Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
worried about corrosion of nose from cocaine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

i am 19 and i have been snorting cocaine for the last 6 months. the addiction is not a problem itself as i have had such  a scare. i havent done any in the last 12 days and dont intend to ever again. at the start of the 6 months i did it approx every other week then about 1-3 times a week for 4 months and up unitl 12 days ago i did it once a week.

since i can remember i sometimes get a bit of a scabby nose as if there is a cut up there. then as i got into doing the cocaine i have realised it happens more. i dont really get nose bleeds tho. ive read some posts on the nasal septum corroding. how do i know if this is happening to me? the peice between my nostrils feels thin, now that i have stopped using, will the corrosion continue?
please get back to me as i cant stop thinking about this.
thanks
The corrosion will stop, I think. But any damage to the cartilage, I do believe is permanent. You are wise to quit this now. Hang tough, as cocaine is such a mental battle to quit.
You are right to be concerned, but what you describe doesnt sound so serious as to have done your septum damage already....and it should bounce back from this one. But you dont get many chances with that stuff. Count yourself lucky and take care of yourself..
stopping now is a good thing and it will not continue to corrode if u stop...if u had a hole u can actually feel air wheeze thru it and may feel the flap of skin at times...i dont think u have gone this far so be glad uhave not
snorting pills can do this same thing   fyi...it happened to my sponsor
im sure kicking the habit wont be a problem as i never used it extremely hard like everyday, but i did take large amounts when i did.  
if there was a hole, would it continue to get bigger or stay the same/heal?
how can i make sure there is no hole?
thanks
listen buddy, kicking the habit may not be too bad right now, but i promise if you continue to do coke you won't be able to stop. if you have used coke for 6 months the chances of you detaching your septum is next to impossible, but if you continue, that hole gets bigger and bigger and that hole never ever heals. the scabs and dead tissue will, but it takes a bit of time. stop doing coke, don't go through what i did. and YES, after you stop using it will still eat away at your nose, till those scabs stop. for me it took about 4 months as a heavy user. it may take only a month or so for you. good luck,  drugs are a dead end road and your so young. at this point for 6 months of use i think your nose will be fine, just quit now.
I think u would know if there was an actual hole...u would here the air or feel the sair wheeze thru it when u breath or sneeze....u could go to the doctor and get it checked it if is worry you...i am a nurse so i would probably probe it with a q-tip but if you have sores or scabs in there i would not do it...i would put some antibiotic ointment in there if u have any sores or scabs
I don't know how long my brother did coke but he had what was called a deviated septum...just stop using anyway..worse things can happen to you then that..I am gald you are concerned..please just stop now while you can..you can do it and you will be glad...
wel since ive been off it, its no longer painful. when i breathe through my left nostril (the x painful one) with my finger over the other one it whistles a bit but if i do the other one its silent. is this normal? im 100% sure my coke days are over, its just adds to problems. ive allready done the hard part.
thanks
Keep it up and you won't be able to smell. You will get permenant damage and does alot more to your heart than it does to your nose. Also the coke today is cut with so many different things there is no telling what you are putting up your nose. There are more deaths from bad coke now than ever before. Please stop now.
i have, what are hte symptoms of the heart problems?
As you get older in life you will experience high blood pressure. You could have heart problems. You will have major anxiety the rest of your life. Hypertension will be the first thing you will experience. This is if you continue to use. The amount you have used so far should not cause problems. There are alot of people with the issues I mentioned. You can also cause tissue damage to your heart,nose,throat and lungs.
so do you htink for someone my age if i never touch the stuff agen, i will  bounce back completely? thanks
Hi all,
Im 28 now, and used coke heavily for about 3 years,
my nose is thinned on the inside, although there is no hole.
the skin is worn away. i also have high blood pressure, and tinnitus (ringing in the ears) I will never touch the stuff again, i have quit smoking also, this is a good way to help the healing process for damage done. I am excercising often, and am praying that one day, my nose will heal, my blood pressure will return to normal, and i will rid myself of the tinnitus. I wish i could go back to that 'first time' and say NO but i cant, i have to live with it. stop now! if you have none of the above, then you are very lucky, i would not wish it on anyone. stop now, and start living!
I have snorted coke for along time and ate the inside of my nose away I can literally put my pinky in one side and threw to the next side if I shine a light up there its all open there is no separation at all so you should stop its crazy!!! Really freaks people out.

yes it can wear a hold in your nose as i have one myself. They told me if it gets any bigger the nose can collasp. Stop while you are a head. It has been over 6 years since i had used and it never has healed.
I am 20 and have been using cocaine about everday for the last 8 months or so, the last month or two I started noticing I get major migraines in my right temple ( I use my right nostril.) I also suffer from severe congestion at the end of the night where I cant breathe in or out of my nostril for a few hours. Since the symptoms have gotten worse the last month or so I did a good look in my nose and the wall of my nostol seems to have cocaine corroded. I think the corrosion of it is why I have been having the problems of head ache and congestion a lot. I don't want to hear the "quit" but I want to know if anyone else has had or heard of the same issue.