Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
stopping xanax cold turkey

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

stopping xanax cold turkey

I have been on xanax, started at the white, to the orange, and then went to the blues.....when i was on blues, the most i would take is 4 a day, that being 4mg....The pills were not used for fun, i really did have anxiety and the xanax worked wonders...i just felt normal..anyways i have decided to stop after reading some of the things that can happen with long term use...i currently have taken xanax for 5 months...

anyways i decided to stop taking last tuesday..it has been 5 days of hell, although i will get through it....the first 3 days sucked, with shakes, sweating, felt cracked out really..it is now sunday and still feel jittery and such but not as bad as before...how long should i expect this to last..is there any natural things to buy 2 help with sleep..i have slept decently every other night i would say..u can quit cold turkey, dont be scared..have the will power...im sure if i had taken it for years i would of weaned off, but its only been 5 months....good luck to anyone else experiencing withdrawal symptoms
I'm assuming you didn't talk to your doctor about stopping the Xanax cold turkey because he/she would have told you that this drug needs to be tapered.  You put yourself at risk of seizures when you stop like this.  You can take Melatonin or Valerain root to help you sleep, or benadryl. Sounds like you are doing okay = be careful!
PLEASE do not tell people that iit OK to quit cold turkey off of Xanax, because it is NOT ok. You could easily have suffered seizures--count yourself lucky.
Welcome ,
Going cold turkey on xanax is very dangerous .It has nothing to do with will power .It can cause seizures or death ....benzos have to be tapered,count your self lucky ,You can look into melation or Valerian root for sleep.
avis
DETOX FROM BENZOS NEED TO BE TAPERED BY A DOCTOR
my bad for sayin its okay 2 stop cold turkey...but i think alot of the problem with stoppin cold turkey is that the original anxiety u had when prescribed the xanax comes back 2 fold and that makes the withdrawal even worse...based on my information with dosage and such, how long do u think until withdrawal things r gone..
It can take weeks to compeltely detox from Benzo's. Its extremely dangerous to detox without a proper taper. Benzo's work on the GABA part of your brain and stopping abruptly can cause seizures and worse even death.
Think that you are really lucky.  Agree with everyone's advice not to stop cold turkey.  Think it's possible that you lucked out (going 5 days) and that you probably won't have a seizure this far out (but wouldn't bet the farm on it).  Think it's important you call some medical doctor and ask if you are out of the woods.  I recently asked a doctor how many mgs. of xanex can you be on and stop without having seizures and he said 2 mgs.  I'm not sure though that this is the same for everyone and they really should be tapered down to zero.
its all good...its day 6 and im feelin fine...i didnt want 2 taper, didnt want anything else in my body
and btw when i called my docs office and asked if it was alright to stop cold turkey, nothing was said for me to think i had 2 taper down
Xanex is probably way more addicting than oxycontin in my opinion.  For withdrawals, I would suggest valium or something a little less addicting than xanex.
well i  have been taking xanax well for about 5 years ..I tried them dor the 1st time ever 10 years ago and really started taking them about 3 years later..and I will tell you I have takin so much at a time I am so blessed that I woke up...Well here recently I have been wanting to stop all together. Now I must say they have made me relax so much bc i am an uptight person and worry alot w High BP..and I just really need to change alot..diet, drinking \, Im only 28 so ...anyhoo through out the past years I have went through phases...some where i was goin all out on them and some to where i could get off on a half of a bar so latley if i have taken 1 mg then thats been the most in a while except for the days where i may take 1mg am and 1mg pm/.//so i got an Rx for .25 and the last 4 days have been taking 3 then 1 then 2 and 2 so NOW   I need like a recipe to "taper " off ... I was thinkin cold turkey but Im a little scared bc  of my long term history ..any suggestions?? czechitout