Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
so I just called the counsellor....and u wldn't believe...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

'she ' is even surprised at how Ive been penalised for asking for help. For every nurse that is honest and wants to be pill free, there is another 50 who will con't to practise and never be found out. There should be more understanding for the people who work one of the hardest jobs in the world. What do you all think? BTW I dont feel and there's no evidence to support that i have ever endangered a patient's life. Ta and good work to you all out there who are brave enough to battle your demons....fight the good fight and you will win! Love you all xoxoxoxoxox
Hi Pepe, I haven't followed your story, but congrats for getting your life back. Isn't there a program within your profession thru the union that recognizes the high rate that healthcare workers face with addiction and offer lots of support? I know my sil in Conn. that has started an AA type program just for healthcare workers. Can you benifit from that?
Hi again Pepe
I just think that we are not clear headed while we are using and it's possible to make a bad decision.
Maybe you haven't endangered a patient YET but you have to be honest here and know that it is a possibility.
Keep fighting the battle.
I do think that we in medicine have some of the hardest jobs. As well as first responders! The things our bodies go through, the things we see, the things we have to endure is very difficult at times. I dont know the statistics on addiction and medical professionals but I would imagine it is higher than what most would think! I do think there should be more understanding at some level BUT I also understand the fear that some people have when they hear we too are human and can be addicts!

I dont necessarily agree though that there is no evidence that someone taking pills CANT endager lives . Obviously I cant speak for you, but I know for me in hindsight, sometimes I wasnt as quick with reaction times and thought processes as I was when I wasnt taking my pills. Yes im ashamed to admit it, but I also know now I was,( am)  an addict and its a disease. I just wont fool myself into thinking I NEVER endagered someone life or safety. I was lucky nothing bad really ever happened, but it absolutely could have!

Anyways, thats my 2 cents :) Im sorry you are having such an issue with people wanting to help you. Im sure its because of their own ignorance at how bad this diesease addiction is!