Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
suboxone question

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

suboxone question

Hi again all! I started treatment yesterday like I posted, and I will normally post in that thread, but I have a quick question about suboxone. I took my first dose a couple hours ago, 8 mg film, and I did it wrong I guess. When I put it under my tongue it got stuck to my tooth and gums and mouth but not much under my tongue. I tasted it dissolve all over my mouth really, I also think I may have had something to drink too soon after taking it because I tasted more of it when I drank my gatorade about 10 minutes later (maybe a little less, like 7-8 minutes). The info says it doesn't work as well if swallowed and I think I may have swallowed most of it. Could it still work? I'm still having withdrawal symptoms 2 hours later. I called my doctor an hour ago and I'm waiting to hear back from him to find out what to do, my next dose isn't until like 9-10pm and I'm still feeling like I did before I took it, stomach upset, aches and pains, sneezy, all the normal withdrawal symptoms. Shouldn't I feel better?
Oh, it was 26 hours after my last norco when I took it and I was already in withdrawal when I took it just like I was suppose to.
That's a perfect amount of time to wait to take the sub.  I'm also on the films and have had them stick to my teeth so I know what you are talking about.  However, because I've been on sub for so long (one year today), I can't tell if it doesn't exactly work or not, but you probably didn't get the full effect of the film.  How many of the strips are you supposed to take a day?  You should feel better, but how many pills were you taking daily?
i posted on your other post about this check that out and it should answer your question and feel free to msg me if you have any questions about this and i will help ya any way i can

Good Luck and Godspeed
ABritt
Abritt I read what you wrote on my other post, thank you, I think you are right, I'm guessing my doctor will tell me to take another.

Anewlife, I am suppose to take one 8mg film twice a day today and tomorrow, and then 1/2 of one film 3 times a day after that until he cuts the dose again next Tuesday. I was taking 16-20 norco 10/325 daily, actually I took them all at once. I don't feel much better at all I'm guessing cuz I swallowed most of it, I'm still feeling dope sick pretty bad. I know we're not doctors, but does that sound like a normal dose of sub for the amount of pills I was taking? I'm guessing the stronger doses are for people who took much stronger drugs (oxy, fentanyl, heroin), norco is pretty small potatos compared to those, but highly addictive none the less. I'm glad I never got my hands on anything stronger! I'm on a small dose of klonopin (benzo) .5 mgs a day, he said that may make the sub not work as well, but I haven't taken it since 6pm yesterday, I can't imagine that little bit would make it not work at all! I have generalized anxiety disorder, ocd, panic disorder, and ptsd so I've been on benzos for 8 years, I used to be on much higher doses but I never abused it. I take a quarter of what I'm prescribed (2 mgs daily), but at one time after having my daughter I was on 4 mgs of xanax a day, after my battle with alcohol my doc and I cut it down and switched to klonopin because I didn't want to be on that kind of medication, but the panic attacks without it are debilitating and I get agoraphobic without it (I have stopped for over a year because of pregnancy and breastfeeding, but it got to where I couldn't leave the house. But I keep cutting the dose as eventually I want more kids.
I guess all I can say is I was taking about 30 - 40 Vicodin and Norcos per day and I started out at 16 mgs. - two 8 mg films twice per day.  If you are allowed to take 2 per day and you don't feel like you took the first one correctly, personally I'd take my other one.  Keep us informed :)
I'm about to take my other one, I'm still feeling very sick at they've paged my doc 3 times in the last 2 /2 hours and I still haven't heard from him and still feel bad.
well doctors usually prescribe a higher dose for the first week or so to get you past the time that you would be in withdrawal from the pain med if you werent taking the suboxone and then cut it back that kinda sounds weird but do ya get what i am sayin

Good Luck and Godspeed
ABritt
I think I understand. I took my other dose for today then my doctor finally called afterwards (after he was paged 4 times but he said he was giving a lecture) and told me to go ahead and take it or take 1/2 now and 1/2 later. I feel MUCH better now. Now I'll be going back to my original thread, thanks for your help guys!