Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

tramadol

I'm confused about everything I've been hearing about tramadol (Ultram).  I understand that it should be used with caution (or not used at all) amongst abuse-prone individuals, but the other info I've seen seems contradictive.  I've seen some treatment centers advertise that they use tramadol to help with opiate withdrawal, yet I've also read that taking tramadol during opiate withdrawal can INCREASE withdrawal symptoms.  Can someone set me straight on this?  Thanks in advance.
Actually, taking tramadol during withdrawal will decrease symptoms.  I know when I was taking vics and percs and I ran out, Ultram helped fill the void.  One has to take into consideration that during a supervised detox (ie. in a hospital), they will be doling it out to you.  They use it to wean you off.  If you do it on your own, then it can be very dangerous because many have just jumped on the tramadol bandwagon in place of their drug of choice.  If you do it on your own, taking ultram to detox is almost the same thing as tapering with your drug of choice.  And, many can't do that.  Ultram is also dangerous for those previously dependent on an opioid because if you take ultram when you have been previously dependent, it just gets the whole thing started again.
This is the first time I've posted.  I agree with the person beforebe, Ultram can decrease withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms but you have to be careful not to trade one drug for another.  I was told Ultram isn't addictive and that is a lie.  I've been taking painkillers for 2 years and the past six months has gotten really bad.  But during that time Ultram was one drug I used and if I had ultram now I would abuse it just like I'm abusing my norco, vicodin, and whatever else.  So be careful and good luck.  I'm so glad I found this place- I don't feel so alone
Just like michael said tramadol is addictive also, It is differant then vics and not as strong you can tapper with them but if you start taking more and more the w/d are as bad as vics, I know b/c I did it, everyone is differant but the fact that it is addictive is just that, you can have sucess tappering with low doses, but Ultramm is unpredictable as it can cause sycosis and bad w/d if it is abused anyone can tapper with a low dose of an opiate usualy supervised, tell your doc that you would like to tapper with Tramadol. Do not believe anyone who tells you its a non-narcotic or not addictive because whatever is in it acts just like any opiate I was taking 15 to 20 every day 5 at a time and withdrawls were terrible but again I abused them and I think thats the answer to your question if you abuse you will have w/d  if you tapper with them you might be able to make your w/d more bearable.  TER
Can anyone tell me about suboxen I think thats what its called. Is it addictive and is there w/d  after, what does it do for an opiate user? I am done with the first phase of withdrawls and wondering would it be an idea to take it for cravings and depression? but I don't want to get caught up with another drug.
Thank you for you responses.  For the record, I am not going through withdrawals, and have been off everything for a long while.  My basic belief is that abstinence is the best way to go, although I know people that have been physically addicted and use opiates sparingly -- they seem to have gotten it through their heads that they can never go back to abusing again.  Still, I advocate abstinence for most folks.  I personally tend to lean more towards SR and RR than the AA/NA type of thinking, but I say: "what ever works for you is what's best".
   My concern is that the information I've found about tramadol is quite confusing.  I would question using it for certain withdrawals, as seems to increase the chances of having siezures (if what I read is correct!).  Thanks for pointing me to those threads.  And thanks to all who answered.  I'm looking forward to more posts -- I'd like to know what others think about this tramadol/withdrawal thing....
One of tramadol's side effects is that is CAN or MAY cause seizures.  That side effect is neither dose dependent nor does it happen as a result of withdrawal.  Some people are prone to seizures and most aren't.  Unfortunately, it is hard to tell who is prone.  There are people who have had seizures from it and they had been taking it for quite some time.
my experence with ultram and ultracet
is that it was a good drug to take when i ran out of vikes or percs, ulrram took away the with drawls from the percs and vikes.
i was told they were non narcotic.
the one thing good about them for me was i never got any kind of buzz or high from them like i did from vike's.
so they were easier to get off of for me.
when i did stop taking them , i did go through with drawls that were  very simalar to vike withdrawl (withdrawal), for the 1st week , but after the 1st week it was easier to get back to feeling normal faster, while vike withdrawls effected me for months, week 1 being very difficult and the next 2 months being difficult
with bouts of severe depression and totol lack of energy.
when i took vikes i was up to 15 a day , while  with the ultram
i only took around 4 to 6 a day.
so for me ultram was much esier to deal with .
while vikes and perc's were just out of controll.
i have read here at the fourm where others have gone down a path where they were taking 20 or mor ultram a day and thier withdrawls were a nightmare.
so it would seem each person would have to ask themselves
why they are taking the ultram, and how it is affecting there mood , and if they are useing them to get a high.
one other thing about the ultram for me was it did not take away my sex drive where vikes did.
the ultram also made me sweat a lot while i slept at night.
everyone is different , i did not like ultram and the way it made me feel, while vikes and percs  made me feel good in the beginning stages of taking it, i had the sam effect with perc;s and oxy, they elavated my mood and gave me energy and helped a lot with pain., but after a year or so of useing them  , all those good feelings and side effects  vanished and i took pills just to function, getting high or feeling good was out of the picture along with it helping my pain. i guess this had to do with my tolerence going through the roof.

well just some thoughts, peace hippy,
im clean now 13 months and i am taking vioxx for pain, along with exersize and vitamines.
Hi Terter,
I posted about suboxone last week but maybe you didn't read that post.

I am in the midst of a suboxone detox, and if you are already through the physical part of wds, I'd strongly advise you to not start taking suboxone unless you and your doctor feel you need it for maintenance therapy.  Subxone is an opiate, though it is also a partial opiate antagonist.  The bottom line is, it does cause physical dependancy and you do get withdrawals when you go off it. The withdrawals are not as bad as hydrocodone withdrawals, but they are bad. They feel like the most extreme exhaustion and lethargy you can possibly imagine.  I tried to get off fast, and am not going to be on it longer than 3 weeks (this is my last week, and I'm on half a pill every few days).

Best to be done with opiates if that is what your goal is. Suboxone will only prolong it.  If you are interested in a non addictive med that can help subdue cravings, ask your Doc about revia. It is naltrexone. Suboxone consists of buprenorphine (the opiate part) with naltrexone in it to keep addicts from crushing the pills and abusing them.  Naltrexone (revia) blocks opiates from attaching to receptors, thus if you take an opiate while taking naltrexone you won't feel anything from it.  

I'll keep you all posted on how my weaning from suboxone goes. Today I'm not on it, and I feel pretty much ok, just a little tired, but yesterday I had half a pill, and it stays in the sytem 48 hours, so I bet by tomorrow I'll feel really lethargic.

Help me hang in there!
Good luck to you, I guess I was looking for an easy way out w/ Suboxone, I went through w/d around 5/12 and I'm still craving very badly, I trie to keep busy but my mind keeps wondering in the drug direction I keep thinking to myself just a couple then so on and so on, My cravings are worse today then the week of w/d I guess the suboxone wouldn't be a good choice for me. The problem with revia for me would be to get myself to take that pill since the choice would be mine. Thank you for responding, and again the best of luck to you. Ter
Well terter, Revia is in suboxone, so if you started suboxone you'd be getting both, though according to my doctor the revia in the suboxone doesn't get into your system unless you crush the pills, I'm not sure I believe that, since it does help stop my cravings, and plain buprenorphine, when I've been on it, has not stopped the cravings.

Have you tried support groups? there is a fabulous NA group online if you can't make it to f2f meetings. Try www.egna.org and click on the online meetings. I go there all the time for support as well, and it is NA, so be aware of that if you don't like NA, but they chat meetings they have are great and the people are really helpful.

good luck to us all!
I am waiting for an appt with a therapyst, I've never been before so I'm not sure what to expect, I have no problem coming clean with my addiction, I just hope it helps. Thanks for your answer it helped a lot.   Ter
Hello..

I have been trying to ween off of percs for a while and I just wanted some pointers.  I used to eat 10-12 a day for a year or so then I detoxed for 5 days.. and on day 6 I started to eat them again.. i made it through the worst, but i started again.. now i find that they dont do for me what they used to.. and i want freedom..

i havent eaten any in 3 days and i can survive on an ultram a day with some valiums.. i know i am pretty much in the clear.. but im stressed.. and worried.. can anyone tell me if weening off the ultrams at one a day will work.. what happens when i dont have one.. will it be as bad as my previous detox.. any insight would be appreciated..

thank you all
Just one seems to be a low enough dose to help a lot. If I ever went that low I would already been in W/D. 1 a day seems you can probly stop any time if you've been doing it long enough, But each person is different, I think your on the right track. I haven't taken Percs but I am familiar with Ultram. Good Luck Ter

hey true, i took ultrams, and went through withdrawls
from them a few times, i used them to get of vikes and percs a bunch of times.
if you are only taking 1 a day you should be fine.
you have to be more carful of the withdrawls from the valiums,
best to only take them for 1 week and ween down as the week goes along.the with drawls from valiums can be very bad.
when ya stop taking the valiums ,depression  tends to be fairly srrong.

ultram withdrawls make ya panic,,and people who take like 10 or more a day of the ultram  have withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms) just like
vikes and percs.
if you can take 1 a day, you might want to try to drop them all togetherone of the major withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms is lack of sleep,
week 1 is the worst, that is what the valiums are good for ,
lack of sleep in week 1 and 2.
the lack of sleep somtimes go's on for a month or 2.
my experence is to use the ultram for week to help with the vike withdrawl (withdrawal)  week 1 and the valiums at night week 1 for sleep, then cold turkey after that.
taking thomas's receipe the whole time is very helpful.
peace and keep posting ,  hippy
Finally .... my daughter is going away for a few days and that means no babysitting for my 2 year old grandaughter. Now I can try to break away from this tramadol (ultram) I have a full bottle of vicodin and a bottle of valium ... and a very strong survival instinct. Every morning I just hate having to take these 2 1/2 pills to start my day. Today I cut it to 2 1/8 of a pill .... and I felt the difference by nightfall. Tommorrow I watch the kid while they are packing .... and then it begins. I'm so anxious that I will go into a big psychosis or something and be forced to take the pain pills and then I will be stuck. I really do not like valium .... sorry. I'm just worried about acting like a mental case around my family. Geesh .... I wish I could check in somewhere. Where's the Betty Ford Center?
hey goldie!! don't really have anything to say, just wanted to say "hi" lol, not "high"!

amber
Right now I am contemplating on going back on prescription medication I thought that I could go with just over the counter stuff but I can't. I used to take Ultram (Tramadol) which is the worse stuff. I need help. How can I tell the doctor that I want to be on meds permanently. My story is on the Ultram/Ultracet thread FYI. I have such a hard time going out and enjoying life because of this nagging back pain. I went to the doctor and he gave me some Dolobid or something like that for the pain in my back,but that did'nt phase it for when I am up and about for extended periods of time. He has me bend over and walk on my toes and on my heels and I mean it does'nt hurt like a sharp pain so I have mobility but after standing for a while or sitting down for a while my back get real weak and I feel like it's real tired and worn down when I use to have the Ultram it would take the pain away but I was taking too much and if I take some type of narcotic I know for sure that I can manage it and only take my recommended dose but I know that I will be hooked sooner or later but it's not as bad as the Ultram.
Because I took some narcotics (vicodin) when I was released from the hospital for about 6 months and followed my prescription and it did help me. So what do I tell the doc "I want narcotics" because he was contemplating that last time but he said, "I want to give you something for your pain, but I don't want you to be to sedated while your at work so we'll try this Dolobid" and that did'nt work. Well I know that I'll have to take something with a narcotic to feel like not scared to go out and do more stuff besides work out because it's weird because when I work out I my pain is blocked or something especially during aerobic activity and that's another thing when I was taking vicodin back then after about 5 months I started jogging and it seemed that it would hit me just as hard as it did the first time I ever took it with the same dose. Could it be that I sweated out the drug and purged my system by jogging? Or what? Well anyway I know you guys will write back to me like no tommorrow and give some good responses that will help me out. If you're not familiar with my story I will post it again on this thread right under this one.

Thanks,

All of you

SoCal Grappler

This is my story:

I am a world class athlete (olympic wrestler/ultimate fighter. If anyone has seen the HBO special "The Smashing Machine" that is almost my exact story just that I was led to dependence by an accident. I was in a serious accident I ruptured some discs and had some fractures in my spine and had some nerve damage that extended into my stomach and made my stomach very sensitive to the touch and that almost took my life and was forced into retirement and my "olympic" and "fighting" career was put on hold or held off indefinetley. Well, anyway I was given many medicines including a large number of opiates for back and nerve damage and pain that was incurred from my accident. I must admit that I had withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms from Morphine when I was discharged from the hospital but overcame them in a few days. Seven later I went to see a doctor and he perscribed me some Ultram or as generic is known "Tramadol" it took some time to get used to,because at first its not a pain reliever it feels like a sedative or something weird that gave me headaches, but once I used it long enough it did ease the pain and ease the symptoms especially the ones I have the most trouble with which are the damage to a nerve that extends to my stomach, in fact one of my stomach muscles was collapsed which looked kind of deformed for about a year. The problems started when I started to run out of the perscription before it was time for a refill and this happend time and time again I felt extremely dependent I never felt like this even with the vicodine or whatever else I took. I have a tremendous amount of will and I told myself I am getting off of this **** no matter what. It was so tough but I did it and the withdrawls continued for two-weeks I have never encountered anything so mentally and physically challenging and difficult to beat. I'll tell you I have fasted for a couple of days no food no water while still training like a madman to get down to weight for competitions and I competed in Russia, Bulgaria, Crotia, Cuba and I thought that was mentally and physically challenging for the normal human. Over the course of my two-week withdrawl (withdrawal) I developed sores in my mouth like blisters probably because of the fever and chills I got, but man, I thought,"this is heavy duty" I can't believe how rough this is it was something that I thought that probably was going to be able to beat or overcome because how overwhelming the symptoms were. I would not advise the use of this medicine to anyone and the doctor said "don't worry about it it's not a narcotic medicine." Well it might not be narcotic but it sure has some "allout" more than narcotic effects. I have since stopped taking it and am now taking some other medicine that does'nt totally take my pain away(ibuprophen) but I don't care I will probably have to live with it for the rest of my life it's nagging but tolerable. I can still workout and strengthen my muscle tissue and train hard but not to where I'll injure myself it seems that it helps with the pain. I still take some vicodin every once in a while but only when I can't stand it. Also, if there is someone with a similar problem with nerve damage that extends to their stomach and still bothers them please, please email me with any suggestions on treatment. I invite anyone or any other person with a similar story to email me. But to recap please Say No To ULTRAM (Tramadol)!!!!!!!!!!

SoCal Grappler
Team Machine
Dear Grappler .... so sorry about your injuries. I just had a thought while reading your first post. If you are close with your doctor and can work together to manage the back pain, the plan would be to use an opiate most of the time and when the opiate is not as affective anymore (tolerance) then use the tramadol for a short while (2weeks or so) then go back to the opiate again. These drugs are interchangeable and both are affective for pain relief. The doc might suggest something like methadone .... or a long lasting pain med, but you know yourself better than anyone. Use the best medicine for YOU .... also,  use something that you can kick easily when the time comes. Now ... this pain of yours can go away comepletely, but only if you allow yourself to heal! When using vikes we can do everything (just like superman) and not feel a twinge. But we are "re-injuring our old injuries" ... Yes, that's right. The result is we never heal because we don't allow our bodies to "rest" the injured area. (in your case, your back) The opiate blocks the pain so well ... we keep traumatizing a bad back or weak shoulder. That's the dilema of opiates. If you put as much thought and effort into "healing" as you do into your other physical fitness persuits ..... you could beat this. I know it. The body and psyche have remarkable regenerative powers. The proper rest, the proper thoughts ....the brain produces the right hormones and chemicals for healing to take place. Use the pain meds, but not to "keep going" in the same line of work. A brand new mind-body connection is needed, and that means a whole new dude. Time for ROBO Grappler .... it would take a year or so, but you could be all better and off pain meds. Look into chiropractic, acupuncture and shiatzu massage, just to start with, but really big guy, you need to change your line of work. I say this with complete respect and caring for you .... all my best, Goldie
Wanted to say hey and Goldie, if there is anything i can do to support you plz call me or e-mail me.
you had my e-mail but it is ***@****
You both are dear women and Goldie and Amber i see how much you reach out  to others.  REcovery is about relationships..to people, to work, to drugs, to hobbies, to ourselves, to our God most of all, to our children, to our problems, etc.  I am learning how to cope with life and then how to do it wihtout the need to use mind altering substances to numb myself and escape all of it.  My disease is one of thinking and the drugs were "just a symptom". (my words and from the AA basic text)
I love ya'll!
suzie
Thanks Goldie,

But I don't think that I would ever take Ultram again.  Not even just for a day.  I think that I am doomed to take opiates until I can find an appropriate surgical procedure.

I am in pain all the time. It's like an annoying pain that hurts my side in my rib area it starts in the area of T-7,T-8 and extends to my stomach.  I have never talked to anyone with similar pain or injuries. If there is someone on this forum please write back.  I will see the doc next week and will most likely be on meds next week I know that it is real pain because I have'nt taken anything to calm it. Well I guess it'll be good in a way because it will keep my mind off of the nagging pain and I am hoping will give me more motivation to do something like go out and have fun or something.

Thanks to all of you,

Socal Grappler
Team Machine
Dear friend ... so sorry if my previous post was over bearing. I didn't mean to be pushy. I just got all fired up and decided that I knew what the problem was ... not exactly but generally. When you speak of working out and excersizing ... well, I'm kind of motherly about the people I like and I was trying to protect you. You are a smart person and I'm sure you tred very carefully when it comes to your previous injuries. I wasn't suggesting that you sit around and do nothing for a year ... cause I know you couldn't do that, but I was thinking that maybe with a new plan ... those problem areas could heal and you would be as good as new. Actually ... I am kind of amazed at what you did. I don't blame you about ultram. As for me ... I quit ultram 2 days ago, but have to use a small amount of opiates cuz I cannot deal with the withdrawal from ultram. I will have to stop in 2 more days or I will have a new problem .... so who am I to give advice?
I wish you luck with your doctor and I know you are a winner so you will prevail .... never give up .... Goldie
Hi everyone I am new I posted for the first time in the methadone maintence thread. I am an opiate abuser on methadone for 1 year...just recently relapsed...from my  experience with ultram yes u r right, it does take the place of opiates and absollutely causes withdrrawel syptoms (symptoms) to go away or decrease...but it is just as difficult and uncomfortable to ct as any other opiate...i am seriously wondering if i wil ever be able to live without any opiates in my system..i have been abusing for over 10 years heavily and it seems such a part of my life (a bad one), i dont think i will ever be able to quit altogether...i am also a fibromyalgia patient which certainly doesnt help...just wanted to comment before going to bed..night everybody
There is a fine line between "abuse" of pain killers and trying to achieve adaquit pain relief. You and you alone can decide if you were using to "get high" ... for fibromyalgia opiates are contraindicated and should be used occassionaly for breakthrough pain. The best medicine for that condition is ultram. The antiinflamatory meds like vioxx and celebrex do not work because fibro does not come from inflamation (inflammation). I have stayed away from opiates for 3 years and used only ultram .... and it went away!
Now I am getting off ultram .... and hopefully will be off in a few more days .... you can live without drugs, but first you must figure out what is going on with the chronic pain and how you are going to work on it ... be patient and read up on fibromyalgia (FMS) Good luck to you ..... Goldie
I have had two seizures that I am pretty darn sure were caused by the Ultram/Tramadal that I am taking.  I know I have to get off of it, and my doctor told me to start tapering.  He said it as if it was the easiest thing in the world....NOT.  I try to taper, then a little while later I take more ane say that I will taper tomorrow.  Well, there have been a lot of tomorrowes, but fortunately, no more seizures.  I don't get a high off of Ultram, but it totally kills my appetite which has helped me lose 30 pounds this past winter.  I don't need to lose anymore weight, but I can't get off the Ultram.  I'm trying, but damm it's scary.  I know what the withdrawals feel like and I'm scared to taper down that far again.  So, in answer to the original message, I say don't take Ultram, don't even start.  I, too, was told it was non-addictive and non-narcotic.  What a load of you-know-what.
I am an addict and posted before about my stressed out life.  I take over 25-30 tramadol/ultram a day,  yes, and no seizures.  I was told that if you didn't have one as of now then you are not prone to them.  I am now in such denial that I can't even think about quitting.  My husband is getting angry and I am not happy with myself either.

My son had an MRI (diagnosed with brain tumor in 99 and removed)but the results were good.  4 years later he is doing well, but his eyes and hearing loss is what we are working to fix.  My twin girls 3 years old are a handful.  At 43, I know if I didn't take the ultram I would be asleep on the couch half of the time.  I know because I quit for a month last year and I felt tired all the time.  

Goldie, I am proud of you. I am so scared to go off taking them with such a high dose that I am trying to taper down and then quit.  Any other suggestions????

ldjohn
I swear ... if I get through this tramadol detox in one peice, I'm going to create a website or at least a message board for the thousands of people dealing with this drug. In many ways it's like methadone. It was a Godsend for me as I was in alot of pain from fibromyalgia, I was tired, depressed, over weight ... the whole nine yards. But try to get off of it ... and it's a whole other story! I posted something up top regarding the reason why it is impossible to stop taking it. By blocking the reuptake of the neuro chemicals norepinephrine and serotonin, it modifies the pain message resulting in pain releif. It's an antidepressant. Period. Anyway ....I lowered my dose as low as I could stand and put myself on an opiate (vicodin low dose) and I am off it for 16 days so far ..... another week I will work on quitting vicodin. I hope I make it. I had to use valium for sleep a few times as sonata didn't do a crappin thing. Now the sonata seems to be working with 2 mil of valium. I must sleep ... I just can't make it without sleep. My email is ***@**** .... I will try my mortal best to help you ... Goldie
if anyone has any info about the anti depressant effects of ultram (ie- why they work faster than say, prozac, and can antidepressants be used to titrate off of tramadol,etc.)- or any other info about tramadol substitutes, etc. please email me at ***@**** thanx- I too, have been caught up in the tramadol lie!!!! dont even know if i can even bring myself to trt to kick them, why bother if i will be depressed and tired forever if I go off of them...what about long term effects? does anyone know of any, or do they even know about that either??? good luck, god bless...
These threads fill up so fast I was afraid I wouldn't get to say anything .... it took me eight months of cutting my dose of tramadol (get this) a quarter of a pill.... 1/4 of a tramadol every other week!! It was the only way I could lower my dose without having traumatic symptoms. Let's face it, we all have lives to live. What if I was driving and got dizzy? As it is I still lean to the side while walking sometimes. I was able to get down to 2 1/4 before I switched to the opiate. I was so afraid because I had taken tramadol for 3 years ... that I actually took too much vicodin the first time (got sick to my stomach and high) UHGG .. hate that feeling. Now I take 1/2 a pill twice a day. I had absolutely NO pain symptoms ... and I feel normal. I can cry ... I wasn't able to shed a tear  for along time. I was so "robotic" ... I can also eat!! Oh boy ... do I love food. I lost 35 lbs on ultram,  as I said, it's just like antidepressants, although I never took one before ultram.
Hey ... I don't care about fat ... I'll work on it like everyone else ... I want my soul back. I want to feel again ... to be real. This is the kicker people .... new drug coming out for Fibromyalgia ... just like ultram but they took the opiate agonist out. It's still in stage 3 clinical trials ... it's called "MILNACIPRAN" ... the one thing I don't understand is how the antidepressants in ultram work so quickly and a regular antidepressant takes 2 to 3 weeks to work. hmmm ... have to do some more research. I am working on the "Ultram Message Board" There are so many people caught up in this ... having seizures and unable to get off of it .... ***@****
Good morning,

I just woke up and I hope I understood your post.  You have been off ultram 16 days, THAT IS GREAT!  Keep it up and don't go back it just gets worse and worse.  I did the same as you and I could get no lower than 6 after getting up to 12-16 daily.  I finally quit, I was so tired of it and I didn't want to confess to my Doctor that I screwed up, again.  He was so wonderful for 7 months helping me, but I did like you I took some vicoden for about four days and I think it did help some.
As I said in my other posts it has been 4 months and I feel like I'm finally getting my life back.  Over the years I have been addicted to pain meds and benzos, but the ultram was the real nightmare.  
I will be thinking of you and keep us posted.  If I can do it at 54 years old, I know you can do it. It does get better,I promise you.  Let me know when you get the website.
I don't want to ramble, but I feel so bad for people that don't know what they are getting into with these perscriptions and a lot of them are on their own.  Hopefully, they will find us.
Have a great day, everyone!
I am on my fourth..yes FOURTH week of ultram/tramadol withdrawl (withdrawal) and I was wondering if anyone has any advise on how I can deal with this. I get out of my bed and I feel like my legs are giving out, all i want to do is lay in bed all day..plus the non-stop trips to the bathroom.
I have been on them for almost 3 years. Does anyone know how much longer this will last.
I used the ultrams for methadone withdrawl (withdrawal) (thats what everyone suggested)
Hey everyone, it's funny how i've been reading everyone's comments about tramdol..and how it can be addicting. my doctor have prescribed me a year supply and he couldn't prescribe a narcotic because he couldn't find anything on the xrays. my pain worsens wheen i sleep and stand ,and the pain shoots down to my leg.. it hurts mostly on my lower back..unfortunaletly, the tramdol doesn't really help my back i have to buy lor tabs off of people and that can become verrry expensive.. i have an appointment this thursday with my doctor to get mri reaults...my only concern is that he won't see nething in the mri..because xrays and catskin at the hospitals did not detect anything..i don't want him prescribing me anything weak if he cant find anything and that would suck because my pain is crucial..i can't sleep at night..so my question is similar to another person above..how can i convince my orthopadiec doctor to prescribe a strong narcotic drug?..thanks so much Keiani
I started off the exact same, mri with soso results, a long prescription of tramadol, and now an addiction I cannot kick over two years later. Please, if you haven't started, do NOT start taking this drug. It is ruining my life. I am now up late at night going through my fifth time of trying to stop taking the meds, I can't sleep, I am feverish, shaking...and am wondering how on earth I am going to get through the work tomorrow let alone the next day. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.
By the way, two years later they still don't know what is "wrong" with me...only that I am in pain, but now they don't think I should take the meds since I am addicted from taking them for so long.
I had no idea how bad tramadol (Or Tramal in Australia) actually was. I have been prescribed it for my severe scoliosis (Im 21) and thought it was just like panadiene or similar. The doc didn't tell me about the side effects and he put me on 2 tabs/4 times a day. I wondered why i felt as high as a kite. I don't feel i am addicted but because of severe back pain, 24/7 it is the only thing that helps just that little bit. I am still active and can do most things (Even though i shouldn't) And because i refuse to have my pain stop me taking my dogs for a walk, i take the tabs.
My opinion is that ultram is one of the worst drugs out there. It is not a great drug for detoxing,or for a practicing addict trying to stay off the opiates. I tried just those very things and i am still paying the price today. Ultram gives you the same "high" as any of the opiates do with very debilitating side effects. Too much tramadol can cause a seizure. I went into "epileptic shock" twice from taking too much. I now take seizure meds permanently. My suggestion and my opinion is if you can avoid any narcotic pain meds do it and definately do not take ultram. I live in daily pain from 6 knee surgeries and a fractured L2, but i detoxed from all pain meds and now have 75 days clean and sober. For me anything that gives me any kind of "high" is a bad idea, and ultram is the devil in disguise. It says in the literature that if you have ever had a problem with any kind of opiate do not take ultram.
Thanks and God Bless,
Debbie
I cannot believe what I am reading. This is the worst....Please, just like so many people have said, do not take this. I agree "ultram is the devil in disguise"...I can't stand to be alone, for the night to come, to go to work and I don't like being in myself. This hurts so much. I am so depressed, I can't sleep, I can't get comfortable. Never in my life have I ever thought a drug should be illegal, except for the normal meth and junk. But someone has to do this for everyone that might go through this. If I had any idea of what to do, I would.
I have been off Ultram for 3 days now and the withdrawls are only getting worse.
Hi, how much ultram do people take a day? I know 400 mg a day is what they say is safe, but how much can you take before suffering health effects, thanks for any info
Hi, I have been taking 400-600mg a day, actually, more if i'm completely honest with myself. I sometimes get to the stage where i don't even count. I just go to the medicine drawer without even thinking and take more, it's as though i'm on auto pilot or something. I don't even take them for pain anymore, just the high. Sad or what? I haven't had any for 6 days now due to having a seizure last week and i feel as though everything in my life has just came crashing down. Gone is the happy,positive and energetic person i was and it's driving me nuts. I have also been taking prozac for 4 months whilst taking the tramadol. Maybe if i wasn't taking them i'd have even worse withdrawls. The other bad thing that's came out of stopping is that my arthritis pains are back- i have RA. Also before i started taking tramadol i smoked cannabis for 14 years and had just given up. It's the only time i've managed to stop but now after giving up tramadol i feel like smoking again and i'm going to. I just don't know which is worse. I'm finding it really hard not taking anything. I'm climbing the walls.
I suppose when i think about it there hasn't been a day since 1989 where my mind hasn't been polluted by something or other.Wish i could get into meditation etc but i don't have the patience or the motivation. Just for the record yoga, meditation & tai chi  is good for anyone trying to come off anything- it does work if you want it to and you stick with it. I have no idea whatsoever why i don't do it myself as you still get a high except it's natural-what more could you want? I'll go for now, getting all this off my chest has  made me start to analyse myself for a change, that and the fact i'm bored hearing myself harp on.
I'm really glad i found this forum, and wish everyone in similar situations all the best.
Try to take good care of yourselves xx
you are posting on a post that from years ago ,I post a post to you .with your name.
Avis
hi, I have never done this before so I did not know how or where to post a new blog. Is there somewhere else I should post for more recent replies? Thanks for all the infor. I know the feeling. I loose count but think it is around 700 mg a day, have not had any medical  problems (yet), but am scared to quit, and scared to keep going on like this. The withdrawl (withdrawal) from this is unbearable, so I am just looking for any info. Thanks
if you go up to the top and go to post a question you can start new thread . I suggest you taper down you are over 400mg a day and putting your self at risks of seizures .Are you on any other meds. Tram is my Drug of choice I have been clean for over a month getting clean is not fun but possible taper down as far as you can before stopping . Its rough I am not going to lie, its rough but life is much better now.
Thanks avis,although i'm not quite sure what your message means? I'm new to this too so wasn't sure what i should be doing. Even though i didn't get much of a response i felt much better getting it off my chest. Today has been much better. I have been in the same positive frame of mind as when i was on the tramadol,this is day 7. Maybe it gets better from here? Here's hoping.
Juniper, hope you find all the info you need to come off this. Reading everyone elses posts has certainly helped me a lot.
thank you for the info. I only took 400 today but it was tough. It is almost psychological as I may not need it, i feel o.k., but am so used to taking a certain amount my mind thinks I should take more. Typical of anything one can abuse. Thanks for the advice, I  will keep at it.and tricks good luck, we all can use support and it is good you can get things off your chest. Take each day as a new opportunity.
Like I said I would keep it under 400 .Are you on any other meds and what are you taking the tram for.
Avis
Thanks juniper. How are you getting on by the way? I also posted a topic on one of the other forums within this site and got some good replies/advice. Have a look if you haven't already. The only way i can explain for you to find it is by typing tramadol in the search box. It comes up with about 7 or 8 other forums and they're all full of good info. Best of luck.
I have had cancer of the liver twice in the last 18 months which is devastating enough , however the pain i have endured is serious.I have been taking morphine for nearly 2 years and taking roughly 4000mg per week.2 weeks ago I decided to kick it and I did so suffering major withdrawal symptoms along the way for around a week.I have also been diagnosed in the last 2 weeks with peripheral neuropathy in my feet and hands which is also painful.I have not slept for 2 weeks through pain.I decided to take tramadol and the pain stopped pretty much straight away.I have had some sleep this week which is superb.I know I am going to be on pain killers for good now as it is irreversible and cannot cope with the pain.I do not want to go back onto morphine as I am proud of myself for kicking the habit even though I obviously needed it.Tramadol I fear will stop working after a while so does anyone have any ideas on a similar pain killer that will work long term ?anyone with similar experiences ? tips for pain relief etc.
thanks in advance.
ps I am in Scotland uk where the use of lyrica is not allowed through expense.
Help me!! I have been on Tramadol for about 2 yrs. At first it worked for my pain and made me feel very good and ontop of the world. After awhile I had to keep taking more and more until I was abusing it just to be pain free. It was a never ending cycle running out starting to go through withdrawls and then getting back. Well today is my ninth day off of it and I am in pure agony!!! I do not know what to do. I do not want to go back to it but, I can not live like this. How long do the withdrawls last?  
Jess,
This is a very old post hun.I would go up to the top of the page where it say post a question and star a new post ...Hang on the worst is almost over .I have been clean from tram for a bit over three months I promise life is better clean ......
Wanted to drop a line because some of the advice I'm reading here has me concerned.  For 18 months I was addicted to OxyContin & Heroin.  I was snorting 3-5 80mg OC's per day and 5-7 bags of Heroin per day as well.  I tried weening with Vicodin first, which didn't work(100 pills in 36 hours & still in withdrawl (withdrawal)).  Then I tried Tramadol, which surprisingly helped more with the withdrawl (withdrawal) than the Vics.  In the end, i always ended up back on the OC's & the Heroin.  I couldn't get past the first 36 hours of w/d.  Eventually I found a doctor who turned me onto Suboxone, & this has turned out to be a godsend.  The way Suboxone works is very simple.  It is a VERY strong opiate, stronger than morphine(8mg SUB = 120mg morphine). However, Suboxone does not effect the pleasure centers of the brain, so things like behavior & outlook are not effected by the drug.  Suboxone lasts much longer than typical opiates, so withdrawl (withdrawal) is less intense but over a longer period.  If tapered properly under supervision there will be little discomfort.  I recommend to anyone with a mild to moderate opiate addiction to look into Tramadol, severe addiction may need Suboxone.  Those of you who are looking for relief from your habit & dont think you can do it on your own should look into Suboxone.  Call an addiction specialist & make your intentions clear...that you want to use it to get through w/d & then be done with it.  A months prescription should be more than enough for a Tramadol addicition.  Suboxone is VERY safe.  It has a 32mg ceiling, meaning it is difficult to overdose on it & tolerance is less likely because higher doses won't effect you.  It does not effect the pleasure centers so the behavior is not reinforced as with other drugs.  Simply put, it makes your withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms go away without the usual "opiate" side effects.  You just feel NORMAL again.  The only thing I have to warn you about is mixing it with Valiums & other Benzos. At high doses this can be dangerous.  If you are desperate look into this drug.  It is the only thing that has worked for me and I feel that the side effects are blown WAY out of proportion.  It is safe & effective & better than going it alone, which almost never works.  I hope this was helpful to anyone who has read it.  I know your pain & your desperation.  Don't buy into the hype...look into Suboxone to get real help.
I was just prescribed Ultram (Tramadol) today in order to help me detox from my year of a 15/day norco habit. I took my last norcos today, so I'm going to start my "detox" tomorrow with the help of the Ultram. I'm just curious how long the withdrawal horror will last and how well does Ultram work in coming off of the stronger opiates like Norcos? Will I also have to "come off" the Ultram? I really can't afford to take too many days off work. I know that the 3rd and 4th day of detoxing is usually the worst. How do people deal with the anxiety and the mental "desparation" while they are detoxing alone at home? People say that the withdrawals could last months. Will I be able to function at all in order to go to work about 6 days after detox? Does anyone have any hope to share about feeling alot better after detox? I am just so tired of living in this addiction. I want out. I'm just scared off the pain to come. Any advice is appreciated!
I agree with you about Suboxen. Though I do have question for any one who knows the answer. Does Suboxen show up as a narcotic on drug test?
hi 8 years of 1000 mg a day of 200mg tram from uk 8 years $600 a month to them now they say no more they want a perctipt for the tram 8 years with them well now im in need of help dose any one no if there is any vitaims that will help  wife has lime we own our own appliance repair comp have to make 780 $ a day six days a week  just to pay adds in yellow pages and phones i cant even miss aday its me and my 22 year old son i dont no how to stop have to work all day theen come home and work more my wife is so so sick with lime from tick i cant miss work my bills are 14,000 a month we have home office but i run 6 calls and then come home to sick wife paper work please help me i dont want to loose evry thing  please email me dont no what to do love dave ultram is bad bad news cant type or spell to good sorry live in md
This is a very old thread that you posted your question on. Please start a new question (Copy & paste) , so that you will get more responses. And Welcome to the forum. We're here to help you.
3 years on Ultram. 2 nd week off. Terrrible side effects, can't work, limit sleep, lay around all day!! What a way to live but mo-betta than the alternative.  I only Hope & Pray that it last just 3-4 weeks then back to some normalcy of life so I can go back to work & support my wife & kids of 4. All the stories of the terrible withdrawl (withdrawal) rely gives emotional support that I am not the only one going thru this terrible thing.
Has ANYONE tried any type of herb or suppliment that helped with the runs or weak feelings or the aching in the body all day???
We need to form some sort of on line coalition to relay our nightmares to the FDA about this terrible drug that they say is harmess,
I hope & pray for all of you fighting the fight. Stick with it, dont give up.
peco
There are some supplements that will help you for mood and energy as long as you are not on any anti depressants ....Ltyrosine and 5hpt....You are almost past the worst.
congrats on your two weeks.
I am 45 days clean from tramadol. It took almost all this time to really get my energy level back but if you stay active it does help. I agree the FDA should know more about how really dangerous this drug is. Good luck and God bless
As someone else on here said, I use Ultram (tramadol) when I don't have percocet to avoid the withdrawal.  When I take the Ultram, I won't have any withdrawal at all but if I wouldn't have either one, I would go right into opiate withdrawal.  The good part of the tramadol though is I don't crave them the way I want the Percocets.  I'm going to try my best to keep cutting back the Ultram to wean myself off all of these meds...  I have been on pain meds for 10 years from an auto accident. I was 50 years old and had never taken a pain pill because if I did, it made me sick to my stomach.  I did get off everything for a couple of months but taking the Ultram just prolongs the inevitable, opiate withdrawal.  I have never had any side affects from Ultram except the loss of appetite.  To me, that is a good thing as it helps me lose weight.but what do you do if you still have the pain?  I have never had an addictive personaltiy my whole life.  I was a social smoker and drinker (not anymore) and never did pick up either habit. I hate being addicted to the pain meds.  I think probably everyone on here has taken more than they should at times or not taken it like they should, whether they admit it or not,  but I think I am going to try and wean myself off all of it without telling my doctor.  I really don't want "addict" plastered all over my folder.  Without my percocets, I usually take 4-6 Ultram a day.  Does anyone know how to wean yourself with the tramadol, or how much to cut back everyday?
bump
Tapering off the amount you are on is pretty easy, I did it rapidly (and genuinely thought I had the flu) then I went cold turkey. It's been 11 days. Today was bad. It's getting better as the night goes on (which is odd) and yesterday was half way good.

How do you get off them? Taper meaning take less each week or day depending on how much you can handle and then stop. If you are just dependant and not an addict it will be ok. If you are an addict, get all the tramadol out of the house.

You are going to feel mighty bad (like you have the flu) for about 3-4 days. By day 7 I started to feel a bit better. By Day 10 I thought I was ok. But then it can grab you and drag you under again.

Hi Lona, Hi Peco if you are still here (I hope I hope!)

Get off tramadol ASAP. It's freakin' poison.

You know that it is a horrible cocktail of faux-opiate and an antidepressant. So it's gonna not just make you sick it'll also mess with your thoughts. In my case, a huge amount of the darkness LEFT around day 6. Tramadol was making me have suicidal ideation.

It's funny cause this is the way I found this forum. It pulled up this exact thread. I read the whole thing. Was most struck by The Grappler because he (like me) is/was physically really strong but tramadol kicked his poattootieee. It was the same for me.

If you want you can taper, I did it fast and then ran outta pills and cold turkey there I was. It's been 11 days. Seems more like 11 years .... it has changed my sense of time certainly.

Glad to see you both; fellow Tramadol haters. *kicks Tramadol again*

Love and healing,
Emily

Hi Emily, I usually don't take the Tramadol unless I am out of percocets and then it is just to avoid opiate withdrawal.  Honestly, I did not know there was anything wrong with Tramadol until I started reading this forum.  You hear all the time about pain medication withdrawal but not Tramadol, or at least I've never heard of it.  I wonder if doctors know how serious it can be?   I guess I say that because the Tramadol prescription I get gives me 5 refills (which narcotics don't) and I have even gotten Tramadol as samples in a doctor's office.I have been on and off of tramadol for 10 years and I don't have any side affects that I know of unless I'm not taking enough of them to cause side effects.  Do you know if there is anything else to take that isn't addictive to ease the symptoms of withdrawal?  I commend you for "cold turkey", I did it once and I just don't think I could go through that again.  You may be right though, having any Percs or Tramadol in the house, would totally keep me from getting off them.  I'm going to try tapering with the Tramadol when I run out of Percs.  I don't get the "mental" craving for Tramadol so in my case, I think it would be easier to get off them.  I feel so weak mentally.  I've got to try though, I just hate being dependent on anything.  I think I can do it if my pain isn't too bad.  Wish me luck and the best of luck to you.  It sounds like you've got the worse part over with.  Congrats!
i was dependant on my DOC....therefore i am an addict.
It would seem that everyone is different but it sounds like no matter what quiting Tramadol is pure HELL.
I am in my 4th week & I still lay around most of the day with no stinking energy, blotted like a blimp & eating puts me out like a light. Before as in now I have always worked out at 6am with bike, rower & weights. so weather someone is in shape or not is not going to make the trip off the hell highway any mo-betta!! ! ! !
I just pray this is the last week of this ****. If not I must say nothing would be better than having 1 or 2 tram... to get thru this.
I have also beeen to a homeopath doctor, $1,000 of blood, saliva, & peee test. He jjust wanted to give me about $4,500 worth of shots.  Asked him for something to help with the withdrawls, $20 worth of drops under the tongue, Passiflora Plex, that does NOT work.
Oh Lord let this be the last week.
To ALL that are going thru the withdrawal **** hang in there, God Bless and stay Strong.
Peace,
Peco
I have been on lortab on and off for over 4 years, the past three I have taken ulram on a daily basis, my tolerance went up so I took more. It was at first a perscription for my painful ongoing medical reasons and it slowly creeped up and turned into a monster. I just stopped my Lortab abd Ultram 3 days ago, on day 2 I ended up in the ER with seizure like activity, feeling as if I was absolutely insane. The Dr. explained to me that when you are on a particular drug(some are worse than others) it takes over your body's natural process and by just stopping I didn't give my body any warning. I have NEVER had this happened when I would stop my Lortab's or Percocets in the past. This was all Ultram, it's a very sneaky drug if you ask me. It can be your bestfriend while your taking it it does what it is suppose to do, but as soon as I tried to go without it threw my body and mind in to a crazy house. I have tremors, depression, my vision is off when I look at things. I just don't want to be around anyone, I just want to feel normal again. The Dr. said it takes time for the body to build back natural receptors in the brain so I just have to suck it up and get through it , but this is not easy at all.I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to or has a clue of what I am going through. I just wish the world would stop and wait up for me, but we all know how that goes.
Love and Light****Jami
I was using heroine and dilodid (sp?)  . I tried a few times to just quit cold turkey but the withdrawals were awful. I found that the anxiety was the worst part. So then I decided to go to the methadone clinic. But that is such a pain to go there every morning and pay them $13 a day for what is really a government approved dope. Then recently my doctor prescribed me tramadol for my carpul tunnel syndrom (syndrome). This doctor knows nothing about my drug abuse history/treatment. So when I researched Tramdol I find out that it can be used to help opiate withdrawal. So I stopped going  to the methadone clinic yesterday and I feel horrible today. Will the tramadol help??
How many tramadol are people actually taking on a daily basis....REALLY/HONESTLY?  Are you talking about 20-25+ pills a day?  I cannot imagine if you're taking what is being prescribed (less than 400mg) that the affects are that dibilating, but then again, I haven't stopped.  Would love to hear about the quantities you are actually eating a day.

Curious
Recently had L5 disc placement fused with L4.  Got oxycontin which was a big mistake.  Was up to 400mg a day.  Mostly snorting them.  Worst come down I think I have ever experienced.  I wasdown to 2 7.5 percs that I take 3 times a day.  I really don't want to be on them anymore so I just switched to tramadol.  Should I expect some withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms from the 6 percs even on the tramodol?  Thanks for any responses!
It's hard to tell, fishpro619. Most people say that tramadol alleviates withdrawal from opioids. I know that other opioids relieve withdrawal from tramadol. Or at least for a couple of a hours. A lot of people find that tramadol keeps opioid withdrawal away for hours on end.

You must be warned. Tramadol causes dependency as well. Similar to the opioid AND anti-depressant type. Withdrawal from tramadol is in some cases worse than with opioids because of this. Don't believe me? Look it up. You'll find something.
Hello i have been using tramadol so that i may stop taking codine ibuprofen tablets. I initially started taking them to stop migraine headaches but the headaches stopped a while ago.
I was used to taking the tablets for a long time and the tranquil effects were encouraging me to take more of them.
I ended up taking 3 boxes in a day at one point - over 90 tablets with 12mg codine each and 500mg of ibuprofen.
I was getting stomach pains as well as being very dependent on them and they were costing me allot to buy from the chemist as well.
I managed to cut down to 48 tablets a day which was 2 boxes but my health was starting to suffer due to them.
I went to see my doctor and he prescribed me with tramadol 50mg tablets.
At first i managed to cut the other tablets down to a box of 24 before hand and when the doc gave me the tramadol i took 10 in a day at first and i suffered some withdrawal for about a week of taking them but they helped me to overcome it better.
Now i have managed to get down to 3 a day - one for morning, one in the afternoon, and one before sleep.
They have helped me allot - i am hoping my doctor can give me some more at a lower dose because i still find them hard to stop.
I would not recomend drug taking to anyone and if you do get migraines it is better to get some other treatment because opiates or tramadol are adictive.
I am ok now but i do want to quit the 3 a day that i still take.
HELLO this is pretty much the greatest website ever!!!  Ok so I was hit by a damn car and have had to take percs for the last two years.  as you can probably guess I now have a huge tolerance.  If I don't have them I feel like absolutely awful.  I don't want to live like this.  But the back pain is actually worse if not equal to the withdrawal.  I was given Ultram or Tramadol and it seems to help.  It even seems to reduce the withdrawal except I am still sweaty.  But whatever.  I haven't gone this long without a perc for almost a year.  Why can't the doctors fix me???  I don't want to take Ultram any longer either.  In a perfect world I wouldn't end up having a huge tolerance to the percs...  Or maybe there would be a doctor that could actually fix me!!!  Anyone have any ideas???  Is there anything I can do to be normal?  Or do I have to just tough it out?  
I just want to add, STAY STRONG PEOPLE!!!!!  
this is a very old thread but I have to tell you and anyone else that will listen.... TRAMADOL WITHDRAWAL is worse then any oxycottin or heroin withdrawal I have ever seen. If they use tramadol to help with opiate withdrawal... what do they do to help with tramadol withdrawal. Tramadol IS NOT A MIRICAL PILL. They want to use the weissmann treatment on me for my withdrawal of tramadol which is the same as heroin and other opiods. In my opninion dont start. There really needs to be a class action law suit against the producers of this Mirical Pill named tramadol saying how its not addictive and selling it without prescription over the internet.
I have a question if anyone could help me out it would be wondeful. I just got out of rehab at the end of december and was clean for 13 days. On new years day I woke up in horrible pain in my back to the point I could not dress myself or barely walk. I have had 3 back surgeries and 2 in the past year the 3rd being major surgery with rods being put in my back, after all these problems I became addicted to vics and norco. Anyway on new years day I went to the hospital and they gave me a script for 5/500 mgs of vics only 12. I took only one to 2 a day and was on them for 8 days. My question is, is it possible that I will go through withdrawal again from taking them only for 8 days?
You mentioned being addicted to tramadol/ultram.  My advice is to get the hell off it as soon as possible. My husband and I are both addicted to it and would do anything to avoid its withdraws. They are what I would describe as hideous and very long lasting.  We got vicodin to help us come down off the tramadol because we're sick and tired of being controlled.  The withdraws from vicodin is tremendously more pleasant than coming off tramadol. Its half life is way longer than vicodin.  If you can, get off it, do.

I can only speak for me and my husband.  The withdraws from tramadol is cruel and unusual. Rage, nervousness, at least one solid week of no sleep. I get restless leg syndrome to the umpth degree. Writhing around constantly tossing and turning. Being shocked awake every five minutes so when you wake up you feel like you've not rested. Crying easily, lots of anger. It's like you've  slipped into the 7th circle of hell. The worst is feeling your heart pound just walking into the next room but THE worst of all is that it screws up your temperature centers in your body. We refer to it as a wicked drug. You go extremely hot one minute and then freezing cold the next.

The slightest movement causes your skin to crawl from head to toe whilst you're in a cold sweat. Constantly throwing the covers off and on. It's a living nightmare. The slightest noise shocks your nervous system because your nerves are completely frayed.

The point is, while this drug is non-narcotic, it's every bit...no, it's WORSE than narcotic withdraw because it lasts and lasts far longer than say, vicodin or other breakthrough pain meds.

If you've never taken it, DON'Tand if you're on it, step down gently and slowly!  And if you have to be on it, DON'T abuse it!  Follow the script precisely or take less tgan prescribed. Don't let your body become dependent on it. It's truly one wicked and highly addictive drug and I'm sorry I ever tried it.  
Hi, i'm 23 and have had trouble sleeping ever since my honours year at university. I have restless leg syndrome (look it up... it *****) and although people say it's psychological, it still stops me sleeping. My mother takes tramadol for pain, but i've read that it's also prescribed for restless leg syndrome, so i started taking 100-150mg per night and it really helps...

It's scary what i'm reading here though... Can you still become dependent on the dose i'm on?
Yes you can!  This is an old thread though.  You might want to post a new question on your own, so you get more answers!  : )

Good luck!

TH
the dentist asked me to take Tramadol to help with pain. i take only one at night, instead of the 4 a day he asked. i am managing the pain fine. but after hearing about all of your letters. F---K it, i will live with my pain. thanks.
I've been going through withdrawl (withdrawal) for 2 days now.  I am using ultram to help with the wkithdrawl i take 1 in the am and 1 before bed.  I just hope it doesn't prolong the withdrawl (withdrawal).  I only plan on taking them for 4 days.  I hope that the withdrawl (withdrawal) will be over after that time and the ultran doesn't prolong it longer than the normal 4 or 5 days .. I need my life back!!  Any advise on that taper would be greatly appriciated.  Thanks!
Yes, the ultram will prolong opiate withdrawal, because basically if you are taking ultram, you are still putting an opiate in your system....plus a much more dangerous drug to boot if you ask me!  I would flush them and get the WDS overwith now!
Thanks for your feedback.  Maybe ill get some buds instead.  I didn't realize it would prolong the withdrawl (withdrawal).  What a dissapoinment now I feel like I'm back at square 1!!
Yep, I know.  If you are talking about pot, that would be a big mistake.  It could even make you feel worse.  Kind of like drinking during WDs.  It's just not an effect that you're looking for at all!  

How about just get some OTC stuff that is in the Thomas Recipe and go for it?  There is no need in adding more drugs to your system when what you are trying to do is RID your system of them, right?  Not trying to be harsh at all, but do you really want to get clean?  If so, stop using all together!!! : )  You might be amazed at how easy it is????
im going to be starting on subs tomorow unless tramadol will work i know that suboxon is an opiate so u can get addicted but is tramadol really that bad that u can get addicted too? and sorry about my spelling but i am sweating and panicing bc i have ran out of options

I have had 2 siezures in the last 2 years--dosen't matter how much you take or how long--it just happens without warning-very embarrasing if you are not @ home!!--no other problems though
Please try to find another alternative than the tramadol.  It's poison in my book and just awful to get off of - the detox is so bad - and I believe it's because of the anti-depressant in the tramadol - makes the withdrawal absolutely horrible.

And to blt1964 - "no other problems" outside of the seizures?  I don't understand what you mean here - seizures in my book are a HUGE problem and tramadol has caused them in many many people - so not sure what you mean by "no other problems"?  Tramadol addiction is a HUGE problem for many of us.
I am currently taking tramadol a rx i just pick up from pharmacy. I have been out of hydrocodone for three days now. And, the tramadol just barely got here in time. I have been an opiate addict everything from vic and up for about three and a half years.
The FIRST pain pill i ever  ever took was given to me by my husband, And now I have wrecked myself. And spend a million nights thinking about how happy i was before i was addicted to this crap.
I have ulcerative colitis similiar to crohns disease, and So you could imagine what withdrawals to me , and i have severe arthritis. I am 25. yeah thats correct.
Anyone have suggestions? - But i do know personally when i am in withdrawal tramadol saves my *** big time, has anyone else had this experience?
DON'T!!!!!! sweet Jesus this stuff is worse then any narcotic out there!!! I had a knee replacement and needed to go into rehab because i had been on vicoden for about 3 years, i was taking the perscribed amount, just couldnt stop taking them without horribile withdrawals, so in 2008 i checked myself int brighton rehab. My God! it was holy hell! I had no idea the meds they were giving me was suboxen.   After i got out, they make you go to the clinic to get these pills once a week pee in a cup and sit in an hour narcotic class. I did not want to be on this drug. I still felt like i was high. why>>> cuz you are suboxen is an opiate without the buzz. but for me i felt the same acted the same, the buzz left a long time ago, i just needed them to funtion, so i stopped taking them after a month. HOLY WITHDRAWALS!!!!! worse then any, i started reading about this drug. it was new. they did not know how to get people off it. I almost paid 7 grand to go to one of those places where they detox you in 48 hrs on a machine. f that i found out it could kill you.  so i started reading surfing the net. i read where one guy took meth ( his drug of choice) after he stopped taking suboxen, you have to wait until the withdrawals start, or you will get really sick. he weaned off suboxen by taking meth again and slowly weaning himself off meth.  well I got some vicoden waityed for the withdrawals to start. suboxen lasts sometimes up to a week in your system. Oh before the vicoden i was literally just taking slivers of suboxen to stop the withdrawals. well i knew going back on vicoden was dangerous, but no doctor knew what to do. and brighton rehab wanted me to stay on the suboxen, It took about 60 pills and 1 month but i finally weaned off and was my normal self. That stuff is great for people who have long term chronic pain and need to take painkillers for the rest off your life, but Im still waiting to hear some bad news about this drug, also a good drug for heroin users, but if you seriously just like the buzz from narcotics, do not take suboxen . you will have a problem getting off it, and you will be searching the streets for it. I had so much of that crap left, i could of sold them for hundreds, but i would not do that to someone. It is a bad bad drug. stay away if you can. i accidently took one about a month ago they are peach color and i thought it was a different medicine. Wow was i stoned!!!!! I figured out what it was, and thanked god! that I only had the one. i was fine the next day. you have to take them for about 2 weeks before you are addicted again. please, stay away from this drug, wean off your vics percs or whatever, but if you go into rehab just ask what they are giving you before you just pop it. freakin idiots, still wanna kick their butt for putting me thru that horrible time. thanks for reading. Kat
I guess everyone is different.  I use Tramadol to control my arthritis pain. I am 61 and still have to work everyday. It works very good at what it is supposed to do. I stop taking on the weekends or if I do not have to work with no withdrawal. Some times for over a week. I do have some of the side effects but worth it not having to deal with the pain. I can't imagine taking some of the doses that are listed here.  I take no more than 250mg a day if I have a long work day. I could see where excessive amounts  could be  a problem so I just don't do that.
sure by now you have your answer about suboxone but I'm sure no one told you what my pharmacist told me...an independant showed once you start on them its impossible to get off..tried cutting dose down tried extending the time between doses nothing works she might be right
I take Tramadol, Hydrocodone, MsContin ER and IR every single day. I must say after reading all of this, I am worried and concerned about my meds taken daily. I am on many other meds, to include nausea medication due to being nauseated all the time....which is a result of taking the cocktail of meds I mentioned above. My largest concern is the severe withdrawals, bc with the combo I take, ALL have serious withdrawal complications.
You might go up to the top and click on the orange post a question button and copy and paste your need/question.  That will start a new thread and hopefully get you some responses that will probably get missed on this older thread.  I really think you can get better help that way.  Good luck and keep posting.  This community is pretty good to help.
So basically my Dr. has prescribed me a plethora of pain meds, but the Tramadol I never worried about and only take it when I am running low on all my other pain meds, to supplement and get me thru until next refill. Now by reading this post and the information provided by everyone, I'm concerned. Here is why...if Tramadol is so severe as far as withdrawal,then along with my 6-9 Hydrocodone a day, my 4 MS Contin ER and 4 MS Contin IR (extended and instant release) then adding the Tramadol is just terrible right? My concern is the addiction part. Obviously since I have been taking all that I do for several years now, addiction is obvious. However, should I eliminate the Tramadol due to it being more severe as far as addiction and withdrawals? Is anyone taking medication similarly to the amount and different types that I do? Any input, info, advice and knowledge of any kind is welcomed. The medication is for the many medical issues I suffer from and I legitimately get prescriptions from my Dr every month ( some are considered 'controlled substance' so I have to get a hard copy in office every month). Ok, well any comments or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks for reading!
Start a new thread hon.  Look at the post just above the one you posted to see how.  It will help you get the info you need.  
Hi.. I am a university student who is currently addicted to tramadols.
I was prescribed these medicines when I had a knee injury. It was supposed to help me bear the pain but instead;; I found that it helped with my general well-being of life.

I started taking 3 (50mg) of tramadol a day to what is now 8 (50mg) a day.
I certainly can say that these pills have the ability to alter one's mood. I feel much more happier and warmer when I take these pills and tend to get irritated easily too.

I had been taking these pills for about a month now and yesterday when I tried to stop taking it.. (because my knee is fine now) I had some withdrawal effects such as sweating (alot).. more like cold sweats and getting really restless and irritated with everything.

I am worried that I might already have become addicted to it and I am right now only using it to alter my mood. (recreational purposes)

For the 'helping with opiate withdrawal' part... I only suggest it if someone is seriously addicted to other opiates.. because tramadol itself holds a different story of addiction.

Take care.

I'm not sure if this sight is still active but do u think tramadol could help with WD from a 500 miligram a day addiction to hydro?
Hi wasted Welcome to the forum.. you are posting on a old thread if you scroll to the top you will see back to the forum, hit that it will take you to the current board on top you will see a post a question on the left. post there You will get more support on your own thread. I wish you well. lesa
Please post your question on a new thread but I did want to answer you in case you are not good with navigating around websites - Don't be misled regarding Tramadol - it is an opiate-like drug and if you take it while you are withdrawing your withdrawal will not be as bad because your body is getting an opiate like substance so all you are doing is prolonging your withdrawal.

If you are withdrawing from opiates replacing that opiates (whatever it is) with another opiate like substance is not the way to go.

I'm 43 days off hydros and it can be done, it isn't fun but you can do it.  The only way over opiate addiction is straight through it, withdrawals and all.

Please post for support per instruction of prior poster - this board is very active and we've all been where you are right now.
Hy what's up?

Frst things first stop taking the vlium!  Benzodiazepines are the worst drug to withdraw from.  They make opiate withdrawals seem like the sniffles.  I actually told a doctor about my addiction to pain killers and he prescribed me tramadol.  I was clean for about a month and then started taking the trammys and now Im walking a slippery slope of relapse.  To answer your question though the absolute best way to effectively stop taking opiates is to ween off your drug f choice by using lower and lower doses of said drug.  If you have friends or family that are supporting you use them to lean on.  Whatever your normal dose is or was take 3/4 of that for 5 days or so, then go to half your normal dose for a week or so, then 1/4 for 10 days until you feel comfortable not taking them.  For instance I used to take 5 30mg. perks a day.  So to get off I went to 4 for 5 days 3 for a week then then 2.5 for 10 days...so on and so forth.  Its how doc's bring you off of them and it allows your body to start producing the vital chemicals that you stop producing in an opiate driven haze.  Good luck its one of the hardest things you will ever do.  It can and is done everyday and if you screw up one day start over the next.
For me, tramadol is an absolute life saver. My story is the same one that's been retold 1,000 times. I got my first vicodin from a co-worker when I was a teenager, and it was the best feeling I'd ever experienced. I think I was actually hooked from the very first time I took a lortab. I didn't know the difference between opiates and others pills, so I swallowed everything that I found. Muscle relaxers, valiums, xanax's, ecstasy. I found out that nothing compared to lortabs. My friend had a script, and I used to buy 10 to relax on the weekends. Not long after, I received a big raise at work, and all of my extra money started going to pain pills. Soon, just weekends wasn't good enough. I started taking them after work on weekdays. Then I started taking 1 or 2 at work. Then I started taking several at work.

I got to where my body was constantly craving opiates. Even when I was buzzed, I could feel minor withdrawal pains. Soon I was buying my friend's entire script. I was buying half of 2 other peoples' scripts. I found a doc to give me my own script. Plus, people knew if they needed extra cash, I was always buying. So I'd get a random phone call or text every so often about someone wanting to sell tabs or percs.

It was a constant chase. If I wasn't at work, I was either on tabs, or chasing them. The only reason my work didn't suffer was because I needed it to maintain my drug needs.

But to get to the point. Tramadol helped me get away from pain killers. They mask the withdrawals, but the opiate withdrawal is still there. I could feel leg cramps for the first week of switching to tramadol. But it was nowhere near the unbearable leg cramps i get cold turkey. Lucky for me, I don't tolerate trams very well. They make me dizzy and they make me want to vomit. I don't get pleasure from tramadols, so I don't have any urge to take them other than to help with withdrawals. Within a few weeks, I was able to ween down to only a couple trams a day. After quitting, I'd randomly get mild withdrawal symptons. Then I'd take one as needed. I still get my prescription every month, and unlike before, they work when I'm in pain.

My financial situation was changed. I have my own house vs roommates when I had plenty of extra money to buy pills. Now, I can't afford my previous habit, even if I wanted to and I've lost contact with my old suppliers. If nothing else, this keeps me in check. You've gotta break the hold that pills have on you and either give them up completely, or set up some sort of oversight that prevents you from getting out of hand.
I have a script for 90 norco for back pain but abused and found myself buying an extra 60 to 90 at $3 a pop every month, decided last week to put an end to it and I'm having crazy withdraws. I have a untouched script for 150 tramadol and in an effort to beat this I'm going to try to taper from 6 a day to 1 a day over the next 2 weeks then trash the rest. I took 5 today so far and it's helped a bit. Hoping to refill my xanax and try the Thomas Recipe along with this. Being an addict *****. I want to be free of having to take anything and be a happy person again. I know I should swallow my pride and ask my doc for help but I'm a stubborn ******* and want to do this for myself, but it would be nice if it didn't hurt so damn bad...I'm mentally tough usually and can handle tons of pain but wd's make you an emotional mess....hoping all the pain will bring stregth...i will post if the tramadol help and good luck to all detoxing...freedom is around the corner
TRAMADOL/ULTRAM is more evil and worse than the regular opiates. It has an anti-depressant component similar to Effexor and long term abuse at 20 50mg pills a day is common among abusers. The recovery time can be MONTHS. And I do mean MONTHS of insomnia, restlessness, and terrible depression. If someone wants to taper, use your regular D/O/C and stay away from Tramadol. Seizures are not reported during Tramadol detox, as far as I know, but resumption can bring on a grand mal seizure as can high doses. I exchanged Hydrocodone for Tramadol because it was cheaper. The recovery when I realized that 18-20 pills a day wasn't enough was far worse than Hydrocodone...for me. As they say...everyone is different. I agree with the writer who says that abstinence is the best medicine!
Thanks for that information mrmichael67 - I am a very worried mother, my son broke his bacjk in 2008 and has been prescribed Tramadol. He has a fit last week, was sent to hospital via a 999 call - He did not have full ingestigation of CT head scan to illiminate Epilespy. The A & E doctor assumed that he had accidently overdosed on Tramadol. However I am scared and so is my son. He is afraid of Hospitals and I am affraid that if he does not have investigations he could quite well fit again.  
Sorry fo your Pain,I have RSD a nerve disorder a lot of pain!My son found this Dr.Demonte in Rhode Island.I went in 11 Pain and on the third day treatment I was in no pain!I meet a Lady that had your same condition and she gave up HOPE on this Problem.She found thi Dr. and he had Help her!She said he gave her Life Back!
  This Dr. puts you on amachine for45 mins. a Day,this Machine is a MIRCLE MACHINE!You can find him on seach for CPR Teatment,Rhode Island!Tell them Bonnie Harvey told you about them!He can HELP,you'll FEEL so much Better!I Felt Better than I had in over 12 yrs.Good Luck!
I am just today not taking any percocet but have tramodol from when I had surgery a few weeks ago...iv been taking percocet for quiet a few years...do you think it's safe that I take tramodol for the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptms?
I was put on tramadol about 6 months ago & i can only take 3 a day before it knocks me out for 24-30 hrs. I have noticed lately that i seem to need the tramadol more than before and im worried that maybe im starting to become addicted. It's bad enough i have a little container attached to my keys that holds some of the pills so i always have them with me. Ive been popping a pill every 4 hrs & then drinking coffee to focus at work. Any ideas?
I have Bipolar and I'm on meds for for stability and have some very bad lows.  I have been abusing DHC (which is a much stronger drug, unscripted) with Tramadol up to 10 50mg in a day.  I was in deep with these 2 drugs, both opiates.  I would have 2/3 good (good! I really mean functional) days a week while I abused Tramadol and the other day I would take a maintenance dose to stave off the withdrawals.  Half the problem with this drug is that it includes chemicals which act on the same brain receptors as an anti-depressant.  

I started a very small dose of Paroxetine (12.5mg) a month before I'm now at 50mg or even no opiates in a day.  All I can tell you is that it is like a curtain is lifted from your mind, instead of riding the tide and carrying on in a stupor, you start to feel again, which in itself can be a little painful but do you remember how you felt when your favourite song came on when you were out or driving along, no, you probably don't, it's difficult in the grip of Tramadol addiction.  I just wanted to share this, I feel as a Bipolar person with very bad depression this may lift your hopes, finger x'ed.  This drug will ultimately make your depression much worse than it was before..

Keep yourself busy even if gardening or cleaning if you're not working, exercise helps a lot too and I dare say an anti-depressant may help too.  It is said that you shouldn't use certain SSRI's with this drug, I checked with my pharmacist and Doc, you should do the same..

signed.. 2 & a1/2 years of abuse, god knows what it's done to my body.

Cannot begin to describe how much ur post has helped me this am!!! This is day 1 detox for me from tabs!!! I have over a hundred trams the dr gives me, but from readin on here im not sure wth to do!!!
I have been on viky "vicodine" for about 3 years now, it got bad last yr. Real bad, i ran out a few times and wanted to die. However, i just ran out and took my last pills 2 days ago, thankfully my friend gave me 15 Tramadol and i have decided to quit Viky. I took my first couple of tram last night, no wd so far, took two more today and still good . So far so good, hoping and praying i can get through this painfully! I know by now if i hadn't had any vikes for two day i would be in a fetal position. So after im done with the tram hopefully i will have winged myself from vikes. Wish me luck, best to u all.
Hi there!  You've posted to a really old thread.  You might want to post a new question so others will be along to comment.  I know that trams are another opoid and when you run out of those you will most likely go into withdrawals.  Don't trade off one pill for another if you can help it.  I speak from experience.  I've taken tramadol to ease Vicodin w/d and it does but ultimately in the end when you give it all up, plan to experience some symptoms.  Just try to work through it and know that it will get better in a few days.  Others will be along to lend their support....post often.  Good luck!
Hi, I came across this site searching for info on detoxing with Tramadol.

I was addicted to norco. I decided enough, never again, I'm done. Went to my medical provider who has a chemical addiction program and got on an 8 day regimen of Tramadol to detox. I have 2 days left at 3 per day. I quit them at 6 days cos I want all opoids out of my body. lol. Guess I'm impatient to get this show on the road.

I've not taken a Tramadol for 19 hours and feel basically fine except for a little weak and tired. Got bad diarrhea yesterday and still have it so I think that's making me feel weak too.

I've seen many say Tramadol is no good to detox but it's been a miracle drug for me. Just an occasional nervousness in my stomach but that's it for physical w/d symptoms. Take Clomodine now and then, mostly at night hopefully to help me sleep. I haven't had much sleep in 4 nights. But I am looking to the future and a life without addiction! I am excited I finally did this.

In my research on Tramadol, I've read nothing about it being an anti-depressant.

Also, I've read comments that the next few days without the Tramadol I could feel worse before I feel better. Remember, I only took the Tramadol for 6 days. I'm hoping to start feeling more lively in another couple of weeks.
In my own opinion, and I have a lot of experience with every kind of opiate at high doses over years....run, don't walk away from Tramadol.  The worst in the world.  The synthetic  properties bind to almost every receptor in your brain and body including fat cells which are the slowest to turn over...so stays in your body longer than most others.  For anyone going through WD suggest you read EmilyPost journal on here going back to 2007.  She was a pioneer of tramadisaster withdrawl (withdrawal).  Gave me much needed info on what to expect and how to cope.
Yup, I read some of your posts and remember you referring people to the emily post journal. I can't seem to find it.

Can you tell me how to get to it?

Thanks much!
I'll send you a thread that has a link to her profile page.  Scroll down and look at the left side of her profile and you will see her recent journals.  Click "see all" to view older ones.  Good luck and let me know if is helps...the really old ones helped me through all kins of crazy hours!!!
http://www.medhelp.org/personal_pages/user/544292

This is the start...you can paste this into your bowser to get to EmilyPost journal!!
Thank you!!

8 nights with little sleep. I just wanna sleep! lol