Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tramadol withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-220 comments:
I know you don't want to hear this but if you are miserable then the only thing that's going to help is a detox facility then a rehab, that's what I had to do except I was taking 200-300 mg of methadone or OxyContin a day. I have never felt better and no longer feel like I would rather die. Something to consider?
I think it's just your tolerance is already so high from the stronger opiates, at least this is what was true for me. That is until I got clean and hadn't taken any opiates for 8 months then one day took some tramadol and got high, I was very surprised but now I'm paying for like the rest of these folks.
Im not sure if this helps but I'm going through the same thing and have always had depression issues anyway so they just got worse, but i take Zoloft for depression and it has helped with a number of the withdrawal side effects, including fatigue. Some people it may make sleepy but it's rare. It kind of makes me speedy, but not addictive. They even had me on it during both of my pregnancies. If your having trouble sleeping, try. Chlorphenermine, it's an over the counter allergy pill(anti-histamine) do not try Benadryl, it will cause restlessness to the point you will want to scream and cry. Don't know if this helps. But there ya go
I've just found this website when googling tramodol withdrawal symptoms and it's really opened my eyes. Thanks for all your information.
My stepdad is currently battling cancer, one part of which is pressing on his sciatic nerve and causing him a lot of pain. After managing it with paracetamol he has had to move on to prescription medicine, which has been Tramadol for the last three weeks. The pills alleviated the pain and made him feel quite jolly and a lot better about everything. However they've been causing him to have night sweats, to the extreme that he wakes in the night having soaked the bed and ended up dehydrated. His dr decided to suddenly switch him to codeine, which he started last night. My mum rang me this evening worried, as he has spent all day curled on the bathroom floor, in the dark, telling her to keep away as he feels like killing someone (he is a very passive, non-aggressive person in normal life) The dr claims this is not a normal side effect and instructed my mum to go to the chemists to get more Tramadol. When she said this to my stepdad (and i was on the phone when she relayed the information to him) he refused and again told her to 'get the **** away' (again, not his temperament at all)
It seems insane to me that there are so many of you suffering the same symptoms and yet this drug is still being dolled out so casually.
Does anyone have any advice that I can relay to my parents? I feel pretty powerless and this is pretty much my only way of helping. Has anyone taken this drug for a similar amount of time and knows how long it takes to feel 'normal' again?
The whole thing has freaked me out and godknows how my poor stepdad feels.
i have been on tramadol for 4 years, i have been taking 20 pills a day for the past year or two. Gradually worked myslef up to 20, it was 8 then 12 then 16 then 20. I have not had one day in 3 years where i had not had my tramadol. i knew i was addicted but i didnt want to go through withdrawls and i was living my life feeling good everyday so why stop. thiis isnt by choice,i thought i placed an order tuesday online  but it didtn go thru. so i have no tramadol untill monday or tuedsay when it comes in mail. and my script from my doctor isnt able to refill tell wednesday.  i am on day two , this is bad, never been so depressed and anxious,diahreah, sweating alot but freezing cold. havent slept since wednesday, cant stop crying. cant explain the emptiness i feel. Now reading on here i may  have a seizure.  what can i do to ease the symptoms and prevent a seizure. no one knows about this, i am balling and my husband thinks i am pms'ing.  if you saw me you  would never think i would be a drug addict, i have a little boy who ismy life and i am trying to be a goood mom today but this  is so  hard. i have just been pacing the house  all day sweating and freezing .  i even tried getting tramadol   for mydog today  (he has had it inthe past)  i have run out of stories to tell my doctor on why i need the tramadol early.  i stole  a few vicodin  frommy mom but those didnt help.  i am desperate  but wont goto the ER.   my granpa is in hospice care and lives two hours away, i was going to drive there in the morning to get someof his pain meds.  this is insane , its not me.  i dont know what todo.  alcohol only depresses me more.  most sleepingpills dont work.  advice  please??  

adderall (adderrall) will help with depression but is also a problem if often takin im tryin
a six day steriod pack for my restless legs hope this works my withdrawls are from very small bits n pices of suboxone so i thought four tramadal a day would help it made the withdrawl (withdrawal) last longer 3 hrs a sleep anight n restless legs no depression this tme with adderall (adderrall) but addicting if takin to long God bless
Hi every one I've been fighting addiction to pills a long time doing good now the hardest thing for me was that i felt really bad and that i could feel better by just a phone call away u really got to say to your self im going to quit.  My brother just recently got on herion and i knew if i couldn't make a change in my self  that i wouldn't be able to help him. Trying to getout from under something as powerful as pills is a hard thing to do.  But keep trying things will get better as time goes on. I hope my story helps someone  cuz being under a addiction is no way to live enjoy life and keep up the good work
HI Justalittlebitmore, Just wanted you to know that this is a really old post but if you want to post on your own thread we would all be happy to hear your story, give support/advice. From what I can tell, it looks like your clean and sober now?? Is that true? If so great job! So sorry about your Brother, and I hope he will realize one day how important his life is and take control of it again.

Best of luck to you!
Am I addicted to tramadol?I  only had for just under a couple of months 2 in the morning I don't have them for a high but to get me through the day reasonably relaxed.antidepressants never worked and when I took these I seemed to have an immediate effect.now when I wake in morning until I take the tramadol I feel like death so groggy and stumbling all over about an hour after taking tramadol im a llt better now im really worried I will have to take them every morning and what will I be like if I can't.
I need help... please. I have been addicted to tramadol for almost 4 years now. I have been taking 15-20 pills a day for the last year or two and I have finally decided enough is enough and I am done with this crap.

I tried to give up cold turkey  for the first time yesterday, but after 19 hours I could not go any longer and gave in. Given my HUGE dependance on it I have a feeling I am going to have to taper off of it.

The worst part of dealing with all of this is the depression/anxiety. I feel like the most WORTHLESS person in the world right now. My parents, dog, and family mean the world to me and I feel like I have let them down in the most ridiculous way possible. At my lowest of lows I feel like they are the people who I really need around me. However, I can not tell them, it would crush them. They have been the most loving and supportive people I can imagine and telling them this would absolutely hurt them and worry them beyond anything imaginable and I can not do that to them. I need help, please, somebody!
   I have been an addict to pills for the last three years straight. I have taken Methadone,Hydrocodone,Percocet,Vicodin,Morphine and good ol' Tramadol, you know the one the professionals say you can not become addicted to. I am not going to go into my addiction, I am only going to tell you how i got off of them on my own without the help from any dr. or pharmacist, just myself,God and Jesus Christ. If any of you are taking anything stronger than Tramadol I urge you NOT to stop cold turkey. i tried pyramiding methadone down to 2.5 mg a day and then quiting and it was hell times 5. if it is at all possible get yourself some 50mg tramadols and pyramid those. there is no way to come off of these devil pills side effect free.The last day i took trams i swallowed 325 mg in 2hrs just to finish off the bottle. if you can dump them down the toilet then do so, but DO NOT KEEP ANY AVAILABLE TO YOU.....NONE!!!!! after you do so you need to be ready to sweat off and on, get the chills off and on, ache all the time and never find comfort, you will cry like you have lost something very dear to you, it is very emotional. you will have stomach aches and diarhea (diarrhea). you will have vertigo and diziness(this is what lasted the longest for me,6 days) most everything else was gone by the 4th and 5th days. i feel so good again!!!! this is not easy, but you will get through it. when you decide to go for it then do exactly that......DO IT !!! you will succeed.
          For anyone interested in my past addiction here is a little insight. i have compressed discs in my lower back so they put me on hydros and man was that great!!! it helped the pain and took away my anxiety and gave me energy to do things. i was on top of the world. then a friend introed me to methadone and they were good but didnt give me the same up that the hydros did. Next i got my hands on Perks and wow those rocked but were out of my system quick and too hard to find so i went back to hydro 10's.... i was taking up to 25 a day just trying to get that same feeling back that i used to feel from 1. I knew i was out of control and it was time to stop. i got my hands on a prescript of trams cause they stop the withdrawals from other pills and you dont become dependant.....atleast thats what the professional know nothings say. I am guessing i had takin 5,0000 trams in a 1 year period and then they just stopped being available. other norcos were available but there was no way in heck i was going back up to something stronger and allowing it to get a tighter grip on me again. so that is when i swallowed my last 6 and a half trams.I am on my 5th day and i am not 100% but i do feel normal again. If i did it you can do it! just dont give up and dont give yourself a way out if it gets too tough. stay busy with movies, excercise bikes, tread mills, hot baths, sleep aids and alot of fluids !! you will make it and God be with you!!
Hey, totally agree with the timing...I think it's largely due to the amount and time you were taking.  Just for some encouragement to others, I have been on a really high dose for a long time (1000-1500mgs/day for 5 years), and in day 9 of my c/t WD.  Am following the Thomas Recipe except for the Valium, and have had the first glimpses today of real true clarity of thought...and have even seen glimpses of my old ambition and drive.  But just for small moments....the fatigue and malaise comes back.  Actually got out to shovel snow today for the first time, and made spaghetti...a real milestone to the otherwise days of lying on the couch watching Bravo TV reruns!  Gotta take each baby step forward as a huge milestone in the right direction.  I will not let this take any more if my life....I want me back!
hello - I read your post and want to offer you some support.  I too was on very high doses of Tramadol (up to 40 pills a day).  I started off over 14 years ago taking 2 or 4 per day for back pain and it just spiraled out of control.  My story is long w/lots of twists, but for now just want to say that I can totally relate to where you are.  I also did a cold turkey w/d on Dec. 1st.  I promise you - it will get a little better every day.  I am at about 2 months clean now and still have the energy/emotional issues that come and go.  I'm sure you have heard/read about PAWS, which we will have to deal with for some months ahead.  It is still WAY better than living a lie, in a fog, a slave to these pills.  Good luck, stick with it - it will be the best thing you ever do for yourself and anyone that loves/cares for you.  

And - love that Bravo too; don't know what I'd do without that and HGTV!!!
Thanks FourJays!  Couldn't have gotten through the long sleepless nights without the support and encouragement of people like you and this forum.  Kept reading through it in the middle of the night through the worst parts.  Still have to face the tedium of long time ahead with the lack of energy and malaise but with help from folks like you, I know what to expect and am armed!!!!!  I will see this through....baby steps, and you're right....HGTV!  Unfortunately, I will also have a lot of rebuilding of relationships after this too...I have not been myself for at least the past year or two and my friends and family noticed...so I, in my fog, shut most f them out.  That is going to be one of the hardest things to do, but better there than in the horrible fog of tramadol addiction.  I really appreciate your encouragement.  Lets both keep this up!!!
Ah yes, the long lost friendships.  That is another one of those things that seems to be SO common here.  I had the greatest life, full of friends in my neighborhood, my daughters' friends moms and college friends.  I have started on the rebuilding process, but it is rough.  I know that some of them, while not necessarily knowing exactly why I drifted away, have kinda lost faith in me.  I guess I turned down one too many invites and just allowed myself to lose touch (because I'd much rather sit around at home stoned out on Tramadol).  But I am working on it and I know it is an important part of the recovery process.  Friends and family are SO important in our life and I intend on repairing (or at least attempting to repair) every relationship that I blew.  A good friend recently gave me this quote that I think is so appropriate here . . . "at any given moment you have the power to say this is NOT how the story is going to end" (author unknown).  My story WILL end how I want it to, full of life and friends and family all around me.  Hang in there girl, we will get through this!
Julie
I am in the same boat. I have been taking 13-20 50mg a day. Recently I ran out due to a non shipment from the company I order from. So I was forced into this withdrawal. I have 4 pills left and I have been stretching them as far as I can. As soon as my shipment comes in, i am going to try my best to get off of this slowly. cold turkey is too hard. I don't know if I will have seizures or not. But I have the cold sweats, shakes, muscle and joint aches, migraines, and stomach issues. That is just the physical side. I'm very emotional, depressed, and all I want to do is sleep. I'm taking hydro codeine right now to help but it's not doing much.
I have been on tramadol for almost 10 years. It started when I injured my knee at work. The doctor prescribed me the tramadol and I was taking one 50 mg pill a day for a long time. Over the years I have become tolerant to the stuff so therefore I need to take more so I don't start feeling the withdrawals. I do not need this pain medication for pain anymore. I need it to function from day to day. I am so tired of worrying about ordering more and running out. Also the financial burden in has caused. I am at the end of my ropes with this stuff and I just don't have the will powler to stop. I want to more than anything in this world. I am married and have two little boys that keep me busy. When I am in withdraws, I am useless. I feel I need this medication to just do the every day tasks. Not to mention I am a housekeeper for a company and I work 5 days a week. Tramadol gives me the energy I need to get through my physically demanding job and life.
I hate this stuff. I would highly suggest NEVER take this medication. There's so many other things out there.
If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it very much.
Hi and welcome. The thread you posted on is very old. You might want to start a new thread with what you posted above, I feel for you in your situation. I started rationing doses while stuck between shipments and that is what gave me the impetus to start tapering and eventually quitting. It's horrible, being on the Tramadol train and being terrified that a shipment won't arrive in time. I did not take as much as you, I was at 10-12 per day for about a year. But I managed to quit and so can you. I did a fast taper (8 for a week, then 5, then 3, then jump, I think...can't exactly recall. But I feathered in some hydrocodone once I was at 5, and took them for 16 days after stopping the Tramadol, so that I could go through some of the Tramadol withdrawals with a buffer. Some people do this with Kratom, or both, as the original poster did. I can't say what you should do, it's a slippery slope when you introduce another addictive substance to quit the original one. That's why the Thomas Recipe for detox no longer recommends Valium  for sleep.

There is a wealth of information out there on what has helped others, from the Thomas Recipe (listed on this site somewhere) to individual experiences. My experience up to a point is on a thread called  "Trying to Quit Tramadol". You can see what I set out intending to do and how it morphed into something else, but I eventually got free. I'm 31 days off Tramadol, 15 days off the hydrocodone that I used to quit the Tramadol. I still have sleepless nights here and there but with the help of over-the-counter sleep aids, I get through ok. It's so much better on this side of things.

One other thing: I have found definite relief with a supplement called Rhodiola. It helps my energy level and resiliency under stress. I think it's worth a try for anyone in WDs, as it is an ancient herb, non-addicting, and it seems well tolerated by the masses. Astronauts and athletes use it, and if there's any group of people who are lost in space and enduring a triathlon, it is we who are in withdrawals!
I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms and you may not even believe how long and how much of this drug I have been taking. Ready for it? One 37.5mg pill per day for the past two or three weeks. That's it.

I stopped taking it and thought I had a cold or something. Tired, sweating, anxious, not sleeping, and feeling like crap.

Wow, and 'they' say there are no withdrawal symptoms..???
Ya, that's what they say . . . . but they are wrong, very wrong.  Good thing you were not on them long and/or at high amounts.  And best thing - you are OFF them (right?).  The withdrawal symptoms should only last a few days and you should be fine (if this is all you were on for such a short time).  See the 'Thomas Recipe' (links on this site) for ideas of remedies that can help ease some of the symptoms for you, stay hydrated and be sure to eat healthy.  You are one of the lucky ones to 'catch on' to this drug so quickly and to escape!  Hang in there . . . . you will feel better soon.
I was encouraged to read these recent posts.  I thought I was the only person in the world who would gulp down 15 trams at atime 3x a day.  I've been doing it in secret for 1.5 years and I simply cannot stand it anymore.  I heard kratom can hep with withdrawl (withdrawal).  I have enough tramadol for a few days and then thats it, but I ordered kratom.  Thank you to all of you who have helped to encourage me and helped me not to feel so ashamed.
Don't be ashamed...many of us got there with the best of intentions...a lot of us after accidents and injuries and it just escalated.  Myself, I was taking about 30-40 a day at the height, and I quit cold turkey Jan 25, with no Kratom, benzoz or anything but herbal supplements, vitamin water and eating right.  Can't say it's any picnic, but it is so worth getting out of the fog and at day 33, the fog is lifting and I now an just  struggling a bit with my energy level.   Nice not to hide the slamming down of wads of pills...worrying that people know you are not yourself when they talk to you and you have this blank expression because you're really not listening and won't remember what they said 10 minutes later anyways.  Believe me, it's great to have your mind back (although will still take more time for my brain's short-term memory to completely heal and get back to where it was), that whatever those first days of WD are like, it's sooo worth it in the end.  Look up the Thomas Recipe and prep yourself.  Also lots of previous things on here about Kratom, but eventually you'll need to just jump off and get rid if everything.  For me, I did not want to delay the inevitable, so just did it.
I am ticked off. I was never told this was a controlled substance. 2 weeks ago I went to renew my med and I was informed that I now needed a triple script. I have severe pain and take cymbalta and oxycodone. So i decided I would stop taking my 300 mg a day for the first time in six months. OMG!!! it is 8 days and I feel like I have been hit by a truck. every day since i stopped taking it I have experienced insomnia and sweating. Now I am suffering from aches,pains,headaches,sweats,chills,agression,depression and flu like symptoms. IF YOU CAN stay away from this crap. NOthing like I have ever experiened in my life and I am 43. YEs, it did work but the long term cost IS NOT worth it. I hve upped my fluids, vitamins, tryosine and vitam b's good luck to us all.
Yes, as you can see, many of us have fallen into the Tram trap.  I am so glad you figured it out and have been able to get away from it.  I battled with this monster for 15 years - it stole MANY things from me.  But I found my way out and it looks like you have as well.  It sounds like you have all the right remedies to help get through the ugly withdrawals, and at 8 days you should start feeling better very soon.  Keep posting if you have any questions or comments - we all learn from each other's experiences; that is why this place is so great.  If you do want to post more on this it would be best to start a new thread - this one is pretty old and wont get viewed as much.  Just got to the orange box and click on "Post a question" . . . this will start a new thread and you will get more responses from more people.  In any case . . . congrats on getting of the trams . . . .probably the best decision you ever made!!!  Good luck :)
Thank you so much for your reply. I was so mad reading all these posts I couldn't help but respond. We have all been lied too. It was labeled a non narcotic, but highly addictive and many of us never knew. I feel like absolute garbage. I have so any back issues and I am awaiting surgery. I would rather suffer in pain then go through this withdrawl (withdrawal) again. Never again. This is a great community. We can all make it through. Best of Luck to you too.
Hi there,

My most recent blood test revealed that I had a liver enzyme AST level of 115. (Normal is 10-40 as I'm sure you know). I'm in perfect physical shape (or at least I was), but I've been taking 2 trams a day for OCD treatment for years. Quite often I'll have a couple glasses of wine while on it. I've never experienced any pain from it, so I was shocked when I was told that it might be destroying my liver. I saw your post about the docs suggesting your increased liver enzymes were due to the tram. Did they determine that that was the root of the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Eddie
Tramadol metabolizes in the body as morphine as does heroin. In the sad days after my young son died, I leaned on sniffing heroin to ease the pain, which it does well. It was expensive so it was time to stop. Tramadol to the rescue. For my bodys' chemistry 6 to 8 (50mg) tablets a day kept the horrors away and I could sleep a little. During the time I was using Tramadol, someone offered me a line of unadulterated light brown smack.Tried it but couldn't feel it while the others were being ill.
Point is, Tramadol can help getting off H. but it has it's own claws to bury in your back. Beware of using Tramadol for any extended time. Best Wishes,BL
If there is an evil in the world it indeed lurks under the cap of 50mg Tramadol tablets for pain. I injured my lower back a few weeks ago and was prescribed Tramadol for the pain fronted as a non narcotic way to treat the issue. At any rate I consumed 300 mg per day for 12 days and quit cold turkey because I was feeling better or so I thought. All I can say is that the sudden withdrawal from this medicine was pure hell. Here are a few of its lovely symptoms beginning on a Friday and lasting until the following Wednesday: High heart rate for 5 days, night sweats followed by chills, extreme sadness, extreme depression, high anxiety, no appetite and no sleep whatsoever. I checked myself into the Hospital emergency ward because I though my heart would explode. After being released I went and seen my doctor who was of course book up solid. So I drove myself out there and sat near his office waiting for a cancellation it was that bad!
I had been off an SSRI Paxil for 6 months and promptly got started on them again. I was also put on Ativan for a couple weeks for the anxiety to pass.
Tramadol is a particularly wicked pain killer to come off despite the common belief that it is a low level Opiate with no withdrawal symptoms. This drug is an atypical pain killer that targets some wicked brain chemicals that you don't want to screw up. Trust me, see a Doctor immediately and be monitored in your withdrawal. There is no other safe way. I will never take this prescribed medicine again period! God bless you in your journey, for out of the darkness and desolation of withdrawal you will see and be embraced by the light and love all around you very soon.
There is nothing more I can say here except that I wish I could have read this 15 years ago.  Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on getting free of this med  (which I personally consider to be a proverbial "wolf in sheep's clothing").  Hope you feel better very soon.
Julie
Tramadol is an evil drug with a horrible withdrawal.

One part of my withdrawal was to add Effexor to the mix. Tramadol and Effexor are very close, only no narcotic with Effexor. But the worst part of the withdrawal is because it's an SNRI anti-depressant, not that strong of narcotic.

I started on 75 mg, then kept going down little by little. Jumped off the Effexor at somewhere between 12 and 20 mg. It will really help the evil pill's withdrawal!
I am trying to get off of tramadol for the 3rd time. It was prescribed to me 5 years ago for fibromyalgia. Both my Neurologist & GP insist that withdrawel is "nothing"! I really fear that I am losing my mind!!! The pain, spasms, insomnia and the rest of the horrible side effects of withdrawel feels like death without an end!!!!
Thank You FourJays for your kind response. May your soul be wrapped with the Love of the Divine and be filled with wonder and joy in your every endeavor.
Just came across your post while doing research on tramadol  withdrawal. I have experience with kratom and tramadol withdrawal in the past, but unfortunately I would use these two things at the same time.  I am wondering on how you are doing  with just using kratom, because to be quite honest, I havent used kratom in 5 days today and it feels worse than the tramadol withdrawal. BTW, I have not used tramadol in a few weeks and was not on a high dose (300 mg) prn, daily.  The withdrawal was there, but not like this.  Just wondering if you are still  using this god forsaken plant? and if not, how long until my body doesn't feel like this.
Ross
You sound like such a beautiful person. I have read a lot of these stories because I have been on tramadol for some years too. But your story really touhed my heart. I have wanted to quit for so long but just cannot make it through the burnng stinging feelings under my skin, the restless arm and leg syndrome. Feeling so tired and exhausted, unable to sleep, severe depression, stomach discomfort, loss of appitite and the works. I really feel what you feel. and like you, no one in my family knows the hell I go through. In my state I can no longer order them online and the doctors will only give 1 perscription of 60 per month. My prescription only last about 2 1/2 weeks and as soon as I get down to 8 or 10 pills, I get panicy and scared. Cant stop thinking about when I am going to run out. Like you I try to chase them down. the longest I have been able to go without them is 8 days, but unlike some of the testimonies on here, I am still suffering from all the withdrawel symptons. I read several stories where people claim to go through the worst from 3 to 5 days. Just reading a lot of these stories scares me because I am wondering why I dont feel some relief after 8 days.
ive just started taking this drug and i feel crap shakes cant focus my job is driving for aliving and i feel crap
Laura,
My name is John and I have been taking Tramadol for about 3 years. I had back surgery about a year ago to replace a bad disc.  Prior to and after the surgery I was prescribed Percocet and Valium; I took these for about 1 month before and one month after the surgery; I had no problem stopping either one during my recovery.  My doctor informed me a few days ago that he would no longer fill my prescription, and now I feel like hell ( a sudden stopping of Tramadol).  I figure since I am not going to be give a script for it I might as well try to get off of it, and it *****!!!  I never expected to feel the way I do after only taking 2 50mg tabs a day, as you said before.  The sad thing is I feel helpless and would not wish this on anyone.  In fact I said earlier today I would rather have my back pain back then be going through this....any thoughts??  Thank you for sharing and reading.
Laura,
I'm so glad I found this page. I have only been on 2 50mg tablets a day for 3 weeks. Yesterday I decided not to take my pills because I am going on vacation and I wanted to be sure I didn't run out while I was away. Last night I couldn't figure out  the uncomfortable spasms and insomnia, Really  not usual for me. This was my first prescription drug. I thought about possible withdrawals systems  from one day of abstaining. Could it be possible? I googled this page. I'm done with them except in case of emergency.. 4-5 hours of withdrawal was crazy for me.
I was on methadone for 7 and a 1/2 years,80 mg a day, took 3 months of hydrocodone tapering to beat it,was injured at work a year ago thought I was safe with tramadol, 100mg every 4 hours for a year, theres no difference in the withdraws that I can tell , except it wont take three months to get out of your system before you begin to get better.
  Methadone should be illegal.  And Tramadol should be prescribed with a WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I too have suffered like you.  I was able to detox without bad side effects by using strong marijuana butter and some kava each day.  Also you need to eat LOTS of many different fruits and vegetables... all colors...EVERY day munch out... pig out on fruit and raw vegies.  Drink LOTS of water too... at least a half gallon (even better a gallon) per day.  Talk to a nutritionist!  Also, get your 215 so you are not breaking the law.

If you take too big of a dose of butter you may hallucinate, experience scary disorientation.  Just lay down, relax and go to sleep if you can... in a few hours it will pass and you can adjust your butter dose down a bit.  I was eating English muffins dipped in butter, at first 3 to 5 a day.  After  while, because of the taste, I preferred to swallow butter in its hard state, right out of the fridge, cutting small pieces the same size and swallowing like a big pill.  This allowed me to gain a sense of marijuana butter-dosage.

After a few weeks you should carefully taper off the marijuana butter!  Side effects of eating too much or eating a daily dose over time, even small, can cause confusion and forgetfulness (marijuana psychosis).  Eat a little less each day--easy to tapper off when ingested.  By the way, smoking marijuana rather than ingesting it is different and will not help your detox!  I believe smoking pot is more addictive and will damage your lungs.  It is also much more expensive to smoke.   You don't need expensive pot to make butter.  Second rate or bud-trim makes very strong butter and costs much less!

By the way, when every you tapper off something, you should talk small steps, every one or two weeks... however, the diet I sugest allowed me to quit a oxycodone, vicodine 7.5,  and Tylenol 4  addiction cold turkey... I was clumsy at first, but as long as I ate more butter, and healthy fruits and vegies when I felt withdraw just a little, I got off pills in a very comfortable fashion.
Hi all,
I am a breast cance survivor and was prescribed tramadol to help ease joint pain from cancer meds. I only took 100mgs at night for sleep. I never abused them at all. I he been on them for 2years. I decided to get off when I read that "dry mouth" was a side effect of any pain med, including tramadol. I have been dealing with that too. I tapered and then went cold turkey. I am on day 5 and it is better. The worst is insomnia and restless leg. I will try the sleep aids from the health food store and melatonin. I pray every day that this will be the last day of misery. To me, it was almost as bad as dealing with all the chemo I was given.
Thank you all,for your inspirational words.
Your not alone here,,,,,,,I've been taking 700 to 800 mg a day for years...its easy for me to get because I live close to Mexico where its legal. I REALLY want to quit,,,,,,have tried a few times but the withdrawls were too much for me to handle.....I feel stuck in a very dark place,,,,,,,,I know how you feel......where can we find help?

JTS
Thank you! I needed to hear this.
Thank you.. I needed to hear this!. I helped me tremendously.
I went through all these withdrawals as well.  These are the things that helped me.  For depression:  NIACIN non flush (take double dose),  For Diarrhea:  Immodium Liquid not tablets, For anxiety:  Try to find some Clonzapem or Xanax but be careful they are addictive, To Sleep:  Sleeping pills.  Watch a lot of comedy TV, Walk no matter how you feel do some walking.  EAT!!!  I know you will not feel like eating but it is very important.  No matter how little the food but EAT.  Also, take a hot shower 2-3 times a day.  I hope this helps, it's what helped me.  Good Luck Everyone!
Like you said just do a real slow taper, you may even have to get some more tram to complete the taper, but do it very slow or your body will quickly realize that its not getting its daily fix   , I am just starting to taper off a 800 mg a day habit , so ill let you know how its going if you like?
After taking a relatively small dose (50mg) of tramadol 3 times daily for approx 3 1/2 yrs I had relocated to another state and changed healthcare providers. Being new to the area I chose pretty much at random from the limited providers in the area and, unfortunately, wound up with an inept moron as a primary care provider.

Now I'm 64 yrs old and not in the best of health and I've run into some pretty low quality doctors in my time but this guy beat anything I've ever seen. Anyhow, long story short, after a couple of months of struggling just to stay current on my meds (I take several regularly) he pushed me beyond the limits of my patience and I wound up with no provider and no way to get my meds.

Side Note: If you're in the area of Athens, Tennessee his name is Kevin Dansby.  Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this guy.

Naturally when I fired him he immediately cancelled all my Rx. At that time, I had zero tramadol in my possession and every new provider I've spoken to refused to provide tramadol as treatment for arthritis so the decision was pretty much made for me to stop, cold turkey. At that time, I had no clue how hard it would be.

Step one: The psychological effect of knowing that I was addicted to this med and unable to obtain it was pretty much overwhelming. Although I consider myself a strong minded man, the anticipation of withdrawal was foremost in my mind and seemed to be inescapable. Anxiety would be a mild description. Even after researching and becoming more aware of what I was in for, I was still unsure what to expect as there are so many symptoms which vary individually, thus adding to the anticipation.

Step two: Flu like symptoms. Starting at day two, sinus and chest congestion, headache, nausea, overall body-ache that lasted about 5 to 6 days.

Step three: Insomnia. For lack of a better term, absolutely unable to even lay still, much less sleep. Coupled with the lack of sleep comes lethargy and mild confusion along with many other aspects associated with sleep deprivation alone. This for me was the worst part of the entire experience. My entire body was like a wound up spring just waiting to be released. I cannot say how long this will last as it is still with me today, on day ten.

Step four: Diminished motor skills. Seemingly unable to coordinate simple movements that required the use of both hands at once or similar tasks, I would find myself staring at my hand almost willing it to move. This lasted about a week.

Step five: Nausea/diarrhea. Although I was nauseated to the point of not wanting to eat, I seemed to crave sweets, any sweets no matter what the form and I have never been a fan sweets or snacking. Stay close to a restroom.

Step six: Temper, temper! I have never been a very aggressive person without provocation but I seemed to be hovering on the edge of explosion with even the slightest irritation. I managed to subdue this with the help and understanding of a very loving wife, but it lasted for a week or so.

Step seven: This is my day ten and although I am writing this at 2:30 am due to the ongoing lack of ability to sleep, for the most part things are smoothing out and I consider myself lucky with the understanding that it could have been much worse. So what is next?...Now I have to face the fact that I still have arthritis and that it must be treated and that any med that is effective enough to relieve the pain is addicting. So where do I go from here?
I hope you're past this. But your obviously not alone. It took me seeing how a family members addiction was causing enormous an devastating pain in everyone around them, for me to finally after years of abuse, to stop. We all lie to ourselves and say it doesn't effect them and that they don't know. But we never fool anyone but ourselves. And we scourge our families with our selfish abuse.
I don't want you to feel shame. Shame is counterproductive and won't help them or you. Just think what you'd do, the lengths you'd go to, if someone was hurting your family. Then this isn't such the monster we create in our heads. Fight. Because it's your enemy and because you're it's slave. Fight for those people you love that you're causing pain in. Fight because if you don't you'll fade away from everyone, including yourself. God bless you with His strength, in Jesus's name.
Viewing 201-220 comments: