Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tough luv nothing else left

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

tough luv nothing else left

My son has had heroin addiction for at least 12 years. plus dabbling with pills of all sorts the main damaging 1 valium. Sent him to detox plus implant, implant wore off he relapsed, cost a lot of cash.  2 years later further detox, instant relapse.  Has been on methadone trail for god knows how long.  Unusal thing about my son, he has always been able to work and keep his job, until hey ho he has a what I refer to as a valium bender, he had a bender about 4 years ago and lost his job, not because of. the heroin, but the valium. 4 years on it has happened again. I admit he has had the best of both worlds, a decent clean home, a car, fed, and laundered and loved.  The last bender has been devastating, as he assaulted me, accussing me of disposing of a stash of valium and I have had to kick him out with the help of the police, basically it is a pack of worms and as his mum i feel so abused and worn out. The only thing I have not tried is 'tough love' and this is what is happening now , how do I feel, so sad, tired but I have nothing left to try and it is 'tough'.  
Have noticed that the 'heroin era' is not so fashionable now, thank god! my son is 27 and he has not had any quality of life that he should have done in the best years of his life.
Has anyone here got any comments or experiences they could share with me.
Tags: tough, Addiction, help, TIRED
i'm sorry you havent received any response to your post.   you have posted on the social side of the addiction forum...you will get more responses if you will copy and paste this to the other addiction forum.

i understand how you feel and what you have been going through for all these years.  sounds like you have been through the ringer.

tough love is exactly what you should be doing now.  you have done everything possible to help your son help himself.  now it's time to help yourself...take care of yourself.  as the saying goes...you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

have you ever been to any alanon meetings?  there, you will find others who are in the same situation as you and will find strength through them.
Thanks Lizzie for your response and as and when I find out how to copy and paste, shall definately put my message over to the other addiction forum.

I am also going to google alanon as I do really need some support to keep focused and maintain the "tough love" strategy.

Thanks again
lol...took me a while to figure out how to copy and paste too  :)

i will ask the moderators to move it over there.