn't think twice to say ok!! I no it will take time and I can't expect it to go away instantly. I just want to know what to expect and if I can ease the pain at all to make it bearable. I can't take time off work and I'm starting school soon... If I can't get this under control I don't know what I'm gonna do!
Hi there!  Sorry about the problems you're having, but you're kind of between a rock and a hard place here.  You NEED to see a doctor.  You may have done some serious damage?  I don't know as only a doc can tell you that.  Rather it affects your career or not, your health comes first!  

Something you wrote alarms me......."I'm confident that my addiction is under control....." I'm sorry, sweetie, but your story about your addiction and what it's done to your life and health sounds far from under control to me.  It sounds very out of control.  If it was so under control you would not be going out of state to a cash only doc who is shady at best and be afraid he'd cut you off if you told him.  If you were in control, you'd say to heck with him....I'm not going back again, because I want this to stop therefore I don't need his shady butt anymore!!!  You also said that looking at a pill makes you hate yourself because you're so confident that it's under control and then right after that you said that you have to snort one to go to work?  I'm just a little confused on that one.

Think about this, ok?  And get to a GOOD and DECENT doc who will help you with your issues and not pump you full of pills!  I wish you lots of luck!  We will help you here, but you need a doctor ASAP!
The snorting of the pills has become ritualistic behavior to you and a part of the addiction. (Yes, you are addicted.) The whole part about fixing them up, snorting them, and the feeling you get afterward has all become part of your addiction and why you aren't getting the same feeling "taking the pills orally." The blood vessels under your tongue will adsorb the drug just as readily as the ones in your nasal cavity.

First work on getting used to taking the Sub sub-lingually to let your nose and throat heal, then work on stop using. ;)

Good luck.
Yeah, I know that one. What are you snorting? Subs, morphine, oxys, what? Hangetsu is right, subs work just as well under the tongue. I snorted methadone, it takes too long to work orally(so I rationalized). I would snort 40mg then swallow 40mg so I had a good 8hrs feeling normal starting in about 30 min. I'd snort them throughout the day, as needed. I usually maxed out at about 200mg. a day. Personal boundaries, you know. I'm a sick puppy. We addicts have a strange since of self control. Well the nose thing is a bummer. The thing destroying your nose makes it feel better. Unfortunately, no pain no gain. I used subutex to get off methadone. I'm not sure you worked the 1st step in the NA book. It was easy for me to say, "Sure, my life is unmanageable and sure, I'm an addict." It was obvious to my mind, but part of me didn't want to let go until I started having near death experiences. Many friends are dead. Then, my heart, emotions, and spirit got involved. I had been defeated. On a gut level it became real, I can't even take an opiate if I break my jaw again. I couldn't do it alone. I reached out for help in every corner of my life. You can't just stop the subutex, it requires a taper, but you can stop snorting. It's hard, trust me, I know. Make a decision and do it quick or you will lose everything. You need to set up a plan of aftercare for when you finally get clean. Good luck and keep trying...
I should have said I have it under control but I'm cofident that I'm finally at the point that I am determined and I am in the right mind set to get it under control. I have no craving for pills, I don't have to have pills to want to go to work, the pain gets so bad that I literally can't work. I will wake up hours before work and try everything that I can think of before doing a pill. I will try so hard and deal with the pain when I have days off work and it will get to the point where I'm cry out in pain and trembling and I finally break down and snort something. No one in my life knows that I am an addict except my fiance, I've been a surprisingly functional addict. I'm from a smaller town and  there is only one clinic for subutex and I no way to many people that go there, that's why I go to the Dr that I do, I didn't realize how shady it was till I went the first time and poured my heart out to the Dr. And he say " oh" and handed me my script and left. I'm also fairly new to the way that all work   I do feel like I could give up the subutex fairly easily also, I no it sounds stupid, but I donno something just clicked one day I looked at my life and i just wanted to be done.
Shouldnt**
I snort hydros, percs, lortab. 5-6 10's a day. Depending on$ I think what really screwed me up was when I realized the pain was from pills I started snorting tylonel to get the pain to stop, ii wanted to be done with pills so bad that I thought "well ill do this for a little while and see if it helps" someone told me that it would help the pain, if only I knew that what I no now. I snorted the subs for a few months but I have been taking it Sub lingually for about a month.
I snorted** 5-6 ...for the past 4 or 5 month I have only been snorting 1-2 a day. I quarter up the pills and just snort a liitle when it starts hurting which is about every 2 hours. Even at night I wake up atleast 3 times in pain.
If you superficially burn your arm applying Morphine topically isn't going to stop the pain. It has to be absorbed into the blood system.

When you snort whatever it is you're snorting the pain stops because it's been absorbed into your system, not because it got on the part that hurts.
Sorry I'm talking so much but this is really the first time one been able to talk to anyone. I still really don't no much about where else to go for help and what not. I don't even have a lot of addict friends, I've kept this a secret for a long time! But I was just thinking... The reason I feel like I'm more in control is because before I decided to get clean I would do 5-6 lortabs a day halving them up, (that's minimal, more depending on $)I could never get enough. Even right after i would do a half I'd be planning when I was gonna do the rest. Now I don't think about them, just when the pain comes. Sometimes I will snort maybe 1/5 of a pill just to get the pain to go away and I'm fine until the pain creeps back up on me. I snorted tylonel for weeks at a time like that cuz I was determined not to buy pills.
"Sometimes I will snort maybe 1/5 of a pill just to get the pain to go away and I'm fine until the pain creeps back up on me."

Do you really think there is enough medication in 1/5th a Lortab to stop any significant amount of pain? The snorting of pills has become a mental thing with you.

The pain is just as real, but physical pain cured from 1/5th a Lortab? Think about it.

I won't bother you any more with it, it's up to you. I hope you get it under control.
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in even though I'm new to this forum..I'm certainly not new to addiction and thank god,recovery..I am also a nurse and I have a pretty painful active illness..crohns..when I decided to get clean,my family tried to talk me out of it. My brother said" you'll lose your nursing license!!"..I replied" yes I will..if and when I begin diverting drugs and get arrested!" I have not diverted drugs on my work place..yet.. I put nothing past my disease of addiction. It is far more cunning and powerful than even the most enlightend addict can know firsthand. I later relapsed and stayed on pain meds for 8 years and I will tell you this truth for me..it progressed even without my awareness. I have had to have several surgeries on my belly clean..but I was also on pain meds post op with the knowledge of my addiction to my doctors and my friends in recovery and my family members who are now on board with my recovery. Sweetheart..I was wiling to give up my nursing license if I had to if that what it took to stay clean..still am today. It's not easy and I wont lie to you,some days I have some very very bad pain(like today)..but I am clean and in recovery. For your life's sake..find a good doctor and tell him the truth! Go to an er and find one..whatever you have to do..physically,having any infection above your neck can easily enter your brain..and you do not want a brain infection..I implore you to take care of yourself first..nursing school and your pain issues can be addressed..your life is literally on the line and that line sounds like a thin one at the moment!
I just want to be honest with you.i have seen too many die from this disease of addiction. But I want you to also hear this:I HAVE SEEN MANY LIVE IN RECOVERY! Just for today..you NEVER have to use again!!
Everything you're snorting is cut with Acetaminophen (aka Tylenol aka APAP). It is far more toxic to the body than any opiate. Go see a doctor TODAY. You need to deal with the addiction too, but the APAP is your immediate concern.
Snorting and under control don't go together.
I've snorted and never been I control, that's why I did it
I didnt read all ur responses but ur snorting tabs,perks wtf??ur putting a ton of buffer up ur nose.U HAVE TO C A DR. It wont affect ur career its confidential.I can assure u that snorting THOSE pills n no way works better than orally.If ur talking oxies,roxis w/o the buffer maybe but I am shocked snorting that much buffer doesnt make u puke.SEE A DOCTOR ASAP.Its a rat trap ur n with this
honey dont snort another tylenol again!!!! seriously do you know how bad that is? it eats away your skin!! the pain medication goes through your blood, like someone said, if you burned your arm, putting morphine on it wouldnt do a damn thing. this is all mental. the addiction part im talking about. and why are you taking subutex while taking pain pills? im so scared for you its making me so worried. you NEED to go to a doctor, i would nt snort another pill if i were u
Hey there! If it's not too intrusive I really would like to talk to you privately via email! You are definitely going about getting better in the wrong way and you seem pretty uncertain and scared of others finding out, which is understandable! So if you still want help or just someone who understands what you're going through and to ask questions too I'd love to be here for you :) Please don't hesitate to get at me, even if you're doing better or think you've got things figured out, it's never good to recover alone!! email me at ***@****
I understand EXACTLY what u are going thru as i too have the same problem & like u i even snort Tylenol to get pain to stop. The only thing ive found other than snorting pills to make nose & throat pain stop is try using some ambesol or oragel on qtip & swab back of throat to numb it, ive been doing this for couple days & so far working. Best of luck hun & let me kno how it works out 4 u or if u find something else that'll help. Thanks
I am sure you understand EXACTLY since you and the OP of this thread are one and the same.  You are here for help, so let's not play games...
Yeah, WTH?? SMH, whats wrong with people!

Icandothis819, why would you post as if you were someone else when its clear your the same person? Nevermind, It doesnt matter to me why.
you will eat holes in your nose if you snort OTC meds. My ex fiance is worse on em than you and full of excuses. I learned if you don't do em you have phantom pain that's your body cravin them not real pain from injury or trauma. You need to see a doctor. They have a thing called patient privacy and they're not obligated to ruin your life, they're there to help you!!! I am also trying to quit and it's not easy by no means. My exfiance's messed up nose was my wakeup. I don't even wanna see a damn pill anymore. Which rlly helps.
I need some advice. I have been snorting norcos for about a year now. It is getting so bad that if I don't snort, it burns. I want to quit completely and not take them orally either. I have tried to stop 3-4x but the longest I have lasted was 2 days. My nose burns if I don't do it, I feel sick when I don't, I'll be on the toilet if I don't take them. What do I do!!!!??  Please someone give me advice. Also I'd like positive feedback :)
Sincerely,
              KayKaay
hi my name is Kayla...i have had an addiction since the age of 19 and am now 23...first it was mass amounts of alcohol..now its worked its way up to painpills pretty heavy for over a year...whatever i can get my hands on...yes i still drink on top of that...only 3-6 beers a day which is good for me considering the amount i used to drink but still...the other day i got so sick and tired of blowing all my money and what i know all this is doin to my body i got rid of the last 10s i had and got the subutex i knew was around...ive been on the subutex and one 40of beer a night for the last three days and am feelin pretty good about myself..i just really could use some feedback..i also have really bad paranoia and alot of bad things have happened to me in my past...also why i have chosen to self medicate for years...but anyway..do you guys think im going about this the wrong way by snorting the sub and still having beer at night?? i mean im trying but stopping cold turkey with stuff just doesnt seem like an option for me...ADVICE>>ANYONE>>PLEASE...also before i started doin the subutex i was up to 50-60 miligrams of hrydo or oxy a day... Thanks again anyone that can help!
I am going through the same thing..I have actually been in the same situation as you not telling anyone..not being able to go to work. I Have said the same this you said... I don't know if will see this. I know its a long shot ..but if you figured it out please tell me!! I need help more than anything. Thank you
Hi Hoodie and welcome,

You came to the right place for support. But this is an old post and it may get lost and return to archives. Please go to the top of this page and hit the orange Post A Question button. Follow the instructions from there. This way you will start your own thread and we can get to know you and support you. If you need any help just ask. Hope to see you out there.
Anyone get the pain to go away
Hi and welcome! This is an older thread and most of these people aren't around anymore. If you go to the top of the page and hit the 'post a question' link you can ask a question and tell your story. more people will be likely to see it and you'll get all the advice and support you deserve. Please stick around and keep posting. Good luck to you!
Like mentioned this is an old post. You've posted in snorting threads twice. If you need help please start your own thread. This way people can follow the history of posts.
The people here are great. Smart and supportive. It's a community.