Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
suboxone vs subutex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

suboxone vs subutex

Hi everyone, I have been on suboxene for the past 4 months ans I'm on 3mg and I feel that is not enough and the doctor that was treating me I dont think knows much about substance abuse so I went to see a pchy. that is a specialist on substence abuse and he said that one i was on a too low dose of suboxone and also he change it to subutex 8mg insted of suboxone 3mg, I have not started the subutex yet and i feel weird going up but I do understand why he is doing it cause I keep falling back to the pills.
So my question for the ones that know is it the same thing suboxone and subutex not quimicly but in our point of view? oh and also I suffer from panic attacks and anxity and he put me in xanax 25mg and I though you where not supost to mix them together but he explained why they said no xanax. He is a very well knowen doctor here and in california and I trus him but I will like to hear your point of view.
Thanks.
Suboxone and Subutex have the same opiate drug buprenorphine, but suboxone also has naloxone to prevent injection abuse, it is supposed to cause immediate withdrawal if injected.  Subutex does not have naloxone.  Your doctor probably put you on subutex with a higher dose because you indicated in your post that you "keep going back on the pills".  By doing this and going back and forth on the suboxone at 3 mg, which is an odd dose, obviously something is not working for you because you are still using.  I was on 8mg of suboxone for several years and early on went through some anxiety for about a month.  My doctor also put me on 0.25mg of xanax for a short time and it was fine.  The danger with xanax and suboxone is when the xanax is abused and taken at much higher doses, so I would not recommend doing that.  I guess the question I would ask is do you really want to be clean?  If so, keep working with your doctor, follow his instructions and take the subutex as directed - stay away from the other pills.  Get some other support through an NA meeting or from others on this site.  Take it one day at a time, we are here for you.  Good luck.
How do you take 3mg a day? That's just a very odd dose that would be hard to get correct.
WELL LIKE I SAID I WAS BEING TREATED BY THE WRONG DOCTOR AND HE WANTED ME OFF FAST SO HE KEEP LOWERING MY DOSE SO HE TOLD ME TO GO ON 3MG BUT YES YOU ARE RIGHT IS NOT WORKING CAUSE I KEEP GOING BACK I STARTED TAKING SUBOXONE IN MARCH 08 WAS ON IT FOR 4 MONTHS THEN WENT BACK TO PILLS THEN BACK ON SUB IN 12/08 FOR 2 WEEKS THEN BACK TO PILLS THEN BACK TO SUB ON 01/09 AND BEEN ON IT SINCE THEN BUT 3 MONTHS AGO HAD A BAD ACCIDENT AND THE DOCTOR GAVE ME SOMA AND OF COURSE LIKE IT CAUSE I SUFFER FROM ANXIATY AND MY DOCTOR HAS NEVER TREATED THAT SO THE SOMA HELP, SO NOW THIS DOCTOR GAVE ME SUBUTEX 8MG, XANAX .25MG AND CELEXA SO I REALLY HOPE THIS WILL HELP ME HAVE A NORMAL LIFE WERE I FEEL LIKE I DON'T HAVE TO O BACK TO TAKE A MILLION PILLS TO BE NORMAL, BUT I'M JUST LIKE ANY ADDICT THAT REALLY WANTS TO STOP FAST NOT DOING THE RIGHT THING AND START LOWERING MY DOSE TO TO FAST AND THEN I GO BACK.
What Ga Guy and I are saying is that 3 mg is not an easy dose to calculate.  Suboxone is in 8mg and 2mg  It appears you have 8mg, that would mean that you would have to break the tab into 1/4 and then 1/8 to get 3 mg.  It sounds like you need to draw a line in the sand and start from scratch with what your doctor has prescribed and not alter from it, otherwise you will continue to ride the same roller coaster.  Celexa is an antidepressant and could help with the anxiety.  I don't know if you have other issues you are dealing with, but take one at a time.  There is no quick solution.
THANK YOU TO BOTH, BUT I WAS ON THE 2MG TABS OF SUBOXONE NOT 8MG, NOW THE NEW DR. GAVE ME SUBUTEX 8MG TABS I HAVEN'T PICK IT UP YET CAUSE THE PHARMACY WOUNT DO IT CAUSE IS TO SOON FOR REFILLS CAUSE I GOT MY SUB ON 07/29/09 BUT THIS IS SUBUTEX AND NEW DOSEGE SO I GUESS IT WILL GET STRIGHTEN UP TOMORROW. MY OTHER QUESTION IS I HAVE OF COURSE THE 2MG TABS NOW AND I REALLY FORGET TO TAKE THE 8MG CAUSE HE JUST UP MY DOSE ON FRIDAY SO WHAT DO I DO JUST MAKE SURE I TAKE 2 TOGETHER AM AND 2 PM? I'M JUST CONFUSED BUT YES SALSIATOR YOU ARE RIGHT I NEED TO JUST STAR FRESH ALL TOGETHER AND THE CELEXA WELL HE SAID TO TAKE IT EVERY DAY BUT NOT SURE ABOUT THE XANAX DO YOU TAKE IT EVERY DAY? OMG SORRY GUYS I'M REALLY NOT RETARDED LOL JUST CONFUSED REALLY! LOL
Don't sweat it recovery.  I don't take xanax anymore, I only took it for about a month several years ago.  I would get anxiety in the evenings, but not every day, I only took the xanax when I needed it.  Something you will need to consider is that xanax is addictive too, so you will want to take only as directed and for only as long as your doctor prescribes it.  On the subutex, you should be able to get that filled since it is a different dosage and a different medication, even thought the active ingredient is the same.  If your doctor has prescribed 8mg, then you should be taking that as directed.  Some people take one dose in the morning, just once per day and others take it half in the morning and half at night.  I cannot tell you to take 4 mg suboxone in the morning and 4 at night, but if the pharmacy will not fill the subutex, then you may want to talk with your doctor because he may be able to help you sort out the issue with the pharmacy.  On the Celexa, I have taken antidepressants before, but never really had too much luck with them, as I had some side effects that I did not like.  However, in order for them to work, you must take them every day as directed because they can sometimes take weeks before the theraputic effect will start to take place.  I am here if you have other questions that I can help you with.
You need to follow the directions on the bottle. If it's not specific there, call and ask your doctor. We can't give dosage advice here..we're not experts with this. You also need to take your Sub once daily. Taking it as split doses only encourages the addictive behavior you have.
I agree on the double dose, I took the suboxone only once per day without any problems and now that I am clean, the craving and behavior have never been an issue with me.
I AGREE WITH BOTH AND NOW I'M NOT ASKING YOU GUYS FOR DIRECTIONS ON THE MEDS SORRY, WHAT I WANTED TO SAY IS THAT SINCE I BEEN TAKING ONLY 3MG AND NOW HE WANTS ME ON 8MG IS HARD TO GET IT ON ME CAUSE I HAVE 2MG TABS SO LIKE SAT. FOR EXAMPLE I TOOK 2 TOGETHER AND THEN I THOUGHT LATER IN LIKE 1/2 HOUR I WILL TAKE THE OTHER 2 TABS TO MAKE 8MG BUT I FORGOT CAUSE I REALLY DON'T FEEL LIKE NEED IT
less is better with sub..if u dont need 8 mgs then take what u need to feel ok and stop the cravings..sub is a hard drug to come off of..be safe...share with ur dr and tell him what u need to feel ok and stay away from relapse...hang in there
THAN YOU WORRIED
I dont know if I would jump straight from 2mg to 8mg. I know if I take too much suboxone, I get a terrible headache. I would gradually take more.