Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tapering down off 30mg methadone a day

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

tapering down off 30mg methadone a day

My husband is on 30mg methadone a day - 10mg every 6 hours.  Whats the best way to taper down with 52 pills left??  What would be a good schedule for him, should he just
Hi..just a couple questions. How long has your husband been on methadone? I would have him cut his pills in 4..and decrease by 1/4 and stay there for a week and see how he is feeling. He could try tapering to 25 mg a day ,stick to it for at least a week and then go down another 5 mg or less..this will catch up with him however because of the way methadone works..it steadily increases in the body and when you start tapering that decrease won't be felt for at least a week...methadone withdrawal is very unpleasnat to say the least but can be done. But..how long he has been on this will make a huge difference. There is no way for him to escape some w/d..and the last mgs will definately be the hardest. Please feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions. I also have some good info in my journal about methadone w/d and detox..it's written by a dr. who was also and addict. I wish your husband all the best.
Get him on this forum for support.  There are many here that went through it.  The encouragement on this forum and of course God holding me up got me clean.
Hi Dear, I to am trying to taper down, I am on 90 mgs daily and am working with my PCP to try and wean down. I am havin a **** of a time. I have been on this darn stuff for a few years and am tired of it running my life. I believe I would rather live with the pain then the anguish(sp?). Even though I am on a taper (which I think is being administered to fast) I have the worst flu symptoms one can ever experiance.. I pray to god, Cry alot, pace alot,  my legs jump and hurtm, my  heart beats so fast I shake all over and some days I feel as though I shall die and I think I am going crazy, I read this forum for support and I find it helps to know that right now, just like me there are people out there doing exactly the same thing I am, feeling the same thing I am and crying just like I am...Tell your husband to be strong. I am on week5 of a wean and am sicker than a dog, but some day it will end and I wil be so proud I have my life back even if my pain is present I will be the one in control, not the pills....stay strong and God bless...Cassie