Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
vicodin/xanax

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

vicodin/xanax

I am a 45 year old woman i have been taking 2-3 750mg tablets of Vicodin every day for about 3 years. Vicodin makes me feel alert and hyper for a while and i liked the feeling. It started for back pain and now i use it for the extra energy it gives me. I never take it at work. I usually don't take the vicodin until about 4 or 5 pm. I take 2 tablets at that time and then maybe later will take another. Then i take a 1mg Xanax to help me sleep at night. I would usually start the withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) around 2 or 3pm but force myself to wait until after work to take the vicodin. I quit the vicodin cold turkey 4 days ago. I am fine in the morning but my usual time of 2 or 3 i start to get withdrawal symptoms of bad anxiety and a burning in my stomach and feel very nervous and it just gets worse as the night goes on. Any ideas of how long this will continue? Then i hear you need to taper slowly off the xanax. Any advice for me to quit both? I've read worse cases and they have done it, but am really hoping for some advice b/c i want to quit all of it and be me again! Thanks!
Hi there!    I'm sorry your post was "lost"...

My advice would be to completely detox from the Vicodin and when you're feeling fairly good, focus on the Xanax.

Xanax must be tapered down in small amounts over a long period of time. I can't be any more specific than that due to forum guidelines but your doctor could assist you.

Some use Xanax during the withdrawal process and ensuing anxiety. Also, pushing fluids in will help your detox from Vicodin. How are you today? What are your worst symptoms now?

Keep posting...
It is 7:45am Saturday and as usual in the morning i feel fine. But come around 2 or 3ish is when i start with the anxiety and agitation. I can control it ok, as no one knows what i am doing, but inside i am very restless. I have no nausea. I have had a bit of diarrhea yesterday and this morning. And that wasn't too bad in all honesty. My worst symptoms are the anxiety in afternoon until the xanax kicks in at bed time. I lowered my xanax down a bit too last night. I take 1mg pills and took off less than half. i went right to sleep after it kicked in but woke up often but was able to go back to sleep until about 6 am, then just got up. i am doing ok right now. but dread this afternoon! Thank you so much for being there for me. I appreciate your advice!
i started out with my addiction where i wouldn't take the pills until later on in the day as well, so i feel you on that. it's not too common but it does happen.

the anxiety is going to come and go and....come, haha. but it gets better before it gets worse in some cases. everyone is different, but fighting the same battle.
twinni-  I wouldn't taper that Xanax at all right now,okay?  You'll feel better if you "let it be" until the opiate detox is over.  :)
thanks guys! i appreciate the advice. I think i was trying to rush the xanax thing too just b/c i want this all to be over fast! But i will be smart and take care of one thing at a time. With my length of time and amount i was taking any guesses on how long this w/d will last? just ball park would be fine. i am determined!
I'd say about a week and then another week to feel MUCH better. There's a long process involved where our brains need to rebuild and start performing at an optimal level.

Try to be patient and keep looking ahead. Remember: this is a positive experience and what you're doing is good for you!  I understand the urge to rush! That's how we are...but you can't be in a hurry with this. You'll be fine if you go slow and wait on the Xanax....
You're the best. Thanks for the encouragement. I will take it one step at a time. Neat thing today was that even though i didn't sleep very well last night, woke up often, i still feel better this morning than when i slept "good" and being on the vicodin. so that is such a positive encouragement for me too. Thank you Thank you
You're welcome. You'll notice many things that will be different in a good way so pay close attention to the changes. It's kind of fun to "watch" yourself improve!

Keep in touch here-
My w/d kicked in right on time. but i have to say i think they are just a tad less tonight than last few nights. Still bad and annoying, but better i think. Especially if i really don't do much but read or watch tv by myself. I do better when i don't have to interact with people. but hard to do that being a wife and mother. lol! but i am doing it! thanks vicki595 for your help. you've helped me more than you will probably ever know!
I have to tell you my w/d symptoms were soooooo much better yesterday. Still there, but so impressively better! I am so excited! I am actually going to do this!!!
see, we told you! good for you, and so proud of you!!!!!
keep posting here!!
You ARE doing this!!     It gets better every day!!
Between me and the two of you, the addict and vicki595 i am going to get through this. I am back at work today after the weekend, w/d not kicked in yet, not usually for about and hour or so, but if yesterday was so much better, i can only hope today is even better! You two have really had the faith in me and don't even know me. That is so amazing to me, thank you. I hope you two are doing well too, i have no idea your stories. If you feel like sharing i would like to support you two as well. but i will support you too even if you don't want to share. I just am so thankful for people in the world as sweet and giving as you!
Hi There...
Just wanted to add my support...You are doing great!  I've been opiate free for 49 days and am doing a slow taper off benzos as well.  I wanted to share that I was very eager to be drug free when i c/t off the opiates and I went too fast with the benzos...My doc and VIcki595 encouraged me to be more patient and I finally listened.  Now it's nearly 2 months later and I'm at half the dosage I was a month ago...Still feels slow to me but I feel better and better every day.  Patience is a virtue(:

Be gentle with yourself and be proud of yourself...You are doing awesome...
Lu
Thanks!  I'm doing very well.  I tapered off the pills in Nov.2009, had a one minute relapse, (LOL), and I've been clean since April 2010.  It gets much easier which is not to say I don't have "my moments"...But, mostly it's just great every day!   I attribute a lot of this to the recovery care I've received, my support at home, and my friends here at MH.   It all helps!!

You'll get there! Just keep your eyes on the prize!
you're doing such a good job and we are all so proud of you. keeping the faith that you're going to get through this is WHAT will get you through this.
Hi everybody. Thanks for all the support. i am free of my vicodin for 1 week today. i am still nervous and anxious feeling in afternoon and evenings. But it has been the same level for about 2-3 days now. I am hoping soon it will get less and soon just die off all together. But i will be patient as all of you advise! If you only knew how impatient my personality is by nature! lol! But i feel so much better already! I feel so much better even with the withdrawals i am still going through! I have so much energy and feel so alert. But i do go through a bit of fuzz in the head when i hit my withdrawals. It's weird. I am super alert and feel great, then w/d hit and i have a hard time talking some times(hard time saying what i am thinking or want to say. I finally get it out, but it's like i get tongue tied or say things backwards or just in a weird awkward way). My head feels fuzzy. I get through it. It's like i adjust and just slow down and nobody at work seems to notice. I just don't draw attention to it. or i kinda tease about myself like i am having a moment.  Has anyone felt that before? or gone through this? thanks
and vicki595 thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate your story and i am proud of you too. And i like hearing from you! You've gone through it and i look forward to being where you are in time!
Lu, thanks for your support. It's nice to know i am not the only one in this place. Please keep posting. You are an inspiration to me as i will be in your shoes very soon! thanks, twinni
i have totally been there, and i think we all have!
congrats to you again - so proud of you!
Thanks theaddict. i appreciate the continued support!!!!!
i'm always here!!!
It is so weird, i am so perfectly fine during morning and early afternoon, but at around 3:30pm i start that w/d, not as bad, but steadily gets worse as night progresses. It's not as bad a last week, but that mind fog and hard time talking is really getting on my nerves. How long does that part take to go away? I can't even describe it properly. But it is effecting my conversation and thinking. I feel like people are noticing my "weirdness" b/c of the way i talk and "try" to express myself. I repeat my self and say thing so differently than i remember talking pre vicodin. I am so frustrated with this part! I don't know how to get through this part! But i am getting at my wits end with it!!
Has anyone experienced the "thinking fog" i get during withdrawals that i describe in and earlier comment? just curious. thanks
HI Twinni...
Congratulations on your clean time!  I am at 54 days off opiates and the mental fog comes and goes...Pretty sure it's because of my benzo taper and sleep deprivation...Are you still taking the xanax?  

It takes the brain awhile to heal from the opiates...You are not producing seratonin, epinephrine or nor-epinephren because the pills were doing it for you and your brain needs to recover...Whey protein shakes help to rebuild the body/brain.  You can buy it at walmart or if you can afford it there is a great one at the health food store called Proteins Plus.  It has all the amino acids in it that are key.  I mix it with almond milk, frozen berries, yoghurt and a banana and drink two a day...I have really noticed a difference in my brain function since I made this a habit(:

I have a high pressure, creative thinking job and am working long hours on no sleep...I am 'punchy' for sure but I just go with it (don't really have a  choice) I was self conscious at first, but really?  I'm doing the best I can...So are you.  Recovery takes time...And you need to remember that you are way closer to your authentic self than you were on the Vicoden.  Be proud of yourself and be patient....I know, it's a tough one but patience is a virtue...It's what I keep reminding myself...
Hang in there you are doing awesome...
Lu
Hi Twinni,

I read your thread and thought I would add my 2 cents.  Lulu did a great job covering the nutritional aspect of healing your mind and body.  This is so important, and as has been said already, it just takes time to get back to 100%.  

Physical maintenance is also critical for our cells and our bodies. Exercising, eating, getting enough sleep and sunlight all contribute to getting our minds and bodies back into homeostasis.  Based on your most recent post you sound like you're still out of balance,which is normal since you're body is still ridding itself of toxins.   Yoga and meditation and deep breathing exercises sound like simple solutions, but they can have a profound effect on relaxing both your mind and body.  

The longer you progess through your detox process, the closer you will be to being in balance; emotionally, physically and mentally.  

I know what it's like to get tongue tied sometimes - it's usually when I'm anxious because I have to talk in front of a group of people.  I've learned to speak very slowly and breathe evenly.  If you're anxious, it's hard to breathe normally, and the words don't come as easily.  It's frustrating, but all of this will come back to you once you have more time to heal.  

Congratulations on your clean time!

Best wishes to you,

Sandy :)
Oh, you guys, you always have the best advice. thank you so much. I am definitely going to try the protein "shakes". I know that about protein and am a little disappointed in myself for not thinking about it. lol. i guess mostly associate it to repairing muscle after excercise, but u are right, it repairs lots more.
I am still taking the xanax. Up until last night i have been taking a 1mg tablet to go to sleep with. that has always been the only time i have taken it and no more than that except the first night i stopped the opiates. Then i took 1 1/2 tabs because i was so full of anxiety and nerves i thought i was going to crawl out of my skin. Last night i was doing really well so i broke a bit off my pill and took the bigger portion and slept and did well last night on the lesser portion. I will do this for awhile then keep tapering.

I used to exercise a lot, then hurt my back but i really need and want to get back to exercising. I know it will help me. I am a firm believer in that!
Thanks for reminding me of things i already know and forgot b/c of the "fog" and anxiety i am in. So funny how we can give advice to people then when you are the one in it you forget everything you have been taught! lol!  
I appreciate your experienced advice and i am going to follow it. I love the protein idea.
and i am very out of balance. I can feel it within my self. Yes, it is getting better. I seem to notice a difference every couple days. And it will take time to get that balance back.
My tongue tiedness i know will get better. I think it is just everything you have both described and explained. It will get better. We just keep plugging away day by day moment by moment! And before you know it, we are balanced and all this is behind us and just a memory. a memory i will never forget so that i will never go through this again!!
Thank you again for everything. It just makes me feel so good to hear from you and to hear that all i am going through is so normal. I just hope this fog/anxiety thing doesn't last for much longer! i am on day 11. Yay!!! We are all getting there together. thanks for being my friends. i need them right now! Hope your days are good today!
What a great weekend i had. I had lots of important things going on with my kids this weekend. They all got baptized and i got to experience it not high! It was the greatest feeling ever. My anxiety is so much less and it was perfect! As every one says, sleep is the hardest thing. i am starting to lower my xanax a bit. i picked up some melatonin sleep aid. not sure how much it is helping, but i am sleeping. i wake up a lot, but go back to sleep. Just a lot of interrupted sleep. but i will take it! no complaints here!! Just thought i would update since i was so busy with crazy weekend!
Twinni...

I am so happy to hear you're doing better!  Remember to take time out for yourself and rest...Be gentle with yourself-it helps with the balance....Believe me, I learn this and work at it every day.  As Sandy mentioned-yoga is amazing for balance and one of the biggest parts of my life.  There are all kinds of different classes depending on your needs/fitness level.  It is the best tool I have found for managing my pain and stress levels...I actually said after class the other night "Yoga solves everything!"  (:  

Schedule in some 'me' time and keep up the awesome work...

Lu
thanks for the advice. i have been seriously thinking about getting back into my excising again. I am an all or nothing girl, probably part of my addictive personality. so i am going to work on going for a walk or doing my exercise videos "when i can" and not put so much pressure on my self. Just moderation in everything. Hopefully between the exercise and the moderation in it i can work on my inner balance that is so very much lacking. I had a hard night with my anxiety last night. seemed to go backwards a bit. So frustrating and hard! But i am so determined! I will not go back no matter what! It's not even an option! Thanks LU!!!
Hey...I get it.  I, too am an all or nothing girl!  Moderation is key to balance...Everything in moderation including moderation!  Anxiety is always going to be there to a certain extent...Life throws all kinds of things at us.  It's how we deal with it.  Deep breathing and exercise instead of popping pills.  Learning to go easy on ourselves.  You are doing an awesome job, girl...Just keep taking good care of yourself and making brave choices on your road to recovery...
Proud of you...
Lu
Hey i have a question.... As you all know i gave up the vicodin 15 days ago now, but still am taking the Xanax to sleep at night as i have since i started my vicodin habit. Never have taken more, just the 1mg at night to help me calm down from the vicodin so i could sleep. I have for a long time when i was taking the vicodin every day around 5pm would start w/d symptoms between 2 and 3pm and as soon as i would take my vicodin i would be fine. Now i am wondering if i am still having these "withdrawals" from the vicodin or is it the Xanax? was it the Xanax too and the vicodin would mask it?  Or is it still the vicodin w/d i am feeling? just curious. if this makes no sense let me know. basically just wondering if the feelings i am having are from the Xanax. Not sure when w/d start with Xanax?
I was just looking up xanax withdrawals and it sounds a lot like me. It also says that it can take up to a year for the w/d symptoms to go away depending on length of taking the xanax, even at a low dose. Oh, wow, i don't want to do this for a year. and i am really thinking it is the xanax w/d not the vicodin any more. i can live with it, but oh i don't want to for a year. yuck!  they say the half life is very short and you can feel w/d's even before your next dose. i really think my w/d symptoms in the afternoon through out the evening are from the Xanax. They just get worse until i take my little more than 0.5 Xanax now(was on 1mg) before i go to bed. I am determined, but i have to say this is very sad for me to know this. I hope some one else knows or has better news than this! lol! thanks
Hi Twinni,  Yes, xanax has a very short half life, especially when you compare ti with other benzodiazapines that are longer acting.  Are you trying to taper off of the xanax now?  Your last post indicated that you are now taking just over .50 mg instead of 1 mg.  

Tapering is a MUST for any kind of benzo.  We can't offer any tapering advice here on the forum - it is against MH policy.  This should really be done under a doctor's supervision as well.    It's hard to tell at this point if you're feeling withdrawals already from the xanax but it is possible since you cut your dose almost in half.  Before doing any more tapering, please consult your doctor;  if done improperly you run the risk of having a seizure.  And PLEASE don't try to CT this medication.  You could very well wind up in the hospital if you do.  

Post back so we can find out what your plan is regarding the xanax.  

Sandy

One other question - did you cut your taper by almost .50 in one day? I'm only asking this because I think its safe to say that cutting your dose in half all at once is probably too much.  If you want to send me a a PM with any additional questions you may have, please do so. I used to take benzodiazapines as well.  

Take care.....

Sandy
Sandy,

In your letter to me you mentioned me to contact my doctor about tapering then said don't try to CT this med, did you mean CUT? thanks
Feeling a little better today. at least so far. Just waiting til around 3:30, hopefully won't kick in so much today.
Hi twinni,

CT is Cold Turkey - no taper at all.  Glad that you're feeling a bit better, I hope it continues!

Sandy
Morning Twinni,

Just wanted to see how things were going with you.
Any problems with the xanax?

Have a great day...

Sandy
i called my dr today. he hasn't returned my call yet. i am having heart palpatations and it bothers me and scares me. i am hoping to talk to him b/c it's awhile before i will be able to get into see him. seeking his advice until the appt. thanks for asking.
You could always go to the ER if you're really concerned .. When it comes to your heart its better to be safe I think..
I read through all these comments and was inspired by how well you were doing despite your withdrawals. Have you spoken to your doctor? How are you doing? Addiction is a painful scary thing, but don't give up trying. Your family, friends and the universe all need you. I'm proud of you.