Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
update.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

update.

I think I'm 103 days now and was just noticing (euch, who am I kidding, "just noticing", all I do is think
about myself.) that although my long term memory is coming back, and I'm finding my "words" much
more easily, my short term memory s*cks.  I was reading some of my old posts and I don't remember
writing a lot of them. It's not just that, I can't remember this morning, or yesterday etc. certain things,
ya know?

I've noticed a huge improvement in general "presence of body and mind" around the 90 day mark.
Also the sleeping, uber improved. It's not that I sleep more, it's that I sleep more comfortably.
Temper a little more in check too, unless I'm backed into a corner and overwhelmed.  If so,
look out cuz the spidey webs are gonna start to fly!......it's ugly.  

I have noticed that I'm slightly ummmmmm......less passionate.  Not depressed, not precisely lazy
just sort of "aware" (hmmm, just another word for noticing). gaaaaaawwwwwd!

Oh here's one....no more sweating!!!  That finally stopped unless I'm working hard. Yayyy! I think
I still smell though.  (I'm always getting the stink eye from my family members) hahaha

Anyway, just wanted to say, it REALLY REALLY turns a corner around 90days!

I read all your posts every day MH angels, I've grown to really care about a lot of you who have
been here since my start and everyday that number grows with each new member that finds their way
here. Newbies and Old Pros, you are all in my prayers daily. Love you all!

oh ya, so my question,..........about the short term memory,......can anyone relate, and gimme
the 411 on  when this may change up? thanks guys.  xoxo
I would tell you but I forget.

Congrats on 103 days.  That's fantastic.
What was your question?
Omg you guys are too f*ckin funny............I got all prepared for some advice. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I forgot to remember what I was going to tell you! :)
I have no memory and when i...OMG I lost my thought WTF
When i think and I talk my talk is broken and I cant complete sentences some times
mostly happens after a pannic attack lasts days
I had 5 pannic attacks yesterday
but even when I am in a good place i have trouple remembering and articulating things...
I hope its not a forever thing
Did I answer this post?
Oh never mind.
Heather- The same thing happens to me with panic attacks and it has been happening all throughout my benzo taper.  I have had some weird speech issues and can't put sentences together either.  I have stuttered for the first time ever.  Not good when you work with the public and have to talk all day.  I hope it gets better.

Spider- congrats on the 103 days!!  I'm still having memory issues; but more from when I was using then now.  People will say they told me things and it's all a blur.  Thankfully, my brain seems to be functioning better now.  Or is it...
I am not help...but congrats on the 103 days!!! I have short term and long term memory issues .I had to laugh out loud at Heathers comment about putting a sentence together . My husband picked my blood pressure meds up at the pharmacy and one that I normally get 3 months worth was only a two week supply and I was flabbergasted . I heard myself say.."have a nice day" lol. My husband said...what ??? I was so embarrassed at the disconnect of my brain to my mouth and all I could say was.."thats all I have to say"lol have a nice day . I was really perplexed about the mix up...Old timers or Opiate Timers lol?
I think my memory was never as good as I thought it was, then I blamed my lapses of memory on drugs. My memory has improved though, I think it still is, but I'm not sure how many days it's been, 17 months about. I found chess, doing math, exercises my mind helps, just like any organ. Use it or lose it. I couldn't remember a phone number to save my life at 6 months, now I can walk over to my truck and write it down. So, proof is in the puddin they say. It will get better, 103 days is great, but there is a lot more growth coming.
So Happy for you and to hear how much better your doing!!!!!!!!
I have terrible short term memory.   I wzs known for my exceptional memory.  My kids take fll advantage.  I saw an ad on tv for a site called luminosity.  It's supposed to improve your memory and help your brain.  I haven't tried it yet but I plan to.  As long as I don't forget.
103 DAYS CLEAN!!!!  You sound better every single time you update us!
The short term memory bugged the snot outta me, too.  But it sounds like you are retrieving "words" easier now....so you're definitely mending/healing/making huge strides.  You're gonna be dancin the boogie at 6 months girl...!!!  The short term memory will return....it takes different amounts of time for each of us depending on our history, age, what we do to help our recovery, etc.  It seems to me like I am just recently retreiving words I haven't said for a decade or more..haha!
I sound really funny to myself sometimes....these words are popping into my head that were in "opiateville vocabulary land" for so long I had no idea they were even "in there".  LOL
For instance....I NEVER used the word plethora....or albeit.....or heretofore before now?  WHAT????  Where did THOSE words come FROM????
Were those in "my head"...ahahaha!!!

Sorry...rabbit trailed....my point is that for me, actually, I think the short term memory improved BEFORE the return of "words"....so hey....who knows, right?

Here's a paragraph from the PAWS Part I article in our Health Pages:

Memory Problems

Short-term memory problems are very common in the recovering person. You may hear something and understand it, but within 20 minutes you forget it. Someone will give an instruction and you know exactly what to do. But you may walk away, and that memory becomes clouded or may disappear completely"".

And just in case you wanna read where you were at 28 days ago....I posted this "book" on your 75 day thread and referenced some about memory loss/short term memory there, too.  Here ya go girl:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/day-75-and-still-alive/show/2038877#post_9642643

You're doing AMAZIN!!!  Thanks for the update....heal on my wayward son!

Well let me see..Hum!! 440days later I thought it was 2 in the afternoon, not 2 in the morning..Oh I am just kidding..
Great Job and just keep moving forward it all gets better and better..lol

Bless our Spider!!!
Just wanted to congratulate you on how far you've come!
Many congrats on your, uh, something days clean.
And yeah, memory does get better, in general. I think.
The important thing is that you have taken the crap out of your system and are giving it a chance to heal. You'll be amazed at what is in store for you.
Now on to 120 - and beyond!

K