Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
when to take subutex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

when to take subutex

I hope someone can help me please,, I am coming off of heroin and have been given a taper protocol for subutex to take at home. My last heroin use was 10pm last night and it is now 10:26am the next morning. When can I take the subutex safely as I am afraid of what I read happens if you take to soon..

The Dr said I should wait as long as possible, but can anyone who has experience with this tell me when is it safe to take. I am in beginning of withdrawals now and also have anxiety. I was given klonodine for this, which I am taking and it helps... Any help is greatly appreciated as I just want to be free and get my life back.

thnx
teh clonodibne helps to mask some of the withdrawl (withdrawal) so I dont know what to do. Of course I am an addict and want to take the subutex but dont want to take to soon...

What should I do??
Contact your doctor he really should have given you a time .I am not sure with heroin wd when its safe .I would try to go as close to 24 hours as you can .unless you can contact the doctor or there is someone who is more knowledgeable with heroin use.
there is a great article about subutex ,go to the bottom right on this page and click on suboxone/subutex,it should be helpful to you.
I agree with avisg. Contact your doctor for an exact time. tell him what symptons you are currently experiencing and that should be able to help him come up with a time frame for you. For me (as I am on Sub) I waited almost 24 hours before I took by first dose of Subutex. I was coming off of a 65+ pills a day (sometimes more) of Norco 10/325. I was also told to wait as long as I could. No mind you, I was not coming off of heroin and everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways. I do believe that the longer you CAN wait the better. I was scared only waiting 22 hours or so, but I almost couldn't take it anymore and I took my first dose. it took about 45 minutes or so to fully take effect but it did work, and it worked well for me. It pretty much curbed my physical from that time on. I am trying the 21-30 day Sub treatment. For me personally, I think the longer the better, but again, call your doctor as your were on heroin and I was not. You also might want to speak to others who have been there/done that if you will. I think I read somewhere that if you are going from Heroin to Sub you need to wait longer then going from pills to sub, but I am not sure if I read that here or somewhere else. It might have been on the Sub website. If you type in Subutex Suboxone and do a search, there official sight should pop up and you can call them and tell them your situaition. They actually have a chart that you can print (called COWS) and it is a 10 question "survey" that you fill out, total up your numbers to the questions and that helps you gauge when to take your first Dose. That is what I did and it worked great. I filled out the questionaire at hour 14 and determined that I was not at a high anough number on the COWS scale to take my first dose. Then at hour 22 or something I took the survey again and after adding up my numbers/responses I then decided it was time. It is a handy chart to have. I will look it up on line and send it to you. Good luck my firend!
Here si the "COWS" scale to help you gauge when to take your first dose. I would fill it out and also call your doctor and the Suboxone line as they have a fairly knowledgeable staff there. The chart (and my doctor) definitely helped me pick the right time.
Hope this helps
http://www.suboxone.com/pdfs/DosingGuideA.pdf
I also wanted to clarify that when I said the longer the better, I did not mean for being on Sub, I meant the longer you wait to take it the better. Ooopppps. Good luck through all of this.
RE:  " I was given klonodine for this, which I am taking and it helps."

Do u mean klonodine, blood pressure med used for WD's or Klonopine, a benzodiazapine used for anxiety? The reason I ask is if it is the benzodiazapine, use strictly as prescribed.

As for the isue of when to start the Subutex regimen, it really isn't "too" big an issue except you should just wait until the onset of withdrawals. They don't have to be extreme. Simply start your Subutex regimen when you start feeling poorly from the WD's. But if your up for it when the WD's begin wait as long as possible.