Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
will novacaine be effective?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

will novacaine be effective?

Hi all, i have been on suboxone for 1 yr. I have a dentist appt. on Tues. where i will be getting 2 rootcanals, needless to say, i am terrified. Does anyone know or can anyone share any experience, they may of had with the dentist/novacane and will it work while on suboxone? Thanking you all in advance!
Don't know about sub but I had many root canals and novacain worked. I never needed pain meds. Good Luck. I'd tell the dentist your on Sub. He will know what to do . Corey
Thankyou, i've also had root canals before, but never while on suboxone.
There is no problem with the novocaine. It will still work just fine with no adverse affects. You will want to do something else for pain besides narcotics though. Probably should talk to the Oral Surgeon about it. He may put you on something for a day or three........
thank you so much, i am quite relieved to hear this!
Yes, Novacaine will work just as it does for people not on Buprenex/Suboxone. So at least during the precedure you will be fine. For the pain afterwords you should get some advice from a doctor who knows about Suboxone. But I have used Vicodin while on Buprenex and it can give addtioanl relief. Maybe up your sub. But if you can just get through the pain with Motrin and someones loving on you then go that way and nit increase your Sub intake.
Bart.  
I am worried about the same problem as I need a root canal too. This is one of the main reasons I am tapering quiclkfrom subs quickly b/c  I have dental pain. I will have someone hold me meds for me though. Good luck and I know how you FEEL!! :(  :((
While I agree that dental pain STINKS.....people with a jistory of opiate dependency or addiction need to be VERY careful.  It is SO easy to slip back into one's old ways starting with just a few, for a few days.  High dose Motrin (800 mg every 6 hrs around the clock...not just "as needed") can surprisingly be VERY effective for dental pain (among other things).  IMO....it is worth giving ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING non-narcotic a try when it comes to these situations....and leave the opiates as a VERY LAST POSSIBLE RESORT.  

Also, if opiates end up being unavoidable.....use the smallest amt for the shortest time possible.  Post procedure dental pain, while it can be terrible...improves very quickly in most situations.  Ice to the face near the area worked on can also be very helpful.

I had a root canal (1st ever) a few months ago....and I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how little pain there was afterwards.  It was there, but it was very tolerable...and only really hurt for about 2-3 days, each day getting better and better.

Lastly....OnOxy's....even with you tapering off the subs.....unless you were OFF them completely for several days (even weeks), it will still significantly interfere with the abilty of any opiate to work...which can lead you to be tempted to take more, just to obtain some relief.  What I'm saying is...keep that in mind.....the Sub will still be in your system, therefore rendering any opiate in standard doses useless.  At least for the type of pain relief you would be hoping for anyway!

Please just tread very carefully.....and above all, be honest with yourself.  I think you'd be surprised at just how much you can withstand, especially if you know it is only temporary and will improve rather swiftly.  I have had pt's undergo some seriously painful surgeries/procedures with nothing more than an occasional tylenol for relief post-op.  Always amazes me....being that I myself am quite a sissy when it comes to pain!  ;0)  Just know it IS possible.

Also, if your dentist is aware of your history.....and the pain remains pretty bad after a few days....you could also maybe discuss going back in for additional Novocaine injections.  Sure, you'll be drooling on yourself, but you will be more comfy!  :0)

Load up on some of your fave movies...make a whole big bowl of jello/pudding, etc....and do whatever you can to try to distract yourself from the discomfort.

Best of luck...I feel for you...but maybe you'll surprise yourself!!!!
I'm in the process of getting dentures.  Having some pre-work done, with  a couple of teeth pulled here and there..he put me on percs but I didn't need them on the 3rd day after...what I'm not looking forward to is getting all my top teeth yanked next month.

arrrgh.

jim
u wont have any problems with anything a dentist would use on you except for any pain meds given for take home pain. You have two choices: 1. you can go off the suboxone the day before u have surgery and take the pain meds as ordered (not recomended for those who are just starting suboxone for withdrawl (withdrawal) or who have a problem with narcotics) you can resume your suboxone with no probems  2. you can talk to your dentist about giving you a non narcotic pain medication. I recently had surgery and took an antimflamatory with tylonol along with my suboxone and did great. the choice is up to u and ur dentist. as with all medications, always tell ur doctors and ur dentist of all ur medications and allergies.  thx
That is very good advice! : )  However it is true and unfortunate that not any of us is the same; with pain, as another.....  Some people have a very high tolerance of pain!  While some others may have a very low tolerance for pain.  Also every procedure effects each person differently each time!  I have had many kidney infections, for example, one that was SOOO INCREDIBLY PAINFUL FOR OVER 3weeks- words cannot describe!  It was more painful than childbirth or anything ever!  When another kidney infection I had was not nearly half as painful as that ONE particular k.i.......   just saying, absolutely avoid pain killers! at all costs! and try to bear the pain, and when the pain is too much to bear you will definitely know it! so if you are unsure if the pain is bad enough or not for pain killers, than most likely it is not bad enough for pain killers! you CAN wait it out!  If the pain IS BAD ENOUGH for pain killers, than there will be no question in your mind about it!!!