Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
zanex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

zanex

Help! I just found out my sixteen year old is taking unprescribe zanex, its a popular drug in the school - is what the police officer tells me. How do i check how long my son has been taking it? and what do i do now to help him?
Hi Marlo,  I was saddened to hear of your sons' drug problem. I have two grown children, 30 & 29. As teenagers, my kids smoked marijuana, and tried extecy, (sp?). We had a sit down and discussed the reasons the why what and when in agonizing detail, (for all three of us).  There is often an undertlying reason for teenagers to want to feel something besides 'normal'.  Experimenting with drugs and/or alcohol is unfortunately all too common in schools all over this country.  When our children abuse the trust we give them, they should lose their right to total privacy.  Most drug stores now carry test strips for all kinds of drugs.  You might want to speak to a counselor at a drug rehabilitation center.  You might ask the school to take away your sons locker for a semester.  Maybe carrying around heavy books would be a small deterrent. Periodic 'room tossing' is also a way to curb your sons ability to secret his drugs. I feel that your son should probably go to some counseling, (at least short term), to try to determine if his life is so hard to handle that he feels the need to escape into a zanex fog. Overreaction is better than underreaction. Drugs can kill our children.  Only our Dr.s and Pharmacists know how to prescribe/fill our drug needs according to our body and health issues.  Some kids think 'if a little bit is good, alot would be better', then they O.D., and some of them die!!   Good luck to you in your loving concern and dealings with your sons mistake.  Ant B