tramadol
I'm confused about everything I've been hearing about tramadol (Ultram).  I understand that it should be used with caution (or not used at all) amongst abuse-prone individuals, but the other info I've seen seems contradictive.  I've seen some treatment centers advertise that they use tramadol to help with opiate withdrawal, yet I've also read that taking tramadol during opiate withdrawal can INCREASE withdrawal symptoms.  Can someone set me straight on this?  Thanks in advance.
It's hard to tell, fishpro619. Most people say that tramadol alleviates withdrawal from opioids. I know that other opioids relieve withdrawal from tramadol. Or at least for a couple of a hours. A lot of people find that tramadol keeps opioid withdrawal away for hours on end.

You must be warned. Tramadol causes dependency as well. Similar to the opioid AND anti-depressant type. Withdrawal from tramadol is in some cases worse than with opioids because of this. Don't believe me? Look it up. You'll find something.
Hello i have been using tramadol so that i may stop taking codine ibuprofen tablets. I initially started taking them to stop migraine headaches but the headaches stopped a while ago.
I was used to taking the tablets for a long time and the tranquil effects were encouraging me to take more of them.
I ended up taking 3 boxes in a day at one point - over 90 tablets with 12mg codine each and 500mg of ibuprofen.
I was getting stomach pains as well as being very dependent on them and they were costing me allot to buy from the chemist as well.
I managed to cut down to 48 tablets a day which was 2 boxes but my health was starting to suffer due to them.
I went to see my doctor and he prescribed me with tramadol 50mg tablets.
At first i managed to cut the other tablets down to a box of 24 before hand and when the doc gave me the tramadol i took 10 in a day at first and i suffered some withdrawal for about a week of taking them but they helped me to overcome it better.
Now i have managed to get down to 3 a day - one for morning, one in the afternoon, and one before sleep.
They have helped me allot - i am hoping my doctor can give me some more at a lower dose because i still find them hard to stop.
I would not recomend drug taking to anyone and if you do get migraines it is better to get some other treatment because opiates or tramadol are adictive.
I am ok now but i do want to quit the 3 a day that i still take.
HELLO this is pretty much the greatest website ever!!!  Ok so I was hit by a damn car and have had to take percs for the last two years.  as you can probably guess I now have a huge tolerance.  If I don't have them I feel like absolutely awful.  I don't want to live like this.  But the back pain is actually worse if not equal to the withdrawal.  I was given Ultram or Tramadol and it seems to help.  It even seems to reduce the withdrawal except I am still sweaty.  But whatever.  I haven't gone this long without a perc for almost a year.  Why can't the doctors fix me???  I don't want to take Ultram any longer either.  In a perfect world I wouldn't end up having a huge tolerance to the percs...  Or maybe there would be a doctor that could actually fix me!!!  Anyone have any ideas???  Is there anything I can do to be normal?  Or do I have to just tough it out?  
I just want to add, STAY STRONG PEOPLE!!!!!  
this is a very old thread but I have to tell you and anyone else that will listen.... TRAMADOL WITHDRAWAL is worse then any oxycottin or heroin withdrawal I have ever seen. If they use tramadol to help with opiate withdrawal... what do they do to help with tramadol withdrawal. Tramadol IS NOT A MIRICAL PILL. They want to use the weissmann treatment on me for my withdrawal of tramadol which is the same as heroin and other opiods. In my opninion dont start. There really needs to be a class action law suit against the producers of this Mirical Pill named tramadol saying how its not addictive and selling it without prescription over the internet.
I have a question if anyone could help me out it would be wondeful. I just got out of rehab at the end of december and was clean for 13 days. On new years day I woke up in horrible pain in my back to the point I could not dress myself or barely walk. I have had 3 back surgeries and 2 in the past year the 3rd being major surgery with rods being put in my back, after all these problems I became addicted to vics and norco. Anyway on new years day I went to the hospital and they gave me a script for 5/500 mgs of vics only 12. I took only one to 2 a day and was on them for 8 days. My question is, is it possible that I will go through withdrawal again from taking them only for 8 days?
You mentioned being addicted to tramadol/ultram.  My advice is to get the hell off it as soon as possible. My husband and I are both addicted to it and would do anything to avoid its withdraws. They are what I would describe as hideous and very long lasting.  We got vicodin to help us come down off the tramadol because we're sick and tired of being controlled.  The withdraws from vicodin is tremendously more pleasant than coming off tramadol. Its half life is way longer than vicodin.  If you can, get off it, do.

I can only speak for me and my husband.  The withdraws from tramadol is cruel and unusual. Rage, nervousness, at least one solid week of no sleep. I get restless leg syndrome to the umpth degree. Writhing around constantly tossing and turning. Being shocked awake every five minutes so when you wake up you feel like you've not rested. Crying easily, lots of anger. It's like you've  slipped into the 7th circle of hell. The worst is feeling your heart pound just walking into the next room but THE worst of all is that it screws up your temperature centers in your body. We refer to it as a wicked drug. You go extremely hot one minute and then freezing cold the next.

The slightest movement causes your skin to crawl from head to toe whilst you're in a cold sweat. Constantly throwing the covers off and on. It's a living nightmare. The slightest noise shocks your nervous system because your nerves are completely frayed.

The point is, while this drug is non-narcotic, it's every bit...no, it's WORSE than narcotic withdraw because it lasts and lasts far longer than say, vicodin or other breakthrough pain meds.

If you've never taken it, DON'Tand if you're on it, step down gently and slowly!  And if you have to be on it, DON'T abuse it!  Follow the script precisely or take less tgan prescribed. Don't let your body become dependent on it. It's truly one wicked and highly addictive drug and I'm sorry I ever tried it.  
Hi, i'm 23 and have had trouble sleeping ever since my honours year at university. I have restless leg syndrome (look it up... it *****) and although people say it's psychological, it still stops me sleeping. My mother takes tramadol for pain, but i've read that it's also prescribed for restless leg syndrome, so i started taking 100-150mg per night and it really helps...

It's scary what i'm reading here though... Can you still become dependent on the dose i'm on?
Yes you can!  This is an old thread though.  You might want to post a new question on your own, so you get more answers!  : )

Good luck!

TH
the dentist asked me to take Tramadol to help with pain. i take only one at night, instead of the 4 a day he asked. i am managing the pain fine. but after hearing about all of your letters. F---K it, i will live with my pain. thanks.
I've been going through withdrawl for 2 days now.  I am using ultram to help with the wkithdrawl i take 1 in the am and 1 before bed.  I just hope it doesn't prolong the withdrawl.  I only plan on taking them for 4 days.  I hope that the withdrawl will be over after that time and the ultran doesn't prolong it longer than the normal 4 or 5 days .. I need my life back!!  Any advise on that taper would be greatly appriciated.  Thanks!
Yes, the ultram will prolong opiate withdrawal, because basically if you are taking ultram, you are still putting an opiate in your system....plus a much more dangerous drug to boot if you ask me!  I would flush them and get the WDS overwith now!
Thanks for your feedback.  Maybe ill get some buds instead.  I didn't realize it would prolong the withdrawl.  What a dissapoinment now I feel like I'm back at square 1!!
Yep, I know.  If you are talking about pot, that would be a big mistake.  It could even make you feel worse.  Kind of like drinking during WDs.  It's just not an effect that you're looking for at all!  

How about just get some OTC stuff that is in the Thomas Recipe and go for it?  There is no need in adding more drugs to your system when what you are trying to do is RID your system of them, right?  Not trying to be harsh at all, but do you really want to get clean?  If so, stop using all together!!! : )  You might be amazed at how easy it is????
im going to be starting on subs tomorow unless tramadol will work i know that suboxon is an opiate so u can get addicted but is tramadol really that bad that u can get addicted too? and sorry about my spelling but i am sweating and panicing bc i have ran out of options

I have had 2 siezures in the last 2 years--dosen't matter how much you take or how long--it just happens without warning-very embarrasing if you are not @ home!!--no other problems though
Please try to find another alternative than the tramadol.  It's poison in my book and just awful to get off of - the detox is so bad - and I believe it's because of the anti-depressant in the tramadol - makes the withdrawal absolutely horrible.

And to blt1964 - "no other problems" outside of the seizures?  I don't understand what you mean here - seizures in my book are a HUGE problem and tramadol has caused them in many many people - so not sure what you mean by "no other problems"?  Tramadol addiction is a HUGE problem for many of us.
I am currently taking tramadol a rx i just pick up from pharmacy. I have been out of hydrocodone for three days now. And, the tramadol just barely got here in time. I have been an opiate addict everything from vic and up for about three and a half years.
The FIRST pain pill i ever  ever took was given to me by my husband, And now I have wrecked myself. And spend a million nights thinking about how happy i was before i was addicted to this crap.
I have ulcerative colitis similiar to crohns disease, and So you could imagine what withdrawals to me , and i have severe arthritis. I am 25. yeah thats correct.
Anyone have suggestions? - But i do know personally when i am in withdrawal tramadol saves my *** big time, has anyone else had this experience?
DON'T!!!!!! sweet Jesus this stuff is worse then any narcotic out there!!! I had a knee replacement and needed to go into rehab because i had been on vicoden for about 3 years, i was taking the perscribed amount, just couldnt stop taking them without horribile withdrawals, so in 2008 i checked myself int brighton rehab. My God! it was holy hell! I had no idea the meds they were giving me was suboxen.   After i got out, they make you go to the clinic to get these pills once a week pee in a cup and sit in an hour narcotic class. I did not want to be on this drug. I still felt like i was high. why>>> cuz you are suboxen is an opiate without the buzz. but for me i felt the same acted the same, the buzz left a long time ago, i just needed them to funtion, so i stopped taking them after a month. HOLY WITHDRAWALS!!!!! worse then any, i started reading about this drug. it was new. they did not know how to get people off it. I almost paid 7 grand to go to one of those places where they detox you in 48 hrs on a machine. f that i found out it could kill you.  so i started reading surfing the net. i read where one guy took meth ( his drug of choice) after he stopped taking suboxen, you have to wait until the withdrawals start, or you will get really sick. he weaned off suboxen by taking meth again and slowly weaning himself off meth.  well I got some vicoden waityed for the withdrawals to start. suboxen lasts sometimes up to a week in your system. Oh before the vicoden i was literally just taking slivers of suboxen to stop the withdrawals. well i knew going back on vicoden was dangerous, but no doctor knew what to do. and brighton rehab wanted me to stay on the suboxen, It took about 60 pills and 1 month but i finally weaned off and was my normal self. That stuff is great for people who have long term chronic pain and need to take painkillers for the rest off your life, but Im still waiting to hear some bad news about this drug, also a good drug for heroin users, but if you seriously just like the buzz from narcotics, do not take suboxen . you will have a problem getting off it, and you will be searching the streets for it. I had so much of that crap left, i could of sold them for hundreds, but i would not do that to someone. It is a bad bad drug. stay away if you can. i accidently took one about a month ago they are peach color and i thought it was a different medicine. Wow was i stoned!!!!! I figured out what it was, and thanked god! that I only had the one. i was fine the next day. you have to take them for about 2 weeks before you are addicted again. please, stay away from this drug, wean off your vics percs or whatever, but if you go into rehab just ask what they are giving you before you just pop it. freakin idiots, still wanna kick their butt for putting me thru that horrible time. thanks for reading. Kat
I guess everyone is different.  I use Tramadol to control my arthritis pain. I am 61 and still have to work everyday. It works very good at what it is supposed to do. I stop taking on the weekends or if I do not have to work with no withdrawal. Some times for over a week. I do have some of the side effects but worth it not having to deal with the pain. I can't imagine taking some of the doses that are listed here.  I take no more than 250mg a day if I have a long work day. I could see where excessive amounts  could be  a problem so I just don't do that.
sure by now you have your answer about suboxone but I'm sure no one told you what my pharmacist told me...an independant showed once you start on them its impossible to get off..tried cutting dose down tried extending the time between doses nothing works she might be right
I take Tramadol, Hydrocodone, MsContin ER and IR every single day. I must say after reading all of this, I am worried and concerned about my meds taken daily. I am on many other meds, to include nausea medication due to being nauseated all the time....which is a result of taking the cocktail of meds I mentioned above. My largest concern is the severe withdrawals, bc with the combo I take, ALL have serious withdrawal complications.
You might go up to the top and click on the orange post a question button and copy and paste your need/question.  That will start a new thread and hopefully get you some responses that will probably get missed on this older thread.  I really think you can get better help that way.  Good luck and keep posting.  This community is pretty good to help.
So basically my Dr. has prescribed me a plethora of pain meds, but the Tramadol I never worried about and only take it when I am running low on all my other pain meds, to supplement and get me thru until next refill. Now by reading this post and the information provided by everyone, I'm concerned. Here is why...if Tramadol is so severe as far as withdrawal,then along with my 6-9 Hydrocodone a day, my 4 MS Contin ER and 4 MS Contin IR (extended and instant release) then adding the Tramadol is just terrible right? My concern is the addiction part. Obviously since I have been taking all that I do for several years now, addiction is obvious. However, should I eliminate the Tramadol due to it being more severe as far as addiction and withdrawals? Is anyone taking medication similarly to the amount and different types that I do? Any input, info, advice and knowledge of any kind is welcomed. The medication is for the many medical issues I suffer from and I legitimately get prescriptions from my Dr every month ( some are considered 'controlled substance' so I have to get a hard copy in office every month). Ok, well any comments or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks for reading!
Start a new thread hon.  Look at the post just above the one you posted to see how.  It will help you get the info you need.  
Hi.. I am a university student who is currently addicted to tramadols.
I was prescribed these medicines when I had a knee injury. It was supposed to help me bear the pain but instead;; I found that it helped with my general well-being of life.

I started taking 3 (50mg) of tramadol a day to what is now 8 (50mg) a day.
I certainly can say that these pills have the ability to alter one's mood. I feel much more happier and warmer when I take these pills and tend to get irritated easily too.

I had been taking these pills for about a month now and yesterday when I tried to stop taking it.. (because my knee is fine now) I had some withdrawal effects such as sweating (alot).. more like cold sweats and getting really restless and irritated with everything.

I am worried that I might already have become addicted to it and I am right now only using it to alter my mood. (recreational purposes)

For the 'helping with opiate withdrawal' part... I only suggest it if someone is seriously addicted to other opiates.. because tramadol itself holds a different story of addiction.

Take care.

I'm not sure if this sight is still active but do u think tramadol could help with WD from a 500 miligram a day addiction to hydro?
Hi wasted Welcome to the forum.. you are posting on a old thread if you scroll to the top you will see back to the forum, hit that it will take you to the current board on top you will see a post a question on the left. post there You will get more support on your own thread. I wish you well. lesa
Please post your question on a new thread but I did want to answer you in case you are not good with navigating around websites - Don't be misled regarding Tramadol - it is an opiate-like drug and if you take it while you are withdrawing your withdrawal will not be as bad because your body is getting an opiate like substance so all you are doing is prolonging your withdrawal.

If you are withdrawing from opiates replacing that opiates (whatever it is) with another opiate like substance is not the way to go.

I'm 43 days off hydros and it can be done, it isn't fun but you can do it.  The only way over opiate addiction is straight through it, withdrawals and all.

Please post for support per instruction of prior poster - this board is very active and we've all been where you are right now.
Hy what's up?

Frst things first stop taking the vlium!  Benzodiazepines are the worst drug to withdraw from.  They make opiate withdrawals seem like the sniffles.  I actually told a doctor about my addiction to pain killers and he prescribed me tramadol.  I was clean for about a month and then started taking the trammys and now Im walking a slippery slope of relapse.  To answer your question though the absolute best way to effectively stop taking opiates is to ween off your drug f choice by using lower and lower doses of said drug.  If you have friends or family that are supporting you use them to lean on.  Whatever your normal dose is or was take 3/4 of that for 5 days or so, then go to half your normal dose for a week or so, then 1/4 for 10 days until you feel comfortable not taking them.  For instance I used to take 5 30mg. perks a day.  So to get off I went to 4 for 5 days 3 for a week then then 2.5 for 10 days...so on and so forth.  Its how doc's bring you off of them and it allows your body to start producing the vital chemicals that you stop producing in an opiate driven haze.  Good luck its one of the hardest things you will ever do.  It can and is done everyday and if you screw up one day start over the next.
For me, tramadol is an absolute life saver. My story is the same one that's been retold 1,000 times. I got my first vicodin from a co-worker when I was a teenager, and it was the best feeling I'd ever experienced. I think I was actually hooked from the very first time I took a lortab. I didn't know the difference between opiates and others pills, so I swallowed everything that I found. Muscle relaxers, valiums, xanax's, ecstasy. I found out that nothing compared to lortabs. My friend had a script, and I used to buy 10 to relax on the weekends. Not long after, I received a big raise at work, and all of my extra money started going to pain pills. Soon, just weekends wasn't good enough. I started taking them after work on weekdays. Then I started taking 1 or 2 at work. Then I started taking several at work.

I got to where my body was constantly craving opiates. Even when I was buzzed, I could feel minor withdrawal pains. Soon I was buying my friend's entire script. I was buying half of 2 other peoples' scripts. I found a doc to give me my own script. Plus, people knew if they needed extra cash, I was always buying. So I'd get a random phone call or text every so often about someone wanting to sell tabs or percs.

It was a constant chase. If I wasn't at work, I was either on tabs, or chasing them. The only reason my work didn't suffer was because I needed it to maintain my drug needs.

But to get to the point. Tramadol helped me get away from pain killers. They mask the withdrawals, but the opiate withdrawal is still there. I could feel leg cramps for the first week of switching to tramadol. But it was nowhere near the unbearable leg cramps i get cold turkey. Lucky for me, I don't tolerate trams very well. They make me dizzy and they make me want to vomit. I don't get pleasure from tramadols, so I don't have any urge to take them other than to help with withdrawals. Within a few weeks, I was able to ween down to only a couple trams a day. After quitting, I'd randomly get mild withdrawal symptons. Then I'd take one as needed. I still get my prescription every month, and unlike before, they work when I'm in pain.

My financial situation was changed. I have my own house vs roommates when I had plenty of extra money to buy pills. Now, I can't afford my previous habit, even if I wanted to and I've lost contact with my old suppliers. If nothing else, this keeps me in check. You've gotta break the hold that pills have on you and either give them up completely, or set up some sort of oversight that prevents you from getting out of hand.
I have a script for 90 norco for back pain but abused and found myself buying an extra 60 to 90 at $3 a pop every month, decided last week to put an end to it and I'm having crazy withdraws. I have a untouched script for 150 tramadol and in an effort to beat this I'm going to try to taper from 6 a day to 1 a day over the next 2 weeks then trash the rest. I took 5 today so far and it's helped a bit. Hoping to refill my xanax and try the Thomas Recipe along with this. Being an addict *****. I want to be free of having to take anything and be a happy person again. I know I should swallow my pride and ask my doc for help but I'm a stubborn ******* and want to do this for myself, but it would be nice if it didn't hurt so damn bad...I'm mentally tough usually and can handle tons of pain but wd's make you an emotional mess....hoping all the pain will bring stregth...i will post if the tramadol help and good luck to all detoxing...freedom is around the corner
TRAMADOL/ULTRAM is more evil and worse than the regular opiates. It has an anti-depressant component similar to Effexor and long term abuse at 20 50mg pills a day is common among abusers. The recovery time can be MONTHS. And I do mean MONTHS of insomnia, restlessness, and terrible depression. If someone wants to taper, use your regular D/O/C and stay away from Tramadol. Seizures are not reported during Tramadol detox, as far as I know, but resumption can bring on a grand mal seizure as can high doses. I exchanged Hydrocodone for Tramadol because it was cheaper. The recovery when I realized that 18-20 pills a day wasn't enough was far worse than Hydrocodone...for me. As they say...everyone is different. I agree with the writer who says that abstinence is the best medicine!
Thanks for that information mrmichael67 - I am a very worried mother, my son broke his bacjk in 2008 and has been prescribed Tramadol. He has a fit last week, was sent to hospital via a 999 call - He did not have full ingestigation of CT head scan to illiminate Epilespy. The A & E doctor assumed that he had accidently overdosed on Tramadol. However I am scared and so is my son. He is afraid of Hospitals and I am affraid that if he does not have investigations he could quite well fit again.  
Sorry fo your Pain,I have RSD a nerve disorder a lot of pain!My son found this Dr.Demonte in Rhode Island.I went in 11 Pain and on the third day treatment I was in no pain!I meet a Lady that had your same condition and she gave up HOPE on this Problem.She found thi Dr. and he had Help her!She said he gave her Life Back!
  This Dr. puts you on amachine for45 mins. a Day,this Machine is a MIRCLE MACHINE!You can find him on seach for CPR Teatment,Rhode Island!Tell them Bonnie Harvey told you about them!He can HELP,you'll FEEL so much Better!I Felt Better than I had in over 12 yrs.Good Luck!
I am just today not taking any percocet but have tramodol from when I had surgery a few weeks ago...iv been taking percocet for quiet a few years...do you think it's safe that I take tramodol for the withdrawl symptms?
I was put on tramadol about 6 months ago & i can only take 3 a day before it knocks me out for 24-30 hrs. I have noticed lately that i seem to need the tramadol more than before and im worried that maybe im starting to become addicted. It's bad enough i have a little container attached to my keys that holds some of the pills so i always have them with me. Ive been popping a pill every 4 hrs & then drinking coffee to focus at work. Any ideas?
I have Bipolar and I'm on meds for for stability and have some very bad lows.  I have been abusing DHC (which is a much stronger drug, unscripted) with Tramadol up to 10 50mg in a day.  I was in deep with these 2 drugs, both opiates.  I would have 2/3 good (good! I really mean functional) days a week while I abused Tramadol and the other day I would take a maintenance dose to stave off the withdrawals.  Half the problem with this drug is that it includes chemicals which act on the same brain receptors as an anti-depressant.  

I started a very small dose of Paroxetine (12.5mg) a month before I'm now at 50mg or even no opiates in a day.  All I can tell you is that it is like a curtain is lifted from your mind, instead of riding the tide and carrying on in a stupor, you start to feel again, which in itself can be a little painful but do you remember how you felt when your favourite song came on when you were out or driving along, no, you probably don't, it's difficult in the grip of Tramadol addiction.  I just wanted to share this, I feel as a Bipolar person with very bad depression this may lift your hopes, finger x'ed.  This drug will ultimately make your depression much worse than it was before..

Keep yourself busy even if gardening or cleaning if you're not working, exercise helps a lot too and I dare say an anti-depressant may help too.  It is said that you shouldn't use certain SSRI's with this drug, I checked with my pharmacist and Doc, you should do the same..

signed.. 2 & a1/2 years of abuse, god knows what it's done to my body.

Cannot begin to describe how much ur post has helped me this am!!! This is day 1 detox for me from tabs!!! I have over a hundred trams the dr gives me, but from readin on here im not sure wth to do!!!
I have been on viky "vicodine" for about 3 years now, it got bad last yr. Real bad, i ran out a few times and wanted to die. However, i just ran out and took my last pills 2 days ago, thankfully my friend gave me 15 Tramadol and i have decided to quit Viky. I took my first couple of tram last night, no wd so far, took two more today and still good . So far so good, hoping and praying i can get through this painfully! I know by now if i hadn't had any vikes for two day i would be in a fetal position. So after im done with the tram hopefully i will have winged myself from vikes. Wish me luck, best to u all.
Hi there!  You've posted to a really old thread.  You might want to post a new question so others will be along to comment.  I know that trams are another opoid and when you run out of those you will most likely go into withdrawals.  Don't trade off one pill for another if you can help it.  I speak from experience.  I've taken tramadol to ease Vicodin w/d and it does but ultimately in the end when you give it all up, plan to experience some symptoms.  Just try to work through it and know that it will get better in a few days.  Others will be along to lend their support....post often.  Good luck!
Hi, I came across this site searching for info on detoxing with Tramadol.

I was addicted to norco. I decided enough, never again, I'm done. Went to my medical provider who has a chemical addiction program and got on an 8 day regimen of Tramadol to detox. I have 2 days left at 3 per day. I quit them at 6 days cos I want all opoids out of my body. lol. Guess I'm impatient to get this show on the road.

I've not taken a Tramadol for 19 hours and feel basically fine except for a little weak and tired. Got bad diarrhea yesterday and still have it so I think that's making me feel weak too.

I've seen many say Tramadol is no good to detox but it's been a miracle drug for me. Just an occasional nervousness in my stomach but that's it for physical w/d symptoms. Take Clomodine now and then, mostly at night hopefully to help me sleep. I haven't had much sleep in 4 nights. But I am looking to the future and a life without addiction! I am excited I finally did this.

In my research on Tramadol, I've read nothing about it being an anti-depressant.

Also, I've read comments that the next few days without the Tramadol I could feel worse before I feel better. Remember, I only took the Tramadol for 6 days. I'm hoping to start feeling more lively in another couple of weeks.
In my own opinion, and I have a lot of experience with every kind of opiate at high doses over years....run, don't walk away from Tramadol.  The worst in the world.  The synthetic  properties bind to almost every receptor in your brain and body including fat cells which are the slowest to turn over...so stays in your body longer than most others.  For anyone going through WD suggest you read EmilyPost journal on here going back to 2007.  She was a pioneer of tramadisaster withdrawl.  Gave me much needed info on what to expect and how to cope.
Yup, I read some of your posts and remember you referring people to the emily post journal. I can't seem to find it.

Can you tell me how to get to it?

Thanks much!
I'll send you a thread that has a link to her profile page.  Scroll down and look at the left side of her profile and you will see her recent journals.  Click "see all" to view older ones.  Good luck and let me know if is helps...the really old ones helped me through all kins of crazy hours!!!
http://www.medhelp.org/personal_pages/user/544292

This is the start...you can paste this into your bowser to get to EmilyPost journal!!
Thank you!!

8 nights with little sleep. I just wanna sleep! lol
I have been on tramadol for over 7 years.  I started it because of cervical issues from several major car accidents.  The accidents stopped when I moved out of California.  But the pain was interfering with work and family.  My new husband had been on tramadol for about a year because of shoulder surgery and had me make an appt with his doc who told me it was a non-narcotic pain reliever that he didn't have any problem prescribing for the rest of my life.  I started realizing after about a year that I was feeling pains never felt before when I was due for another dose.  I started trying to wean myself but because of psych issues (depression, anxiety, crying spells, inability to sleep) would return to the drug.  I am now in my second week of just 50 mg twice per day and I'm about ready to jump out of my skin.  I've even had suicidal thoughts though I'm sure I wouldn't  ... But I do want to feel human again.  I'm not sure how much more I can take.  Maybe I need more professional help.  But I have no health insurance.  I really wish I'd never started.  Any reassurance that I'm almost through it would be much appreciated.
Hi.  I just read ur post and I am in the same boat.  My taper plan was supposed to be a lot slower though but it's still extremely hard.  A month ago I jumped from 14 per day to 8.  I work out and stuff and I kept at it through my withdrawals and after about 7 days I was physical adjusted to my new routine of 4 in the am and 4 in the pm.  But NOW it's all catching up to me emotionally and mentally.  I feel horrible.  I am a little over a month in at 8 per day and now last week I suddenly have just started to feel so miserable emotionally.  I feel so blah...like I just have no interest in anything. Everything I do seems like a chore, even walking to the kitchen for a drink of water.  I have lost interest in everything.  I even stopped working out.  I know it's because of the sudden drop in meds due to the ssri component of this drug, but knowing that doesn't help me feel better.  I want to make another drop in my doseage because now I have heard that I'll feel like this until I'm completely off them all together...but that will take months.  I try to tell myself that its not reality, how bad I feel, but just an affect of dropping the meds...but that doesn't help because I still just feel so blah.  I mean I don't even care if I shower.  I can take life or leave it right now and it's a crappy feeling.  i'm not suicidal or anything but like I said I feel like with life I can just take it or leave it.  I just don't feel like I care about anything.  Sorry that I have no advice...just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat as you are.  You're definitely not alone.