Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
what happens if you drink wine while on suboxone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

i am taking sub 2.5 mg per day, I went out to dinner and had two glasses of red wine with it. My dr. said its not a big deal if you drink alittle here and there, but not to go crazy. I am not a drinker, but i got nervous and wheni came home i read in the sub literature booklet that if you  drink with it it can cause a realllllllly bad thing to happen, i don't even want to say what, cause its too scary to even write, i wound paranoid, has anyone ever done this before ?
You turn into an orangoutang!
Sub is an opioid so alcohol will intensify the effects.
I drank while taking it.
What you need to do is get off it. It is not the answer.
Mimi,
I hope you're okay today hun.  How are you feeling today?  Please let us know!  
I took some out in Vegas a couple months back and got drunk as a bicycle. I felt kinda crappy the next morning, but I survived.
I drink all the time on it sorry I'm a bad patient but I do drink on ocasions like on the weekend I will have some drinks and yes I hate the fact that You get really wasted wile on sub and alcohool and NO you should nos mix them in the future you already did it but don't be me follow the instructions ok lol
im glad this post is here, i just remembered, im getting married next weekend and do you think it wouldbe on to take a few sip of champagne to toast, im also on sub.
scared a few sips is one thing just be very careful...

yeah mixing alcohol and sub is a bad mix.
do you think i should call my doctor and ask him?
when i was on sub. i did not drink,, my goal was freedom from active addiction
you ask if you can drink while you are on sub.
that all depends on what your goal is
drinking alcohol while trying to get clean is not something anyone should do
first of all it is considered a relasps
second and most important it has always led me back to my drug of choice and i am not unique, most addicts who drink alchohol go back to their drug of choice

i hate drinking, im not a drinker at all, but now you have me worried i dont wanna relapse, all i want to do is have a sip or 2 to toast at the wedding. would that be wrong?
I would say its just like mixing pain killers and boos you shouldnt do it but you already did, I would just stay away from it from now on. are you feeling ok after? Im not a good person to ask either because I have drank while out to dinner while taking my pain meds so shame on me. Mommie I wouldnt say that a sip would hurt for your wedding but thats me and my opinion. Once again just me but I wouldnt say thats a relapse thats a little much =)
to scaredmommie, it all depends on what you want
i work in treatment and we pound it into the patients head
alcohol is a drug, and it will eventually lead you back to your drug of choice
but i cannot make this descion for you, i know that i cannot drink because it will lead me back to my DOC
i have proven this to myself, time and time again
i am a member of na, but at work we use the aa big book a good bit
in the chapter working with others it talks about this topic, because it is so common
people still want to drink with success even when they are alcoholics
but once you are a pickle you can never go back to being a cucumber
once you have been addicted you cannot go back to using in moderation
ofcoarse there are exceptions to this rule
but in general i would rather see the patient refrain from drinking becuase they may end up strung out again or dead
but the bog book clearly states, if you are working with a chemically dependant person and they think they can drink, you should tell them to go out and test the waters, some aa old timers will even give you the money to buy your first beer
i feel that a few drinks is not worth my recovery, it is not

worth me going back to detox, it is not worth me becoming physically , emotionally and spiritually sick, i will not choose  alcohol over my kids my family, my recovery
it all goes back to what the individual wants, if alcohol os important to them, then they should drink and see what happens, if recovery is most important they should not drink

i suggest to everyone who is thinking about this, that is looking for information on this and other related topics to read the na basic text, it can explain this so much better than i can
you can find an online copy for free at na.org
it talks about all the things you can be doing for your recovery
also talks about relaspe and recovery, i believe on pages 98 and 99 it talks about what to do during illness, na even has a book dedicated to helping those like myself who live with chronic illness

the best suggestion i can give anyone is to read the basic text, after you read it you will be able to make a healthy decsion on this topic

good luck to all those out there that are struggling
the choices we make today will affect our future and our childrens future

being in recoevry is about doing the next right thing,we cannot cheange the past, and for me drinking is not the next right thing
I drank plenty on Sub and never had a problem. Im not saying its right and Im not proud of it. I just wanted to ease your mind that it never did anything to me. Definately try not too.
suboxone has saved my life if it wasnt for it i would be dead, or in prison.
I usually only read 2 things about suboxone in the forum,, should I take it and how do I get off of it. Yes occasionally I hear how it saved someones life but unless you plan on being on it for the rest of your life then sooner or later you will go thru wd"s. and unless you do it for a short time and taper correctly then you end up with wd"s that are far worse then what got you on sub in the 1st place,,,,but always remember that whatever works for you is right for you.