tapering methadone
Hi friends, has anyone who is either tapering or quitting cold turkey, ever experienced mucus draining down your throat?  Almost to the point that your throat feels as if it is closing off?  I take methadone and am tapering down, but even when I used to take other painkillers and I would stop the same thing would happen.  I drink tons of water, tried benidryl, robitussen, and everything else u can imagine, nothing helps!  It's driving me crazy!  So I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this?  
congratulations on your taper. yes opiates has a tendency to stop everything up. when you stop or taper them it will cause a running nose. it will get better with time. be patient.
Hi atthebeach, thanks for the info, that makes me feel better, god I swear sometimes I start getting a panic attack cuz it feels like my throat is closing off from all the drainage.  So I will do as u say and just be patient!  Have a great day!!!!!! :)
Hi Teri...
There you are!  The mucous is your respiratory system trying to rid itself of the opiates after being suppressed.  There are some great natural ways to help it out.  A Neti-pot (sp?) is a saline solution that you use to flush out your sinus cavities and will help get rid of the gunk so it doesn't drip down your throat. You can get these at a pharmacy or health food store.

Exercise.  Getting your heart pumping and lungs working as much as possible speeds up the process. Plus the natural endorphins are key for your brain recovery.  Also, I do infrared saunas-they really help to sweat out the toxins and speed up the detoxification process.  I own one, but know that they can be found in health clubs, some tanning salons, spas, and some Chinese Medicine Doctors.

Hydrate.  Drink as much fluid as possible.  I swear I put post it notes around reminding me to DRINK MORE WATER.  Also herbal teas like Sleepy time are great and they help to soothe and calm anxiety.

Hope this helps!  Awesome work on your taper girl...I know how difficult it its and I am here to support you....
Lu
Hi Lulu, I've heard of that saline solution but never even thought about trying that!  See- I told you, you always give the best advice!!!!  So I'm going to pick that up today, hope it helps, I'm going crazy!!  Oh, I exercise everyday- love it I think exercise is the answer to everything!  Have a great day Lulu!  Thanks for all your helpful info!  Your friend, Teri :)
Teri I think you may have allergy or possibly picked up a cold lulu gave some good advise but I dont think its the methadone doing it hang in there your almost threw it then you to will be free of its grip keep posting for support your going to need it.......Gnarly