Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tussinex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

tussinex

does tussinex cough syrup have penicillin in it?
Tussionex cough syrup (hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine): This cough syrup combines an anti-histamine (chlorpheniramine) with a codeine-like cough suppressant called hydrocodone. Tussionex stops coughing well, but it carries a risk of potential side effects, including drowsiness, constipation, lightheadedness, and vomiting. The hydrocodone component is also an addictive medication and should be used with caution.

No, there is no type of antibiotic in it. It has narcotic in it (hydrocodone) and the antihistamine.

You can google it for more info...but the info above is what I've read about it as well.
Also, the FDA issued a warning on this drug so be careful its very easy to overdose on it. Especially for children.
Good to know mimi...and I did just read on it... cause I got curious each tsp has 10mg of hydrocdone in it..so it is rx'd for 1tsp every 12 hrs...maybe that's why the overdose could be so common? i don't know...but that seems like a strong amt per tsp!
Tussinex also taste like ssssst, but if you take it as directed, it does work very well.  It is very thick and yellw.  YUCK!!!
Tussionox does not have penicillin in it. It is a suppressant cough med and is hard to get because it has hydrocodone in it. People the drug addicts abuse it, many used to shoot it up. But for the ones that need it, it is a safe reliable cough med and i recommend it. Before you ask for it be sure you are coughing alot with chest congestion.
Diane