Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
suboxone and pregnancy

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

suboxone and pregnancy

Hi everybody,
I am currently on 16mg of suboxone daily. I formerly was terribly addicted to vicodin. The suboxone has been wonderful and have not relapsed since starting my treatment. Life is great now! However, I believe I am pregnant...I am 3 days late and am taking a test tonight. I am already concerned about suboxone and my possible unborn child. Does anyone have any information on the drug and the effects on a fetus? Please help! Thank you!
Hello there!

If you find out you are pregnant, you need to tell your Sub doc and OB right away, as Suboxone is contraindicated in pregnancy.  The typical move ios to switch a patient over to Subutex during the pregnancy.

I also want to say, that your dose is WAY high.  NO one at the maintenence point of Sub (after getting through the induction dose and adjusting) should ever have to be on a dose that is that high, regardless of how much you were using.

If you're pregnant, it may not be an optimal time to taper down, that's something your docs and you will have to look at.  If you don't taper during the pregnancy, then ask about it after you deliver.  A normal maintence dose of sub is around 2-4 mg.  

Sadly, this is a common thing, to see people being way overmedicated with Sub.  Some sub docs never taper their patients, or they start them out at insanely high doses (like 32+mg daily) and taper them down to a dose like you are on.

Let us know what you find out hon!  Do you have any other kids, or would this be your first?