Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
what's the deal with PAWS?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

what's the deal with PAWS?

So, I heard about  Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, but before I overload myself with researching this, does anyone have any actual experience with this?  Is it real?  I am just wondering if just passing the 60 day mark was the real reason I started feeling so triggered to use yesterday & today.  I have been on opiates for years and before this quit, never made it past the intial detox so this is all new for me.

Tags: PAWS
Most people "claim" to have it and many, many use it as an excuse to use again. PAWS does occur but very, very, very rarely. If you read about it you will swear you have it. The mind plays tricks on you after detox and landmarks like 30, 60 and 90 days trigger the brain. How much do members here stress that the mental part of this disease takes you down faster. That is why some stress aftercare-aftercare-aftercare. I would not be her if it were not for that. I could not do it alone and needed outside help. It saved my life.

Akita--just my two cents--but you used because that is what we do. I did it so many times. I don't use today and haven't for a bit because I sought help for the problem--ME. The drug is what I used to cover the "problem"..which again is me. I couldn't STAY clean until I began to get to the core issues. Just putting down the drug wasn't enough. I had to change my behavior, my thinking, my friend, my job..etc.

Members panic when they her PAWS and I rarely get into a discussion about it because it usually gets ugly but I hope maybe I gave you another perspective.

If nothing else, I am glad you came here and got honest. We are here to support you. Maybe it is time to do something different?
I've also heard about PAWS, and have read posts in which folks claim to have experienced it. If you think about what we've done to our body and brain during our time using, it makes sense. I used off and on for over 15 years. To think that all will be well in 100 or 120 or 360 days is illogical.
My biggest struggle is the mental part of recovery; that never stops, and may in fact be a part of PAWS.
PAWS is real but it effects everyone differently..
It's been 21 days for me and my symptom is insomnia.  Don't have cravings or anything else.

Like Kyle said we didn't get our bodies in this position overnight and it takes a while for our bodies to fully recover

So it does make sense that even after 120 days I am still not ME!!  There is hope~!
There is always hope. Time is your friend and your enemy. We spend years abusing our minds and bodies. We cannot expect to heal in a few short months. But as typical addicts we want what we want and we want it now so we panic when we don't get instant gratification-in this case-get well. Time, time, time.........

To quote  very dear friend here who told me "I need to slow my roll"...
I agree with  IBkleen   , don't even read in to that ...you're getting healthy and you will be fine....go forward with your life
yeah, that's why i just asked.  I know how powerful the mind is & if I start reading into this, I am going to go insane.  Thats what happened with me and xanax.  I just don't know how to move on with my life past detox.  I know that sounds pathetic. I just have no idea what to do now that I am finally sober. What the hell do sober people do? lol
Hey girl, i can so relate to you!  Ok i am approaching 90 days next week and when i was around 60-70 days clean i had really bad triggers that didn't go away for like 2 weeks, finally its gone again.  WOW, talk about my mind messing with me, it sure was not easy i came here and posted and got help, confided in my therapist and hubby and made it through, it feels good to know that i didn't let the devil win, but i know it is so darn hard.  As for life sober, take in the air, the smell, the sights, and just sit back and enjoy life clear and level headed.  I do get bored, and boredom leads to trouble so i change up what i am doing, for example when i was going through that 2 week period of really bad triggers, i went to the beach for the weekend, i can't believe it, but it helped!!!!  You are doing great, keep up the good work, and hold your clean time close to the vest.. Proud of you
  I needed to read Danes post today....So well put, thank you....
I totally remember when u went through that too!  I am so glad u made it through.  Thank you for your post, just knowing i'm not alone really helps me relax.  
We are all in this together, through the good times and the bad, i am just going through life as it comes, i get some triggers here and there and say to myself, there is no way i can go down that road again.  I learned from the last time that when times get hard to reach out for help, so just coming here to MH  it is a life saver!  keep up the good work