Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tryin to come down off of precription meds at home

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

i first started doing hydrocodone in february of 2001. For no medical reason I did them for the high i moved on to stronger painkillers like percocets,oxyicodine,even oxyicotin a couple months later.4 months ago i weined my self down to no painkillers. I got stressed and started taking them again this time i only stick to the hydrocodone. I take around 5 pills a day. (5milligrams) I started weining my self todayand it's been un comfortable as far as the aches and pains are there any success storys on weining from home or do you have any tips on how i can make my self more comfortable I don't feel as if i'm far enough in this for inpatient treatment. Like i said before I've gotten off of far stronger pain killers.I really wanna do it this time I am a mother of 5 children 3 livin and 2 angel babies I have a lot to live for and i don't wanna lose my life behind a high i don't wanna be in a treatment center because I have a family that is very dependant upon me and i really need to be here for them. Ive been taking these pain killers for close to 8 months and i'm ready to to get my life back. any word of incouragement will be well apprechiated.
thanks
DarkAngel
Welcome to the forum Darkangel. Many of us here have been through exactly what you are going through, and are in various stages of handling it.

I abused hydrocodone for years, I first got them due to chronic pain. I still have the chronic pain, but have been clean of the hydrocodone for 3 months to the day. It is doable, but hard.

To answer your question, yes there is a lot you can do to help yourself nutrionally. I'll give you a start here, but email me at ***@**** if you'd like a more detailed approach and more info.

First, start taking the following supplements:
L-Tyrosine  (if you are going cold turkey, this is a must.  Find the right dose for you. anything over 1000mg makes me feel shaky, but some folks tolerate up to 2,000mgs, especially in detox.) The Tyrosine helps restore the dopamine and norepinephrine that opiates drain.
A good multimineral tablet or liquid, that has zinc, magnesium and manganese. This is extremely helpful.
A good multivitamin
The amino acid 5 HTP, which will restore normal seratonin. Take between 50 and 100mg, either once or up to 3 times a day. Find the lowest dose that works best for you.

Good luck with your taper, and please feel free to post here and email us and get as much support as you can.

love,
WW
Good advice from WW, follow it and it will help tremendously.
If your on FIVE 5mg a day, make sure you spread them out throughout the day, this will help lessen the crappy feeling.  Every 3-6 days reduce it by 1 pill. The rule I found is "the lower the slower" for having the least amount of discomfort.
As you get down to 2 a day or so, try breaking them in half to spread it out through the day better.  You can do it, most of us here have at some point.  That's the easy part actually - the hard part is once your off, staying off.  But, your at the right place and it sounds like your committed to it --you'll do it!  Take care,  Durty
Welcome to the forum. Listen to WW as she speaks from experience. Detox can be done, recovery attained and lives restored. You will get all the support in the world here from people have been in your shoes or are still in your shoes. Lean on us when the need arises.
GWH, I must tell you that for me the mental cravings were far and above harder then the physical, which was no picnic itself, but the mental lasted longer. I found that when the "Dragon" whispers, as I call them, knocked at my door I would come here and read and post till they passed. They never lasted longer then a few minutes at a time and by occupying my time with something else, they seemed to pass and came less frequently as time marched on. Stay determined on on the path to freedom. There is Light at the end of the tunnel. I shall keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck on your journey.
Power & Magick 2 U all,
Wiz
Hi GWH,
At this point, the best advice I can offer is to get the support of other recovering addicts to help you learn to fight the mental cravings.

Try to write down the reasons you chose to get clean to begin with. keep a recovery journal, and write down why you want to stay clean. When a craving hits, do something different right away.  Kip,  a poster here, told me that cravings usually last around 20 seconds. You can handle 20 seconds at a time!  You might need to handle a lot of different chunks of 20 seconds, but if you break it down to a small choice, it helps.

Have you tried NA meetings or counseling? Both help.

good luck and let us know how you are doing.

love,
WW
Hi everyone, I recently noticed all your postings and had to write.  I have had 6 knee surgeries, two reconstructive.  I started with vicoden and percoset and slowly went to buying drugs on the street, mainly Oxy-contin.  I always thought I was fine, until I realized I was taking about 120mg a day sometimes less sometimes more.  Never mind the money I was spending, I am completely dependant on them.  I just recently started taking 5-10mg of methadone and it has worked well.  I'm on my 5th day without oc's and my 1st without methadone.  I feel fine physically but mentally I want to go back and buy more oxycontin.  I NEED ADVISE SOON!!
WW:

Thank you for the quick response, it really did help me.  However, I had already failed, I didn't buy anything but that is because I couldn't get it...... I'm hoping I can prevent myself from doing that again, I don't know.  I never tried NA cause I was never "that bad".........right. I'm thinking it might be the right option right about now.  My brother is trying to help, he was worse then I was but he got himself turned around, and is trying his hardest to do the same for me.  I will keep you posted, but thank you so much for your time, I really do appreciate it.

P.S - it makes it even harder because I'm in sales, I have to talk all day.......
Wiz:

I can't talk because I'm at work, I feel like people keep leaning over my shoulder, but your response is well noted, I have already learned that this forum is a HUGE help, and from reading past entries, I can see you are a major reason for that. Thank you, talk to you soon.

GWH
Today is the first day that I have been here and boy do I need some help from others that have gone through these nightmare withdrawals.  I am wondering if I will be able to handle this myself at home or am going to end up in the hospital. It has been exactly 29 hours since I took my last Ultram pill!!!  I am counting the seconds!  It all started with me being given that prescription five years ago for back pain when it was said to not be addictive. It has controlled my LIFE!! I have lived on it every single day for 5 years. I know that for the past 3 years I have been taking it because it makes me mentally feel good...I no longer needed it for my back...it was for my sanity!! Yesterday I decided that I could no longer live this way and live for every pill so I just stopped.....cold turkey!!!!!! Right at this particular moment I am able to sit here somewhat normal and type but in a few minutes I probably will break out in sweat, start shaking, and loose my mind.  This is absolutely a hell!!!!!!  Am I going to make it at home going through this??  Will this pass soon?  Have any of you withdrawn from that medication on your own?  Please help me!  Can you give me some ideas of what helped any of you to get through this.
Yes, I've stopped cold turkey many many times.  My first time was the worst time going off of morphine 30 years ago. Ultram is reportedly pretty unpleasant stuff to withdraw from according to some former postings here.

Personally, I could take the physical part of withdrawals standing on my head.  It is the mental anguish that we dread the most. It's like losing a loved one in a way. It takes time to regain/recover from this imprint on our minds. Five years is a long time to have been so dependent on anything. You are not going to get over it really quickly. This is the life we lead, my friend. I just want you to know that you will never be alone as long as you have friends who can love you no matter what.

I will love you no matter what happens. If you want self love and self respect, it's all up to you! Some make it and some don't in this life. It took me 50 years to figure this out.

J.B.
Hi donalee,
I and many others have withdrawn from narcotics cold turkey, but I have no experience with withdrawal from ultram. I was prescribed it once for back pain, but it did nothing for the pain, and I threw it out.

I do know there are some on this site who have had a problem with ultram addiction, and have been trying to taper down. I may be wrong about this, but I've heard that withdrawal from ultram is similar to narcotic withdrawal....sweating, chills, restlessness, bodyaches etc.  I just did a web search on ultram withdrawal to see if it is dangerous to stop it cold turkey, and as far as I can tell it, it is uncomfortable but not dangerous to stop cold turkey...but please, just to be sure, call your doc or pharmacist and ASK if is dangerous to go cold turkey.

You can expect to feel very uncomfortable...try taking a good multimineral tablet, and maybe adding the amino acid L-Tyrosine and 5 HTP. They both work to ease narcotic withdrawal and may help you with your withdrawal as well.

Drink tons of water, and get as much emotional support as you can.
Post all you want! When I was going through hydrocodone withdrawal I babbled away on this site...I must have posted a zillion times a day, just to get through it.  There is a lot of good support available to you. congratulations for wanting to get clean!

love,
WW
I'm new here and have been reading your messages.  My heart goes out to all of you fighting addictions.  I have been on vicoden (5/500), 5-6 a day since June for chronic neck pain.  My regular doctor will not give me anymore.  He sent me to a pain clinic and they put me on Celebrex and Zanaprex?  I guess my question is, why am I not going through any of the addiction symptoms?  The only thing I have now is the headaches back!!!  It really worked for me.  I guess I do have a symptom of depression, which can get really bad, especially everytime I had to call for a refill.  Just wondering if they'd say yes was terrible.  I don't even know if I'm on the right board, but you all seemed so nice.  I just wish they could make something for pain that doctors didn't mind prescribing and didn't make you feel so stupid!!  So, after 6 months of pain relief, now I'm back on the whole gammit of anti-inflamatory's and the side effects to go with them.  I just don't understand!!!  Thank's for listening.
It's Wednesday morning and I am climbing the walls.  It's been 47 hours......man this is hard!!!!!!!! I have sweat rolling off of me.  Now I'm sick to my stomach and living in the bathroom. I am here alone, my husband is out of town, which I think is best and that's why I chose this time.  I don't think anyone needs to be around me at this time.  It just makes no sense that a doctor can legally prescribe something like this!!  I have had many others tell me over the years that Ultram did nothing for them....then why in the heck me???  I sure liked them telling me that though cause then I got the extra pills they didn't take which meant I could take more and be higher!!  This is awful!!  I had to take a ton of sleeping pills last night and lay in the bathtub so I could sleep and now I'll probably become addicted to sleeping pills.  How long is this going to take?  I'm losing my mind!!  I need to drive to the bank this morning and I am so nervous cause I'm so dizzy but I've got to go.
hey people:
just wanted to say hello to everyone. i haven't been away, just
in one of my silent spells. my heart goes out to all who are
trying to detox. i detox every 3-4 weekes from 40mg. oxycontin
3 times a day. i've found that Thomas's detox recipee works well
for me. i've also noticed that since i was put an klonipin (klonopin) ( for
a sleep disorder) the detoxing seems to go much more smoothly.

Schlub: it's good to hear your still doing ok! I don't know if
you remember me posting to you when you first started detoxing
with bup. anyhow keep up the good work!!

everyone: keeep an angel on your shoulder
kip
Nice to see you here Kip!!! :)
Glad to see you are well.  I hope your pain is managable while going through your monthly detox!
It always floors me that you can do that; you impress the heck outta me!!!
BTW... your words from the other week always buzz in my ears, you're definately one of my angels sitting on my shoulder (buzzing in my ear!!! :)
Lv Jenny
Best of luck to you, and keep being strong, and you will be rewarded with a wonderful life of freedom without drugs.
I'm not really familiar with ultram, but like any other addiction, it's hell to get off i'm sure!!!
I admire your strength, and I hope the hard part is over soon for you!
Lv Jenny
Hello there, I am also trying to come off vicodens at home right now.  I have done it many times in the past, it is horrible, but I've done it!!
I have been now taking way more of them than I ever have before, somewhere around 15, 7.5 or 10mg pills a day.  It all started with dental pain and surgeries, then when way out of control...  
For me the withdrawals were nothing compared to the weeks and months afterwards of mental cravings and depression....so then I would end up going back to them.
I finally made up my mind last week, after losing another job, enough is enough, I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired, never mind these pills running my life, moment by moment.
I went to my drug counseler yesterday, thought maybe it was time for me to go inpatients, which wouldn't be easy considering I have four young children, and my husband owns his own buisness and of course, missing christmas....  My counsler thought that an intensive outpatient program would be the answer for me, it last six weeks, and I will go everyday for therapy, group, etc.  It sounds alot better than going away for a month.
The problem is.... I'm now tring to detox at home, today is day one, I have slept most of the day and wake up drenched in sweat and feel like i'm dieing.... It has never been this bad before :(
I finally broke down and took a pill.  In the past I have weined off them, then stopped, which I guess made the withdrawal much less.  What are you feelings about tapering for a few day, then going cold turkey??  or am I a failure doing this?
Also, to get in this program, I have to be clean for three days, I have an intake appt on friday...
What is the best way of tappering so withdrawls won't make me insane???  any suggestions I would a really appreciate.
Jennifer
Forgot to add my email address, would really appreciate some feedback...
***@****

Jennifer
Goodluck to all trying to quit, wean!!!!
You have been given excellent advice by some of the best.  Stay closeby and lean on everyone if you need to!  You can't do this alone, noone should have too!
We are here for you!
Even if i'm not able (at this time) to help myself much, i do admire your strength and will to regain control of your lives!!
Lv Jenny
Hello Jennifer and Kokie,
I am kind of new here also, but after reading your post I wanted to say hello.
I checked into rehab in Feb. of this year 2001. My heart goes out to you, I remember the horrible w/d's too well. I think that is what keeps me from going back to taking pills. It was hard, but I did it, and you can do it also. I know it is easier said then done. Just hang in there and keep coming back to this forum. Everyone here is so helpful, and encouraging.
I got a lot of help from everyone here, and I am sure you will too:)
Blessings,
Jackie
Well it's 1:00 in the morning and of course I can't sleep. My husband is just totally ignoring me cause he doesn't understand!! He just thinks it's all suppose to stop instantly and I'm suppose to be back to "normal".  What's normal???  It's now been 61 hours and I'm still counting.  No Ultram.  I can't eat...everything makes me sick that I taste.  I'm not going to give up....this is my Christmas present to me.  I am shaking terribly.....freezing one minute...burning up the next.  It's got to get better. My phone keeps ringing all day but I don't answer cause I don't want anyone to know that I am going through this.  No one but my husband has ever known that I have had this serious addiction.  I may not have anyone speaking to me by the time I get through this but I'm going to do it.....for me and my sanity!!  Just wish I could connect with someone else that has withdrawn from Ultram.  The saddest thing about all of this that I will share with you and only you is that 5 years ago when I knew nothing about addictions, my oldest son would come home for a few days here and there to stay with me and he would always be sick...shaking, totally out of control, couldn't eat, etc. and of course as his mom, I didn't know what was wrong...only that he was sick with something but it seemed to be that way every time he came to stay with me.  Well my heart breaks to say this but he died 4 years ago from Cocaine.  Had I only known....had I only known, I could have helped him and saved him.  Now that I have suffered this over the days, everything comes back to me to realize that he was coming to stay with me each time he was trying to withdraw and I never ever knew it. He never told me. Now he's gone. So besides all of these physical withdrawals I'm having, I'm putting myself through complete mental hell remembering what he was suffering through and never never never never knew it.  I was blind!! Thank you all for listening to me. I think I'll try to go back to bed now and try to sleep.
Hi and welcome to the both of you!
Jennifer...detoxing from hydro cold turkey is hell. I did it. Well, when I withdrew, I acutally did a wierd fast taper. At night time for the first 4 days of my withdrawal I took a teeny amount, like one pill the first night, then half, then another half the next night, then a quarter the fourth night, then nothing.

It was hell. No question about it.  Even with the nutritional supplements and acupuncture. But it is doable, and there is freedome on the other side! I'm very glad to hear you are going to be able to go to a detox..that a great route to go, as you will be helped on all levels.  Write me at ***@**** if you'd like to get a copy of Thomas's detox recipe, that a lot of us here have used to detox.

Donallee..I wish I had more info on ultram withdrawal for you, but I hear such determination in your voice! I am guessing that the worst will be over after 4 days, like with hydro, and that within a week you should be feeling better overall. Hang in there and remember to write down what you are feeling..then re read it when you get the mental cravings to help you stay clean.

keep posting...we are here to help, though it has been slower these days, I have not been able to post much due to being extremely busy at work.

lots of love,
WW
donnalee,

That your son would come home to you during w/d's is not only a strong testament of a mothers love, but also proof of where he felt safe and taken care of.

When I hurt the most, I go home to my mother - she can't cure my addiction but she is always there for me, as I am sure that you were for your son, or he would have found some where else to turn.  While I can not minimize the agony of w/d, not having a mother that I could count on would be a far worse burden to bear.  You should know that you were there for him - and now, it's time to take care of yourself.

littleguy
Oh my goodness girl, but you didn't know.  You can't beat yourself up over that, i'm sure you were a wonderful mom to your son, i can tell from your words.
You need to take care of you now, and know that your son is in heaven and watching his mom, he is your little angel on your shoulder now cheering you on!!!!
If you would have known, you would have done everything possible to help him, i can tell!
Take care of you!!!!
Hurry on your success so far, every minute away from the drugs is another minute of success!!!!!
Lv Jenny
I'm making it....I'm making it!!!  I can't believe it. I'm just so proud of myself right now. I'm going to make it! Man what hell it was .....and thank god for bathtubs and hot water cause I've lived in it for the past 4 days..even slept in it during the night.  It's been 96 hours and I'm still counting.  The worse has to be just has to be over! Thank you all so very very much for listening to me and writing me the nicest encouraging words.  That has meant a lot to me.  No one else would ever understand.
Hi I'm John: Good news for chronic pain sufferers who want to get off of narcotics yet be free of pain without addiction once off. By the way generally one good taper off is cutting down 5% daily--it takes longer so must be patient--anyway much less discomfort that way but I was only on low dose hydrocodon for six months. Anyway in any event take heart because now there is a new gole to reach for and that is the NEW MIRACLE PAIN KILLER ZICONOTIDE that is 1,000 times more potent than the strongest narcotic drug for pain but has no dependency side effect or other noteworthy side effects which is the good news. The bad news is that it is still in its second stage of being processed for allowance by the FDA in the U.S.A.; but in Dublin the Elan Corporation who deveoped it announced on June 28, 2000, that's well over a year ago, receipt of an approval letter from the FDA for Ziconotide so it will probably not be long now to be approved for use in the U.S.A. To keep posted on its progress log onto their web sight at www.elancorp.com and their email at ***@****  Happy Hunting. Best Wishes John
I had a back fusion surgery in June, 2001, and I now take 120 mg Ocycontin and 20 mg Oxy IR a day.  Is this very much compared to others of you?  Now that I am 5 months post-surgery, I am sure that the Dr. will want me to start coming off the Rxs. pretty soon.  I have been "Chewing Up" the Ocycontin some, too, to help it get into my system quicker.  Is chewing it going to make it harder to come off of it?  I really do not get a high anymore, due to being on it for 18 months total now.  I often take another pill when I feel stressed or worried about something.  Could I also be psychologically addicted as well as physically addicted?  

When I do run low on Rx before I get a refill, I really feel weird with a very HIGH blood pressure, blurry eye-sight, the jitters, emotional lows, and other feelings that are really tough to deal with.  Is this withdrawal?  Is it only going to get worse when the Dr. starts getting me off the Rxs?  What is it going to be like  I really need some help and advice!!  What can you tell me...please help with advice.

How long will it take to get myself off the Rxs?  Can I do it at home and not have to enter a hosptial or an out-patient clinic?  My job is such that if they find out I could lose it and be ruined!

Please help with some advice....thanks.
Wow, that is some very good information about the non narcotic pain killer that actually helps with pain! I went to the web site, and will eagerly await any and all news about it. Do you know anyone who has taken it? I'd love to hear more about it..please...post anything you can.  I have chronic pain, but abused hydrocodone, and have been clean from it for a few months. I take tons of ibuprofen, which helps, but not completely.
Any more info about this med?
write me at ***@**** if you have any more info about it.

BLT, I'm sorry to hear you had to have fusion surgery. I hear that is very hard to go through. How is your recovery going? Is your pain under decent control?
As for the amount of oxy you are on, it sounds on the high side, but I'm not sure what the folks on here who are on oxy take. What worries me is that you are chewing them, and taking them when you feel emotionally stressed. To answer your question bluntly, it sounds as if you are addicted psychologically as well as physically.  Let your doctor know, when your pain is low enough, and you and your doc can work out a taper plan. That is by far the most physically comfortable way to do it.  There is a lot of support available, you are not alone. People do withdraw from these meds without hospitalization. It isn't easy, but it is doable.

love,
WW
Dark angel,

Here is a reciepe
http://pub37.ezboard.com/fthenewaddictionmedicineforumfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

for assistance in detoxing and another source/site that might also help you. Keep posting, you are not alone. Good luck.

Frank Lee

I go through detox every month. I get a 30 day script for
loratab and soma. 4 or 5 days each month I run completely
out and I get really sick also. After 3 days I start eating
and having normal BM. If I detox using smaller doses, my stomach is queezy the first 2 days but after that every thing is normal.

God Bless you all 1 day at a time.

http://www.sirinet.net/~garyc/pain.htm
I, as a 6 year perscription pill abuser would like to report an unexpected success in the area of self-treatment.  I have found success in recovery with the use of clonidine.  I have found that after a relapse one can actually forgoe 95% of the pain of withdrawl (withdrawal) by careful use of clonidine.  I usually will take two 0.1mg tablets before bed, leaving two additional tablets by the bedside.  When withdrawl (withdrawal) is in full effect a patient/abuser can rarely expect more than 4-5 hours of uninterupted sleep.  When I wake, I quickly take the two other  clonidine tablets and wait to fall back to sleep.  In addition my doctor has me using the Anti-depressent/Sleep medication Trazadone.  Using this method one can expect to get 6-8 hours of sleep or more.  Also, by maintaining clonidine in the blood supply one tablet every 6 hours while awake will have the effects of keeping muscle spasms to almost nothing.  I have found that by keeping the physical symptoms to a minimum, the focus becomes the inherent depression one feels during withdrawl (withdrawal).  I keep my mood up by watching fun entertaining movies and eating "comfort foods".  NOTE TO EVERYONE: If an patient/abuser is taking powerful doses of dangerous narcotics in large quantities this method does not help.  This method is useful to pain-management patients and pill abusers that use between 1 darvocet (very weak) per day to 2 percocet (very strong) four times a day for long periods of time.  This method has the best effect for patients/abusers using hydrocodone 5/500mg three times per day.  

Many doctors I have spoken with feel that an abuser should feel the pain of withdrawl (withdrawal) so they are relunctent to make the same mistake twice.  I understand the logic in this, but I can't help but feel this information would benefit doctors that have patients that become addicted through no fault of there own.  

***@****
how bout the recipe that is circulating around sounds good to me
i started taking percosets 2 years ago due to tennis elbow i started with 3 a day then it got out of control it went from 3 to 5 to 10 up to 40 a day im on my 4 day at homeim down to 4 a day just to ease the pain i know im going to beat this but i cant sleep its been 3 nights that i cant sleep my heart races and wakes me right up i tried tylonl pm i took 7 the first night and still did not sleep my question is am i doing this the right way by taking 4 pills a day to ease the pain and what can i do to sleep should i use another drug
You guys gave me so much hope today. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I am on the right track. Dr.,vitamins,family support,all kinds of med. ideas. Doctor will prescribe anything I want!!!! Don't want to continue taking
vicodin for chronic pain in back and legs.Detoxed from Heroin last February and feel pretty good except for this. Don't have to stop, want to. I want to take steps to elimate this "monkey"
so I can see if it is even better than it has been. Unfortunately, after being junked out for so long on the other, it is hard to determine if I have a problem with the pills. I go by my gu, and I am sure it is not O.K. Plus, I take them whenever I feel like it. It does not have to hurt to take them. Also, I don't get high. Dependency? I think so. Help!!!!
Hi you fun people, Just to let you know today is day 1 from vicodin. 2-30 a day. Just returned home from Docs and he was suppoetive and gave me all kinds if stuff to eliminate discomfort. The cost of vitamins and presriptions are high, but look at the pay off in the long run. I am so willing. My mom has to pay and complains but can't she see the longer I stay on Vicodin my liver won't last. Have liver disease. He gave me methadone, valium, librium, trazadone and I had already bought all the vitamins from "recipe" I feel like I have made all new friends on this forum. Thanks and don;t forget to write. I feel better just knowing I;, doing something about it. This recipe is a god-send. Has Thomas considered going into business. I have revenue!!!Thomas, e-mail me:; ***@**** Hope to hear from you. Love Karen
Hi everyone. I am on day 9 of my detox from hydrocodone, about 15 10/650's a day. I was also taking 5 to 6 10mg ambiens per day. It got to the point where I was taking ambien during the day to calm me down. I detoxed from an outpatient program using Buprenorphine, clonidine, and trazedone for sleep. I am still very tired and achy although I can deal with it. Its the chills and inner coldness that is killing me. Also, only 2 to3 hours of sleep a night. I expected that because of the ambien. Does anyone know how long these chills will last. I thought they would be gone by the ninth day. I have been taking the hydrocodone for about 4 years off and on. I do suggest buprenorphine for detoxing if you can.
How did the Ultram withdrawal go?  I am in the dark part of hell with Ultram right now and am unsure how to proceed.  AA/NA helped
I went to a decent Pysc Doc who said reduce by 15% per week.  No meds to help me...nothing.  I feel like I am on the way out but I do not want to go.  I too have a mom who I visit sometimes when I am sick.  She could not help me if she tried.  All the doc's and meds in the world she could pay for would not make me quit...It is only my will to live that comes from my soul causing me live to stop this sorry drug nad choose life
Sunny
wow, feel like I missed the train. The last post on this site was back in Jan., 2002. Did everyone die or just discontinue this site? Man, am on fourth day of self-detox from hydros, oxys, etc. Has been constant back and forth trying to quit, making it for a few days to a week or so and feeling so down emotionally and drained physically, that I would convince myself, now that I have quit for a week, I am no longer addicted; therefore, it is safe to just buy a few to help with the down moodiness I am feeling. Of course, in a week or so am right back on the same destructive journey again.
I am on day 2 coming 6-10 10/325 Norcos per day. I have read many horror stories on certain forums. Raptor's adivce is excellent. I am using Clonidine and if things get real bad my dr gave me some Xanax. I feel ok. I am very sad, anxious at times and sleeping about 6 hours. I just know that the first 72 hours is the worst and in a week I may feel pretty close to normal. Then I have my life back,,,my head clear.

Let me add, go tell your doctor the whole truth. Me, I was the biggest liar to 6 really great MDs. I regret that thoughly. They will help. We are self-medicators...I am doing what he said and I am winning. Don't read the horror stories stay positive. Its not really as bad as the flu for me.
Keep it up. I am 2 days in and I so want to go grab something to make me feel a little happy. I know at the end of this I get my natural high back. Dude, join NA or PA, they are real fun groups...I've been going for a week or so.
Please help me!!! The first step is admitting that you have a problem. That you are powerless over drugs and need help. Well... that's me. I started taking hydroccodone for severe stomach pain. I've had 3 c-sections, a gastric bypass that allowed me to lose 150 lbs, and just recently a surgery to rmove excess skin from my stomach. NOT a tummy tuck but close. Insurance wouldnt pay for the whole thing. Im from Las Vegas and lortab are a dime a dozen. My mother in law was giving them to me just for fun sometimes. She's also an addict. I used to be addicted to meth and that detox was nothing like what I've experienced when I run out of pills. I honestly feel like I cant function without them. I'm so jealous of everyone who is off of them and I feel so hopeless and helpless. I started just taking 1-3 a day of the 10mg... but recently I've taken up to 20 a day!! This is sick right? I still have pain but the line between pain and taking them for pleasure is so blurred I dont know where I am anymore. I've tried going to emergency rooms and urgent cares just to see if they will prescribe me more because I litterally took a month's prescription in a week! What is wrong with me????? Quitting meth was so kuch easier than this. Does that sound crazy??? OMG i feel like im losing my mind. Yesterday was my first day without any. Of course I went to the urgent care, but now that I live in Texas... dr's here are very scetchy about prescribing it. They gave me 10 pills. I knew there would be detox symptoms but i neverthought I would feel like this!!!!! Please help me God!!!! I took 10mg just to take the edge off and get to sleep but now it's 2am here in texas and I am tripping out!!! I dont want to take them. I took another 10mg a few mins ago just to get the shakes to go away. I have 6 pills left 5mg each. How can I use these best to get off this damn roller coaster??? I feel so helpless. Did I already say that?  My parents both battled drug addiction (meth, heroin, and more) and won. I grew up going to NA meetings and still  became an addict!!! I know all the steps, I know it works. Thats how I got myself off meth. I started getting off for my kids, then did it for myself. I have a wonderful husband who is here helpoing me thank god but has to go back to work very soon and i will be alone with the kids. Im so scared. Today I could not even pickk up my baby who is 1 years old. Maybe I need to go to an NA meeting. Ihavent been there in so long, but I know the steps work. Sorry if Im going on and on but i neeeed help please!!!! I read almost all of your posts and I feel there will be light at the end of the tunnel. If you could email me privately that would be great. I think I need a sponsor. I think I need a meeting. Both my parents are dead now (mom killed on her motorcycle and dad dies from hep C) and I know they would tell me the same thing. 30 meetings in 30 days. O God please help me!!!!!  
I just started reading this today, trying to find hope. I'm addicted to hydro 10mg not sure how much a day. But ill go through 60 less then a week. For about 3yrs quitting twice for a month total, evertime it was so bad I had to stay home from work. Start on a Sunday and back to work the next Monday .  So I now the pain that is coming.  I was never prescribed for pain, just really enjoyed the high. I'm tired of lying sneaking around. Tired of the false emotions and happiness. I started cutting down doing halves about 6 a day. Already starting to feel crappy, throwing up not eating or sleeping and the sweats are insane this time.  But I know its time i have a wife and 2 girls to support. I just really needed to get this out. Can't talk to my family or go to treatment again. Thanks for listening ill keep u all updated.
Welcome!!!! you are taking a great first step by tapering down and wanting to get your life back.You can do this!!!!!Yes the first few days will be pretty unpleasant but before you know it you will feel better and better each day. Check out the health pages for some suggestions on vits ect to help you through this time,Especailly the Thomas recipe. You may want to start your own posting thread you may get more responses since this is at the bottom of an old one. Keep posting and you will get lots of support here. Best wishes Heather
Thank you I will
Keep in mind that in some way you are also doing this for your son. He is with you in spirit and I believe that. Your son didn't tell you for the same reasons you not telling anyone, so it's good you are here to open up to the people on this forum.

God Bless,

Dove
I am an addict I wanna get clean??? I am addicted to loratab 10 and have been for 2 1/2 years I hide my life behind this high!!! I don't take them when I wake up or anything like that I function everyday I go to work but as soon as I get out of work I take 5 at a time and possibly have to take 1 more before bed!!! I have quite twice it was a little difficult I wrote a list to remind me why I want to stop I clearly know why I want to stop but I couldent now I am really ready I think??? I feel like I can't live without the high and energy I get!!! Do you get ur energy back like you did before u started taking them??? I want to stop again but I am so scared??
I'm going through extreme withdrawals from hydrocodone what can I do I can't stop the diarrhea and vomiting then at times I feel like I'm choking to death HELP?
Hi - I'm here, I'm 58 days off hydros myself.  I'll send you private message.