Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
subutex vs suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

subutex vs suboxone

ok i have my hubby going to outpatient treatment tommrow.  They have said they use both subutex and suboxone.  what is the difference between the 2 meds?
They use one for the first few days or a week or so. Then the other for the remainder.  I don't know alot, just what I read.
Here is a link to answer your questions:

www.suboxone.com
What are SUBOXONE and SUBUTEX?
SUBOXONE and SUBUTEX are prescription medicines used to treat adults addicted to
opioid (narcotic painkillers) medicines and drugs, such as morphine and heroin. SUBOXONE
and SUBUTEX take the place of these medicines and drugs and may help you stop using and
abusing them. SUBOXONE and SUBUTEX are part of a complete addiction treatment
program that also includes counseling or behavioral therapy.
SUBOXONE and SUBUTEX have not been studied in children.
SUBOXONE is a tablet that contains 2 medicines.
1. The first medicine is called buprenorphine (BYOO-pruh-NOR-feen). It is like painkiller
medicines such as morphine, street drugs like heroin, and addiction treatment medicines
like methadone. Buprenorphine may give you less of a
hubbyshelper, hope this helps too..........

There has been a lot of talk about Subutex and Suboxone
here are some facts about both:

What are Suboxone and Subutex?

Subutex and Suboxone are medications approved for the treatment of opiate dependence. Both medicines contain the active ingredient, buprenorphine hydrochloride, which works to reduce the symptoms of opiate dependence.

Subutex contains only buprenorphine hydrochloride. This formulation was developed as the initial product. The second medication, Suboxone contains an additional ingredient called naloxone to guard against misuse.

Subutex is given during the first few days of treatment, while Suboxone is used during the maintenance phase of treatment.

Yes, Suboxone is the formulation used in the majority of patients.

How are Subutex and Suboxone different from the current treatment options for opiate dependence such as methadone?

Currently opiate dependence treatments like methadone can be dispensed only in a limited number of clinics that specialize in addiction treatment. There are not enough addiction treatment centers to help all patients seeking treatment. Subutex and Suboxone are the first narcotic drugs available under the Drug Abuse Treatment Act (DATA) of 2000 for the treatment of opiate dependence that can be prescribed in a doctor’s office. This change will provide more patients the opportunity to access treatment.

The most common reported side effect of Subutex and Suboxone include:

cold or flu-like symptoms
headaches
sweating
sleeping difficulties
nausea
mood swings.
Like other opioids Subutex and Suboxone have been associated with respiratory depression (difficulty breathing) especially when combined with other depressants.

Are patients able to take home supplies of these medicines?

Yes. Subutex and Suboxone are less tightly controlled than methadone because they have a lower potential for abuse and are less dangerous in an overdose. As patients progress on therapy, their doctor may write a prescription for a take-home supply of the medication.

I hope this will explain both subutex and suboxone
clinicly speaking, as addicts at this site we can share
experiences with both of these drugs....
Hope it helps...
I have been on suboxone 2 different times and both times within days of starting the medication I had major life threatening bleeds the first time I had a GI bleed was very healthy prior to the bleed I was told it was not caused by the suboxone so I continued on it.  I moved out of state and i went off because I had not located a new Dr and so I was off for about 6 months and I found a Dr and went through the induction again for the 2nd time.  Within 4 days of starting I had a brain hemmorage and almost died.  So I gotta ask my self how could it not be the drug and what part of the drug causes unexplained bleeding?  Anyone else have anything like this happen to them and is this medicine really safe?
i have been addicted to oxycotton for 5 years now and when i dont have my oxycotton i feel like crap . im in the bed all day i dont want to get up and do anything, im sick!But when i take suboxone i feel so much better or sometimes i take  methadone and it's like a miracle drug for me i feel normal again like i had never touched a pill i feel like my old self again so thanks for making both!
I have been on suboxone for almost 3 years now, it saved my life. I feel so normal, I don't wake up worried about how many pills I have or how bad I'm going to feel if I run out. My family and I are much happier now that I'm on suboxone!
That's hard.  I just wanted to tell you to google Alanon and phone meetings.  There are a lot of meetings over the phone.  It will help a lot.  I am about to get on one right now.  Big hug.  Marie
Honey, I've been on suboxone for 2 years now, and I have never heard of anything like this happening. Mabey methadone would be more suitable for you. But I have to say that suboxone has been a wonder drug for myself and my husband.The last two years have been the best I've had in over 20 years. This medication has really helped us on our road to recovery.. I hope you have had a full recovery from the hemmorage ,and I wish you the best..