Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
trust

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

trust

i have a question about trust. i have been lying about my pills for about a year now and all of the lies  came out this sunday. i'm in na and i can tell you now with a clear mind that I WILL NEVER TOUCH ANOTHER BLUE PILL AGAIN. I know most don't believe, but i do. anyway, i have destroyed any trust that he has in me. we have a wonderful, respectful relationship and now i feel that i have screwed it up completely. anyway, can anyone tell me that they had a trust issue too and what was the outcome. can trust come back? i know if it was me that it may take time but it would come back. i'm just hurting inside and want to make it all go away.
L
trust is something you must earn.  and once you have broken that trust it takes a very long to time to earn it back....a long time of total honesty....no white washing...honesty completely.  during this time you must be forth right without having to  be asked.  and you cant be upset when you are questioned and you will be.  give it time, time is a great healer.  good luck
cathy
Of course you can win back his trust....  Trust is a gift that is given freely in the beginning but when we break that trust it can be difficult to get back.  You just need to prove yourself.  If you continue to break that trust you may never get it back.  Think of it as an opportunity.... you can either take it or leave it....  Make sense?  I have lost people's trust in the past but managed to get it back.  It wasn't easy and at times was very difficult.  

He's hurt right now....  That pain will subside over time but again... You need to prove it to him.  Believe me... I'm in a similar situation right now with my wife and daughter and I'm doing EVERYTHING in my power to fix it.  You're on the right track believe it or not and it was probably a God send that it all came out on Sunday.....  Keep up the good work and keep posting.....  Good luck to you and God bless....

Trout

How long or are you off the pills??? As Cathy says trust is something that has to be earned. I tell my 17 year old this almost everyday and I've had to tell it to myself many times. I have been clean a year and it took my husband sometime and changing somethings to be able to trust me again. I believe he trust me now because he has given me back some of the things that I had taken advantage of like our checking account to name one...
Be strong keep us posted on your story
You already did the hard part of gaining trust, you were honest that takes allot of strength, now let your life be as clear as glass for your partner even the ugly Trust can be regained as you are honest with yourself and honest with him respect will return and along with that trust. Give it time Limbo
I have found that people who love me...really love me...will forgive and forget...If I am sticking with my goals and playing by the rules..trust comes back quickly if the person loves you
thank you sooo much from my soul for your answers. i still can't stop crying right now. i will keep my life "as clear as glass"! for him. i love that quote. I'll keep it with me always. i will keep you posted on the progress. but i cannot tell you how much your words have given me strength. thank you again.
L
i've been clean since sunday morning. i almost lost my husband to a heart attack on new years day 2008, i'm not going to loose him over a blue pill. i don't know if anyone remembers, but it was one of my "best friends" that were giving them to me. I no longer talk to her. and as for the bank account and cell phone, I gave those to him without him asking for them. I'll do what it takes to win it back, it just hurts to hear that someone cannot trust you, you know?
L
Yep, I know but we put ourselves in these situations now we have to build the trust back. He loves you and it will be fine just show him what you can do...And stay away from that BF you got to seperate yourself until you are stronger and maybe forever if she is not good for you. I picked the pills many times over my family how crazy is that? But I have learned from my mistakes and you will to and move past this. You have some hard days ahead so be strong:-)
thank you so much, i'll keep you posted.
L
You sound alot like me. I've been 9 days clean now and the w/d's are slowly but surely getting better. I also had to hand over the checkbook and my debit and credit cards, and my husband broke my cell phone as well ( he was a little angry when he found out ) which at first it made me so angry that he did that but after a couple of days detoxing i'm glad he did. You have to take away the things that are going to make you wanna slip up. And i know it's going to take a long time before i can gain his trust back but i'm willing to do anything i can to make it happen. And yes it hurts to lose that trust, but i'm the one that did this not him and he has every right not to trust me u know. But good luck to you. By the way, i also live in alabama. Where in alabama r u from if you don't mind me asking???