Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
soma

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

soma

what are the symtoms (symptoms) of addiction to soma?
I'm sorry i'm not responding to a question, but asking one of my own about soma. I am perscribed soma for muscle spasms, i was told that soma in not addicting, but after reading some post i;m not sure about that. Can anybody tell me if soma is addictive and why?
I PERSONALLY know someone that was addicted to Soma and died of an ACCIDENTAL overdose.  If you take too many your heart (a muscle) will just quit - be careful.

You guys are probably right about it being addicting but the only thing I have ever heard about it is that in Nevada they are restricting people getting Soma and Vicodin at the same time because they are taking large quantities of it together (called a speedball) and it supposedly feels just like heroin.  (NOT making suggestions or anything!)
Soma is a chemical derivative of the highly addictive muscle relaxant mepbromate (not sure of the correct spelling).  Soma was initailly said to be not addictive but was found to be otherwise.  I assume it is addictive the same manner other tranquilizers are addictive.

Just my 2 cents.
The pain doctors in Minneapolis are really head strong about not perscribing soma - but are willing to give patients "MS-Contin" which is a morphine compound. Can anybody tell me why a pain doctor would switch a new patient that they barely know from Tylenol #3 & Soma to Tylenol #3 & Flexril (which isn't working) and also offer them MS-Contin? This actually makes no sense to me - other than the doctor said that, "Soma is highly addictive, we don't prescibe our patients that, but we could try a morphine compound." I just thought.... what the hell drugs are you on lady? Okay... lets change this girl from being on Soma (350mg/ 6x per day) to a compound of morphine? Not smart! Soma is the only medication I have found that works really well at relieving 80% of back pain in a hurry - I would take 2 at a time with 1 Tylenol #3 and would be fine and pain free for 6 hours. I have had 3 back surgeries & I am only 27 years old. I now have a bunch of metal in my back from a spinal fusion in April. What the heck do you say to a Dr. who is willing to switch your meds and make you feel worse from all the pain your in? Sarah J.
I have had sever back pain since 2005. I have been on just about everything there is. I have even been on oxycontin and morphine. But I have never had a problem with any  of my meds till I got put on Soma. I may not be addictive but you will find that not only do you get pain relief you will absolutely LOVE the way you feel. I have smoked for 30 years and if I had to choose between a soma and a cigarette I would take the soma. BUT now I have been without them before and the first week is awful, then it gets better.
Why do u think u r addicted? Are u taking them when u dont need them or taking them for fun? They can be addictive but also are good for muscle pain relief....if u r taking them as prescribed and they work it shouldnt be an issue.
Be careful my friend just died last Tuesday of an drug over dose on somas. He would take up to 90 a day maybe more. Last Sunday his mom took him to the er to get his stomach pumped then that day he took more somas he had stashed throughout the house and he never woke up. His funeral is Saturday.  So think twice before you end up like him he was only 34.
To add to my comment he has been taking this quantity for about 6 years now. That night when he died in his sleep he took about 6 Vicodin and 20 somas.
He had a death wish... that is too much, and not on any legal, logical doctors scale of prescription. Any overdose will take you out, the enemy is GREAT about that.... IF we only knew the fight for our lives that is going on in the Spirit World, we would be more careful. IT is very important for any "Friend" to contribute a way for their freedom, if they wont, then expose them. 90 Is UNREAL! Someone should have stepped up to the plate, I am sorry for your loss..... be attentive.