Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
side effects of methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

side effects of methadone

i'm a 35 yr old female that surrendered to methadone to steer away of a herion habit. I started methadone in Feb., but havent had a menstrated since Dec 31st. Also, I have absolutely no sex drive and when I do have sex with my partner it doesn't feel normal. Is there something my doctor can help me with. It's tearing my relationship apart.
I just wondered if I was alone in this and what my doc might persribe to help with me get my natural sex drive back... or am I heading toward menopause?
  Hey there. It is the methadone that is screwing with your sex drive. I have been on it for pain for 7 years. My wife and I have had sex 3 times since I went on it and that was in the beginning. Thank goodness we love eachother because it hasn`t effected our relationship. She understands that it is the drugs and not us. When you get off the methadone, your sex drive will come back. Mine is coming back strong and has made getting off the drugs well worth it in so many ways. Even my cronic (chronic) pain has been less. Hang in there. Getting away from H was your first big step. next will be getting off the methadone. it isn`t easy, but you can do it IF you really want to. And if your partner truely loves you, they will stand by you and be willing to wait.  Dan
yes yes yes it is the methadone i believe. I am a 43 yr. old woman who has been on metadone 5 years and it has definetly made a differnce in sex drive.  not to mention some drugs like h and c actually stimulate the drive making it exceptional.  so now it is like wow what a difference.  I have been very very slowly decreasing my daily dose, i was on 120 and now have gone down to 50, I haven't gotten back on track yet with the s drive but between going to the gym 3 days a week and drinking lots of water and vitamins i have slowly started to get the endorphins moving again naturally but it is a very slow process.  when i couldn't exercise because i had to spend lot of my time taking care of my mom, i really noticed i felt a lot more crappy. so now i am back on track at the gym and i have lost 13 lbs. since jan.  i think feeling better about myself has also helped to enjoy life more.  i really do recommend taking the 5htp and the 3 in 1 supplement you have probaly read about on here. they really do help... keep your chin up because slow and steady wins the race....
HI welcome to the world of methadone they dont tell you about im sorry hun about all you can do is get off the stuff to get rid of the side effects I was on it for 6 1/2 yr and lived in a sexless marriage it s u c ked I know of nothing that can fix your problem other then getting off the stuff if you need help with that I can help good luck and God bless........Gnarly
Hello Dan My Boy Friend is 49 and he has been on Methadone for 75 days. I am so proud of him and hate him at the same time.Please understand I love him with all my heart and would do anything for him. When we first met he was addicted to opiates .  I didn;t know because he hid it at first then he had to have gallbladder surgery and it was all out in the open then,,,I was drug to every hospital around our state and then some in near by states. It was awful.. He does have a bad back and need to be on disability and is working on that too. But he saw what all this was doing to me and his family and was worried about getting into trouble so he found the methadone clinic. He has not used at all since the clinic.  But our relationship has turned to the pits, He has no desire for me .. not touching kissing nor sex. He can have sex but without feelings or emotions. He hasn't been able to orgasm but once in 75 days. I feel like its me and I'm not what he wants anymore. He trys to have sex once a week. But Its like he's not really wanting me... How can I continue to be supportive knowing we aren't married but just live together.? I do love him so much and want whats best for him. The clinic doesn't help either with this issue. He has me down so that I can talk to the nurses and counselors  but they don't help with this. its like as long as they get paid thats all that matters. He says he's gonna stop the methadone because he can't stand what its doing to us. The drugs were killing us and now this.  How can I help. and what do I need to do? Melanie  I need some support for me too. Again I do love him...