Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
what to do

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

what to do

I have been thru 3 spinal fusions (two in the last yr.)  I have gone c/t from oxycodone 10mg and hydrocodone 10/650 --on day 2 now.  The problem I have is my back hurts so bad that it drives me crazy. I can handle the w/d's with hot showers, swimming, reading, ect.... but no otc helps with the pain.... any suggestions ?
Welcome to the forum Day 2 is a painful day as is 3 but it gets better and after 5 days its amazing how much it eases.. I can not take over the counter meds myself so I used Hot baths they really helped also my Dr. wants me to get acupuncture for my neck and back I have heard a lot of good things about it.. You will get more advice I'm sure it is late so hang in there.. lesa
One thing I do know is the pain people have in their backs etc..is always worse with w/ds..I have heard countless stories here about how the pain that people had actually had gotten better after they were off the pain meds for awhile. The problem with pain meds is they end up mimicking the very pain you started taking them for..you can google so much info on that.It's called opiate pain syndrom (syndrome). Have you gone to physical therapy? I know fusions are rough. There is a product out that is found in the vitamin isle caled osteo-bioflex.(something like that). it has helped my brother so much. he had L4-5 fused after he had injuries from a hi-low fall on him..just a thought..take care
Well... everything they said above is true! I have back problems as well... and mine got worse before better. Now I use ibuprofen and tylenol...I also get massages when I can. That helps alot!

You can do this... just keep posting!
JoAnn
I have a fusion and chronic pain...doesnt seem like those fusions help too much do they?  massage, yoga, chiropractic, and steroids when i have too is how i have been managing...muscle relaxers if i have too as well...dont like them tho...lots of support here..welcome
Thanks for all the advise.... this site is a Godsend..... good luck to all ....