Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
suboxone / menstrual cycle

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

suboxone / menstrual cycle

Hey everybody ~ Today is my 8th day on Suboxone and it has been an interesting experience, for sure. I found that I get VERY sleepy after I take a dose, so I have adjusted the time of my daily dosage to every night right before I go to bed. There are lots of little kinks that I am getting worked out, but I am hoping to have it all fine tuned in the coming weeks.

SO - here is my concern - I should have started my period this past Monday…So as of today, I am 4 days late. I did an at home pregnancy test, and it said that I was NOT pregnant. I am trying to see if I can find any documented side effects of Suboxone that state that your menstrual cycle can be effected. Has anyone on here that is on Suboxone had any side effects like the one I mentioned? Oh, and the last few days I have had headaches (surprise surprise) but other than that, the Suboxone has been a Godsend. I am just hoping that I have to trade my regular menstrual cycle to be on it. :(
I think anytime your body goes thru a major change that could happen.

But I would take another pregnancy test in a week just to be certain. How possible is it you maybe pregnant? No need to answer that but to yourself. I don't like to pry into peoples sex life.

Dove
No, no worries about "prying" I wouldnt post on here if I wasnt comforatable talking about it :)

I am sexually active, but I am on the Neuva ring which has been very effective in providing birth control AND it also keeps me regular on my period. Which is weird that this month I just didnt have one.

If you dont mind me asking, are you on Suboxone?
I'm not on it and recently coming into this forum found out about it.
I'm a oxycodone addict trying to taper off and not doing a very good job at it.

Since you are regular that would concern me too. I assume since you are on the Neuva ring the last thing you want is to be pregnant. I'm sure if you called you M.D. he would probably suggest taking the pregnancy test again too. Whenever I thought I may be pregnant even if it came out negative I would take another on just to be sure.
Dove
Opiate use in general can mess with your period.  Alot of female heroin addicts hardly even get them. Suboxone is an opiate and may be also messing with it.  I would check to see if it lessens the effectiveness of your birth control.
While I was on the Norco, I had irregular  one's too. I'm now on the suboxone, and with my last period, it lasted 2 weeks! I just started the subs 3 weeks ago, so I don't know what my next one will be like yet, but I'm sure it had something to do with it. Please let me know if you find out anything!
I dont know if its normal for suboxone to mess w/ your cycle, all I know is that my menstral cycle has changed drastically. mine completly stopped i havent had a period since the day i started suboxone and before that i was always regular. its really sad. i have no clue why it just went away
Hello, it seems I'm having the same issue. I just started suboxone this past Monday. I was supposed to get my period on Wednesday and didn't. I have cramps, though. Also, today, I started spotting for a couple hours. I'm usually pretty regular so I was wondering if it's a side affect of the suboxone.
Hi my daughter Jen was un  Subutex for quite some time and now is off it for about 2 1/2 months and hasn't gotten her period,  She has had multiple pregnacy tests.
I've been on suboxone for 2 months. The first month my period was late almost a week. This month I didn't have one. Hmmmm ... I've also been very constipated since day 1. At first I was having problems with not being able to pass urine. That went away after about 7-10 days. I'm still constipated with a missing period though. I have an iud so I'm not really worried about pregnancy. I've also lost about 8lbs