Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
xanax ween off plan

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

xanax ween off plan

been taking .1mg of xanax at night for 2-3 weeks,I didnt take it one night and around noon the next day felt dizzy with blurred vision and faint floating colors in my vision,didnt feel all there so I think this was a xanax w/d and need a ween off plan for my current dosage and duration of use.should I just cut the dosage in half for a week and then try stopping cold turkey?
im sorry 1mg not .1mg
2-3 weeks really isn't that long.  Most docs wouldn't even recommend a taper.  Really, the biggest issue I would maybe expect to see is some rebound insomnia.  I'm assuming you were taking it for sleep?

Talk with your doc, he could help you with a taper over a period of a few days.  Honestly though, I wouldn't drag it out much longer, because you'd would actually be unnecessarily increasing the length of time you'll be on the Xanax.

Good luck!
yep,I was taking it for sleep but it was not perscibed
and i seriously felt like i was going to faint
Ok, I see.  

I don't doubt that you felt bad, but was the Xanax a contributing factor?  Maybe.  I personally don't think so.

Do you have a history of anxiety?  Also, you're posting on addiction forum, do you have a history of addiction?  If so, you must be VERY careful about taking habit-forming meds like benzos, especially if they are not prescribed to you.

In my unofficial opinion, I don't think you are in any kind of danger stopping the Xanax after such a short period of time, but that being said, I think it's a good idea to run everything by your doctor.  Your symptoms may be related to something else that needs addressed.  The symptoms you had aren't anything to blow off...and like I said, I really don't think it was related to the Xanax.  Typical Xanax w/d presents very differently.

If you have a history of anxiety, that could explain your symptoms completely...especially since you skipped a dose of the Xanax, that would definitely trigger an increase in anxiety.

Have a pow wow with your doc as to the symptoms and how to proceed.  Don't put it off, though, as you really don't want to keep taking the Xanax, and then you WILL have to contend with w/d's.
nope, no history of anxiety and i will tell my doc about it......thank you