Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
wife on heroin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

wife on heroin

i just found out my wife is on heroin for the past year.she is shooting it..before that she was taking percocets for about 2 years...she is doing about 100 dollars a day and says she does not want to be a addict anymore..she seems serious but i watch tv..i want to help her and support her..she went to a doctor who prescribed suboxum but she said it made her real sick..now she says she is going to go on methadone then on to a preventive blocker ...i read all the bad things about methadone and suboxum but she needs something...i say she needs to go to a detox first then to a dr. for the help but i know nothing about heroin except what you see on tv ....we have no family and we have 2 kids so going to rehab we would not have any help with the kids...i have to work to pay the bills....any suggestons please help
Tags: HEROIN
Hi & Welcome,

I have to suggest that she get into a treatment center, as long as possible. She not only needs to stop taking the drugs but she needs to get help with the issues that caused her to use drugs in the first place. There are many sides to the disease of addiction and if all are not addressed, the chance of relapse is great.

Understand that your wife is addicted to a drug that numbs her feelings. The drug is her friend and her family right now, and the method in which she takes it plays a big role as well.

I do not believe Suboxone would be a good choice for her so it is probably best that she had a reaction to it. I cannot recommend Methadone at all! It will take her down as fast as the heroin did and then where is she? And where are you and your children?

Please consider in-patient treatment before you say no. There are centers who take indigents often once a month or every three months. You will have to do the footwork to find one. They may be also able to give you some suggestions for the children. She is no help to them now other to possibly care for their basic needs.

Stick around here and listen to other members. There is a lot of good support here and you will hear different suggestions. I wish you and your family the best.
probably the suboxone made her sick because you're supposed to wait until you are in withdrawal before you start taking it, otherwise it gives you precipitated withdrawal. aside from all that, i am guessing she got the subs off the street? not good. 2nd, why are you the one posting if SHE wants to get clean. don't get me wrong, my hat's off to you for trying to be helpful. she must have a true desire to quit. do you think she is just fronting because you found her out? that is very common. it's what we all said once our little secret came into the light. this thing is going to be a very hard road for you both, even harder if she isn't ready to stop. there's really not alot you can do on your own for her. please keep coming on here for support. you can surely find that here. i trully hope that she comes on here. we basically have to come crawling, tails between our legs, having reached out bottom with nowhere left to go but up. even then it may take several tries. even then, there are no guarantees. you will all be in my prayers now. peace, sway
her mother went missing around 8 years ago and has never been found  is part of the addiction..i have the insurance to cover the treatment center...she went to one for 3 weeks when she was on the percocets and also went to a psyc dr...she went to meetings for about 3 months when she got out of rehab and relapsed i believe while going to the meetings and started doing heroin because it was cheaper then the pills  ..she told me this time shes had enough not like before when i kind of forced her into rehab but she is afraid of the withdraws from the heroin....will detox then out patient care work for heroin or does it take more then just that if you really want to be clean......daycare for the kids is not possible because i work different days and hours and daycares want what hours and days they will be there ....if i worked nomal hours daycare would be the way out ,,,any suggestions..i will be reading
she told me and i did this just to find out about it..she went to a doctor friday on her own and got the suboxone from her....i am going to show her this and hopefully  she does start to post on here
I hope she does post. It would be best that she come on and let us get to know her.

In the meantime, I can only share my experience. Heroin is my drug of choice and it took me several tries to get clean. It was only when I was just so tired and so sick that I gave in. It finally hit me that I could not do alone. When she gets to that point she will know what I mean.

Hope to see you back here.
I agree with IBkleen as heroin was also my drug of choice. It took me 13 yrs to get 100 plus days clean and i lost count the amount of times i tried to come of heroin. I loved her ,she was my best friend I would do anything to have her This is what HEROIN does to us. I will also tell you that to come of HEROIN  she needs Support,Determination,willpower,and most of all she must wantto stop using HEROIN herself she must want to stop.Im afraid you cant make her stop thats the drug HEROIN for you.I wish you luck and plz come back and let s know how things are going ,,,,,James