Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
surprise pregnancy, addicted to loratabs. NEED SERIOUS HELP!!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ive just found out I'm pregnant. About 8 wks. I have been addicted to loratabs for 4 yrs. I can't stop due to withdrawals. I am not prescribed. I wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant, so this is a complete surprise. If I stop taking the meds, the withdrawals will harm the baby, but if I continue, without a prescription, I could have my baby taken away. I'm scared to talk to my doc for that reason. I don't want them to take my baby away over an addiction that was caused from another doctor who prescribed the meds to me, without explianing the addictive consequences. I was young, & had NO CLUE about opiate addiction until it was too late. Please help me. I'm desperate, scared, and feel completely helpless. This is a miracle that I'm even pregnant, being I was supposed to be infertile. Now I am, & I'm SO excited. All I want is a healthy baby. I'm feeling like either way I go at thi point will harm my child. I'm willing to taper off with help from my doc, but if I tell my doc about this problem, will he just call social services, & have my baby taken away? I'm a good Christian woman, who just made a stupid mistake. I need advice.  Somebody please help me find an answer.
Hi Annie and welcome to the forum.
We have had many pregnant women here who were addicted to opiates.
Being honest with your doctor is the best thing for both you and your baby.
He can help you to taper without harming your baby.  Doctors have heard this many times before and are not out to do anything but help you.  
Going cold turkey is not recommended as you could lose the baby so you need to work out a safe taper with your doctor.
Best of luck and do not worry about anyone judging you.  Opiates are highly addictive and your doctor will know that and help you.
I agree with Pat.. Talk to your doctor ,now. OB are so helpful during this time.. Their job is to delivery a healthy baby. Since this a miracle baby :), I want to hear about you and her in a year...
Yes, the truth is NOT telling your OB is worse.  That is when you have a problem.  Getting ahead of this now is the best way to help yourself and your baby.  Like Pat said..do not stop as it can hurt the baby.  Even at 2 months...they will feel what you feel if you are in withdrawals.  Take a deep breathe and know that it will work out if you are truthful now.  The doctor wants a good outcome for you and the baby and helping you get clean will do that.  There are women here that have walked the same walk and hopefully will see this and help.  Keep posting and I am so glad you came here to get support and help.