Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

suboxone

can i take tramadol for pain while taking suboxone
I don't know I know that they make you stop tramadol 16 to 24 hour before you start sub so I truly am not sure
If youhaven't taken Tramadol, I would highly recommend not using...it has verytough W/D's...also, isn't Subox meant to taper down so you dont take Opiates?

I've never done Sub, so I wouldn't know if it would be bad to mix the two, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Clean up brings up a very good point tramadol is very addictive. I would talk to your doctor about raising your sub a little to help deal with your pain then go back down when you feel better
Really this is something you should be asking your doctor that prescribed the sub I am sure he will help you .
Tramadol will do nothing for your pain while your on sub, although tramadol is not an opiate  it still acts on some of the same receptors as regular opiates. I was having problems with pain while I was on sub and taking a higher dose didnt help the pain at all. So he prescribed me a compounded pharmaceutical gel called neuroderm(KGCL) ketamine,gabapentin,clonidine,lidocaine. Since its compounded there are many different combos of medication that they can use depending on what type of pain you have. The best thing about the gel is that they are all non-addictive, less drug on drug interaction and you can apply it directly to the source of your pain. If you dont have insurance to cover the cost then its probably not worth it because the bottles were $240, luckily all I had to pay was $10 co-pay. Now I havent heard of too many people that have used these gels, but it worked wonders for my pain. So if the pain really is that bad maybe your sub doc would be willing to try it out, my sub doc was the one who recommended it to me. Anyways it may be worth looking into, hope this helps. Take care.
Tyson I have heard good things about the the gel with the ketamine. It is suppsoed to work well.
Yeah it really worked wonders for the aches and pains I had in my hip and knee,but more than anything it helped with the nerve pain I was experiencing. The fact that its non-addictive is wonderful, I dont understand why more doctors recommend before resorting to opiates. Just like any medication its not gonna work for everyone or take away all of the pain, but its always worth a try before going for something that causes dependency.
I wonder if it would help my jaw pain
How much sub are you taking, i started @32mg p/day and honestly it help my pain more than the pain pills, and sub blocks the opiate so you may not want to take it without talking to your dr.
Avatar n tn
Thank u everyone....let me explain a little  i know i should have a sub doc but i dont. I was takings perc and vics for continuous kidney stones and i a taking the sub (non  prescribed) to stop the pills but im still in alot of pain n this is what my doc prescribed  
stop the sub if you start the ultram
My sub doctor who was a complete and utter wacko prescribed tramadol for my pain while under his care.After reading the horror stories of tram w/d on the forum, I brought it to his attention. He told me he took them for years and NEVER EVER had w/d. This doctor  was really a quack. I took a few and they scared me. They did nothing for the pain AT ALL. I think you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire with the trams. My vote is to steer clear of the trams. Just not worth the w/d for such mild relief of pain that some people claim. Be careful! Wishing you the best.

ProdigalGirl
tramadol does not work on the sam exact pathways as true narcotics..altho tram is just as addictive and the pain relief is just not worth the risk of addiction...sub was originally a pain relief med called t- sumpin/before the us brought it in as a wd drug/just as methadone was a pain relief drug originating in germany before the US turned it into a WD drug....sub would have way more pain relieving qualities than tramadol for sure/way stronger so dont risk adding another addictive drug to ur regimen..not now whil u r trying to get clean