Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
testing positive for opiates

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

testing positive for opiates

I recently took a drug test for a job.  I tested positive for opiates in my urine.  I do not and have never taken drugs of any sort other than alcohol.  I dont take any prescription drugs, how is it possible that this happened.
Tags: Addiction
Ummmm... there is one thing that will cause an opiate positive result....  muffins with poppy seeds.  It will in fact show a false positive.  Ate any of those lately?

Trout
I am a little curious though as to why you would post this question in an addiction forum???
Avatar n tn
I am not sure I am just trying to figure out what is wrong with me.  
i ate a poppy seed sandwitch the day before I delivered my lil gurl and I made them drug test me and it came back fine. Youd have to eat a LOT of em for it to show as an opiate.
would imodium (immodium) make it positive?  I've heard others say it's got some opiate properties.
Avatar n tn
I dont eat poppy seads, that I know of. I wonder if there is any other common food that would give this result
Avatar n tn
I don't take imodium (immodium) either.
could just be a mix up at the lab??? just ask for a retake.
yea immodium does have opiate properties but since he doesnt take that either....ask for a re-test.
Hopefully they will let you take another one.  Sadly, many companies won't bother and will just move to the next candidate.  Depending upon how "skilled" of a position it is. I think anytime a test comes back dirty they should let you retest as long as it's that day.  I would think that if you were really using drugs then 1 day would still show as dirty.  Maybe not if you time it just right and it's a short acting drug...hmm, I'm just rambling.  sorry!  Good luck and let us know what happens.
Weird.... Bettie is right!  You would have to eat like a case of muffins!  :)  Really the only thing outside of an error at the lab that would cause a positive is if you actually were....  I don't get it.  DEMAND a retest...  ABSOLUTELY DEMAND IT!!! Don't let them push you aside and accuse you of something that you are not guilty of!  STAND UP and fight back!  If you're clean then you need to fight this.  Have them take a hair folicle (sp?) sample.  

Unfortunately kyjobj is correct.  Most companies see the piece of paper that says positive and that's it.  There are other sources of "false positives" but they usually come in the way of a mistake from the lab.  

Trout
hey again...I posted in response to the other question...so,...hey, read the other one and it explains that there are lots of these..."false positives"...you could file a lawsuit...I mean, I don't know,...maybe that overboard but if you're clean..I would't let them do that...
Avatar n tn
thanks for all the advice I should have demanded a retest at the time.  They did a quick test at the time and said that for $25 they would send it to a lab.  I took them up on that was that a good idea?
I really do not use opiates in any form.  I do however drink beer, but that should not have any bearing on opiates to my knowledge.  Any more advice.