Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
when will it stoppp??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

when will it stoppp??

Ive been clean for 11 days now and im proud of myself but the anxiety is still as strong as ever if not worse..i feel it in my chest mostly but im still just so weak when will the anxiety stop!!
I am sorry you ares till going through this. Did you have anxiety before you began the pills?

Have you considered seeing your doctor? I always recommend members get a good check up (complete with blood work) after stopping drugs. Get honest with your doctor and ask for help. There are also natural supplements that you can take for anxiety but I am hesitant to recommend anything seeing as I do not know if you are on any other meds. Your best bet would be your physician.
Do you have an anxiety disorder when you are not coming off of pills?  Do you take any other meds?  Congrats on 11 days!  You're going to be fine, and it does get better!
Have you tried anything natural like Valarian root? There are a lot of people here who have advise about natural remedies for anxiety. Hang in there and keep posting, reading.
I know what you mean, I feel the same way.  What are you detoxing from?  Day 11 is awesome.  I can't wait until I am there.  Keep up the great work:)
Anxiety oh boy do I hear you loud and clear. No advice but know im here.
Anyone know why coming off pain pills causes anxiety? What's the science behind it? It's killing me too.
This is from the first response I got on this site!  It made a lot of sense to me. Thanks Luckytwice for the great advice!!

You have to remember how opiates work, and why you feel depressed etc. when you quit taking them and after you are over the withdrawals.

Opiates bound to the opioid receptors in your brain and body. They release their artificial endorphins to them, and block the bodies natural endorphins. After a while the neurons that produce the body's natural endorphins disappear. There is no need for them so they just don't rejuvenate like they would normally.

When you stop taking the opiates,  they leave your opioid receptors bare, and they are calling out for your body's natural endorphins, but there isn't any there at first. You body has to repopulate the neurons that make them, and this takes time.

Endorphins like dopamine  control your moods, anxiety, sadness, anger, happiness, pain etc.

You will slowly get your "old self" back as these neurons repopulate and begin increasing their endorphins production. After being off the opiates for a month, they should be about 45-50% of normal, and be back to normal within a year.
So hang in there, you will feel better and better as the months roll by, and they roll by pretty darn quick when we get to our age, don't they!

Try keep busy and keep your mind focused on positive things instead of dwelling on the depression, anxiety, etc. that are only temporary and will disappear as your endorphins return to normal.