Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
why do they give methodone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

why do they give methodone

I think I have asked this question a million times. Why do they give methodone to addicts if it is addictive and gives you a high? I know people that were on opiates/pill and now they can't get off the methodone. I really don't understand. I don't want to come across as harsh I just want to understand. I relate to it as giving a Oxycotin addict lortabs for their addiction. I'm so curious with all of this I want to understand.
What are Loratabs I see people talking about this all the time.
When I was on Methadone (1969 and 1988), they gave it to me to help with the withdrawal and to curb the cravings. If used as maintenance, it is used to keep the patient away from the drugs and allow them time to get their lives back in order.

Personally, I think the devil invented it because although it may do those things, it has the worst long term side effects of anything and it is a bear to come off of.

Did they think this through? Hell no!!!!!!! But they are making money.....
LORATAB=HYDROCODONE
'done never gave me a high, but it did make me ignore the pain.  it doesn't take it away, just makes you mentally numb to it.  as far as i am concerned, it should never be used unless the patient is terminal.  the withdrawels from it are harder than rom nearly anything else as it binds to the fatty tissue in your body.  i lost 20 lbs going through wd's from it in a three week period.  nasty stuff.  it helps to know theorigin of the drug---it was invented by Hitlers scientists to make the soldiers able to continue fighting after being wounded.
Wow, Hitler scientist? That would explain a lot. Isn't Methodone the main drug that killed Anna Nicole Smith?
Yes Lortabs, hydrocodone, oxycodone, vicodin, percocet they are all pretty much the same pain drugs in different strengths. Opiates
I don't have any personal or professional experience with Methadone.  I do know the theory behind it's use though.  It's SUPPOSED to be dosed at the point that w/d s/s are reduced but no high at all is experienced.  It's also SUPPOSED to be given over an EXTREMELY short period of time.  It's supposed to be reduced in dose after the first day and continue to be reduced thereafter.  I think sometimes, if not more often, prescribed any which way in a manner that does not allow the physician to tailor the med. and dosing schedule with the patient.  I hear a lot of horror stories with it here, and the dosages and time involved with the med. don't jive with the literature stating how it's to be used.  Of course everyone is different, but since it is so highly addictive, you'd think other things would be tried first.  I'd think it shouldn't be used at all unless someone is super sick from w/d and there's no other options.  The med.'s availability is supposed to be limited so that the patient needs to come everyday to get a dose and that they'd never have any themselves.  It's a shame the public doesn't know all there is to know about what they're being prescribed.  - and thanks for the info., I learned something new today, didn't know Hitler was responsible for the med.
I know methadone is bad stuff but it does help some rare cases.  My brother was addicted to everything, heroin, pain pill, alcohol, anything he could get his hands on. He lived in half way house's or on the streets for most his life.  Any way long story short, he went on methadone and straightened his whole life out. Got an apartment, stopped drinking and doing street drugs.  I think it should be used when all other options are exhausted. It lets severe addicts lead a somewhat normal life.