update on christian
as some of you may know...my son christian is a meth addict...and has been battling this for over 10 years.  a month or so ago, i posted out of frustration about his "ONE MORE TIME" relapse.  alot has happened since then...and most of it was not good...and he seemed to be sinking deeper and deeper into depression...all the while continuing to self medicate.

i kept the lines of communication open to him and decided to only talk to him through text messaging.  every few days, i would just send a text saying that i loved him and that there was hope...there was help.

the update is that christian is now attending NA meetings...has done 12 meetings in 12 days.  he is starting to actually like them and the group that he found has alot of younger ppl around his age.  he has even stopped smoking pot...something that he has never done on his own, or even thought about doing before.

i took christian to UAB to see his infectious disease doctor this past thursday.  what usually is a hour appt, turned into 5 hours.  his doctor saw his depression and desperation so he was able to see his psychiatrist there too.  he was started on an antidepressant so i'm hoping that good things are to come.

i know that this has absolutely nothing to do with addiction...but i feel the "need" to talk about this.  most of you know that christian was diagnosed with hiv last year.  the social stigma attached to this is beyond belief only adding to his depression.  he has been shunned by even his closest friends...scared that he might "breathe" on them... and give them hiv.

i alone cant educate the world...but i can take it one step at a time.  please educate yourself about the transmission of hiv.  you never know when and if you might meet someone who is hiv +...and hopefully you will be able to reach out to them and let them know that you are NOT afraid.  if each and every one of you will do this...i will feel that i have helped "MY SON".

love to all..........

kim
So sorry to hear about your son's relapse but it also sounds like some great things are happening now. I hope for all of you that this time will be "The Time".
I thought the fear of people with HIV was gone. Thought people had been educated about it. Guess the younger generation (and older) needs to be continuosly re-educated. I hope the group he's in with now will be smarter and more compassionate.
Hey , I'm so glad he is headed in the right direction. This is one of those posts its hard to respond to.  It just makes you sit back and think.  (which is a good thing).
I feel so awful for your son and the way his uneducated friends are acting.  I knew people responded this way years ago , but I really thought most knew better now.  My thoughts and prayers are with you both.  Hugs    Mary
there is no doubt you have helped christian so much.  it is very important that he is starting to enjoy his N/A group because he needs a support group of some kind. staying clean is work sometimes, but it sounds like he is starting to take the steps necessary to do this. you know i wish you and your family the best and i'm always amazed at the effort you put in with your children and even though there may be times they disappoint you, you are always there to help them and give them all your love.  
Oh hun, i am so sorry he is being treated like that by his friends...they obviously need some education and facts!!! the stigma is huge, but based on a bunch of BS!! as it can also be with addiction, there is no room for stigmas when he is battling both of these diseases, his friends should be there for him regardless...they simply arent "real" friends. Hopefully now that he is attending NA and liking it, he will meet some "real" friends who dont let stigmas bias their opinions because they themselves are educated, and have to deal with the stigma of addiction themselves, so they will "get it" if you know what i mean. Hearing this type of  ignorance really of pisses me off!.  
but he is going down a great path now, i see nothing but positive things for him for the future...once the depression is under control, things will get even better Kim, they will.
your a great mum hun!!!
go kick his friends a**es!!
~~~HUGE HUGS!~~
wait
very happy to see christianson had come around. like cocaine, meth is a very mentally addicting drug. with the help of NA, and the will to quit, he is making the first effort in taking back control im sorry that after sooo many years of hiv being around people are still ignorant about it being transmitted thru silly things .. but he will make new friends at NA and when  you are clean, friends , jobs, etc will follow. you are an awesome mom, and many hugs to you for staying on him with the text and such. sounds like he is gonna do ggggggreat. many prayers and much love and keep sharing....
Just keep reaching out to him and giving him your love.  And people can be cruel when they don't understand an illness.  If you tell then they are more dangerious to him than him to them mybe they will come around.  He is immunosuppressed, and anything they have like colds and flu he can catch just by talking to them in person.  However, they can't catch HIV by the air, it has to be from blood or blodd products or using dirty needles, I don't know if he shoots it or what.  I will be praying that understanding will come for the friends that don't use.  You might get some literature and pass it to them, the more they understand the illness the more they will come around.  God Bless  I will be praying for you.
swtbreezie
I'm so  glad he seems to be turning his life around again!  Kim...you are amazing...you never give up on him but you don't baby him either...You are a role model for me as far as parenting a teenage male who is on a selfdestructive path....You will probably be hearing from me soon because I have taken your advice so far and it seems to be the right thing for him.

It really irritates the hell out of me that people are still so ignorant about HIV....if anything they should bend over backwards to be supportive of him as know one would wish this on their worst enemy!

Hang tough as always!  Your boys are very lucky to have you!
From the heart,
Marcie

lizzie, i am so glad things are turning around for you.  i know the pain of a child on crystal meth.  it is truly heartbreaking.  they are powerless to help themselves.  i just wanted to encourage you.  my daughter has been clean for 2.5 years with out one relapse.  i di fear it would happen last month when there was a shooting in her college class (she is now in nursing school).  the girl killed 2 friends of my daughter then shot herself.  my daughter watched it all.  she became withdrawn and didnt talk to me much.  thankfully she didnt use.  she came to me this weekend and we had very long talks.  she is on the mend.  so, never give up hope.
cathy