Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
what meds are given to baby withdrawing from methadone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

im 25 wks preg and on methadone maintnance .(59 mg) if baby is born with methadone in her system what meds are given? how long does she stay in hospital? do i have a say so on what meds are offered? should i breastfeed since im going to taper right after birth? thanks for any info.would also love love love to hear others birthing after methadone stories. any body have a baby drug free?
                                         anna
                               mother of an 8yr old boy prego w/ a girl
i suck at typing but i had ababy on methadone and it wasnt legal so anyways she cried for six months str8 she also cried untill she had a hernea in her navel  i know this ***** to hear but it is the truth now she is a smart and healthy 6 year old and the only person who knows about the withdrawls is god and i no permanet problems for her  and if u breast feed u will just prolong her getting over this some times i would feed her just to stop her from crying
I worked in the NICU..saw too much he11 too tell with babies born addicted..so it is best for me not to say/nor relive the horrors here//specially since this is impending fro ur child perhaps...it is hard to say exactly how sick ur baby will be//everyoy baby is different...and should have not posted..sorry
hi and welcome to the forum...im an x methadone addict been clean 107days now
but the reason im writing you is im personal friends with a neo/natal nurse that brings
babys off heroin ,methadone, oxy ,ext and I used the taper schedule she gave me for babys....they ween them off at  a 10%drop in dose every 72hrs and after doing this myself it is very doable ....Jenny is a very compassionate nurse they do there very best to keep the babys comfortable ...the main thing is you have to be honest with them when you go in...they need to know what dose your at to give the baby the right amount
to avoid withdrawals ...some of the moms lye about it and it just makes things harder for them...its much eazer knowing going into it she says then finding out after the fact and the babys in withdrawals...there not judgmental tords the mother they just want whats best for the baby.....I hope this brings you some comfort...good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
I have to agree with worried. I'm not judging you and I hope you and your baby are both healthy and happy.
Take Care.....LS
I would leave the meds given to your baby up to the hospital.  I dont think you really will have a say in what she is given.  I hope and pray she is okay.  All the best      sara
Hi my advise to u is go to ur dr and try and work out a way 4 u to bring you're self down as comfy as possible because it's in ur power to give birth to ur child drug free it may seem a million miles away now but u must try your baby is inocent and belive me it's the most horrible sound listerning to a baby sceamin from withdrawal  pls try and imagen how good uwill feel if u sucseed good luck xx em xx
hi i was on methadone when i fell pregnant i was on 30 mg the clinic didnt want me to taper  down during pregnancy and advised me against detox, when my son was born i was so scared he would be addicted he was on a special care baby unit for 3 days but he was fine he wasnt effected at all , so i think it all depends on how much you are on, i would try to bring yourself down abit the less you are on the better, i also had a friend who was on 35mg and her baby was fine.
my son was born addicted to methadone and his pediatrician prescribed him PAREGORIC.  i immediately called my father (who is a MD doctor) to ask him what kind of medication paregoric was. he told me it was a prescription that use to be over the counter when he was a child.(i live in Alabama so it was the 1950s when he was a kid. in some states paregoric was prescribed ) he said back when he was young my grandmother gave it to him from ages newborn-18 months of age for colic, diarrhea, cough and for pain. but as the years passed it became over the counter when studies show that it could be abused and can be addictive. this made me feel lots better knowing my son is taking a medication that my father felt was safe. i was ordered by the doctor to give him 45cc every 4 hours and was released from the hospital with my son on the 4th day. he is now 3 weeks old and is acting like a normal baby. he has a wonderful appetite, sleeps through the night (already!), very strong ,very much awake and alert during the day, has a good digestive system, gassy at times but all babies are, now weighs 9lbs 2oz , and he is now taking 40cc every 9hours. i couldn't be happier with all the help and advice his pediatrician gave me, he told me that we could wing my son off so slowly that he would never feel the pain of withdraws. God has really helped me through this situation and has made me have stronger faith in him than i have ever had before. so for all the women out there who are going through the same situation or similar situation, the only suggestions i have is to talk to your babies pediatrician about PAREGORIC and to have faith that God will see you and your baby through this difficult time. may God bless you and your new bundle of joy<3
i doesn't matter what mg of methadone you are on. i was on the same mg with both of my children while pregnant and my daughter (shes 2 now) never had one sign of withdrawals and my son ( 3 weeks old) had withdraws within 3 days of being at the hospital and is currently on a medication that's keeping from having them
I am a foster parent and take babies that are classed as fragile infants.  Most of my babies come from hospitals where they are apprehended at birth.  From all the drug withdrawals I have seen and watched these poor babies endure METH is the worst.  It is awful to watch a newborn cry in pain all the time and not able to be comforted in any way.  I have researched and researched different avenues to help these babies become more comfortable and the only thing I have found that works naturalpathic or other is Phenobarbital.  Although using a barbituate to help a baby come off a barbituate sounds strange it works almost instantly.  The babies get more sleep (and so do you) they stay calmer and eat better.  As long as it is controlled by a pediatrician and monitored once a week your home will become a happier place to live. I would prefer to go the natural way with something that is organic but haven't found anything that works.  If you have a suggestion I am all ears.
Please keep posting.I don't even want to think about what a newborn feels when born addicted. As a lifetime addict (multi years clean) I"ve been thru many wd"s and for a newboggrn to go thru it is just mind boggling. Keep posting and if the truth offends someone then,,,,oh well.
hi im on methadone matience also.i am on 210 mg and just had a baby girl.she is in the hospital.see i thought the higher you are on the more the baby would withdraw.that is not true at all.i talked to so many medical people and they all said the same thing u can be on 400 mg an the baby would have no symthoms you can be on 20 mg an the baby could show withdraws.it just depends on the persons body chemistry thats all.thanks for reading kat