Addiction Expert Forum
ANTABUSE ALLERGY
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ANTABUSE ALLERGY

My boyfriend has been taking Antabuse for 5 weeks, has had quite severe reactions to deodorant
when on 1 tablet a day, no reaction though to a beer on 1/2 dose a day.
But now, three days after having one beer he got REALLY sick for two days, diahorrea, vomiting, red splotches, high blood pressure, dizziness, confusion, the works.
He takes meds for high blood pressure anyway, should he be taking Antabuse at all?
Is he having an allergic reaction to the Antabuse itself? The only thing that could've triggered all of this was
vinegar in salad dressing... was really severe, though... he had some other toxic stuff on the weekend, a little bit
of speed, could that have caused a toxic overload maybe?

Is it safe for him to continue using Antabuse? Our doctor isn't very helpful, bit blase' about the dangers of it...

Help would be appreciated, dunno wot to do!

Tx.
Related Discussions
  • Anabuse (5 replies):
    I am a daily drinker and have been for years. Every othe...[more]
  • Antabuse (1 replies):
    My husband is an alcoholic and everyday I have been givi...[more]
  • antabuse and alcohol (12 replies):
    hi.. my father is a drinker for about 20 years, he is ag...[more]
  • antabuse (7 replies):
    I was into a chat room for those of us taking antabuse a...[more]
  • ANTABUSE ALLERGY? (2 replies):
    My boyfriend has been taking Antabuse for almost five we...[more]
666151_tn?1311117976
Antabuse has become something used only for 'last ditch efforts' against alcoholism, because of the significant risks of the medication.  On one hand, some people will drink chronically on antabuse and somehow adjust to the sickness that follows.  But on the other hand, drinking on antabuse CAN be fatal.  The drug prevents the normal breakdown of alcohol, leading to build-up of toxic metabolites that in low doses cause flushing and nausea, and in high doses can kill a person.  Vinegar goes through the same breakdown pathway as alcohol, at least partally, which is why it made him sick.  ALL products that contain alcohol must be avoided-- including certain deodorants and other skin products.  Even cooking with wine can be dangerous, as the alcohol vaporizes and potentially enters the lungs, where it can cause a severe response.

This is not an 'allergy'-- these are the expected effects of antabuse.  The decision whether to take it depends on the balance of risks.   Untreated alcoholism has a high fatality rate itself, not to mention the risk of incarceration, unemployment, etc.  Those risks must be weighed against the risk that the person will have a bad reaction to alcohol from antabuse.

One thing is certain-- something must go, either the antabuse or the occasional drinking.  I recommend the latter over the former.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1350782543
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank