Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
what is the best way to detox from oxycodone??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been taking oxycodone regularly since the birth of my son 8 months ago from my severe back pain due to how much weight i gained while pregnant. I want my life back. I want to be healthy and sober for my son. I have heard that taking a laxative can help with the detox since constipation comes along with taking the pills. Has anyone else heard this or does anyone have any tips to make thia process a little easier for me since I am a stay at home mom and need to be able to take care of the baby?? Thank you to anyone who can give me any advice!
Hi & Welcome,

The last thing you want to do is take a laxative during withdrawal. While opiates do cause constipation, the detox will cause you to have diarrhea. You will find the need to take Imodium (immodium) instead. You will have flu like symptoms for the first 5 or so days, i.e. lack of energy, sleeplessness, stomach issues, achy muscles, etc. Hot soaks in the tub will help with the muscle aches. You will need to push fluids and stay hydrated. Keeping nourished by eating when you can is important and light exercise will help with the process as well. Some members found natural vitamin and minerals that helped them. Others will come on during the day and can help you with that. A good, positive attitude goes a long way during this process so think positive and know that it will not last forever, you will get through it and you are doing the right thing.

Is there anyone who can help you with the baby for a few days? You may find that you need the help. Also, are you still in pain? And if so, what will you be doing for the pain?
i would add vit. and supplements that worked for me htp-5, magnesuim, valarian root caps or tea, vit b6, vit b12 and if u can get to an NA meeting it will help. i found an NA chat room with meetings online very helpful. u r going to feel like poop but it will pass i promise. bananas, carrots and  beats help as does zinc and iron. good luck and dont give up. if u are having trouble call ur doc and let them know what u r doing be well
Hi there
Well the good news is that your not in too deep, yes it will be painful but right now you could detox and get it done and not have to much trouble post detox. Getting help with the baby would be something I'd highly recommend. I also got hooked after the birth of my son and if not for help. I'd never have made it. I was dxs with ddd and quickly got hooked on oxys. I spent 2 miserable years fighting to get off it. Detoxed a couple times only to go back a month in. Finally I decided to go on sub and have done well with that except for a couple slips. I wish I would have stayed quit after my first detox. But the addict mind is a tricky thing. We feel better and convince ourselves it'll be different this time. It never is.

Detox and don't look back ever. Your at the point right now where you can escape the grips of oxy and not suffer much post detox. The longer your addicted the worse it is post detox. Do it for that precious baby and do it for you and the future of you and your baby. The pill bottle is a bottomless pit, oxy will let you spiral down as far as you can go. It's up to you to decide where to draw the line. Do it now and you'll save yourself from a future of unbelievable suffering. Just my 2 cents, you'll do great and have your life back in no time!! Stay strong and post lots here. These people are incredible and will help you through every step of your journey back to life.
Thank you so much! It means a lot. I am definantly ready to quit and I am a very strong willed person in every orher aspect of so I believe that I can do it. Also with all this positive energy from the comments i have already gotten gives me a light at the end of the tunnel. One of my friends is deeper into the pills then I and we talked today and are going to do it together because she also has a child and we want to do it for the babies so we can be HEALTHY and happy mommys. I will definantly keep posting day by day because I feel like getting what i am feeling during my detox process will help. Once again thank you to each and every one of you. Everyone on this site is saving a life and I am so thankful that I am blessed enough to have complete strangers who care and have been in the same position as i am right now.
Get off if you in any way can bear the suffering and never look back. My doctor told me fifteen years ago that oxycodone would be wonderful for my back pain. Today I am up to 20 mg but every time I try going past 6 hrs. I suffer and eventually get to the point where I am crawling on the floor back to my pills. The last 2 months I have slowly cut myself back by breaking the pill in half and for a while sometimes had to take a half and a quarter. Today I am on a quarter and after another month plan to ask for Vicodin 7mg and if goes well 5mg. so pray for me. The first yr. I started, I did not know much about them and did not even realize I was hooked until I tried stopping