Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
trying to kick methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

trying to kick methadone

Ive been taking methadone for about  2 1/2 years and thinking bout quiting. whats the easiest way?? steping slowly down maybe 1 mlg at a time or cold turkey. I dont take much but Ive learned that I cant get happy any more every little thing keeps getting under my skin. I dont know what to do to get better . I want to be happy agian how long will it take to get back to happily ever after??
Hello and welcome to MH. Yes you can and will be happy again. There is hope and there is a road called recovery. You took the first step by coming here and wanting to re-claim your life.
Methadone is a slow taper. How many mgs are you on?
It is a drop of a couple mgs every few weeks. Your body needs to adjust to each drop.
Are you going to counseling?  One on one is good and also a support group.
We are here to encourage you.
Stick around
Debbie
HI WE have lots of members who have kicked methadone im one of them I spent 6 1/2yrs on the stuff your best bet to come off it is to slow taper it took me 8 1/2 mo to do it but it was well worth it it takes discipline and perseverance some times you just want to give up....you got to be in it for the long haul the key is to go fast enough to make progress but slow enough not to have to bad of withdrawals wile tapering when your ready to start let me know there are some supplements that can help out along the way I have helped many people off this drug and will be happy to help you also so just shoot me a start date and you to will be free of the liquid handcuffs
good luck and God bless........Gnarly  
what are the supplements, my son is 24 and is down to 30mg now , he is dropping 10mg per wek, and says he just wants off, he is suffering from bone ache, sweats, chills, mood swings, anxiety and insomnia...please help, the family is in termoil not knowing what to do...***@****
hi I just posted them in the post above first off he is coming off way way to fast thats why he feels like he does where not aloud to give taper plans or dosing instructions but I can tell you a couple of mg a week is the norm im not aloud to give you numbers slow is good the slower the better but 10mg off of 30 is 1/3 you will feel like you got hit by a truck regadless of what you take this is a race one by the tortus not the hare
good luck and God bless.......Gnarly